With Valentine’s Day coming up next week, I guess it’s time to start thinking about gifts and treats for my boys and husband. Aside from the first year my husband and I were together, Valentine’s Day is not really a big holiday at our house (which I am completely fine with.). It’s also my brother’s birthday, so many years we’re out celebrating his birthday. (Again totally fine) I still like to acknowledge the holiday with a small gift for my kids and husband.
I’ve decided to be creative, not cheap with gifts for my kids. My boys are 4 and 3, so they haven’t figured out quite yet that their gifts cost me next to nothing. I decided to make them a coupon book of special things that they can use whenever they want. They also know that I shop with coupons, so I think they’ll really like that they get coupons to use for a change
My kids’ books include things like:
- Go to the grocery store with Mom or Dad without your brother
- Have lunch at McDonalds after preschool
- Pick out an extra book to read at night
- Pick out a movie to watch
- Pick out a new movie to rent
- Extra time playing on the iPad after school
- Extra time on the computer at night
- Pick out an extra game to play before rest time
- Pick out a treat at the store (my kids love Matchbox cars, so this is what they usually pick)
For my husband his coupon book includes things like:
- Washing/cleaning out his car
- Setting garbage out on Thursday nights
- Preparing his favorite dinner
- Watching a movie he picks out
- Give the kids a bath
- Do his laundry
Now if HE were to make a coupon book for me, it might include things like:
- Vacuum the entire house
- Clean the bathrooms
- Time to scrapbook without being interrupted
- Wash/clean my car
- Clean up after dinner
Need DIY Help?
Here are some free Valentine’s Day coupon ideas and printables from Pinterest.
FatWallet tip: This post is part of an ongoing series of posts for the couponers and those who wanna be couponers! You may access all the posts on Shannen’s author page. Please be sure to check out the grocery coupons and deals forum here on FatWallet to get great deals and connect with other couponers!