• 1 234544
  • Page
  • Text Only
rated:
Sprint's legacy plans like SERO have been the best deal around for smartphones for years now. However, they've been really held back in recent years by the fact that Sprint limits Android and WebOS phones off of SERO plans.

Coming October 1, Sprint is going to start having an optional $10 buyup, that allows Android phones and WebOS phones on old SERO plans. Thus $30 SERO plan becomes $40 SERO with "iconic" devices plan. People on $40 SERO Blackberry plans will automatically be upgraded, and Blackberries will no longer be available on $30 SERO plans.

Unfortunately, this will not include the 4G fee that everyone on Sprint needs to pay for 4G devices, so Evo or Epic would be $40 + $10 = $50.

In addition to allowing better devices, these new plans also come with better features including any mobile anytime, text messaging, and navigation.

This offer is only available to SERO customers, and not to customers of any other legacy plans.

There is now an official announcement of this:
http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/42978?featured=true
Sprint FAQ on this

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
HI

They had a great deal on Black Friday for Sero members.  They had to Lg Optimus G2 for 49.99 and the Motorola Moto X f... (more)

zacksmith (Jan. 05, 2014 @ 6:10p) |

I wanted to chime in on Sprint's service. It has SUCKED and has SUCKED for many years for me, getting progressively wors... (more)

avash (Jan. 05, 2014 @ 6:26p) |

Oh Crap I missed it and that's the phone I wanted to get!  I would be very surprised if it was for mid contract as well.... (more)

krysnik (Jan. 07, 2014 @ 2:06a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Russ said: The latest that I%u2019ve heard is that a customer CAN revert to SERO Basic if they switch to a non-iconic device. I don%u2019t think it will be automatic (because we think some will want SERO Premium for the value of Any Mobile Anytime and Navigation), but it will be possible.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

$70 Loyalty Credit
For those near or out of contact with a $150 device upgrade discount on your acct, the following is how to maximize your savings prior to upgrading your device.
1. Using email/chat request a $70 Loyalty credit (do not mention that you'll be upgrading your phone etc)- this credit automatically extends your contract 2 yrs. Reps may say if they grant you the credit you will lose your $150 upgrade device - it won't. Accept the credit.
2. Approx 5 min after receiving Loyalty credit (check your acct balance to confirm that it is on your acct). Once confirmed...
3. Go to sprint.com and order your new device using your $150 upgrade, which should still be there.
4. Once device arrives, upgrade your plan to Premium and activate your device, via CS or chat. Otherwise, if not changing plan to Premium, just activate your phone online.

Anyone know if this will apply for people on the Nextel Sero plan? Would I be able to switch over to Sprint?

This should be interesting...glad I stuck it out with this plan and did not get the Touch Pro 2! Now to go rub it in a few people's faces!

If this is offered to all legacy plan users, not just SERO, including F&C and F&F, then this will be a huge hit. I will surely upgrade my BB Curve 8330 to the 9650 and pay $10 more per month, not to mention sign an additional contract.

The $30 Sprint SERO plan already includes text messaging... now it's one of the highlights for the "new and more expensive" SERO plan? The $30 SERO plan also includes unlimited data, and that's not even discussed under this new $40 plan.

Proceed with care, or you may end up paying more for less.

I am glad I upgraded to TP2 for free last october and will be eligible for another upgrade August next year. I get to use the features of TP2 for another year and meanwhile also save $12/month including taxes for the premium.

I am glad sprint wisened up and did this as they get to charge more (which most are willing to pay) for better phone options.

cnvrtble98 said: This should be interesting...glad I stuck it out with this plan and did not get the Touch Pro 2! Now to go rub it in a few people's faces!

Actually you get unlimited M2M minutes. Since most people I call use mobiles, it might not be a bad option for me as I come close to using 500 mins. I also got the Airave $10 unlimited added to cover the extra usage for my business, but this work perfectly!

I might switch just so that I get the unlimited mobile to mobile and upgrade the device later too if that works better or stick with the unlimited via Airave.

CambodianBeast said: The $30 Sprint SERO plan already includes text messaging... now it's one of the highlights for the "new and more expensive" SERO plan? The $30 SERO plan also includes unlimited data, and that's not even discussed under this new $40 plan.

CambodianBeast said: The $30 Sprint SERO plan already includes text messaging... now it's one of the highlights for the "new and more expensive" SERO plan? The $30 SERO plan also includes unlimited data, and that's not even discussed under this new $40 plan.

There's two (or more?) versions of SERO, an early one and a later one. The early one did not come with text messages, the later one did.

That said, obviously when this actually happens, the terms should be scrutinized carefully.

cnvrtble98 said: This should be interesting...glad I stuck it out with this plan and did not get the Touch Pro 2! Now to go rub it in a few people's faces!

if you are so called rubbing it in people's faces by not upgrading to the Touch Pro2, which is the best available phone for the SERO plan, what have you been using? Almost every other phone sucks in comparison to the Touch Pro2 for the SERO.

And I got my Touch Pro2 for free plus they gave me $50 to upgrade, so im not sure who face your are going to rub it into

SERO-related question: has anyone tried adding an additional line to a SERO account recently?

Gah.. As much as I want a better new smartphone, I think I'd rather stick with my Motorola Q9c than paying $10 a month. I already get all the data and free navigation I need.

AnimEva said: cnvrtble98 said: This should be interesting...glad I stuck it out with this plan and did not get the Touch Pro 2! Now to go rub it in a few people's faces!

if you are so called rubbing it in people's faces by not upgrading to the Touch Pro2, which is the best available phone for the SERO plan, what have you been using? Almost every other phone sucks in comparison to the Touch Pro2 for the SERO.

And I got my Touch Pro2 for free plus they gave me $50 to upgrade, so im not sure who face your are going to rub it into

Well...when I was thinking of upgrading to the TP2 it would have cost me $200 and I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade for another 18 months. The "rubbing it in people's faces" refers to the several friends, all of which had SERO plans thanks to me (and fatwallet), who decided to drop SERO for a more expensive plan so that they could get an Android phone.
I am just happy I waited it out with my Palm Treo Pro...even though I really don't like it!

mrzip6 said: SERO-related question: has anyone tried adding an additional line to a SERO account recently?

Yeah. If you're talking about adding another $30/mo line with 500 minutes and the rest unlimited, it's not happening.

I did in March. Took several tries, but it worked. Check out the thread on slickdeals

AnimEva said: cnvrtble98 said: This should be interesting...glad I stuck it out with this plan and did not get the Touch Pro 2! Now to go rub it in a few people's faces!

That's exactly what was puzzling me. The Touch Pro2 is definitely the best SERO phone out there... and it lets you use the Android Port (which is definitely usable.. but < 100% functional) Gotta love the dual boot operating system

Sweet! I was one of the early announcers of the SERO plan, and still have mine with the TP2 when I renewed this summer. I got into Sprint Premiere via being a customer for 10+ years, so I can upgrade in the summer of next year!

WOOT WOOT!

Got a TP2, not switching to this plan for a minimum of 18 mo.

What is the cheapest way to get TP2 on the sero plan?
Some people are right.. i am not entirely sure android is worth the $10 extra

OP, any idea on the unlimited data piece of the puzzle? Has the Sprint rep mentioned anything on the topic? Feel like any change to the unlimited data in SERO plans would be a deal-breaker for me. I'd hate to give up my SERO plan.

yeah the "Unlimited Data" question is a really critical one to get answered ---- if there's any change in the unlimited data, this would be a deal breaker ......

thejuice said: CambodianBeast said: The $30 Sprint SERO plan already includes text messaging... now it's one of the highlights for the "new and more expensive" SERO plan? The $30 SERO plan also includes unlimited data, and that's not even discussed under this new $40 plan.

OP, any idea on the unlimited data piece of the puzzle? Has the Sprint rep mentioned anything on the topic? Feel like any change to the unlimited data in SERO plans would be a deal-breaker for me. I'd hate to give up my SERO plan.

Ditto. I also hope they do not put unannounced / indirect obstacles or slow service decay in various manners to push $30 plan people to upgrade. Everything unlimited (except 500 min) for $30 is good to stick to as long as they allow reasonable phone upgrades from time to time. I really do not want to pay any more

Get a cheap Touch Pro 2 from eBay and install Android, no need to pay $10 extra

knicknacks78 said: Get a cheap Touch Pro 2 from eBay and install Android, no need to pay $10 extra

How do you install Android on the phone?

If you read McGuire's posting he states that the problem with the Pre and Android is that they have heavy data usage. McGuire claims that Sprint would actually lose money on SERO if people were using data heavily. It's conceivable to me this is true. In a typical month with my TP2 I have maybe 15-20 MB of data. I don't use my phone's data heavily, but I also don't intentionally shy away from it. I use Google Maps a few times a month and do the occasional web browsing. By comparison, there is one person in my office who has a Droid X (he had a Droid Incredible prior to the X so he has had it about a month) and I think he used well over 500 MB in the past month (not sure how many days in he is). That's probably the equivalent of 4-5000 minutes of usage. I'm not sure if the heavier data usage is innate in its Androidness, or if its simply he uses more web-based apps than me (possibly because there are more web-based apps for Android than WM).

But it would appear that Sprint's willing to give WM users unlimited data because on average, they don't believe there will be heavy usage. OTOH, I think they know they need to give Android users unlimited data, but also realize they will use a lot, so they charge extra. I'm not actually totally unsympathetic. While in theory one heavy user may not have any impact on their network, if there are a lot of heavy users they will have to add more towers and that does legitimately cost them money.

DaddyCulver said: knicknacks78 said: Get a cheap Touch Pro 2 from eBay and install Android, no need to pay $10 extra

How do you install Android on the phone?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=114400

I haven't looked into much, last I checked you lose a lot of hardware on the phone (including bluetooth and the camera), although it appears GPS functionality has been restored.

I've used 200megs a night for days and Sprint hasn't said boo and losing that would kill this for me.

Are there any more WM phone even coming out?

Does that EVO upgrade/up charges including being able to use the EVO as a access point for up to 8 others?

But the most important part is it limited data IMO. I talk like 20 minutes a month on my phone, I use data services right and left though. Not 200meg a night these days, but still plenty.

gamebeaross said: I've used 200megs a night for days and Sprint hasn't said boo and losing that would kill this for me.

Are there any more WM phone even coming out?

Does that EVO upgrade/up charges including being able to use the EVO as a access point for up to 8 others?

But the most important part is it limited data IMO. I talk like 20 minutes a month on my phone, I use data services right and left though. Not 200meg a night these days, but still plenty.

There are more WinMo devices coming out later this year called Windows Phone 7. They are a complete redesign and not compatible with older Winmo stuff. No one knows what carriers they will hit at this point as far as I know (could be all of them), but it would be a reasonable guess that these added fees for WebOS and Android would also apply to those.

The $10 data add on for the EVO and Epic include truly unlimited data and 4G access, but not the hot spot feature. That's an additional $30 a month (through Sprint's sanctioned hotspot app, but it's quite easy to root to phone to get around it, or just buy an app (a one time charge of <$30) that will allow it.

BobGhenghisKhan said: yeah the "Unlimited Data" question is a really critical one to get answered ---- if there's any change in the unlimited data, this would be a deal breaker ......

Funny how we have an enormous oppressive government, but it's apparently not large enough to make companies define "unlimited". I guess it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

i have a friend who is on the $50 sero plan, will it be extra $10 for this plan also?

superflysocal said: i have a friend who is on the $50 sero plan, will it be extra $10 for this plan also?

If it is the SERO1250, then yes, if the friend wants to upgrade to android/iconic devices, he will have to pay $10 extra. If you want to keep your old phone then you don't have to upgrade.

I've been using HTC Diamond Touch for almost 2 years now with SERO and could not be happier

del

Does this include Free and Clear plans?

Well eff me, I gave up my $30 SERO plan last year for the Hero.

jkimcpa said: Well eff me, I gave up my $30 SERO plan last year for the Hero.

You can always buy one on eBay. I was going to sell mine on eBay and get on a family plan until this morning, but now that I see this, I'm definitely keeping it. $50/mo for either of the 2 hottest devices on the market (EVO and Epic) for essentially unlimited everything is hot enough that I'd buy someone else's line for ~$150 if I had to. I also have a 25% discount on my current SERO line, and knowing Sprint, there's a decent chance that it will carry over. Far from certain, but it's possible.

I will be terrified to leave my SERO plan future in the hands of Sprint customer service.

I will stick with $30 SERO for as long as I can. I love my TP2.

Once you use Android you'll realize how antiquated WinMo really is. I'm looking forward to picking up my 2nd EVO. For $50 it's a steal.

I went from Windows 6.5 to Android, then back to Win 6.1. I can't stand Android. The only advantage Android had was tons more fart and jiggle apps.

Skipping 1708 Messages...
zacksmith said:   HI

They had a great deal on Black Friday for Sero members.  They had to Lg Optimus G2 for 49.99 and the Motorola Moto X for free.  I got fired a week before so I passed.  Im thinking about Tmobile.
Sprint data is just too slow.  AT&T lowered their prices. Might want to check them out. 

Oh Crap I missed it and that's the phone I wanted to get!  I would be very surprised if it was for mid contract as well.  as for the first reply I meant Sprint is the problem...my phone was stolen which is why I need another...not because I thought the phone was the main issue (ok well partly I hated it and wanted to hurl it at the wall daily but it was probably half phone and half Sprint sucky service

• Archived From: ForumsDeal Discussion

• 1 234544
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014