I am the first to admit, until a few years ago I thought people who went shopping on Black Friday were crazy. Then I went shopping on Black Friday. Yes, people are crazy, but shopping on Black Friday is something Iíve done for the past 5 years now. I always manage to come home exhausted with a trunk full of things I didnít know I needed.
Iím definitely not the expert when it comes to finding the best deals, and you certainly will not find me camped outside of any store days ahead of time. However, these are a few things I have learned over the past 5 years that are sure to help you have a great ďBlack FridayĒ experience.
- Do come with a good attitude. The lines will be long. You wonít get everything on your list. Someone will make you mad. It happens every year. Make the best of it and deal with it.
- Do bring plenty of caffeine. Youíre going to need it! I recommend Diet Coke.
- Do dress warm if you plan to stand outside waiting for stores to open. Itís not about looking good; itís about staying warm.
- Do shop with friends if you can. This makes it easier when you get into a store to do your shopping. Itís easier to split up and find things you each have on your list. As an added bonus, your stomach will probably hurt from laughing so hard because when youíve been awake for over 24 hours everything is funny at 3am.
- Do stop to eat. Youíll feel like youíre in college again eating breakfast at 3am (minus the alcohol of course).
- Do your research. Check out FatWallet for the best Black Friday deals out there. Have a list for each store and bring their flyers with you. This will also give you something to look at while you are waiting in those seemingly endless lines at the store.
- Do shop online if you can. The past two years Iíve shopped Kohlís and Toys R Us before heading out to do my other Black Friday shopping.
Each year when Iíve shopped Black Friday sales, Iíve come home with lots of great bargain, usually things that were not on my original shopping list!