• 12 3 4544
  • Page
  • Text Only
webender said: Really? sorry, a friend who signed up near the end was complaining to me about a ton of extra changes for checking email when he was roaming.
I based the lack of free roaming on his complaints.

If he doesnt have roaming it should be a simple call in to get it added assuming he gets someone who knows what they are doing.

RBirns said: I have SERO 500 with unlimited data, texting, and roaming. My bill is the same($30 + taxes) every month, never any surprises. I went a bit over 500 once, and had a few international texts, but I expected those extra charges. Roaming has always been free. I never even think about it.

But, I'm sick of my Touch (original), the phone with a mind of its own. This seems like great news. Can't wait for the real details come October.

If you really don't want to pay anything for a new phone, you can always go to ppcgeeks and load a new rom onto your Touch, it will become a totally new one. Lately I found the wm gets more stable. I have two diamonds, and used wm 6.1 for about 2 years, at some time this year, I just can't stand it anymore and went to wm 6.5.5, it was very smooth. Not totally bug free, because the system they got is from bigger screen phones, so put the system on diamond made it with some subtle problems, but if you are not that of a person for perfectness, it's way more stable than 6.1. And I heard they made Android run on Touch.

Rax said: I went from Windows 6.5 to Android, then back to Win 6.1. I can't stand Android. The only advantage Android had was tons more fart and jiggle apps.
The fart and jiggle apps alone are worth the extra $10 per month! That's why I just bought a "heavily discolored" used Touch Pro on eBay for $60. Not sure what that means, but I'll find out soon.

I think Sprint changed their policy for unlimited to where it is 5GB max. That's more than enough for me so I have no complaints. Last time I checked, I used 2.1GB in one month.

for the guys with TP2, are you running stock roms? I'm using the "sprint lover's" rom, while it's much faster than oem, it much buggier too...any suggestions will be appreciated.

btw, android does work on tp2, but still lack functionality like camera, sound, some others

LoveRebates said: What is the cheapest way to get TP2 on the sero plan?
Some people are right.. i am not entirely sure android is worth the $10 extra

I just decided to go the eBay route and pick up a TP2. Can be had almost-new for $200 (same as contract price) so it saves you the contract commit. Plus, hoping the Android port gets a little more love in the coming months so I can dual boot it as I was doing with my HTC Touch (Vogue).

How did you get the TP2 for free? I need to upgrade in a couple months and I was looking into getting that phone, but 200 is a lot...

pidge said: I think Sprint changed their policy for unlimited to where it is 5GB max. That's more than enough for me so I have no complaints. Last time I checked, I used 2.1GB in one month.

Hm, I think someone needs to let them know what unlimited means then.

jd2010 said: pidge said: I think Sprint changed their policy for unlimited to where it is 5GB max. That's more than enough for me so I have no complaints. Last time I checked, I used 2.1GB in one month.

Hm, I think someone needs to let them know what unlimited means then.

The 5 Gig cap applies to broadband cards you connect your laptop to and phone as modem. There is no cap on using data on your phone.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! Thanks mate

f2000sa said: Sprint will do everything to get you out of SERO. I love my sero on my TP 2. Played with iphone for a while, not impressed it at all.

I am the entire opposite, I bought a new TP2 on my sero plan and was later forced to use an iphone for work. I now can't stand my TP2 for browsing and email and it's general buginess all around. I still love the TP2 for it's call features, but in my eyes all else lacks compared to a 3Gs.

yeah I have SERO and TP2 as well....and the TP2 is decent, but it in my opinion can have weird issues, and be slow, etc. its frustrating sometimes, but i enjoy it, and enjoy paying $30 a month. would like to try other phones possibly, but i would have to see what other people's opinions are ,etc.

I"ve been using Mr. X titanium LITE. no frills, just the basics in the rom. but it runs incredibly smooth, fast, and i even get marginally better battery life. check it out.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131247

A bit OT, after reading of some of the postings in this thread, I chatted with Sprint CSR to see if they would add Pick 3 to my SERO free as a goodwill gesture, especially since I have been a Sprint customer for nearly 10 years. Basically I just need Pick one because over 60% of my calls are to one landline number No go. First she said that Sprint does not offer Pick 3 anymore but she could offer me Spring for Home for $5 and configure it for my landline number that I call the most. But no break in $5... has anyone had success with getting Sprint for Home added to SERO withoout any cost?

doublehelix747 said: A bit OT, after reading of some of the postings in this thread, I chatted with Sprint CSR to see if they would add Pick 3 to my SERO free as a goodwill gesture, especially since I have been a Sprint customer for nearly 10 years. Basically I just need Pick one because over 60% of my calls are to one landline number No go. First she said that Sprint does not offer Pick 3 anymore but she could offer me Spring for Home for $5 and configure it for my landline number that I call the most. But no break in $5... has anyone had success with getting Sprint for Home added to SERO withoout any cost?

From my experiences, once they see that you are on a SERO plan you have no chance for any perks, freebies, or any retention offer. For instance I called once to explain how much troube I am having using my phone in my finished basement/home office. This was at a time when many other FW members were claiming to get the Airave for free and with no monthly fees. I pleaded my case continually mentioning that if I couldn't use my phone in my home office that I would likely have to find another carrier (I was NOT under contract with Sprint). She basically wished me good luck and asked if I would like to cancel right now!

cnvrtble98 said: doublehelix747 said: A bit OT, after reading of some of the postings in this thread, I chatted with Sprint CSR to see if they would add Pick 3 to my SERO free as a goodwill gesture, especially since I have been a Sprint customer for nearly 10 years. Basically I just need Pick one because over 60% of my calls are to one landline number No go. First she said that Sprint does not offer Pick 3 anymore but she could offer me Spring for Home for $5 and configure it for my landline number that I call the most. But no break in $5... has anyone had success with getting Sprint for Home added to SERO withoout any cost?

From my experiences, once they see that you are on a SERO plan you have no chance for any perks, freebies, or any retention offer. For instance I called once to explain how much troube I am having using my phone in my finished basement/home office. This was at a time when many other FW members were claiming to get the Airave for free and with no monthly fees. I pleaded my case continually mentioning that if I couldn't use my phone in my home office that I would likely have to find another carrier (I was NOT under contract with Sprint). She basically wished me good luck and asked if I would like to cancel right now!

You should have said yes to cancelling and when they send you to retention, that's where you plead your case. Can't get anything with regular rep, but retention is where to ask for stuff. Got Pick 3+2 (Pick 5 essentially) and Airave this way.

avash said: Actually, I believe this is not completely true.

You cannot sign up for it using a referral code or through a website.

However, you can if you are a separating employees and their Advantage Club subscribers can sign up for SERO (Separating Employee Retention Offer).
Right, but although the acronym SERO is the same, this is a totally different plan that non-Sprint employees have never been eligible for anyway. It comes with different features, different phone eligibility, etc... In other words, the answer to his question is "no," he can't get SERO (either of them) as a new subscriber.

He can buy it on eBay from existing SERO holders, however. The price is $150-$200.

swintec said: webender said: What about the "America - Roaming Included" option from the early SERO plans, I know the later ones did not include this, they got free texting instead. I have used this many times, and it's saved me a bunch of money on roaming fees. I'd hate to lose it.

Huh? I was a later sign up and got texting and also free roaming. I think all SERO plans had free roaming.
That's correct. All SERO plans have always had free domestic roaming (you still pay for voice and data roaming outside the US).

Well damn. I just bought a new phone to use with T-Mobile (Samsung Vibrant aka Galaxy S). Fortunately I did not buy it under contract nor did I cancel my SERO plan just yet. Glad I waited. As of now I am paying $59.99 a month with T-Mobile but it looks like I could stay with Sprint and get the Samsung Epic 4G for only $49.99 a month ($39.99 SERO + $10 4g fee). That's a savings of over $120 a year AND I get 4g!

Praise the Lord!

....I think.

I'm a bit worried. I've had SERO for awhile, like everyone else. I've been struggling with my old Touch, waiting for WinMo7 to come out so I can finally switch. The Touch has taken a shot to the face (tee'd that one up), so now it thinks I'm pushing the screen all the time. It's impossible to use now and it randomly butt-dials people. The end was in sight though...

...so let me get this straight. $10 more? I could swing that for a new Android OS phone. Do we still think that they'd support WinMo7 at $30 a month though?

I'm really wanting to know about WinMo7 support at the $30 point as well.

There's no reason to expect that Windows Phone 7 will be available for $30 a month. What would make them consider WebOS and Android data-heavy, but not Windows Phone 7, which is a totally new, data-heavy OS?

glintboy7 said: There's no reason to expect that Windows Phone 7 will be available for $30 a month. What would make them consider WebOS and Android data-heavy, but not Windows Phone 7, which is a totally new, data-heavy OS?

This is 100% correct. There is absolutely no reason to think that "Windows Phone 7" phones won't be subject to this same thing. It'll be $40 a month for a windows 7 phone, unless it happens to be 4G, and then it will be $50. I could be wrong, but I'd bet a lot of money that I'm not.

I highly doubt that ANY new technology (WinMo7, Android, WebOS, 4G, iPhone) will ever be available at the $30/mo SERO rate. Sprint knows that as time goes by and WinMo6/old hardware looks ever crappier, they have the upper hand.

I for one will be paying the $10/mo more - love my plan, but am having major bouts of phone envy.

That said... you either roll with old WinMo6.x (or one of the crap phones) and $30, or for $10 more (and the hope that a CSR doesn't bend you over) you get to roll with anything out there (+10 for 4G). Right?

I think I'll end up waiting til 10/1 and trying the $40 Android. I was tempted to go TP2 earlier. Hope this all pans out.

I know I read somewhere that early indications were WinMo7 would be legit for the SERO $30, but that might have all just been speculation. Could have also been on the sprint user forum, you know how credible that is.

So assuming this is all true, what will be the best phones for the "new" SERO?

Mastawoo said: Do we still think that they'd support WinMo7 at $30 a month though?

The general feeling is that no, most likely no WinMo7 on $30 SERO plans. WinMo 6.5 is most likely as good as it'll ever get for $30 SERO users.

The stats are that the newer smartphone operating systems that are easier to use with more connected apps pull down a ton more data, and that's why Sprint can't let all these legacy users with unlimited data get them. It seems overwhelmingly likely that the new WinMo7 phones would be more like Android and iOS in their usage profiles than WinMo6.

RBirns said: So assuming this is all true, what will be the best phones for the "new" SERO?
That's the real downside here I think. In theory, this is a good deal, but in practice, I'm not so sure for myself personally.

Sprint has exactly two top end phones currently or upcoming, the Evo and the Epic. Unfortunately, both of these are 4G phones, which means it'd be $50 instead of $30. I don't think I'm willing to pay the $50 price point

All of Sprint's 3G smartphones are rather painfully dated at this point. The Hero and the Palm Pre are probably the best ones, and users complained that those felt slow when they first came out.

I'm really hoping that some good non-4G smartphones for Sprint get announced for the near future. Palm especially is really overdue on an update. Unfortunately, I haven't even seen anything in the rumor mill yet.

The other way to get a top tier Android phone on the $30 SERO is to buy the phone at a non-contract price, or used on craigslist and not activate it. Only use it under Wifi. Then set your current Touch Pro or TP2 (still under $30 SERO plan) as a wifi hotspot.

hockeymulder said: The other way to get a top tier Android phone on the $30 SERO is to buy the phone at a non-contract price, or used on craigslist and not activate it. Only use it under Wifi. Then set your current Touch Pro or TP2 (still under $30 SERO plan) as a wifi hotspot.
this is what i do, i have a diamond and an iphone, yeah in theory is good

hockeymulder said: The other way to get a top tier Android phone on the $30 SERO is to buy the phone at a non-contract price, or used on craigslist and not activate it. Only use it under Wifi. Then set your current Touch Pro or TP2 (still under $30 SERO plan) as a wifi hotspot.

What? So you're saying that if I have a TP2 on SERO (I do) I should buy an EVO or Epic outright (I'm actually not opposed to this even though it would be expensive), and not activate it? Then, just use the EVO or Epic for data via the Wi-fi hotspot that my TP2 puts off? I hope I'm misunderstanding, because if I'm not, this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Thought about this some more and here's what came to mind:
I'd like to make a call. I guess I should turn on my Touch, then initiate WMWifirouter, establish a wi-fi hotspot. 40 seconds later... great, hotspot created. I shall now turn on my Epic and activate the wi-fi radio (it would usually be off for me due to battery life concerns). Now that that is complete, I shall find the hot spot being broadcast by my Touch and connect to it. Okay, connected. I shall now activate the Skype app and once that is complete I might be able to make a call.

Someone bring me back to earth. I must be misunderstanding whatever it is that they're saying. But even if I am, I can't see carrying two phones with me at all times. I'm cheap, not broke.

More thoughts: I guess the actual idea proposed above is to carry around 2 phones, and use the sh*tty one (Touch for instance) to make calls, and use the super-phone (EVO or Epic) for anything data related. There might have been a time that attaching phones to your belt was cool (totally arguable that it was NEVER cool), but either way, I'm not doing it. I used to work with a guy that always wanted to download music from the ITMS on his iPhone at work, but the only way he could do it was to piggyback on the hotspot my TP2 could broadcast. That's when I knew the iPhone was not for me.

Another option for those trying to save money is to keep your current Touch or Touch Pro 2, and use it as a mobile hotspot for soon to be announced upgrade to the iPod touch. True, it's a hassle to carry around two device, but it won't cost you anything more than you pay now.

Do SERO phones still allow tethering? It used to work on my phone but stopped a few months ago.

nanomedia said: Do SERO phones still allow tethering? It used to work on my phone but stopped a few months ago.

I tether several GBs a month with my TP2 no problem.

rbraden said: nanomedia said: Do SERO phones still allow tethering? It used to work on my phone but stopped a few months ago.

I had read comments of some people whose tethering was disabled by Sprint for excessive data usage but I never used it much, maybe once or twice in six months to browse a little. So I am at a loss as to why it would stop working. When I try to dial the connection I get this error message:

Error 678: The remote computer did not respond. To make sure that the server can be reached, ping the remote computer.

nanomedia said: rbraden said: nanomedia said: Do SERO phones still allow tethering? It used to work on my phone but stopped a few months ago.

I had read comments of some people whose tethering was disabled by Sprint for excessive data usage but I never used it much, maybe once or twice in six months to browse a little. So I am at a loss as to why it would stop working. When I try to dial the connection I get this error message:

Error 678: The remote computer did not respond. To make sure that the server can be reached, ping the remote computer.

Have you tried using a program such as pdaNet or WMWifirouter?

rbraden said: nanomedia said: rbraden said: nanomedia said: Do SERO phones still allow tethering? It used to work on my phone but stopped a few months ago.

Have you tried using a program such as pdaNet or WMWifirouter?

I just tried PdaNet and it works. Granted I had to do a bit of work and create my own .alx installation file because my blackberry browser does not work but it was worth it to have tethering.

Thanks for the help.

No problem. A little effort or a one time fee always beats paying Sprint every month for it.

Does anyone know if the upcoming deal will include an upgrade for the free and clear plans ?

Not sure if I have a "SERO" plan, but I do have a "free & clear" plan where I get 1000 anytime + 8pm N&W for $40 + $10 for unlimited data. My treo 700p that I bought on eBay died on me so in a pinch when I needed a phone, I went to WorstBuy (aka Best Buy) and got a LG Rumor Touch for $29 with a 2 year contract that let me keep my plan. Am I SOL now? What if I buy an Android phone on eBay? Will this now allow me to replace my LG Rumor Touch with an eBay phone? That's all I'm really asking for here.

• Archived From: ForumsDeal Discussion

• 12 3 4544
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014