Dads Want Their Workhorse Drills To Have Power and Durability
When it comes to power drills for DIY dads, we won’t sacrifice quality over cost for our “workhorse” tool, but we do want a good deal and there’s no better time to find tool deals than during Father’s Day sales and a whopping 2/3 say “quality and durability are the #1 most important feature when buying power tools (battery life and power/torque ran a distant second according to a 2014 Tool Shopping Survey from FatWallet).
Unlike just a few years ago, today’s cordless tools use lithium batteries that last longer and are lighter and more powerful, even for the lighter-duty 12 volt models. The 18 – 20 volt models can handle almost any DIY job at a price range of $100-300, which normally includes a carrying case, spare battery and battery charger. TIP #1: Not all lithium-ion batteries are created equal so make sure these match when buying different tools. Better yet, if you’re looking for one battery to swap between all tools, buy a cordless
combo tool kit and save a bundle on a bundle.
One of these top rated compact cordless drills below will make for a very nice, affordable Father’s Day gift, especially if you take advantage of Father’s Day Deals and increased cash back from stores like Sears, Home Depot, Kmart and dozens of others through June 15!
Ridgid FUEGO 18V Lithium-Ion Compact Drill/Driver Kit R86008K:
Fast charging, light and easy to handle, this compact drill is loaded with features like Grip Light (LED comes on when holding) and Hyper Lithium for best-in-class run time and recharges, plus it offers best-in-class extreme weather performance and the Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement of free batteries, parts. and service.
- 18 volt, 4-pole open-frame motor which delivers 535 in.-lb. of torque
- 1/2 in. single-sleeve ratcheting chuck
- Hex Grip – Innovative micro texture for secure grip and maximum comfort
- 3 Year Lifetime Service Agreement with Tool Registation
- Includes 2 HYPER Lithium-ion batteries, 1 charging station and a soft carry bag
Home Depot: $169.00 w/Free Shipping + 4.0% Cash Back
DeWalt 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Compact Drill/Driver Kit DCD780C2:
One of the highest rated compact drills for the money and enough power/torque to handle most personal and professional projects. Incredibly durable, reliable and lightweight at 3.4 lbs., this popular cordless drill is what some would call the standard workhorse for the DIY crowd. Fits in small places and is comfortable and easy to use with plenty of adjustment and power for just about any job.
- 20 volts w/Max Power of 350UWO
- Heavy-duty 1/2 in. ratcheting chuck w/15-position clutch
- Variable-speed transmission delivers 0 – 600 RPM or 0 – 2,000 RPM
- Two 20-volt, 1.5 Ah lithium-ion batteries included (30 minute charge time)
- 3 Year Limited Warranty
- 2 fast-charging, lithium-ion, charger, kit box, belt hook and on-board bit holder included
Home Depot: $169.00 w/Free Shipping + 4.0% Cash Back
Makita 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Compact Cordless 1/2-Inch Driver/Drill Kit LXFD01CW:
This powerful little Makita drill is compact, super light and fast with excellent speed for it’s size and it charges in 15 minutes. The 1/2 inch chuck and 18 volts keep it in the ballpark of most of the heavy duty competitors and the Energy Star 15-Minute Rapid Optimum Charger is a best-in-class feature for efficiency and long-term battery life. The non-flashy black and white design is a nice touch, as well as the heavy duty carry case.
- 18v, 4-pole motor for 480 inch-pounds max torque and 290 in.lbs. of PTI torque
- chuck size is 1/2″ w/2-speed transmission (0-400 / 0-1,500 RPM)
- only 7-9/16″ long and weighs only 3.3 lbs. for reduced operator fatigue
- Built-in L.E.D. light with afterglow illuminates the work area
- Backed by 3-year warranty on tool; 1-year warranty on battery and charge
- includes drill/driver, 2 batteries, charger and case
Amazon: $154.00 +$7 Shipping
Milwaukee M12™ Cordless Lithium-Ion 3/8” Drill/Driver Kit 2410-22:
For light-duty and everyday home maintenance, the M12 packs a punch like no other 12 volt cordless drill on the market. Drills and fastens up to 35% faster with up to 25% more torque than the competition. The all-metal single-sleeve ratcheting chuck offers superior bit grip and also includes an onboard LED light and fuel gauge.
- 12 volt 2-Speed Metal Gear Box selectable from 0-400/0-1,500 RPM
- 3/8” drill/driver delivers 275 in-lbs of torque
- all-metal single-sleeve ratcheting chuck
- 5-year warranty on drill, 2 years on batteries
- kit includes 2- M12 REDLITHIUM batteries, a 30-minute charger and carrying case
eBay $99 w/Free Shipping + 1.0% Cash Back
TIP #2: Just like bones, tools break, so it’s best to “always” register your tools with the manufacturer to assure validity of any warranties and return policies. You can also save more money by passing on those extended warranties at checkout and using thrid party warranty services like SquareTrade for less than half the cost.
Take your pick: Workhorse drills on a budget!
Craftsman C3 Compact 1/2-In Drill/Driver Kits 17310:
Best buy for the price – comparable speed and power to the much pricier models with a Craftsman’s lifetime guarantee and 5 star ratings on Sears and Kmart sites. Fairly light under 4 lbs., it’s easy to hold/grip and adjust for speed and torque. The 1/2-inch chuck, smart charger with 30-minute recharge time, LED light, charge status help it compete with other high-end brands.
- 19.2-volt w/max torque is 340 in. lbs.
- 1/2 inch – 24 position keyless clutch
- Dual gearbox delivers 0-440 rpm high torque and 0-1,600 rpm high speed outputs
- includes: Drill/driver, 2 lithium ion batteries, charger, 2 driver bits and a kit box
- Lifetime warrantee
Sears: $99.00 w/Free Shipping + 6.0% Cash Back
Black & Decker 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver Kit LDX220SBFC:
Improved version of earlier models with longer battery life, and improved durability. If you’re looking for a better than average drill kit that will get you through most home projects, this drill has all the features, super lightweight (2.75 lbs.), fast charge and durability for under $80. I own one of these and have used it weekly with great success-the only con would be the smaller 3/8 inch chuck-just be aware of this before buying 1/2” bits.
- 20-volt w/ 300 in-lbs of torque at max. 1400 RPM
- 3/8 inch variable speed chuck w/11 positions
- 2.75 lbs. and compact for tight spaces
- 1.5 amp lithium ion battery w/30 min. charge time
- 2-year warranty on drill, 2 years on batteries
- Includes drill, lithium ion battery, charger, double-ended bit and soft storage bag
Lowe’s $79.00 Free Shipping + 2.25% Cash Back
Follow FatWallet’s Shopping News, Giveaways, Contests and Smart Shopping Tips!