With three kids in school, I’ve become quite the backpack connoisseur. The kids want something that looks cool, I want something that will last. We’ve found a great blend of both with the Moosejaw Esteban CO-LAB Pack by Osprey! The name is a mouth full to say, but the backpack is perfect for bloggers, students, teachers, urban commuters, and day-tripping bicycle trail adventurers!
The Esteban backpack is part of Moosejaw’s CO-LAB program where they partner with their favorite brands to create custom gear, in this case Osprey. Here’s the skinny on what I thought about their, “best backpack to wear naked,” creation…
My experience with the Moosejaw Esteban Backpack
While I liked the size, the looks, and the features, I didn’t feel completely worthy of reviewing this backpack. I took it to the gym and it was spacious enough for my workout clothes, shoes, and swimming gear. I also took it to the coffee shop to blog in peace and quiet, noticing that the compartments were well thought out with a padded pocket to carry a laptop and pockets for all its accessories: charging cord, mouse, iPhone, and my jacket. But I can’t honestly say I put it through the paces as well as I should.
So, I gave it to the biggest backpack abuser I know, my middle school age daughter. She’s a hard worker with lots of homework and we went through two backpacks last year that couldn’t hold up to the heavy use. I couldn’t think of a better person to test drive this pack.
Middle schooler’s experience with the Moosejaw Esteban Backpack
First of all, this girl is the creative type, to whom organization doesn’t come naturally. She’s been known to empty the contents of her bags in the family room looking for something that’s fallen to the bottom. The Esteban has many compartments and LOTS of pockets to organize all her stuff. There’s even a nice pocket for her iPod, with earbud accessibility, to keep it from getting crushed under books and gym clothes–a feature she really liked.
She also mentioned, “the zippers are nice because your finger can hook around and pull the zipper open easily.”
She also liked that the backpack had, “7 compartments including 2 water bottle pockets, a cell phone compartment, a pocket that can hold bigger items such as textbooks, a place to put your pencils, and 2 medium size pockets that can hold a workbox or paper.”
“I also liked the look of the backpack,” she said. Her friends did too; several of them complimented her on it. She also liked that the back and straps were nicely padded, making it comfortable to wear.
As the mom, I like that the pack was lightweight to begin with and there are tons of adjustment straps to help distribute the weight of her books. I also love that it’s backed by the Osprey All Might Guarantee that promises, “Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday.”
While the $89 retail price tag at first seemed a little high for a middle schooler, considering the guarantee and the fact that she blew through two sub-quality backpacks last year, it will pay off in the long run. (Not to mention her mom’s a great bargain hunter and the backpack is on sale for 20% off right now, making it only $71.20.) Theoretically, this could be the backpack she carries across campus crammed full of art supplies on the way to a life-drawing class at college someday.
The Moosejaw Esteban CO-LAB Pack by Osprey in Action
Details of the Moosejaw Esteban CO-LAB Pack by Osprey:
Named the best backpack to wear naked. “La! La! La! La! La!” says this mom with her fingers in her ears, in an attempt to avoid hearing that! (Although the naked woman product video IS pretty cute! –Refresh your page if you can’t see the video below.)
Price: On sale for $71.20
- Lots of pockets
- Padded straps and back
- Padded laptop sleeve
- Hidden pocket in back
- 2 Water Bottle Pockets
- MP3 pocket with ear-bud routing
- Great looking
- Light weight
- Roomy without being too big
- You can get backpacks that are guaranteed from other merchants for less than the retail price, but they don’t compare to the cool sporty design, number of pockets or versatility for various types of users.
- Currently the Esteban only comes in black and red, which is perfect for my spunky middle school aged daughter, but my “girly-girl” high-schooler would have preferred other color choices.
Benefits of shopping at Moosejaw:
- 20% off almost everything Anniversary sale! The Anniversary Sale starts on November 18, 2013, and ends on December 1, 2013. Patagonia is only on sale until 11/22/2013. Salomon and ASOLO are on Sale until 11/24/2013. Kuhl, Lole, Marker USA, Marmot, Montrail, Mountain Hardwear, Oboz, Prana, Princeton Tec, Rab, Sea to Summit, and Smith are on sale until 11/27/2013.
- Moosejaw Rewards Program: Earn 10% Back on every dollar you spend at Moosejaw to use towards cool products offered through Moosejaw rewards!
- Free shipping on orders of $49 or more. 2 day free shipping on orders of $99 or more.
- Price match policy: Moosejaw will match the price of identical products found in-stock at a lower price on another site! Plus, “If the discounted price of the product is over $100 and the price difference is greater than $1, we’ll throw in an extra 1,000 Moosejaw Reward Points in addition to the points you already earn from the purchase.”
- Moosejaw is having a Cash Back Sale on FatWallet! Shop Moosejaw and earn 8% cash back from FatWallet (was 5%)!
- See Moosejaw coupons, sales & deals