Cheap way to learn how to drive?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hey guys,

Im a college student and want to learn how to drive. I will self-study the written test. However, driving lessons are really expensive! They are $40 per hour and I'd probably have to go for 5-10 classes!

Anyone have any ideas?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Get a buddy willing to teach you. Auto transmission is a piece of cake. And with every car having power steering and power brakes even easier. If you have a car it would be better... Find a big open field or empty parking lot to get used to control the car. Then slowly go on the roads and eventually the highways. That's how I learned...

Go to an arcade and play a driving game. Lesson learned.

When I learned to drive, my car insurance company gave me a discount for taking a driving class which more than made up for the cost of the class. YMMV.

BradMajors said:   When I learned to drive, my car insurance company gave me a discount for taking a driving class which more than made up for the cost of the class. YMMV.

That sounds like a defensive driving course, which doesn't involve any real driving.

In Driver's Ed in high school, we didn't even drive for more than 2 hours in the car. Though I second the find a friend to teach you option or find some kid on campus that needs cash for beer and offer like $15-$20/hr.

If you can not find anyone with a car how about learning to drive using either a go kart or a golf cart?

YouTube driving lesson videos aren't a bad starting point.

Find a big, empty parking lot or, even better, an abandoned airport, and practice at slow speed, getting the feel of the steering and, more importantly, the brakes. If the car has ABS, traction control, and stability control, leave them turned on. Braking on snow or ice is a lot, lot worse than a dry surface or in non-freezing rain, even with ABS. Practice parallel parking, using a couple of plastic cans or traffic cones.

A manual transmission can make parallel parking and uphill stop signs "interesting", and you really want to practice handling them before going into traffic.

Learn how to handle tire blow-outs and sudden stalls. If a tire blows, you don't want to suddenly push the brake or jerk the steering wheel. Hold the wheel firmly and gradually slow down.

Make sure that you go to get a learner's permit from your state. If you have it, the person who's car you are using, may then be able to file a claim in case there is some damage due to an accident. Seriously? Go take professional lessons! Why ruin a friendship if you have an accident? You have no insurance, and you have no money to pay the person if you damage their car.

jjwongw said:   Hey guys,

Im a college student and want to learn how to drive. I will self-study the written test. However, driving lessons are really expensive! They are $40 per hour and I'd probably have to go for 5-10 classes!

Anyone have any ideas?
If you think driving lessons are expensive, wait until you have to purchase a car, pay for insurance and possibly pay for tickets.

Don't you have any friend that has driving experience and has a car.
Get him/her teach you how to

pianoCM said:   Don't you have any friend that has driving experience and has a car.
Get him/her teach you how to

You'd let someone who doesn't have a license, experience or insurance drive your car?

handyguy said:   You'd let someone who doesn't have a license, experience or insurance drive your car?You may not do it, but it happens all the time.

Driving lessons? Go to a farm and borrow a tractor. At the least it will give you a workout.

Move to NJ ... no driving skills required.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014