March may seem lack-luster on the surface for consumer savings, but there are plenty of good reasons to purchase certain items this time of year (beyond green beer and Peeps). Winter clearance sales can present exclusive coupon codes and timely discounts. Very little merchandise is sequestered in March as stores look to clear winter inventory, but it’s good to know which items stand out as “best time to buy”.
Here is an overview of top March savings to help you keep living frugal.
Winter Clothing Clearance: Outerwear at 50-80% Off thermals, pullovers, coats, boots and cold weather accessories
- TIP: an excellent time to by high performance gloves for next year
Winter Sports Equipment: Annual ski/snowboard equipment and accessories clearance
- TIP: look for some brands to partner with Spring Break travel specials, bundles, contests, etc.
Small Electronics and Cameras: It’s been picked through, but annual inventory clearance presses on – good time to grab a cheap digital camera and accessories
- TIP: hot new product announcements spur immediate price drops on older models…Think Apple
Bicycles: Great ops to save on 2012 bikes before new 2013 models become the big focus
Spring Break Travel All major travel sites will still have an abundance of travel packages, hotel deals, car rental discounts
- TIP: It’s cheaper to avoid traveling on Good Friday-Easter weekend
Luggage: Last years models are cheap, especially sets and backpacks
- TIP: find the best savings and benefits with online software services vs. home editions
Office Supplies: Tax time = no better time to buy these items and stock up on school supply basics while you’re there
HDTV deals: March Madness Sales present significant discounts on select 2012 models
Collegiate Sportswear: March Madness Sales will offer a mix of hoodies, hats and jerseys
- TIP: If your team “didn’t” make the NCAA tournament,it might be a good time to buy their merchandise
Spring Fashion: At the end of March, retailers replace what’s left from winter apparel with spring styles and will have sales to bring it to your attention
- TIP: this stuff gets really cheap end of May
Running Shoes: Warming brings out the fair weather joggers and with it, “some” decent discounts, experts need not apply
- TIP: if you need them it’s worth a look as you shouldn’t start a running routine in worn out shoes
- TIP: upgrade older clubs to last year’s models, heavily discounted to make room for newer, better, longer clubs advertised during the Masters
Automotive: Spring tune-up time, find discounts on cleaners/wax, tires, wipers, etc.
- TIP: check Local Deals for access to all the Groupon-like savings in your area for car detailing deals +50% off