• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Does anyone have personal experience with this scenario?

I had a rewards check which was expiring on July 31st, 2010 for $20.00
I went on July 31st, 2010 and bought an item for the full $20.00

Today is August 5th, 2010 and I want to return the $20 item I bought as my wife already bought another at some other store.

When I return this item to Staples will I get a refund of my $20 as a gift card or another reward check or coupon printout or will I get no refund as the reward check expiration date was July 31st, 2010 ?

So how does their refund/return policy work then in this case?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

u can ask for a GC instead of a rewards card

I've never had one that was expiring so I'm not sure how it will work for you? Their systems are getting tighter over there to help stomp out more fraud or mischievous behaviors.

I had to return something one and they printed out a receipt that had the balance of my rewards on it. It is kind of generic for me but cheaper for them. Like I mentioned though, I have no idea about expired rewards. Good luck!

IrfanPathan (or anyone else who knows) will it be a problem that the original rewards check which I used had an expiration date on it of July 31st, 2010??

You could return it without a receipt. Assuming you and your wife both took advantage of a great price and you will not loose money on the return.) You will get a gift card.

A friend of mine just did this exact thing. She returned something she'd paid for using an expiring Rewards check. When she returned items it was after the Rewards expiration. She did not get a refund for the Rewards check. Manager happened to be standing there and heard her -- she wasn't complaining, just commenting. Manager gave her a GC for the amount of the Reward. So, depending on your relationship w/ the store, it might be worth asking the manager before you even return the item. You could even ask manager if its better to return w/o receipt.

Here's my question-- I paid for something using a non-expiring Rewards check. Returned item and bought something else at the same time. For the return the register printed out a register coupon which was then scanned for the new purchase. If I return the 2nd purchase will I get another register receipt for the Reward? Each time I've used the Reward in its entirety, so it's not subject to the "one time partial use" rule. Anyone have experience w/ this? TIA

op: i may be wrong, but the only way to salvage the rewards after they are used is to return without a receipt. i believe this is regardless of if they are expired or not expired, as they treat them as a coupon on the reciept and they do not refund coupons.

my4mainecoons said: Here's my question-- I paid for something using a non-expiring Rewards check. Returned item and bought something else at the same time. For the return the register printed out a register coupon which was then scanned for the new purchase. If I return the 2nd purchase will I get another register receipt for the Reward? Each time I've used the Reward in its entirety, so it's not subject to the "one time partial use" rule. Anyone have experience w/ this? TIA
I would hazard to guess that the "register coupon" was a "balance coupon" and as we know, another balance coupon will not be issued on a returned item that was purchased with a balance coupon.

bpvh said: my4mainecoons said: Here's my question-- I paid for something using a non-expiring Rewards check. Returned item and bought something else at the same time. For the return the register printed out a register coupon which was then scanned for the new purchase. If I return the 2nd purchase will I get another register receipt for the Reward? Each time I've used the Reward in its entirety, so it's not subject to the "one time partial use" rule. Anyone have experience w/ this? TIA
I would hazard to guess that the "register coupon" was a "balance coupon" and as we know, another balance coupon will not be issued on a returned item that was purchased with a balance coupon.

yup. I called Rewards CSR before I did the return and they told me that I would not get the credit a 2nd time but as a one time thing they agreed to credit the amount of the Rewards check to my cc since I was buying something again. I'm sure it helped that I was spending even more money. Took a bit of working out and a supervisor's ok but I'm to buy the new item, fax a copy of the receipt showing that I did not get refund on the Reward and they'll credit my cc acct.

crazypalooza said: op: i may be wrong, but the only way to salvage the rewards after they are used is to return without a receipt. i believe this is regardless of if they are expired or not expired, as they treat them as a coupon on the reciept and they do not refund coupons.

For non-expired, I can confirm they will reprint a coupon upon return of items. I had a $15 rewards check, used it all (not sure if it would have made a difference if I used only partially and did the return). Anyways, after walking out I noticed that a $5 coupon didn't come off, this was because I ended up not wanting a $6 item which dropped my total below the coupon minimum. Not immediately notable since the total was what about what I had expected. Anyhow, go back to have the cashier return all the items, it spits out the rewards coupon, and I check out again with all the items and the coupon. For a buck more, I got my $6 item.

I made a purchase and got back a coupon for the remainder of the rewards check. I returned the item purchased and the system printed another coupon for the amount of the first purchase. I then had 2 coupons from the same rewards check totaling $30. Used them both that same visit to the store.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014