Is EZPass service fee avoidable?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just a question for you guys. I have a commute from Pittsburgh to New Jersey at least a few times per month. I end up using the PA turnpike fairly regularly. My family is in New Jersey and I use the NJ turnpike as well as the bridges/tunnels to New York occasionally. I am just a little annoyed at seeing an "Account Service Fee" of $1.00 every month on my EZPass bill (which is currently through EZPass NJ). Is there any way to avoid the $1.00 fee every month?

Thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I signed up via MassDOT (FastLane) - free as long as you use a CC to replenish automatically and deposit $20 to start and view statements online. And no questions asked (NJ). Tip is select Mass to start as otherwise you'll get redirected to your home state. Then fill out the form and use your correct info.

You won't get discounts that are specific to your state (ie NY bridges if car pooling), but you do get the NJ TPKE discount rates during off peak.

Direct link here

FYI - when I got my transponder I noticed a charge the day before I received it. Apparently it got activated in transit on the USPS mail truck. Called them and they took care it with no problems.

What state charges a service fee? We have one EZ Pass account in NY and live in Mass. We have automatic replenishment using a Credit Card and two transponders, one of which has a Yearly Permit. There are no service fees and no deposits required on the transponders.

eddot98 said:   What state charges a service fee? We have one EZ Pass account in NY and live in Mass. We have automatic replenishment using a Credit Card and two transponders, one of which has a Yearly Permit. There are no service fees and no deposits required on the transponders.

Almost all states now charges service fees. NY (other than the NYNJ port authority) doesn't as well as Mass. I think MD doesn't either but discourages out of staters from getting a tag from them.

There is a thread here somewhere...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014