You are here: FatWallet Blog > View Blog Entry
If youíre in college, you know how tough it can be to live on a tight budget. Between tuition, room and board, books and a dining card, youíll find that most of the money you saved, pre-college, is gone. With the little bit of money you have left, you have to buy hygiene items, food and other essentials. How in the world are you supposed to find extra money for entertainment while youíre in college?
Luckily, you donít have to be a big spender to have a great time in school if you know where to look. Here are five ways to save money on entertainment while youíre in school:
1. Entertain in Your RoomYou donít have to have a total blow out to have a great time in your room. Why not host a potluck? Have your friends each bring a dish, toss some throw pillows down on the floor and play some board games. Donít worry about people thinking youíve lost your mind; board games are making a comeback and can be a great source of cheap entertainment!
2. Join NetflixInstant streaming on Netflix costs less than $10 per month. If youíve got a great laptop, split the cost of the subscription with your roommate. The cost of Netflix is equivalent to renting about four movies a month, and youíll have access to a database of hundreds of thousands of movies and television shows!
3. Join a TeamIntramural sports are a great way to get active, meet new people and waste away an afternoon. Chances are you can find a team for virtually any sport on your college campus. If, however, youíre stuck for a team, talk to the student services office and find out how you can start your own league.
4. Head to the GreenEvery college has one, no matter what they call it: college center, campus green or the square; that area of campus where everyone gathers to do their own thing. College greens are notorious for being packed with activity on the weekends. If your pockets are lined with cash, head up to the center of campus and see whatís going on. Bring along your Frisbee, a blanket, a great book and a friend; if the green is dead, you can make your own entertainment.
5. Check Out the PaperGrab a copy of the school newspaper and see what types of activities are listed. You can often find free movies, free concerts and even festivals simply by looking through the schoolís paper. If you find something that looks fun, grab a few friends and head out. Even if what you get into isnít your cup of tea, youíve not wasted any money.
Finding entertainment in college can be expensive if you donít know where to look. If, however, you do a bit of digging, you can easily find a way to spend a fun afternoon, or evening, on the cheap. Start looking! Living on a studentís budget doesnít have to mean holing up in your room every weekend watching everyone else have a good time.
Jeremy Clark is a writer and student enrolled in an online mba degree program so he can earn his degree from home.
About Us | Blog | Site Map | Mobile Site | Contact Us | Careers | Privacy | User Agreement | D.M.C.A. Notice | Civil Process Policy
Let us complete the Cash Back purchase for you!
Once set up, making a purchase with FW checkout is a breeze. FatWallet Checkout confirms the after-tax price plus shipping and, after you confirm, completes your purchase for you.