You are here: FatWallet Blog > View Blog Entry
The real estate market is a widely fluctuating place. Property prices can vary year on year and people either earn or loss a lot of money. No matter what the state of the market is like there are numerous pieces of advice that real estate agents and mortgage brokers would consistently give you in order to gain more value from your property sale.
Following these guidelines would allow you to know the secret tricks of the trade and to have the best possible chance of exceeding your desired asking price.
1. Method of SaleWhen it comes to selling your property, there are three main methods to choose from:
2. When to Sell - TimingsWhen is the right time to sell? Well the simplest answer would be to say at the height of a property boom and to the highest bidder but it is not always as easy as that. Timings can be very important in deciding just how much you get from the sale of your home. A lot of real estate agents prefer selling in spring due to the extra sunshine and longer hours of daylight. If your garden is one of the most striking features of your property then this is a great opportunity for you to show off your property.
One of the most commonly accepted worst time of year to sell is winter, particularly the period between December 10th – 10th January.
3. Listing PhotosYou would be surprised to know how many sellers don’t spend enough time on taking photographs of their property. Too many times potential buyers are put off enquiring further due to the lack of images and also the poor resolution and picture quality. This is a chance for you to show off your property and give buyers a taste of what they could own. Always remember, if you are going to spend time taking the pictures then you should try to ensure they are taken in the best resolution, rather than grainy and blurred.
4. First ImpressionsNo matter how much we hate judging people and places, first impressions count for a lot. One way to get an idea of how your prospective buyers might feel when walking into your home is to go inspect other houses in the local area. Try to make a list of every negative thing you encounter and then compare it to your property.
5. Remove Pet OdorsSurprisingly not everyone sits within the ‘cat’ or ‘dog’ category. Some people don’t like pets and are utterly put off when they visit a house with powerful pet odours. Make sure you use cleaning products on your property a couple of days before any house inspection and ask friends to come visit to see if you have been successful.
6. De-Personalize your PropertyWhen prospective buyers walk into your home you want them to think “I can see myself living here”. Nothing allows them to fantasize this than empty spaces on walls and mantelpieces where they can imagine putting their own family pictures.
Sam Murray is a wandering collator of information who helps provide serious money saving tips and advice for a range of day to day activities.
About Us | Blog | Site Map | Mobile Site | Contact Us | Careers | Privacy | User Agreement | D.M.C.A. Notice | Civil Process Policy
Let us complete the Cash Back purchase for you!
Once set up, making a purchase with FW checkout is a breeze. FatWallet Checkout confirms the after-tax price plus shipping and, after you confirm, completes your purchase for you.