Help with return product @ Office Depot?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I was and still in shock that the CSR and even store manager told me that they didn't accept the modem, only exchange
I bought a Motorola Cable modem on Monday, brought home, open the box, yes but I decided to return it today and got denied.
AFAIK, other stores such BB or WalMart not even charge 15% restocking fee for an open box, I thought OD is the same, worst case, 15% restocking fee applied.
I shocked to find out that OD only exchange open-box product which falls into their Technology , not returning.
Why would they do that?
Any thought that I can get my money back? I don't mind 15% fee.
I swear to God that I would never shop at OD again.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

call their 1800 customer service number. If that fails, then contact your credit card company and see what your options are.

What does that huge sign by the register with the exchange/return policy say? In fact, it's probably right there on the receipt. Unless it says they don't accept returns on certain items, call corp. and complain.

Did you buy with AMEX? If so, call them, AMEX has a return guarantee.

drodge said: What does that huge sign by the register with the exchange/return policy say? In fact, it's probably right there on the receipt. Unless it says they don't accept returns on certain items, call corp. and complain.

If the receipt does not have a restriction, dispute the charge with your credit card company. One time I bought something which had a 30 day warranty. Before the 30 days are up, the store goes into bankruptcy and was taken over by the liquidators. The liquidators would not accept the return. So I disputed with my credit card company (AMEX) and they refunded the full price ($180ish) and I got to keep the product too!

Thanks all.
I've googled on "return policy of Office Depot" and it turns out so much of complaint about their return policy.
On their site, they actually do clearly indicate "If product box is opened, we will offer an exchange only."
I know it's my bad to buy from them and did open the box but I was shock to believe there such a policy.
I did use AMEX, I never think about it. Thanks for remind me, Mickie3.
Thanks again, riznick, drodge, and PrincipalMember, I'll their Corp. first, if nothing move, I'll do what Mickie3 suggested.

I had an OD receipt lying around and I looked at the back. Yup - their return policy sucks - never realized it until now (I think it has changed - I remember returning open technology stuff in the past and I had read the receipt before opening the package). I also had a Staples receipt lying around with me and they don't have such restrictions around 'opened technology products can only be exchanged'. Way to go Staples.

Now here is the interesting part. For electronic items, it says that "we will offer an exchange only". However, for software, it says, "Opened software may be exchanged for the same item only". So that seems to kind of say that that you could return this item and (1) Either get a store credit which you can use to exchange for other purposes later on, or (2) If you needed to buy something else (e.g. a hard drive), you should ask for an exchange since the terms of the receipt don't insist on "same item" for non-software things.

Then if there was another OD near by, you could take the unopened item without receipt and get a store credit and then use it in the future.

The other day, I did return an opened USB. I had gone to buy one of the name brand 4GB USB sticks and they didn't have it. So they supposedly did me a favor and sold me their store brand Ativa USB for the same price. This Ativa thing was "fat" - I couldn't it use together with my wireless mouse adapter. So I went and exchanged it the following week for a Sandisk USB. The package had obviously been opened and they still did the exchange.

OP - you haven't mentioned it - but are you trying to return without a receipt? [Otherwise instead of Googling their return policy, you would have looked at the receipt]. Open technology items without receipts - that is a tough one - given all the potential fraud issues, I would side with the store.

Mickie3 said: Did you buy with AMEX? If so, call them, AMEX has a return guarantee.
Does all AMEX cc have this feature? Or just those that require an annual fee?

TIA

confused200 said: Mickie3 said: Did you buy with AMEX? If so, call them, AMEX has a return guarantee.

No idea if all AMEX cards feature this benefit but ... this might help:

www.americanexpress.com

See the section titled "Your Card Benefits".

This will probably provide information only for American Express issued AMEX cards -- not third party issued cards (e.g. Bank of America's AMEX card).

confused200 said: Mickie3 said: Did you buy with AMEX? If so, call them, AMEX has a return guarantee.

TIA

As far as I know, all of them.

Just looked and don't see where AMEX makes any differentiation between cards on this benefit.

AMEX return protection (AMEX web page)

Office Depot OD return policy really sucks.

Me: Hi, If I buy this open box laptop, can I return it if I dont like it - unused.
OD: No if you open it you cannot return it.
Me: But this is already open.
OD: So you cannot return it.
Me: So you dont accept returns on open box items sold.
OD: We do accept returns on open box but not if they are opened.
Me: So do you seal them someway so that return does not get counted as open box.
OD: Cant remember what she said, but I got tired and didnt buy.

You can make a case with your CC company as long as you've made an effort to return the item. You'll get a reversal on the charge. Store is then required to either call you and make arrangements, at their cost, to retrieve their product else you can dispose of it. Note that store can blacklist and ban you from shopping again.

vegetation said: You can make a case with your CC company as long as you've made an effort to return the item. You'll get a reversal on the charge.

On what basis would you get a reversal of the charges? The store is just following the policies under which it sold the item. However, as others have said, if the AMEX return thing works, that is the best bet.

ANOTHER REASON TO SHOP AT Staples !

I learned a LONG time ago the Office Depot and Office Max have the worst CSR/Policies.

vegetation said: You can make a case with your CC company as long as you've made an effort to return the item. You'll get a reversal on the charge. Store is then required to either call you and make arrangements, at their cost, to retrieve their product else you can dispose of it. Note that store can blacklist and ban you from shopping again.
If the store agrees to a return but has a restocking fee, I assume AMEX does not cover the restocking fee?

So exchange for a new one then return the new (unopened) one with your receipt for the refund.

PrincipalMember said: OP - you haven't mentioned it - but are you trying to return without a receipt? [Otherwise instead of Googling their return policy, you would have looked at the receipt]. Open technology items without receipts - that is a tough one - given all the potential fraud issues, I would side with the store.
I just bought it on Monday and yes, of course I returned with receipt.
The CSR actually flipped the receipt and pointed to me that "exchange only" crap.

Updated to all.
I've ended up getting their OD store-credits. Don't like it much but no choice
Now, I have to think what to spend at OD (which I would want to shop there anymore.
Thank you all for your help. Very appreciate.

tremwill, will that work? could well be a good way I haven't tried it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014