Best place to buy ties for the office?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am looking to update my collection of hand-me-down ties for the office. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best place (retail or online) to buy modern, well-made ties for a reasonable price? Maybe under $20/apiece?

Would love to hear your suggestions!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
To round out the deal, add Ross and Burlington Coat factory to the deal. At least a couple of times, I've gone to BCF th... (more)

Logan71 (Oct. 18, 2010 @ 8:43p) |

Go to the street vendors in NYC can get like 10 ties for 5 bucks... they are good enough. If you want quality go to TJm... (more)

geldrop (Oct. 19, 2010 @ 7:32p) |

that's nice, thank you.

Jerry1986 (Oct. 20, 2010 @ 4:31a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wallace (L), Ladmo (R)
Disclaimer
Nobody can tell the difference between the cheapest and most expensive ties, so if you want something shiney, go with 100% polyester instead of silk. There's no such thing as a well-made tie, by definition.

And remember to make The Knot
big enough or else you'll look tired or drunk. Here's what I mean:

I personally use eBay sort it by BUY IT NOW limit it to under $5 and you'll be surprised at what you find. The ones I've gotten my customers have raved about.

I personally get all my ties from T.J. Maxx or Marshall's.

All of the brands that you might see at a standard Macy's is usually under $20, more like around $10. I've seen some good brands for $30 or so... you just gotta spend a little bit more time looking, but I think its totally worth it.

coincident, but all Calvin Klein ties are 2 for $40. Link : CK Ties

If you live in California or Nevada, try the $.99 Only stores for really cheap ties.

Costco has excellent ties at $12 each. I always get complimented on the way they look.

boorah623 said: I personally get all my ties from T.J. Maxx or Marshall's.

All of the brands that you might see at a standard Macy's is usually under $20, more like around $10. I've seen some good brands for $30 or so... you just gotta spend a little bit more time looking, but I think its totally worth it.

I agree. Also Kohl's and Stein Mart. Buy the ties while on clearance.

Buy a tie for yourself? Seriously, you either do not normally wear ties or do not have a family

Contrary to some opinions stated already, there is a great difference in tie quality, especially with some now coming without liners, and you can tell the difference usually by looking at The Knot
(refuse to dimple) and bottom edges (wear out quickly). Price depends on what you want. Drip ketchup on a silk tie and you might as well throw it away. I would never buy a tie online, but you can find excellent deals at second hand stores (Twice As Nice).

The streets of China - knock-offs are like $1 and they look great and hold up really well.

FLSHADOW74 said: I personally use eBay sort it by BUY IT NOW limit it to under $5 and you'll be surprised at what you find. The ones I've gotten my customers have raved about.

I did that too and they turned out to be nice one. So I would go back buy some if I need more from eBay.

I've had pretty good luck at Macy's. Two weekends ago I got a $50 Tommy tie for $19 before the "One Day Sale" coupons (these one day sales seem to happen all the time now). They also had some great discounts on dress shirts if you need those too. I picked up three shirts that retailed for $59 for between $10 and $20 a piece.

FLSHADOW74 said: I personally use eBay sort it by BUY IT NOW limit it to under $5 and you'll be surprised at what you find. The ones I've gotten my customers have raved about.

1+ for that. Yep. I get most of my woven silk ties for $2 to $3 a piece from sellers in China on eBay. Quality is surprisingly good too.
Example

I try not to tell too many people my secrets.

The guy with the table of "silk" ties around herald square or downtown New York (around Fulton Street or Broadway around Canal or lower) that used to cost about $3 each. The ones that aren't shiney definately pass for silk (unless you touch them).

TedMetro said: The streets of China - knock-offs are like $1 and they look great and hold up really well.

Airfare kills the deal.

Kohl's is best.
I got Tie's (Arrow, Croft & Barrow) from $5.00 which are good looking.

Move to the southwest, they have been outlawed here

I like Marshall's and TJ Maxx... any 'hot deals' that you see online for clothes can usually be beat by a trip to Marshall's (I've learned this the hard way). Returns are also much easier in store than by mail after buying on line.

You can also get gift cards for below face value (Discover, Plastic Jungle, etc.) to make the deal sweeter.

Another vote for TJMaxx and Marshalls, you'll be surprised by what you get for the price and you can feel it/see it before you buy

Prussik said: Buy a tie for yourself? Seriously, you either do not normally wear ties or do not have a family

Contrary to some opinions stated already, there is a great difference in tie quality, especially with some now coming without liners, and you can tell the difference usually by looking at The Knot
(refuse to dimple) and bottom edges (wear out quickly). Price depends on what you want. Drip ketchup on a silk tie and you might as well throw it away.
Too much false information from somebody who thinks leisure suits look good.

Only a low quality tie will be ruined by ketchup, a substance dry cleaners can remove easily; it's mustard that makes a permanent stain on silk, so avoid that inferior fabric and stick with polyester. Double over The Knot

Thanks for all the ideas. I just splurged and bought 7 silk ties on eBay for less than $30. We'll see how they turn out!

I usually get them for my hubby at Sears...that way I can get his tools and ties in 1 place.

1-10.00 99cent Store, Ross, Goodwill, TJ Maxx OK Quality
Finest quality tie 20.00+ 3 Day Suit Broker

joefnblow said: Another vote for TJMaxx and Marshalls, you'll be surprised by what you get for the price and you can feel it/see it before you buy

To round out the deal, add Ross and Burlington Coat factory to the deal. At least a couple of times, I've gone to BCF the day before an interview and picked out an entire suit/pants/tie to ensure good fit and
walked out for less than $150. (Keep your snide comments to yourself, after all this is FW )

Go to the street vendors in NYC can get like 10 ties for 5 bucks... they are good enough. If you want quality go to TJmax or something

that's nice, thank you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014