• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
It’s happened again. This time Blue Buffalo, the supposedly “all natural” dog food has poisoned 36 dogs with a potentially dangerous overdose of Vitamin D - reported the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients – and vigorously check them for dangerous impurities?

With Blue Buffalo, the dangerous high levels of vitamin D in dogs cause Hypercalcemia, a serious and potentially fatal illness that affects organ function and can cause renal failure, coma and death in untreated cases, according to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Luckily, no deaths have thus far been reported. However, that might only be because Vitamin D poisoning is so difficult to diagnose. Indicia in dogs’ presents as increased lethargy, the drinking of an unusually high amount of water and frequent urination – common indicators for a lot of conditions, including urinary infections or overheating due to exposure on a very hot day. So, owners may have had very sick dogs and not even known the real reason why.

Due to Blue Buffalo’s failure to provide proper quality control for it’s dog food, and in an effort to stave off potential lawsuits - Bill Bishop, The company’s CEO has promised to reimburse any veterinary or testing expenses related to illness caused by his tainted products. In calling Mr. Bishop, Blue Buffalo’s customer service staff were surly regarding their company’s mistake. They also couldn’t explain why consumer questions related to their Blue Buffalo’s food’s vitamin content were not responded to – as far back as July 2010.

Sadly, Blue Buffalo’s Vitamin D poisoning is not limited to any one region, but is a nationwide epidemic. Researchers at Michigan State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine have thus far linked 16 sick dogs in eight states -- Michigan, Texas, Colorado, Wisconsin, California, Illinois, North Dakota and Utah -- to the brand's Wilderness Chicken recipe after veterinarians sought tests from the university's Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health. All of those dogs had high levels of vitamin D in their blood and were fed the recalled dry dog food.

The recalled Blue Buffalo dog food products are:
Blue Wilderness Chicken Flavor in the 4.5-pound bag with use-by dates of: "JUL2611Z," "JUL2711Z" and "JUL2811Z."
Blue Wilderness Chicken Flavor in the 11-pound bag with a use-by date of "JUL1211B."
Blue Wilderness Chicken Flavor in the 24-pound bag with use-by dates of "JUL1211B" and "JUL1311B."
Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Salmon and Potato Recipe in the 11-pound bag with use-by dates of "AUG2111B" and "AUG2211B."
Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Salmon and Potato Recipe in the 24-pound bag with use-by dates of "AUG2111B," "SEP2311P" and "OCT2611P."
Blue Life Protection Formula Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Large Breed Adult dog food in the 30-pound bag with use-by dates of "SEP2211P," "SEP2311P" and "OCT2611P."

Consumers who have purchased any of the tainted Blue Buffalo dog food should return them for a full refund at the place of purchase. Even if you have a non-recalled bag from that approximate time period – return it. In the past, previous dog food recalls have expanded as more information regarding a manufacturers malfeasance becomes uncovered.

If you are concerned by Blue Buffalo’s failure to provide adequate supervision of it’s dog food manufacturing process – give Bill Bishop at Blue Buffalo a call and let him know your disappointment at (877) 523-9114 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time. If the customer service staff try to play down the recall or refuse to put you through to Mr. Bishop– write about your experience on Fatwallet.com or on another consumer website.

Consumer’s pay a great deal for “all natural” or “organic” dog food – It is unconscionable that dog food companies like Blue Buffalo don’t properly oversee the quality of the ingredients they put into their dog food.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I actually brought my damn dog food in to a PETsMART and they said my date didn't match the recall. THESE DATES ARE MY DOG FOOD! I'm sue the f**k out of Petmart for turning me away if my dog gets sick.

Thanks for passing this info along. One of my cats lost 1/3 of his body weight after Royal Canin had high levels of vitamin D in some of their food. Luckily, he recovered and is now fatter than ever.

opathal,

The recall notice at the Blue Buffalo web site says to call Blue Buffalo.

I feed my dog Blue Buffalo Chicken Large Breed Adult and also sometimes the Blue Wilderness Chicken -- both on the recall list. Fortunately, her food's use-by dates are not within the recall date ranges.

I would definitely call Blue Buffalo, but be prepared for a customer service staff that is ill prepared to answer questions in a substantive manner. If Blue Buffalo was really a dog food company who is responsible - it would have notified every customer on it's email list. Neither I nor any other Blue Buffalo consumer I know recieved any notification of the potential Vitamin D poisoning nor the FDA mandated recall.

IrateConsumer said: When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients?

When a bag of dog food costs as much as a bag of human food.

I like the Solid Gold brand Barking at the Moon flavor.

http://www.solidgoldnorthwest.com/products/pro_dry/pro_barking.html

aleck said: IrateConsumer said: When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients?

After all the recalls we went with raw food for our cats - human grade, and costs as much as (if not more than) human food...

aleck said: IrateConsumer said: When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients?

Aleck, at this rate, with Blue Buffalo the cost of dog food is getting pretty close to the cost of human grade food.
Wait, a minute... in many African and third world nations, the cost of human grade food actually costs less than Blue Buffalo dog food.

Either way, dog food must be safe. In this instance, Blue Buffalo caused the problem due to it's own negligence. Instead of taking full responsibility - Blue Buffalo blamed it's supplier of Vitamin D who supposedly failed to recalibrate it's mixing process, thereby adding too much Vitamin D into Blue Buffalo's dry dog food.

When I went to the Blue Buffalo website - I don't even see the recall mentioned on the home page. WHY?

If Blue Buffalo is honestly upset about the mistake - could your company please distribute television commercials that mention the recall - you already have a myriad of tv commercials touting how natural your product is and good for dogs. Blue Buffalo, could you also please email every person on your mailing list informing them of the recall. Both of these remedial actions would show good faith. They are also the right thing to do before more dogs get sick or die due to your unsafe manufacturing practices.

If Blue Buffalo is truly the "natural' dog food company - why aren't you doing everything in your power to make this situation right?

IrateConsumer said: aleck said: IrateConsumer said: When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients?

Aleck, at this rate, with Blue Buffalo the cost of dog food is getting pretty close to the cost of human grade food.
Wait, a minute... in many African and third world nations, the cost of human grade food actually costs less than Blue Buffalo dog food.

Either way, dog food must be safe. In this instance, Blue Buffalo caused the problem due to it's own negligence. Instead of taking full responsibility - Blue Buffalo blamed it's supplier of Vitamin D who supposedly failed to recalibrate it's mixing process, thereby adding too much Vitamin D into Blue Buffalo's dry dog food.

When I went to the Blue Buffalo website - I don't even see the recall mentioned on the home page. WHY?

If Blue Buffalo is honestly upset about the mistake - could your company please distribute television commercials that mention the recall - you already have a myriad of tv commercials touting how natural your product is and good for dogs. Blue Buffalo, could you also please email every person on your mailing list informing them of the recall. Both of these remedial actions would show good faith. They are also the right thing to do before more dogs get sick or die due to your unsafe manufacturing practices.

If Blue Buffalo is truly the "natural' dog food company - why aren't you doing everything in your power to make this situation right?

well said. This is disgusting and shameful, but not surprising.... For anyone interested here's linkya link to a scary book on Amazon, an excerpt of it can be found by googling Food Pets Die For. Shocking, to say the least

When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients?

Are human grade ingredients safer? Off the top of my head we have had people dying of:

eggs
peanut butter and not allergies
countless meat recalls
chichis forget the sickness that help shutter the chain
various ecoli from tomatoes lettuce.

DreamReamer said: When are dog food manufacturers going to start using human grade ingredients?

Are human grade ingredients safer? Off the top of my head we have had people dying of:

eggs
peanut butter and not allergies
countless meat recalls
chichis forget the sickness that help shutter the chain
various ecoli from tomatoes lettuce.

Chichi's was scallions. My parents got sick from that. My dog also died from that last huge dog food recall (the one that affected like 10 brands a few years back). Very sad.

When corporations are no longer given legal status of a legal "person", and the patent office revoke all patents on DNA and life. Then we probably have a chance to stop feeding corn to cows and pigs.

Well, I think this issue has to do in part with the fact that dogs and cats were traditionally considered chattel, in other words property. Dog food manufacturers knew they could get away with using inferior ingredients whose origin was dubious since damages for harm or even death to the animals were negligible.

Flash forward to today, and in the most extreme instances a dog food company can be shut down for willful misconduct. And, damages for harm to a pet might also include lose of companionship which far exceeds the monetary value for say a 5 year old mutt.

Whether dog food is prepared using human grade or feed grade ingredients should not matter - all the ingredients must be safe. A few years ago - I posted an ongoing fatwallet.com threat about boycotting dog food and toys made in China. With absolutely no oversight on production - the use of harmful ingredients there has continued to be rampant.

So, for my dogs - I switched to only using dog food prepared in the United States using ingredients grown and prepared in the States. At the prices I pay for organic and natural dog food - Blue Buffalo and other dog food companies better get their act together.

Sorry, this will never stop as long as the priority is big profits over quality food. Iams canned cat food killed my prize Persian cat in the Menu Foods recall and its been five years and the settlement is not complete yet.

NotaBushfool said: Sorry, this will never stop as long as the priority is big profits over quality food.Sorry to be the bearer of reality, but companies will ALWAYS put profits first!
That's a fact of life.
It's not just dog food / cat food companies, it's ALL companies regardless of what they are making or selling.
Even the human food chain is continually receiving contaminated food.

Having safe dog food is not mutually exclusive from the concept of making a profit.

In fact, consumers like myself are willing to pay more for healthy, organic, human grade dog food. And, so long as it is advertised that way - companies like Blue Buffalo have a legal obligation to fulfill their end of the bargain and provide what they purport their product to be.

if a company lies, makes false claims or is negligent - they will eventually be sued out of business, or shut down by the government - that makes complete sense to me. Since Blue Buffalo has not put the recall on their website's front page and buried the information within it's website, I think the company deserves to lose market share and/or go out-of-business if they refuse to disclose the recall in complete candor.

Blue Buffalo is just another in a line of hyped dog food manufacturers who aren't the real deal, but mere marketing machines. They capitalize on the latest buzz words and trends. This time it is "natural" and "organic" - however, they don't want to put the effort into really making good on these concepts.

Yet, there is a ray of hope in the Blue Buffalo recall. In response to the demand for organic or natural dog food - a number of new dog food companies have formed that actually do use organic ingredients. And, that is very good for the consumer and their dogs.

I am not jaded nor pessimistic regarding whether the marketplace will create healthy dog food that is organic and uses human grade ingredients. In fact, I am grateful for the changes. My dogs have lived much longer because canine nutritional health has improved greatly in the last 10 years.

I had posted several months ago on various websites that my dog was having running eyes after eating Blue Buffalo.

We thought it was a superior dog food.

Finally our gut told us to switch and we are grateful.

California Natural - Grain Free has been awesome.

Sorry to any pet owners that tortured their dog by given their pet toxic dog food.
I feel horrible for the many months of pain/discomfort which I caused my puppy before finally switching brands.

Screw Blue Buffalo! I am pissed.

My cat had been on BB sensitive skin formula for 18 months due to him pulling/licking most of his hair out. It was the only food he did well on. (we tried 5 different foods before finding BB) BB completely revamped their cat food with no warning 2-3 months ago. My cat started getting sick when we tried to switch him to the red bag. (salmon I think) I called BB and they called me back leaving a very detailed message about their product and to try their Basic because is was as close as we could get to the single protein diet they had been making. He still got sick. My 9.7lb cat went down to 7.4lb in a matter of weeks as we tried to find a new food for him. When I called BB back and asked about the recall I saw on their site (2-3 months ago and haven't checked it since) they said that the VitD was only with the dog food. Now I am really wondering if this poor cat was not poisened. I am taking our geriatric dog to the vet in a couple of hours and will be asking the vet about VitD poisoning. Thank You everyone who posted what the symptoms were. I will NEVER trust this company again just because of the way they changed their cat food. A reputable company would have put stickers on the bags and cans/signs in all of the stores that sell their product to warn us about an upcomming change so we could switch our cat safely over to another food.

I bought from PETsMART before oct 13th, so they exchanged my sample (in a target bag) for new fresh product.

oh my goodness, had no idea!!
been feeding our now 1yr old and our older dog blue buffalo limited ingredients "turkey and potato" to avoid this very issue of toxins in their food, while in PETsMART in the past 6 mo have run into 2 reps from the company, one as recently as 2 weeks ago and no mention of any issues, feel bad that I recommended this to a few of my friends who switched their dog food, now what? what do I feed them now? the fact that there wasn't a recall concerns me in that they are not taking enough responsibility for something this serious, I was looking for coupon when I found this site, today when I buy dog food I will switch to something else!!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014