Refurbished Toshiba Chromebook (CB35-A3120)

Expired
Refurbished Toshiba Chromebook (CB35-A3120)
$139.99 after Coupon & Rebate
(was $199.99)
Free Shipping
Click to Copy Code & Shop Now
Enter code: VCO
Coupon Details:  $20 Off w/ Visa Checkout
.
Download Mail In Rebate
Rebate Details:  $40 MIR
.
.

Shop Now ►   Newegg
1.0% Cash Back
1.0% Cash Back for FatWallet members on this purchase!
» What is Cash Back?
» Cash Back Details
.
More Newegg Offers
  • Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz Processor
  • 2 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 16 GB Solid-State Drive
  • 13.3-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
  • Chrome, Epic 9.0-hour battery life


4.2/5 Stars based on 275 customer reviews on Amazon.

Compare at Amazon for $222.64 shipped.  

Pricing and availability may have changed since this deal was posted.

  • filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Newegg has the Refurbished Toshiba Chromebook 13.3", 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 100GB Google Drive on sale for $189.99 - $40 MIR - $20.00 coupon code "VCO" = $129.99 w/ Visa checkout. Shipping is free.

Compare at Amazon for $222.64 shipped.

  • Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz Processor
  • 2 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 16 GB Solid-State Drive
  • 13.3-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
  • Chrome, Epic 9.0-hour battery life


4.2/5 Stars based on 275 customer reviews on Amazon

 

Moderator Comment: Edited for price drop. — Aug. 8, 2014 @ 12:42pm
Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have the 14" HP Chromebook and liked it for consuming media and info, but went back to a full blown Win7 because (1) v... (more)

ck90211 (Aug. 16, 2014 @ 1:34p) |

It's pretty easy to put this thing into developer mode, load Crouton, and install Linux on it. At that point, there's re... (more)

jplee3 (Aug. 16, 2014 @ 8:57p) |

Thanks, looks like an awesome deal! I have been looking for a cheap laptop for my 1st grader. Assuming he only uses web,... (more)

Mulox (Aug. 18, 2014 @ 12:17p) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
hm, 13.3" display vs 11.6" on the Acer c720...

rated:
I am actually typing this post on one of these Toshiba Chromebooks. Its a pretty nice little machine, we never notice any slowdowns or lag ... its literally "instant-on" and can go a very long time between charges. Its very thing and light. We picked this model because it was the first of the 13" screens at the time and we liked having more screen real estate (my sister has a Samsung chromebook and the screen always felt a little too small). I've had it plugged into my TV to watch live YouTube events (USL Pro and NWSL soccer) and it performed perfectly. It does everything we need it to in a "around the house" laptop. Highly recommended.

rated:
Can you comment as to 2 things for me... 

1. The screen quality... is it ok? I am not too terribly picky when it comes to viewing angles, but I hate to constantly move the screen just to make it not look washed out. 
2. Being fanless... does the bottom get hot when using it on your lap?

rated:
this is not advisable for hard core used..

rated:
mike16 said:   this is not advisable for hard core used..
if you mean for keeping multiple tabs open and streaming videos, then the impression i get about this processor and this amount of RAM is that it is advisable. if you mean for dropping and using as home plate, then maybe not  

rated:
I ordered one. Ive been looking for a fanless laptop so I can watch movies in bed. Ipad keeps falling over when anyone moves. Even wiht a case... doesnt hold up like a laptop.

rated:
I have a few windows programs like Mailwasher that I use regularly...is there a Chrome/Windows utility or converter to run them?

rated:
does anyone use one of these to pay bills and use for finicials. i was looking for dedicated laptop to be used for that alone. to me it seems it would be more secure than using shared family laptop.

rated:
Re the MIR, what is this? "Fill out and print the registration form for this promotion"
Is this the MIR form itself posted by the OP?

rated:
CORROSIVE said:   Can you comment as to 2 things for me... 

1. The screen quality... is it ok? I am not too terribly picky when it comes to viewing angles, but I hate to constantly move the screen just to make it not look washed out. 
2. Being fanless... does the bottom get hot when using it on your lap?

  
The screen quality, to me at least, is more the acceptable ... I do adjust things a little here and there but for the most part its pretty good, especially for the price.  Side to side its a little narrower than a normal laptop but not a major issue IMHO.

I have not noticed any heat issues in my usage.

rated:
1me2ao said:   does anyone use one of these to pay bills and use for finicials. i was looking for dedicated laptop to be used for that alone. to me it seems it would be more secure than using shared family laptop.
  
Shouldn't be a problem I would think ... I don't use it for that exclusively but that is one of its many uses for us.

rated:
I my Chromebook.
At home, I've been using the Chromebook over 95% of the time since I got it last year.

rated:
Can you install any Microsoft software such as Office on this ?

rated:
morecowbell said:   
mike16 said:   this is not advisable for hard core used..
if you mean for keeping multiple tabs open and streaming videos, then the impression i get about this processor and this amount of RAM is that it is advisable. if you mean for dropping and using as home plate, then maybe not  

 
He's talking about them 4k xxx sites

rated:
Be aware this Toshiba has the SSD soldered to the motherboard, so if you want to do Linux or Crouton it might not be a great option.

rated:
ach1199 said:   Can you install any Microsoft software such as Office on this ?
you wouldn't want to  

rated:
There is a free Android app for Microsoft Office, so yes.

rated:
Klingsor said:   There is a free Android app for Microsoft Office, so yes.Android =/= Chromebook.

But.. yes.. there are Chromebook apps available for Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

rated:
I have a friend who wants a basic laptop for printing coupons (to a non-networked printer) and looking at pictures/moving them from her camera to an external hard drive. Not knowing a thing about the operating system this uses, does that sound reasonable/and or possible for this?

rated:
Printing on a chromebook is a bit complicated.

rated:
clb4g9 said:   I have a friend who wants a basic laptop for printing coupons (to a non-networked printer) and looking at pictures/moving them from her camera to an external hard drive. Not knowing a thing about the operating system this uses, does that sound reasonable/and or possible for this?

Printing coupons is not an option .. that is one issue we ran into.  Coupons.com requires an installed printer application to be able for it to work (Windows only) ... I dont believe the others work either.  The saving grace there may (some day) be when you could run any Android App on a chromebook, right now I believe the selection of installable apps is limited.  Also, (again in my experience) printing requires Google Cloud Print ... which means either a networked printer with internet access or a desktop PC running the cloud print plugin to talk to the printer.

I cant speak to the camera ability either, but if it works like a USB Mass Storage Device (similar to a USB key) then it should work no problem.  USB keys do work, my sister uses them with her Chromebook all the time.

rated:
PepsiAddict said:   
clb4g9 said:   I have a friend who wants a basic laptop for printing coupons (to a non-networked printer) and looking at pictures/moving them from her camera to an external hard drive. Not knowing a thing about the operating system this uses, does that sound reasonable/and or possible for this?

Printing coupons is not an option .. that is one issue we ran into.  Coupons.com requires an installed printer application to be able for it to work (Windows only) ... I dont believe the others work either.  The saving grace there may (some day) be when you could run any Android App on a chromebook, right now I believe the selection of installable apps is limited.  Also, (again in my experience) printing requires Google Cloud Print ... which means either a networked printer with internet access or a desktop PC running the cloud print plugin to talk to the printer.

I cant speak to the camera ability either, but if it works like a USB Mass Storage Device (similar to a USB key) then it should work no problem.  USB keys do work, my sister uses them with her Chromebook all the time.

  Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed.  For her, the cheaper the better, but only if it's usable for the two (one would think) very simple tasks.  Looks like this isn't the device for her.

rated:
i have 4 chrome books, they all print fine, USB, wireless whatever....

just load chrubuntu (or crouton) linux and you can too

both of those are ubuntu, which is easy enough, and btw, ubuntu can revive many old xp and older computers (xubuntu or even lubuntu if under 2gb memory)

very reliable and mature

i learned linux once years ago, hasn't really changed much, unlike win8/vista, and i've never been able to ju$tify apple

yea yea, </linux fan boi off>

however, power users could benefit from 4GB if running hundreds of tabs and flash, these haswell's CPUs KILL!!!!!!!!!!
it's nice that some chromeBOXs have an open memory slot.

also, these make great HTPCs with a USB3 external drive, and the HDMI (see k400)

rated:
KayK said:   
Klingsor said:   There is a free Android app for Microsoft Office, so yes.
Android =/= Chromebook.

But.. yes.. there are Chromebook apps available for Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

i had to google this one as well  

rated:
corba said:   i have 4 chrome books, they all print fine, USB, wireless whatever....

just load chrubuntu (or crouton) linux and you can too

both of those are ubuntu, which is easy enough, and btw, ubuntu can revive many old xp and older computers (xubuntu or even lubuntu if under 2gb memory)

very reliable and mature

i learned linux once years ago, hasn't really changed much, unlike win8/vista, and i've never been able to ju$tify apple

yea yea, </linux fan boi off>

however, power users could benefit from 4GB if running hundreds of tabs and flash, these haswell's CPUs KILL!!!!!!!!!!
it's nice that some chromeBOXs have an open memory slot.

also, these make great HTPCs with a USB3 external drive, and the HDMI (see k400)

i don't consider this "linux fan boi"-ish. anyone that is somewhat technically inclined and can objectively see past the M$ "dump more cash into it" mentality should be able to appreciate what you said  

rated:
Would you guys recommend buying the 1 year extended AIG warranty for $40?

I ended up just buying it with no warranty. Looks like the price dropped by $10 as well and is currently at 189.99! After the discount it came out to $183.xx sweet!

rated:
morecowbell said:   
KayK said:   
Klingsor said:   There is a free Android app for Microsoft Office, so yes.
Android =/= Chromebook.

But.. yes.. there are Chromebook apps available for Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

i had to google this one as well  

  This is the reason I bought my Samsung XE303C12-A01US from the Egg (should arrive today). I want to leave it on all night, email etc.
From what I see the battery is NOT user serviceable, so I'm curious if anyone knows should I recharge every AM (heard the battery has a finite # of charge cycles?), or leave charger plugged in & hope for just a trickle charge to not stress the battery. Ideas? Thanks.

rated:
FYI,

VCO is actually 10% off, so 189.99 - 19 = 180.99 - 40 rebate

rated:
Just a quick heads-up to those who ordered it at $199, they have a price-matching form which just will get you a $10 gift card for a future purchase. Would rather have a $10 credit card credit, but better than nothing.

rated:
Can you print from coupons.com , Target.coupons.com, etc site on an Ubunutu machines? All those sites require an EXE downloaded and installed....

rated:
Mr0ffic3r said:   Can you print from coupons.com , Target.coupons.com, etc site on an Ubunutu machines? All those sites require an EXE downloaded and installed....
i do not install exe's, but you can use wine to run them if you wish. again, i haven't done it so you might wanna google it or something  

rated:
just cracked mine open, still giving off that new smell. So far so good

And VERY impressed with the sound

rated:
Telco said:   just cracked mine open, still giving off that new smell. So far so good

And VERY impressed with the sound

  
Been using mine for the past week and I like it. The trackpad takes some getting used to (I have a Macbook Air) but yea the sound is actually kinda impressive. The only slight issue I have is when I start opening closer to around 15 tabs and things start slowing down.

rated:
I have the 14" HP Chromebook and liked it for consuming media and info, but went back to a full blown Win7 because (1) very limited Chrome Apps or extensions or programs, (2) somewhat limited printing options especially with older printers, and (3) can't run most productivity software for work (Office, photo editing software, programming languages, etc.).

So if you just want to consume media/info/email, etc., this is better than tablets because of bigger screens and keyboard. But to generate contents (programming, website work, photos, videos, etc.) you are limited to mostly cloud- or Chrome base solutions (Google Docs, paint.com, etc.).

rated:
ck90211 said:   I have the 14" HP Chromebook and liked it for consuming media and info, but went back to a full blown Win7 because (1) very limited Chrome Apps or extensions or programs, (2) somewhat limited printing options especially with older printers, and (3) can't run most productivity software for work (Office, photo editing software, programming languages, etc.).

So if you just want to consume media/info/email, etc., this is better than tablets because of bigger screens and keyboard. But to generate contents (programming, website work, photos, videos, etc.) you are limited to mostly cloud- or Chrome base solutions (Google Docs, paint.com, etc.).

  
It's pretty easy to put this thing into developer mode, load Crouton, and install Linux on it. At that point, there's really no limit to what you can do with it. It could be a problem to do all this for the technical/command-line challenged folks out there, but I'd say a fair amount of FW/SDers are somewhat technical (at least enough to figure this kind of stuff out). I'd say the biggest limitation is the 16gb SSD and 2gb of RAM, but that's really only for a machine intended for heavy-use, which this does not fall under the category of anyway.

rated:
Thanks, looks like an awesome deal! I have been looking for a cheap laptop for my 1st grader. Assuming he only uses web, this should work perfectly. My only concern is if/when he has to install a Win program from an educational CD.

Q:  Anyone know if this supports external CD drives via USB?

EDIT:  I just noticed that the price has jumped to $219, so AR/AC coupon price is now $159... booo

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014