• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am smoldering! I just made a trip to a Radio Shack store to purchase a new Net10
phone. My current Net10
phone is getting weak on some keys, and the time is about to run out - so this is a good time to upgrade.

I went to purchase the Samsung T-401G for $59.95... but they refused to sell it to me without selling me minutes. Never mind that it comes with 300 minutes as part of it's purchase price.

To add insult, the other clerk said to the clerk I was dealing with that I was just buying it to unlock it.

I could complain to Radio Shack, but their 800 number doesn't work right.

I guess I'll use their ad to price match with someone who has half a brain.

</ rant >

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

How about buying it online? Or try a different location?

Well I did end up buying it - from Best Buy via a price match. The RS sale price was only good in-store.

30+ years ago, I worked at Radio Shack (when I was in college) and the company has been in a serious decline for a long time. On the positive, they have improved the overall look of the stores in recent years. But most important is that they have NOT improved the quality of the people they hire, which has taken a nose-dive.

IMHO RS is very much like Sears/K-Mart. If they go out of business.... nobody will honestly care.

Doesn't surprise me. The last time I wanted to buy a prepaid phone from there, they told me I had to activate it in-store. I told them no thanks and walked out. Like you, I'd just take the ad and pricematch it elsewhere and avoid the hassle of RS.

This is part of an email from Net10
concerning such matters.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any
inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

If you will purchase one of our phones through one of our retailers,
product purchased is subject or depending on the store?s policies, terms
and conditions.

RadioShack sales clerks do not make a commission (which is 5 dollars on a prepaid phone) if they activate it but do not sell any minutes with it.

There is no policy which states you have to buy minutes with the phone.

T0NY said: RadioShack sales clerks do not make a commission (which is 5 dollars on a prepaid phone) if they activate it but do not sell any minutes with it.

Come to think of it, he did say that they are required to activate the phone in the store, and I said no. They just had 1 of that model phone left... likely he was waiting for a sucker to stop in and get screwed over.

If it is RS policy to activate prepaid cell phones, then they should state that in their ads.

T0NY said: RadioShack sales clerks do not make a commission (which is 5 dollars on a prepaid phone) if they activate it but do not sell any minutes with it.

It can be unwritten store policy, Net10
and Tracfone themselves also have a lot of those.

Stores have a limit of 2 (Net10
& Tracfone's policy) but they don't always put that in their ads either.

Unless it was a franchise store, who may be able to set their own policies, a sales associate can and should sell you a phone unactivated. A sales associate can and should also activate a phone for you without adding any airtime, just to replace your current phone.

There is no rule, from Radio Shack corporate, that requires airtime or any other bs they try to tell you to activate a phone. They can ring out a phone just like they can a pack of batteries.

Sadly, most employees would rather have the 5 dollars for activating the phone than a satisfied customer.

Also, to the OP good for you for calling their bs and going to a competitor.

I just had a bitch named trish at the Providence place mall here in RI tell me You have to buy a minute card or eles she won't sell the prepaid virgin mobile cellphone to me and she said also I would have to give her my name my number my address or also she will not sell me the phone I said I think your going to be fired soon your not going to use my info to steal and rob me like the manager in cranston did and now is in jail for stealing tens of thousand from customers you bitch and I walked out with a little birdie flying at her. Radio Shack what a joke should say radio retards selling something we know nothing about we are without brains.

These days, Radio Shack makes most of their money, associates make most of their commissions by selling phones with contracts. While they get $5 for the prepaid, it is considered a negative when they do not upsell a prepaid customer to a contract. Store, District management constantly monitor such activity.

It is widely known that RS is for sale; at one time, WorstBuy considered buying the chain as a complementary "express store", but this apparently did not go too far.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014