• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I bought my first house and am due for a cell phone upgrade. I currently have ATT and would like to find a provider with an unlimited data plan that I can use to tether to get internet access on my laptop to avoid paying for a cell phone plan AND internet access at my house. Any ideas? ATT and Verizon nixed their unlimited data plans and Id like a phone with Android.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Where is this "trick" your speaking of? I searched and didn't find anything. Could you direct me to it please.

cmiller716 (Aug. 23, 2010 @ 12:47p) |

I have a Verizon data card in my laptop and tether my blackberry via AT&T once in a while (I do pay 10$ extra for it). I... (more)

GermanExpat (Aug. 23, 2010 @ 2:31p) |

FYI for those who follow this thread, Virgin Mobile is offering $40/month unlimited 3g starting 9/1 if you buy a USB (Si... (more)

forbin4040 (Aug. 25, 2010 @ 9:08a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Sprint! They have unlimited date plans for as cheap as 69.99, that includes i believe 450 anytime minutes, but the data part is unlimited. Onto the tethering...I know on some phones your not "allowed" to do it but it is possible to do. I recently upgraded to the HTC EVO (great phone, but thats another story). This phone comes with an app for wired tether to device of your choice, be it pc, laptop ps3 ect. This is free with your plan. The phone is also capable of broadcasting wifi for a fee through sprint, I think 30$ per month. You can connect up to 8 devices. Also the new 4G network is available in some markets, wgich is supposed to be incredibly fast. nOt sure where you are or if you have it yet. But I'm sure the 3G will do just fine for now. I know I probably sound like a rep for Sprint I am not though. Just a happy customer. Honestly this all sounds like it would fit what you need perfectly. The phone is the hottest phone out right now, blows away the iphone IMHO. And the phone will cover your tethering needs. Hopefully I helped. Let us know how you made out or what you decided.

The EVO

The Plans

Unsure wireless 3G will cover all your needs. Have used a few 3G datacards w laptop and vastly prefer wired net at home. Check other threads for those deals.

. .. so the above deal is $70 plus taxes? It would be nice to find a phone cheaper than the HTC EVO ( and without 1/2 year contract) that has comparable tethering options whether it needs to be hacked or not. Also, I have read that some providers will say unlimited data, but start to cap your bandwidth once you pass a threshold of say 5 gigs. I have not tethered before, but I wonder what the data speeds are . .. fast is very vague.

That's why you want to get Sprint. The evo is 4G and has UNLIMITED 4g tethering because it's on Clear's new network where they have bandwidth to spare - they need customers not bandwidth, the exact opposite situation of verizon/AT&T on their 3g networks. The Evo plan is $79.99/mo. including $10 4g plan(this is not optional). Sprint does offer discounts on its plans to many: credit union members, students, and lots of companies, see if you're eligible.:

code save50 for $50 invoice credit on each new line activation

code save50 for $50 invoice credit on each new line activation

I currently have a Sprint plan with an HTC Snap (s511). I use it to tether when I am away from a wi-fi signal. To go off of what cmiller716 said, you are looking at roughly 69.99 + 10 + taxes for an HTC Evo 4G.

A coworker of mine has a Motorola Droid (Verizon) while another coworker of mine has a HTC Touch Pro 2 (TMobile). I am not too sure about pricing, but I know Verizon does unlimited data.

Virgin Mobile has a new $25 all inclusive plan, but I am not too sure about the details and terms of that new deal. It seems their offerings of phones are very limited.

Sprint sounds like a good deal. I just got the droid x, so I'm in verizon. I'm currently paying $70 on the lowest plan (450 mins + $30 unlimited data). I know that tethering, at least legally, is $20/month and is capped at 2gb, then charged at some rate per mb. There are apps to tether to the droid x, but they require the phone to be "rooted" or hacked. The apps have really good reviews, but I wonder if and when Verizon will notice the tethering and start charging the customer. Supposedly, it goes against the terms of the service contract.

There is an app to use the droid via tether. It is called PDA Net. it is easy to use, and is free.
it does not require rooting or hacking the phone at all. it is simple --- install app, connect to laptop and surf the net.

If you connect your computer to Droid, can you use VPN on that machine or is it just for net surfing?
Did I read this correct that if you get Sprint $99 unlimited everything plan, you can officially connect your computer to cell phone and serf internet on computer?

I'll have to check out this Sprint deal. Thanks guys.

Anyone ever go through Wirefly?

I bought several times before from Wirefly. They're good and offers great deals. Be very very very careful not to change anything within your plan for the first six months. They will send you a big bill for breaking the contract. You can't downgrade, change ownership, remove a line and many other restrictions. If you do, the penalty is huge!

Verizon has unlimited data (Ok really 5GB but thats alot on a phone) for $29.99 on their smart phones, and the Palm Pre+ WebOS phone has a built in wifi Mobile hotspot that you can share with up to five devices built in. They used to charge extra for the Mobile Hotspot for it but now they don't.

Wizard83 said: Verizon has unlimited data (Ok really 5GB but thats alot on a phone) for $29.99 on their smart phones, and the Palm Pre+ WebOS phone has a built in wifi Mobile hotspot that you can share with up to five devices built in. They used to charge extra for the Mobile Hotspot for it but now they don't.5gb isn't a lot. I used up 1gb in 5 days just checking emails.

You'd have to be really cash strapped to suffice with just 3G as your main internet. Video streaming will be painful experiences with constant pausing for the video cache to keep up.

forbin4040 said: Wizard83 said: Verizon has unlimited data (Ok really 5GB but thats alot on a phone) for $29.99 on their smart phones, and the Palm Pre+ WebOS phone has a built in wifi Mobile hotspot that you can share with up to five devices built in. They used to charge extra for the Mobile Hotspot for it but now they don't.5gb isn't a lot. I used up 1gb in 5 days just checking emails.

That's not 5 megabytes it's 5 gigabytes. 5 gigabytes is a lot of data roughly the equivalent to the amount of data on a DVD+R. I have Verizon and I have never even come close to using the 5 gigabytes even with tethering. The only way you would reach that limit is if you were downloading movies or had a torrent running. Neither of those things is practical using a cell phone anyway.

The last time I checked, Verizon had the Palm Pre with free wireless tethering. You can consider Sprint if you want, but I have Verizon and my friend has Sprint. He can hardly ever get a signal especially in the house. I get signal everywhere and usually 3g signal. Before you decide search Google to find the location of cell towers in your area then make your decision. You will find that Verizon has towers everywhere. Sprint and AT&T have many fewer of them. At least that was the case with me.

Fast on 4G being almost instant, comparable to any DSL or cable.

desikid said: If you connect your computer to Droid, can you use VPN on that machine or is it just for net surfing?
Did I read this correct that if you get Sprint $99 unlimited everything plan, you can officially connect your computer to cell phone and serf internet on computer?

You read that right. There are actually plans cheaper than 99$, 69$ being the lowest. And of course like mentioned above add 10$ to the plan for the EVO for "premium data" (4G)

Ok I just spoke to "my guy" at Sprint. He has confirmed that there is no cap whatsoever and that is a big marketing thing on this phone. Thats why we're paying the 10$ for premium data. These are his words..."There is NO DATA CAP on the EVO. Phone data plan = no cap, Wired Tethering = no cap, Hotspot 3G = no cap, Hotspot 4G = no cap."

Also there is a 100$ MIR from sprint. Which is always wonderful!

how fast is web surfing while tethered? I think someone mentioned that it is comparable to DSL or cable? What about with streaming video such as Netflix?

My Sprint Touch Pro 2 total bill is about $45 with 200 minutes and unlimited Internet. Using the trick found on this site to get 25% discount (as AOL employee).

Add this software (for WIN phones only) and you create a 3G hotspot anywhere: http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

No tethering cable required.

kvs25 said: how fast is web surfing while tethered? I think someone mentioned that it is comparable to DSL or cable? What about with streaming video such as Netflix?

I tethered on my HTC Snap from Sprint. Sometimes when my house internet (Time Warner) was down, I would tether. I would do basic web browsing and YouTube. But, the speed was amazingly fast for what it's worth. I could open and load pages at the same rate of my Time Warner connection.

markbyte said: forbin4040 said: Wizard83 said: Verizon has unlimited data (Ok really 5GB but thats alot on a phone) for $29.99 on their smart phones, and the Palm Pre+ WebOS phone has a built in wifi Mobile hotspot that you can share with up to five devices built in. They used to charge extra for the Mobile Hotspot for it but now they don't.5gb isn't a lot. I used up 1gb in 5 days just checking emails.

That's not 5 megabytes it's 5 gigabytes. 5 gigabytes is a lot of data roughly the equivalent to the amount of data on a DVD+R. I have Verizon and I have never even come close to using the 5 gigabytes even with tethering. The only way you would reach that limit is if you were downloading movies or had a torrent running. Neither of those things is practical using a cell phone anyway.
I am talking about 5gb , When I called verizon and punched for 'Data Usage' it said I had used 1gb up only 5 days into the plan. I was quite shocked at how much I use. Luckily I am on their Unlimited Plan but still 1gb in 5 days? Yuck.

I have Sprint with my HTC Touch Pro 2. With a corporate discount, my wife has a Blackberry Tour and we have the unlimited data for $100/month family plan. Since the HTC TP2 runs Windows Mobile, I purchased the WMWiFiRouter program for $20 and it works as an access point for wifi devices wherever you are at.

Unfortunately, it only runs at 3G speeds, which is OK but not super fast. It works in a pinch, but you're not going to want to bittorrent much. However it works great in a pinch, say if you are traveling or camping and want to check something on the laptop.

briankh said: My Sprint Touch Pro 2 total bill is about $45 with 200 minutes and unlimited Internet. Using the trick found on this site to get 25% discount (as AOL employee).

Add this software (for WIN phones only) and you create a 3G hotspot anywhere: http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

No tethering cable required.

Where is this "trick" your speaking of? I searched and didn't find anything. Could you direct me to it please.

I have a Verizon data card in my laptop and tether my blackberry via AT&T once in a while (I do pay 10$ extra for it). I use Verizon when I am at my condo (no TV and no phone) and the most I am getting is around 200 KBit consistently. Works well for all my purposes (limited web surfing, email, Skype with no video, some work via VPN into our office etc.). Does not work if you want to use Hulu, Netflix or other streaming services. Same is valid for the AT&T 3G connection.

If you can get 4G in your area via Sprint go for it.

FYI for those who follow this thread, Virgin Mobile is offering $40/month unlimited 3g starting 9/1 if you buy a USB (Single Computer) device or a MiFi (5 computer). See deal in Hot Deals

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014