• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I picked up Staples official written policy on coupons. This also includes a small blurb on accepting competitors coupons (in-store). I have uploaded the three pages to ImageShack for display. Click on the image to enlarge/zoom.

Of interest is one section marked "Coupon Redemption Guidelines" (pg 1 of 3) - which states that Staples accepts coupons up to 7 days past the expiration date.

There is also a section marked "Competitor Coupons" (pg 2 of 3) with very little detail. I guess the individual store manager can create his/her own guidelines like: original or copied, applicable to sale or clearance items, stacking, etc. Bottom line though is that they should accept legitimate competitor coupons.

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/staplescouponpolicypage.jpg/
http://img641.imageshack.us/i/staplescouponpolicypage.jpg/
http://img576.imageshack.us/i/staplescouponpolicypage.jpg/

Note: This policy is available at all Staples stores if you ask for it.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I wish I would have known the last week.
"7 day grace period on coupon expiration dates to allow for customer satisfaction"

that is just for store guidelines.
It is good to know that they CAN accept expired coupons. Doesn't mean they will.

It doesn't say they have to accept competitors coupons either.

I wish I had access to that validation tool.

One mgr at the closest store to me has become a real ass. He comes to the register every time I check out and looks at the name on the rewards checks and makes sure I only use one coupon. I used to do 3 or so different purchases, with a coupon for each one.

The other day he wouldn't let me pick up 4 cases of paper for my sister. I had the customer copy of the orders but he said he needed an id with the purchase address on it. I asked if he could call to verify I was picking up for her, he wouldn't do it. From now on the will deliver every order for us, we will not be considerate of them.

jimates said: that is just for store guidelines.
It is good to know that they CAN accept expired coupons. Doesn't mean they will.

It doesn't say they have to accept competitors coupons either.

I wish I had access to that validation tool.

One mgr at the closest store to me has become a real ass. He comes to the register every time I check out and looks at the name on the rewards checks and makes sure I only use one coupon. I used to do 3 or so different purchases, with a coupon for each one.

The other day he wouldn't let me pick up 4 cases of paper for my sister. I had the customer copy of the orders but he said he needed an id with the purchase address on it. I asked if he could call to verify I was picking up for her, he wouldn't do it. From now on the will deliver every order for us, we will not be considerate of them.

Don't worry, that manager will lose his job pretty soon because sales at his store will fall and no one from Staples corporate will come to his rescue because he went out of his way to enforce Staples policies (sometimes beyond their limits). I have seen this happen to at least 3 such managers over the course of past 1 year. Just try to find out which store has lower sales (that means they are hungry for sales) and talk to the manager there that you would like to move all your business to their store and see what happens.

Thanks for posting that info.

One other bit to be aware of - manufacturer coupons ring up as a form of payment, so they must be the last coupons that are scanned. (I had one purchase that had to be re-rung twice to get that straight.) Also, this would mean they do not reduce the total if you're also using a Staples $-off coupon which has a minimum purchase amount, and they do not reduce the amount for Staples Rewards purposes.

This would not apply in CT, MA, PA, or TX, where it says manufacturer coupons are rung as Staples coupons so that as per state law the coupon will reduce the sales tax for the sale.

cuafe said: Thanks for posting that info.

One other bit to be aware of - manufacturer coupons ring up as a form of payment, so they must be the last coupons that are scanned. (I had one purchase that had to be re-rung twice to get that straight.) Also, this would mean they do not reduce the total if you're also using a Staples $-off coupon which has a minimum purchase amount, and they do not reduce the amount for Staples Rewards purposes.

This would not apply in CT, MA, PA, or TX, where it says manufacturer coupons are rung as Staples coupons so that as per state law the coupon will reduce the sales tax for the sale.
Yes, I am in Pa. and every time I have used a mfg coupon they look it up in a book and apply a 5 digit Staples coupon code to the transaction.

Would Staples take OD coupons then and allow us to purchase tech items?

Doua said: Would Staples take OD coupons then and allow us to purchase tech items?

It depends on whether they read the exclusions or not

If you go to OD website right now, there is a $10 off $25 coupon which is valid on technology items.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014