• 14041 42 4344
  • Page
  • Text Only
clb4g9 said:   hazardous said:   KayK said:   Got a question for you all.
What's the best regular old $30 plan SERO phone out there other than TP2?
I dont have the SERO Plan anymore and my mom wanted to upgrade her phone as her current phone's battery isnt holding much charge.
Her only requirements is that it should be a touchscreen phone.. with a keyboard preferable.

There are just a handful that you can do now and no "smart" phone you can buy on Sprint's website. Palm Centro & TP2 would be your best options for the $30 plans.

I have a Palm Treo Pro that sounds like it would be a decent option. Has a touch screen, Windows Mobile (which is not necessarily a selling point) but is a smart phone and has a great keyboard with real keys. I like it enough to wait until Sprint releases a Windows 8 phone (which may be never).

I used to have a Samsung Intrepid, which is a Blackberry-like Windows Mobile 6.5 device, and I had a Centro before that. They both sucked. Now I have a Marquee, and am much much happier. If you have the $120/year, just spend it. Android at $40 is much nicer than anything you can run natively on the $30 plan, and the Marquee, even with its warts, is the best phone for that purpose.

FYI, I've rooted my Marquee, which opens up some other capabilities, such as underclocking when idle (saves power) and overclocking when in active use (reduces lag), and generally makes it a pretty good phone.

I'm now just waiting for LTE to come to NYC so I can actually justify the next $10 upcharge.

jkwalker said:   ordered my new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 gray 16 gig. today on SERO P+ $375 total with tax and shipping.

update: received today only one day after ordering

it's increadible! Makes an iPhone 5 look like an ancient dinasore

Logged in with my gmail account and all my apps and contacts were sitting installed and waiting for me, Android ROCKS!!!

Why is it $375 with tax and shipping? I thought it was $300 plus tax and shipping (probably can negotiate for a free shipping)? Did you pay extra $75 because you were few months from being eligible for an upgrade?

I am debating to get Galaxy S3 (rumored to be $50 on Black Friday) or buy Note 2 ($300)...can be $250 difference if they let SERO subscribers get $50 Black Friday special for GS3...what to do...

VJ said:   I'm planning to order iPhone5. Is it better to order it directly from Sprint or buying it from bestbuy? My only reason to order it from bestbuy is their $50 GiftCard Offer.

I tried pre-ordering the Iphone5 at Best Buy and they could not do it with Sero.Anyone recently on Sero able to activate a phone at Best Buy?

Too much hassle trying to order at Best Buy with Sero plan. I tried to do it at best Buy. Wasted over 2 hours and finally they told me that they couldn't sell me the phone. Best to call Sprint if you don't want to waste time.

Doesn't a $50 a month bill completely defeats the point of having a SERO plan as it becomes pretty much a run of the mill plan?

Debating on ordering Note 2....thinking it may be cheaper by time LTE gets here (Minneapolis) Anyone have it? How is it on 3G?

GWBush said:   Doesn't a $50 a month bill completely defeats the point of having a SERO plan as it becomes pretty much a run of the mill plan?

Depends on the phone you want to use with it. Is there another carrier offering a subsidized iPhone 5 at $50 a month?

cjbell said:   GWBush said:   Doesn't a $50 a month bill completely defeats the point of having a SERO plan as it becomes pretty much a run of the mill plan?

Depends on the phone you want to use with it. Is there another carrier offering a subsidized iPhone 5 at $50 a month?

I agree...if you want the iPhone 5, it is still the cheapest option. Unfortunately Sprint iPhones depreciate the most at the end of 2 year cycle so the savings over ATT/VZ is partially lost over increased device depreciation.
The biggest issue for me though is Sprint's crappy 3G speeds (thanks to their unlimited plans and popularity of Virgin Mobile, boost, etc.) and spotty 4G WiMax coverage. Unfortunately LTE is not present where I am yet.

Considering the aggressive pricing available on "bring your own device" plans from T-Mo, simple talk, and page plus, I'm actually considering paying an ETF fee to leave SERO. The Nexus 4 is an affordable, high-end device available off contract.

Sprint SERO isn't the deal it was. They're ripping everyone off by overloading their network and sacrificing quality in order to attract new iPhone customers to their lame 'unlimited' data offerings.

True...Sero is not as good deal as before, but unlimited LTE should make it worthwhile to hold onto Sero plan. My area is suppose to get LTE by March of 2013. It's being tested right now nearby....so I believe they are on schedule.

The upgrade from basic SERO to premium plus is not just 20 bucks for me. I am still getting a corporate discount on my SERO plan and that would instantly go away if I upgrade. This means that any upgrade would easily double my phone cost. So, until they take away all SERO discounts, I guess I will struggle along with my overclocked, custom rom TP2 for under $24 a month, all in.

You are wasting SERO with old phones.

buyasaurus said:   The upgrade from basic SERO to premium plus is not just 20 bucks for me. I am still getting a corporate discount on my SERO plan and that would instantly go away if I upgrade. This means that any upgrade would easily double my phone cost. So, until they take away all SERO discounts, I guess I will struggle along with my overclocked, custom rom TP2 for under $24 a month, all in.

They DID take away all SERO discounts with no customer notification whatsoever. You lucked out since they appear to have overlooked your account.

fivetalents said:   buyasaurus said:   The upgrade from basic SERO to premium plus is not just 20 bucks for me. I am still getting a corporate discount on my SERO plan and that would instantly go away if I upgrade. This means that any upgrade would easily double my phone cost. So, until they take away all SERO discounts, I guess I will struggle along with my overclocked, custom rom TP2 for under $24 a month, all in.

They DID take away all SERO discounts with no customer notification whatsoever. You lucked out since they appear to have overlooked your account.

buyasaurus, does your plan say SERO or Fair & Flexible Plan 500. The reason I ask is that some time back, Sprint, for what ever crazy reason, converted many SERO plans to Fair & Flexible Plan 500. I signed up for SERO_30 ($30.00/500 min) and many of my paper bills reflected this. But until I saw a thread over at SD about the conversion, I hadn't a clue that they, Sprint, converted my SERO_30 to Fair & Flexible Plan 500. I too still have my corporate discount. When I initially saw the thread over at SD, the information was that you can call costumer service to have them convert it back to SERO and then move forward (backwards?) with SERO-P or SERO-PP. It is also posted on Russ' blog. I never did make the call, knowing that I would automatically lose my corporate discount and N&W@6pm. So I kept it as Fair & Flexible Plan 500. I'm still using my Samsung A900. Why? Because i have it tethered to my PC 24/7 as a modem. I canceled my DSL when I got the A900 back in 2006. It has served me well. My only issue a year ago was the battery. I then had to order a battery off eBay for $5. But now that one seems to be going as well. I may have to order a new one (battery) again, if I'm going to hold on to this phone until I decide to move forward.
I don't know if Sprint will still convert those customers back to SERO...even though it was done without them being informed.

Called Sprint to inquire about upgrading my phone...they told me that they charge $36 for a new phone activation...even under SERO plan...is that same experience with other SERO customers?

Two years ago, they waived it for me, but now they want to charge me $36 if I sign another two years to get a new phone...not too smart for Sprint!

docjoo said:   is that same experience with other SERO customers?

The part where you call Sprint customer service with a question about a SERO account and get inaccurate information? Yeah, it's like that 100% of the time.

The best source of SERO information is: 1-888-603-7981

Of course, you can activate your new phone online just to make sure you don't get tagged with a charge.

MNFRUGALSHOPPER said:   Debating on ordering Note 2....thinking it may be cheaper by time LTE gets here (Minneapolis) Anyone have it? How is it on 3G?

One of the better points made here lately. There's no rush to get a shiny, new LTE phone TODAY since you'll be paying the extra $10/mo. and still only be getting 3G service in most locations. The sad truth is that if you want something faster than 3G you're better off going 4G-retro (HTC Evo 4G, Motorola Photon 4G, Samsung Galaxy SII) since you'll be able to use Wi-Max today (and going forward through 2015).

Note: Sprint is reporting locations as having LTE when as few as 20% of their towers are upgraded. Mobile Tech Review is in Dallas, TX (a city Sprint claims to have rolled out LTE in already), but they haven't been able to pick up an LTE signal yet! They frequently mention this on their video reviews of Sprint phones.

Don't upgrade to LTE unless you're sure it's available in your area - you'll be paying for a network you won't be able to use if you do.

SERO30 with bonus 300mins
Disclaimer
buyasaurus said:   The upgrade from basic SERO to premium plus is not just 20 bucks for me. I am still getting a corporate discount on my SERO plan and that would instantly go away if I upgrade. This means that any upgrade would easily double my phone cost. So, until they take away all SERO discounts, I guess I will struggle along with my overclocked, custom rom TP2 for under $24 a month, all in.

They did took mine 20% discounts two years ago, other items still intact....6PM, 300 bonus mins, ect.....and still using TP2

papertrader said:   docjoo said:   is that same experience with other SERO customers?

The part where you call Sprint customer service with a question about a SERO account and get inaccurate information? Yeah, it's like that 100% of the time.

Of course, you can activate your new phone online just to make sure you don't get tagged with a charge.

What do you mean by "just don't get tagged with a charge"? Once you order a new phone don't they automatically charge you $36 for upgrading device regardless of activation via phone call or online?

Over the years I've had 6 phones on my SERO plan and never paid an activation fee. I don't know if I'm just lucky or the other folks are doing it wrong. I activate my phones online so there's no, 'luck of the rep' factor. I don't know if the others are just getting reps who aren't trained on SERO so they tag everyone with the fee or they've just bought phones from the regular online Sprint store (instead of the SERO/everything plus one). My last few phones:

Motorola XPRT - bought from Sprint's SERO store online, activated online
Palm Pixi - bought from an online merchant, activated online
Touch Pro 2 - bought from Sprint's SERO store online, activated online.

papertrader said:   Over the years I've had 6 phones on my SERO plan and never paid an activation fee. I don't know if I'm just lucky or the other folks are doing it wrong. I activate my phones online so there's no, 'luck of the rep' factor. I don't know if the others are just getting reps who aren't trained on SERO so they tag everyone with the fee or they've just bought phones from the regular online Sprint store (instead of the SERO/everything plus one). My last few phones:

Is there an online "SERO Store" that is different from the Sprint online store (after logging in to your SERO account)?

I just spoke with them and no matter phone I upgrade to, there will be an extra $10 charge, I'm currently on the $40/month Sero Premium.

papertrader said:   The best source of SERO information is: 1-888-603-7981

With WalMart's new $127 iPhone 5, I'm seriously considering upgrading, either through them or through PM at Best Buy. Earlier someone listed SERO c/s at 1888-876-8381. Trying to avoid the least amount of hassle in the store...any advice from recent experience?

papertrader said:   Over the years I've had 6 phones on my SERO plan and never paid an activation fee. I don't know if I'm just lucky or the other folks are doing it wrong. I activate my phones online so there's no, 'luck of the rep' factor. I don't know if the others are just getting reps who aren't trained on SERO so they tag everyone with the fee or they've just bought phones from the regular online Sprint store (instead of the SERO/everything plus one). My last few phones:

When was the last time you activated a new phone?

I am trying to upgrade my Fair and Flexible 500 plan with corporate discount to SERO-P but have been unsuccessful. I signed up for SERO about 6 years ago. I tried to call or chat online with customer service but no luck. are there any insights for me? May be somebody who has successfully upgraded to SERO-P under similar circumstances? Thanks a lot.

Cherrypicker1 said:   I am trying to upgrade my Fair and Flexible 500 plan with corporate discount to SERO-P but have been unsuccessful. I signed up for SERO about 6 years ago. I tried to call or chat online with customer service but no luck. are there any insights for me? May be somebody who has successfully upgraded to SERO-P under similar circumstances? Thanks a lot.

See this thread.

JarjarXG said:   The best source of SERO information is: 1-888-603-7981

This number does not work (kept on ringing). I called 1-888-876-8381, the lady was very helpful.

She said that I will NOT be able to upgrade my phone at a 3rd party retail store (i.e., WalMart, BestBuy, etc) and retain my SERO premium plan. She said this change was implemented recently.

How are current SERO Premium account holders upgrading their plans through 3rd party retailer? The link provided by papertrader was not helpful in this instance. I would like to go to WalMart to get the $127 iphone 5.

Xnarg1 said:   How are current SERO Premium account holders upgrading their plans through 3rd party retailer?... I would like to go to WalMart to get the $127 iphone 5.

Have you tried asking Sprint's Account Services department to match WalMart's ($127) or Fry's ($126) price? They were matching B&M prices on the Galaxy S II before and shortly after Black Friday. Many people also got them to waive the shipping and activation fee. You may have to try several times, and make sure they put whatever they promise you in the notes on your account.

fivetalents said:   Xnarg1 said:   How are current SERO Premium account holders upgrading their plans through 3rd party retailer?... I would like to go to WalMart to get the $127 iphone 5.

Have you tried asking Sprint's Account Services department to match WalMart's ($127) or Fry's ($126) price? They were matching B&M prices on the Galaxy S II before and shortly after Black Friday. Many people also got them to waive the shipping and activation fee. You may have to try several times, and make sure they put whatever they promise you in the notes on your account.

I did ask if they would price match and she said no. However, I did not call multiple times and I know that often that is what it takes - thanks, I will try that out.

Anyone know if it's possible to get this deal with SERO?

http://www.fatwallet.com/Amazon-coupons/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-4g-...

Anyone know if it's possible to get this deal with SERO?

1 price is for new accounts
Add a line price is $59.99, and upgrade price is $119.99

Xnarg1 said:   JarjarXG said:   The best source of SERO information is: 1-888-603-7981

This number does not work (kept on ringing). I called 1-888-876-8381, the lady was very helpful.

She said that I will NOT be able to upgrade my phone at a 3rd party retail store (i.e., WalMart, BestBuy, etc) and retain my SERO premium plan. She said this change was implemented recently.

Neither of the above numbers was valid. The first # is disconnected & the lady at the second # sent me to: 888-882-4030. Finally upgraded.

Edit: moron c/s. called the 4030 today & she redirected me to the 8381.

Is anyone having trouble accessing the shopping page? I'm trying to look at available phones and pricing for an upgrade but all links takes me to "my cart".

a918V said:   Is anyone having trouble accessing the shopping page? I'm trying to look at available phones and pricing for an upgrade but all links takes me to "my cart".That's happening to me too. Doing it both in Firefox, and Internet Explorer. All other links work except for the three phone selections.
I guess they don't want me to buy another phone. I think PagePlus is where I have to go anyway. I need the Airvana to get any service at my house (where I work out of too) so upgrading to a LTE device makes no sense. The Touch Pro 2 with Windows 6.5 is just a dumb phone now. I put Gingerbread on it, and it just can't keep up. The processor isn't powerful enough even to just answer a call.

Pauldow said:   a918V said:   Is anyone having trouble accessing the shopping page? I'm trying to look at available phones and pricing for an upgrade but all links takes me to "my cart".That's happening to me too. Doing it both in Firefox, and Internet Explorer. I guess they don't want me to buy another phone.
Maybe another F-you to SERO.

What phone's are you looking at? My upgrade is next month. I hope they don't give us the shaft.

Chazwel said:   What phone's are you looking at? My upgrade is next month. I hope they don't give us the shaft.
I'm still on $30 SERO with a HTC TP2 (with Energy ROM) and can't take it anymore. I'm hoping the Samsung Galaxy S3 will drop in price once the new models come out.

Chazwel said:   What phone's are you looking at? My upgrade is next month. I hope they don't give us the shaft.

Try shopping at Sprint.com after logging in. The website will tell you if you need to upgrade your plan to use a selected phone with your plan.

Some insight:

If you purchase a phone with a non-SERO rep either online, over the phone or in-person you WILL be charged the $10/mo., "premium data" fee for any phone upgrade. Your best bet is going online without a rep.

I spoke with SERO customer service today about adding an LTE phone to my account. It was truly shocking the effect that having an LTE network available to use in my area had on my willingness to pay to use it. The rep said that I wouldn't need to call in or notify Sprint in advance - that the extra $10/mo., "premium data" fee would be added to my account automatically when an LTE or WiMax phone was activated on my account.

For some folks $30/mo. on a TP2 is fine - if all they do is talk on their phone. I've outgrown using my cell as only a phone and paying $50/mo. for unlimited data and getting a phone subsidy every 2 years isn't a bad deal at all. While some MVNOs come close to $50/mo. they don't offer unlimited data, LTE or a phone subsidy every 2 years. Yep, you'll be paying more, buying your own device out of pocket and stranded with 3G. If all you want is the cheapest talk-only phone service you're probably better off with Page Plus. If you just need some data you're probably better off with Republic Wireless.

It feels like what we're seeing is the evolution, or rather extinction of the SERO era... Sprint's made it pretty clear they want to do away with the SERO crowd and charge a comparable fee to what tmobile gets for its 4g service, even though Sprint isn't providing anywhere near the coverage for the price... I've been on SERO for years and from what I've seen many people would likely benefit from comparing other options out there, such as TING or Virgin Mobile or T-Mobile, or one of those... I'm strongly considering it myself... Many have lower monthly charges, no taxes, etc, which, in my state I pay 18% federal/state taxes which could be avoided by switching to another provider...

I still use my old TP2 as an alarm clock, and am sad about possibly upgrading from my HTC Arrive and switching service, but Sprint is making a mockery of cellular coverage... In my area I PEAK at 250-300k/s with Sprint, while T-Mobile, at&t, verizon, etc, get 4-18MB/s... Meanwhile every time I ask Sprint when we may get upgraded, I'm told the next quarter we're projected, while they keep upgrading little towns with population 2000-5000....

To those still on SERO I would strongly consider breaking out excel or a calculator and doing the math, look at 1-2 year windows and you'll see that you can wind up saving $300-500+ over a 2-year (contract) span by exploring other options, and get better coverage in many areas... If you play your cards right, you can upgrade phones every few years for free (assuming you sell the old phone)... It just requires some additional upfront costs to save in the long run...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.