• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Are there any usage limits for my broadband service?

Yes. As of May 2, 2011, AT&T's residential DSL High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 150 Gigabytes ("GB") per month, and its residential U-verse High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 250 Gigabytes ("GB") per month. The usage allowance is the amount of data you can send and receive each month.

Why is AT&T implementing a usage allowance?
AT&T has experienced a dramatic increase in the amount of data that is sent and received over its wireline broadband networks. This dramatic increase is driven primarily by a small fraction of our customers. In fact, the top 2% of customers use about 20% of the total capacity on our network. A single high traffic user can utilize the same amount of data capacity as 19 typical households. Lopsided usage patterns can cause congestion at certain points in the network, which can slow Internet speeds and interfere with other customers' access to and use of the network.

What is a gigabyte?
A gigabyte is a unit of measurement of the amount of data that is transmitted over the Internet. Approximately 50,000 single-page e-mails (without attachments), for example, equate to about 1 GB. It is important to remember that a GB represents the amount of data sent over the network, and not the amount of time spent using the Internet.

How much is 150 GB?
150 GB is far more data than most customers ever use in a month. Our average DSL customer uses only about 18 GB per month. In fact, less than 2% of DSL users utilize more than 150 GB per month. We estimate that 98% of our customers will not be affected by this change because the monthly usage allowance includes so much bandwidth.

How much do I get with 150 or 250 GB?
You can do a lot with 150 or 250 GB. Here is an example.

Monthly Activity 150 GB 250 GB
Send/receive one page emails 10,000 emails

-and-
10,000 emails

-and-

Download/upload a medium resolution photo to social media site like Facebook 3,000 photos

-and-
4,000 photos

-and-

MP3 Songs downloaded 2,000 songs

-and-
3,000 songs

-and-

Stream a one-minute YouTube video (standard quality) 5,000 views

-and-

-and-

Watch hour-long TV Shows (high quality) 100 shows

-and -
200 shows

-and -

Stream full length movies (Standard Definition: SD; High Definition: HD) 20 SD or 10 HD movies 25 SD or 13 HD movies

Usage examples are estimates based on typical file sizes and/or duration of file transfer or streaming event.

Been with ATT for 14 years, time to find a new provider.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have TW cable, but I'm thinking about getting U-verse, it just became available in my area.

Falcon27 (May. 10, 2011 @ 12:28p) |

What I was told, this is for U-verse.

ATT rep. said: "You will receive a notice the first time your usage exceeds the app... (more)

Falcon27 (May. 13, 2011 @ 2:55p) |

The thing I hate about this is that it hits hardest against those who are already paying the most. The faster (and more ... (more)

wordgirl (May. 18, 2011 @ 10:31a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Bye bye U-Verse. I'm about to drop them like a ROCK.

Uverse is 250 GB

"Stream full length movies ... 20 SD or 10 HD movies"

Oooooo! I can watch one movie every three days, if I don't read email or do anything else.

I swore I would never deal with Charter Cable again, but I guess it's time to go look at their internet service. There's no other alternative around here.

Lemondrop said:   Uverse is 250 GB

I know. I can eat that up in about 10 days.

BTW, I know how much BW costs in BULK because I own a hosting company, and 250GB of data, at the bulk teir-pricing for a company is like $1-4 per MONTH at most. I pay $2-10 per 300GB in our datacenters right now.

This is just a way for them to "tax" the heavier hitters on their network.

THEY WILL ALSO FORCE YOU TO UPGRADE TO UVERSE IF YOUR ON REGULAR DSL

Sonic and dslextreme dont do this

alochet said:   THEY WILL ALSO FORCE YOU TO UPGRADE TO UVERSE IF YOUR ON REGULAR DSL

Sonic and dslextreme dont do this

Won't be forcing me. I've been enjoying 2MB's DL speed for years with ATT. Was good when all that anyone could get was dialup but now it sucks. I'm swapping to brighthouse for my home phone and internet. They quoted us $67 a month for 12 months (free home phone for 12 months) for the 30MB road runner. Right now we spend around $130 for phone and 2MB. Thanks AT&T, you just saved me money

This is a way to attack Netflix/Amazon by making their TV/On-Demand product, Uverse more economically attractive.
To a degree I can understand bandwidth capping for wireless phones. Wireless bandwidth is scarce due to spectrum and neighborhood issues. But bandwidth to landline is cheap and their equipment was paid for 10 years ago. This is just greed and the FTC should do something about it.

Saw an interview with AT&T CEO about 2 months ago on msnbc where he stated he didn't see an issue with usage: "only 2% of customers are considered excessive users and we will deal with them separately" in so many words. Why not charge the repeat "offenders" only? Made sense when he talked about it then. Guess the legal department had a say in this...

Speak with your purse - that said, 150 GB is quite a bit - even with all the streaming and such.

Will there be different caps for different level? It would not be fair for higher paying customers to get the same allotment as lower paying customers in my opinion (especially as an "elite" U-verse customer). This sucks even more in light of the fact that my rate just went up this bill.

I have vehemently opposed switching to Brighthouse--our only other choice--to think this might force me to switch makes me vomit a little bit.

I wonder what instructions customer retention have been given--my account is an all or nothing deal. They will not have my landline (need it for work) or cell accounts either if I switch.

I understand this completely. Due to the recent unrest in the middle east the price of bandwidth has sky rocketed due to global shortages. If we keep using the internet at our present rate we will run out of bandwidth by 2018

** EDIT: Wow, 15 REDS and not one person to give reasoning behind it? Only one response that is even remotely considered a retort, I guess, but it's completely off-topic with cable franchising. Oh well, I gave some further clarification a few posts down. It's a real shame that so many people think that the thousands of hard working employees that must make up this company exist solely to make your life worse.

People immediately cry foul at the limit, but AT&T doesn't do this for "greed". This country is far too quick to demonize business. They are doing it to improve overall service satisfaction.

I don't think it's about providing less at all, but aligning their service to be more in line with what they view as the service they originally wanted to provide fairly to all users. They don't make money on this deal... and they don't do it just for kicks. They do it for a direct correlation to service quality.

I think the company provided a service, and the usage of that service went well beyond their original intentions of what they wanted to provide. So now they revise.
If the car dealership sold you a car for 20 grand, and all of a sudden realized that the contracts they were using entitled you to use any car on the lot you wanted, they might make some adjustments.

People may cry foul about this being "greed" but I think a data cap is an investment in infrastructure. It's about improving service for users. And that move may come at the expense of others that use the service in a way that the provider doesn't intend.

It isn't greed. It's business. They exist to make money, and they make money from the masses, not the outliers.

If you are an out-lier and need something different from your service, then I totally agree with one of the above statements: Vote with your wallet. That's the great thing about America.

Curious on the Bright House comments above, as that is available here but I haven't given it a long look in the past... why are you "vehemently opposed" to it? The thing that gets me about a lot of these companies are the "promos" for X months... I'm not interested in getting the jacked up rates 6-12 months in.. what a nightmare that would be. :

I just read the faq on this and there is only one cap for dsl and one for u-verse...

I tried to view my usage using their tool (myusage.att.com) and got this message (of course):

The U-verse data measurement report is currently under construction. When completed, you will be notified if your usage exceeds the allowance. Until that time, U-verse customers should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

I thought "deregulation" was supposed to afford customers choices--fat chance. I live in a large metro area, not out in the sticks, and there is no competition. I don't consider one cable company or one telephone company really giving consumers a choice.

Fizzter said:   Curious on the Bright House comments above, as that is available here but I haven't given it a long look in the past... why are you "vehemently opposed" to it? The thing that gets me about a lot of these companies are the "promos" for X months... I'm not interested in getting the jacked up rates 6-12 months in.. what a nightmare that would be. :
My issues with Brighthouse have to do with the (lack of) customer service in my area. It is run like a very small operation with banker's hours (not open late, closed weekends, have to go into the office for everything) and no real tech support available after hours (they are working on this supposedly). The lack of international programming, pricing not available on the website (only limited info for promo bundles--GRRR), and attitude of the CSRs in my area do not bolster my opinion of them.

How long before they reduce these caps further or start charging "a la carte" for specific items. Once they develop the groundwork, its only a matter of time before price creeping. Luckily I dont have them but if I did, I would leave for sure.

guptnav said:   How long before they reduce these caps further or start charging "a la carte" for specific items. Once they develop the groundwork, its only a matter of time before price creeping. Luckily I dont have them but if I did, I would leave for sure. If this does not fit your paradime, vote with your purse. A business will adjust/learn if the consumer is willing to communicate this to them - by using their purse - and as long as it is not the only option out there. Until now, their quality of service has been reasonable in my area - I dumped their landline service (too expensive), but I still have naked DSL and it is fine. 150GB is plenty for now. But tomorrow, who knows.

AT&T can do this so long as they and the local monopoly cable provider have a shared monopoly on residential internet service. Things are changing, slowly. CLEAR is in some markets (charging just as much as the shared monopoly) but three providers is the beginning of the break of the shared monopoly. If WiMax ever takes off big-time, or the cell phone companies get into home internet service big time, customers will benefit from that increased competition.

It is absurd the price we have to pay for the low speeds we get. In other places in the world, Asia for one, 20Mb down is common, and prices are a fcattion of US prices. That si what a monopoly does for you... high prices, low service.

I had unfortunate experience of having my DSL plan expire on the 17th this month, which happened to be right after they announced this and before they trained their CSR's. I was forwarded around and around trying to find out what my monthly usage was. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't go over before I signed up for another 12 month plan. Turns out I wasted 3 hours of my life on the phone with AT&T because:

1) They no longer have 12 month plans available for existing customers. My rate jumped from $18 to $33 (there may be retention offers but I wasn't going to bother)
2) A few days later they put a usage tool online

I was surprised to find out I've only been using 40-50 GB a month. I thought I would be near the limit because of roughly 1 hour of Netflix a day, a few GB's of MP3's from Amazon and very heavy gaming on Xbox Live. This is with their Pro Plan where I was getting ~3MB down and ~275K up.

Starting this Saturday Time Warner Cable will be my new internet provider where I'll be paying $29.99 a month for 10MB down and 1 MB up.

OneStepAhead said:   AT&T can do this so long as they and the local monopoly cable provider have a shared monopoly on residential internet service. Things are changing, slowly. CLEAR is in some markets (charging just as much as the shared monopoly) but three providers is the beginning of the break of the shared monopoly. If WiMax ever takes off big-time, or the cell phone companies get into home internet service big time, customers will benefit from that increased competition.

It is absurd the price we have to pay for the low speeds we get. In other places in the world, Asia for one, 20Mb down is common, and prices are a fcattion of US prices. That si what a monopoly does for you... high prices, low service.

"Shared monopoly"? What? Are you accusing them of price-fixing or what, exactly? Or do you just have an issue with an oligopoly?

You say "It is absurd the price we have to pay...", but you don't HAVE to pay anything. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

FrugalDutchman said:   Saw an interview with AT&T CEO about 2 months ago on msnbc where he stated he didn't see an issue with usage: "only 2% of customers are considered excessive users and we will deal with them separately" in so many words. Why not charge the repeat "offenders" only? Made sense when he talked about it then. Guess the legal department had a say in this...

I'm gonna guess fair usage to them is to us is actually low usage.

Vote Em Out
Disclaimer
Fizzter said:   People immediately cry foul at the limit, but AT&T doesn't do this for "greed". This country is far too quick to demonize business. They are doing it to improve overall service satisfaction.

I don't think it's about providing less at all, but aligning their service to be more in line with what they view as the service they originally wanted to provide fairly to all users. They don't make money on this deal... and they don't do it just for kicks. They do it for a direct correlation to service quality.

I think the company provided a service, and the usage of that service went well beyond their original intentions of what they wanted to provide. So now they revise.
If the car dealership sold you a car for 20 grand, and all of a sudden realized that the contracts they were using entitled you to use any car on the lot you wanted, they might make some adjustments.

People may cry foul about this being "greed" but I think a data cap is an investment in infrastructure. It's about improving service for users. And that move may come at the expense of others that use the service in a way that the provider doesn't intend.

It isn't greed. It's business. They exist to make money, and they make money from the masses, not the outliers.

If you are an out-lier and need something different from your service, then I totally agree with one of the above statements: Vote with your wallet. That's the great thing about America.

Curious on the Bright House comments above, as that is available here but I haven't given it a long look in the past... why are you "vehemently opposed" to it? The thing that gets me about a lot of these companies are the "promos" for X months... I'm not interested in getting the jacked up rates 6-12 months in.. what a nightmare that would be. :

For reliability and increased customer satisfaction, UPGRADE THE EQUIPMENT ALREADY!

They got in to it to lock it down! IMO franchising needs to END. People complained when gov got into healthcare, etc.. where is that outrage on locked out cable competition due to being in bed with city government?

The way to change this is to vote into city and county people that take the anti-franchising viewpoint. We can change it through local voting. WE control our cities and towns. Ask your current leaders if they support anti-competitive franchise agreements, and if they say yes, vote em out.

Fizzter is a shill and my guess is somehow related to the industry

Cable_Communications_Act_of_1984
CABLE TELEVISION CONSUMER PROTECTION AND COMPETITION ACT OF 1992

You might think 150gb is acceptable, but Netflix will inevitably increase the quality of their HD streaming (along with Hulu/Amazon). I would vote with your feet. I have no problems with these download hoarder types who stockpile terabytes of stuff they'll never take a second look getting throttled to 56k speeds, but to punish the paying customer is unacceptable. It seems like Comcast and AT&T are the only US carriers already capping bandwidth, who's next?

Fizzter said:   Curious on the Bright House comments above, as that is available here but I haven't given it a long look in the past... why are you "vehemently opposed" to it? The thing that gets me about a lot of these companies are the "promos" for X months... I'm not interested in getting the jacked up rates 6-12 months in.. what a nightmare that would be. :

I've had TWC/Bright House/RoadRunner in Tampa since 2000. The Internet plan used to be 5/1 for $45/month in 2000. Until last week, I was paying $47.95/month for a 10/1 connection, now they have raised rates to $50/month. So pretty much paid the same for 11 years. No speed throttling, unlimited usage allowance.

BH are running adverts on TV offering the 10/1 connection plus digital home phone combo for $50/month for 12 months. I just switched to Verizon FIOS for a 15/5 connection plus digital home phone combo for $45/month for 12 months.

However, BrightHouse has good technical support and great customer service. I have hardly ever needed to call tech support, but my dad does all the time and he's very happy. Also, BH sends techs to your residence at no charge, sometimes same day or mostly next day.

Usage caps are nothing but bait-and-switch, genie back in the bottle nonsense. Punish the heavy abusers before you implement silly caps across the board.

Are any of the companies implementing usage caps offering refunds for all the internet-connected devices I bought that depend on having uncapped internet usage?

If anyone has a contract, this is a material change to that contract with AT&T and you can break the contract without any early termination fees (not sure if these apply to Uverse).

WATCHNSCOTCH said:   You might think 150gb is acceptable, but Netflix will inevitably increase the quality of their HD streaming (along with Hulu/Amazon). I would vote with your feet. I have no problems with these download hoarder types who stockpile terabytes of stuff they'll never take a second look getting throttled to 56k speeds, but to punish the paying customer is unacceptable. It seems like Comcast and AT&T are the only US carriers already capping bandwidth, who's next?

Time Warner already does it?

But you bring up a good point, server hosting utilizes this same concept. You get 2TB a month.. After that, your 100Mbps connection is reduced to 10Mbps until the month ends.

They could utilize the same concept.. You pay $50 a month for 16/2. If you hit 250GB, you are reduced to 2Mbps/384Kbps. They are utilizing this measure for three reasons in my mind, and I have been using the internet/computers for a very long time.

1. They are working on containing the bittorrent/P2P monster.
2. They are working on using this measure to bully out companies like Netflix who are stealing their TV/video business.
3. They can offer higher "on paper" service speeds, if they can eliminate the abusing users, because there is more bandwidth now available.

The reasons smaller countries can have ridiculous speeds for cheap.. They have physically small infrastructures to maintain, reducing costs. USA is a rather large country.

DrKlahn said:   "Stream full length movies ... 20 SD or 10 HD movies"

Oooooo! I can watch one movie every three days, if I don't read email or do anything else.

I swore I would never deal with Charter Cable again, but I guess it's time to go look at their internet service. There's no other alternative around here.

If you READ the article you would notice "AND" This means that you could do all those actions and still be within the limit. Apparently you have no clue how much data your using but i doubt you would fall into the 2%. Even people saying they could go over the limit wouldn't be able to to do it consistently unless you keep downloading the same stuff over and over again.

Stunner2xx said:   "Even people saying they could go over the limit wouldn't be able to to do it consistently unless you keep downloading the same stuff over and over again.

I have THREE separate IPTV providers (actually only two now that IVI.tv was ruled illegal by the courts but I did have 3) that stream live TV plus I use a LOT of Internet.

I'm not watching the same program over and over again. I'm watching different programs everyday. You know they make more than one movie, game, TV show, etc., right? Once you download one movie you don't just have all the movies for life?

AT&T is the worst provider on the planet. Backwards, stone-age, old, corrupt, grandpa acting, caveman-like company. I think they should bring back quarter a minute long distance too. Or they could bring back the original AOL pricing model where they give us all 5 hours of Internet a month for $9.95 and after that we pay $4.80/hour for Internet. EVERYONE used to charge like this in the beginning for those of you who have been online for a while. THEN the Internet moved to unlimited pricing just like cell phones are doing. AT&T apparently wants to go back to metered. But that's why everyone is leaving AT&T.

Check out some of the Comcast Xfinity products. Yes, yes, I know: Comcast sucks. Who doesn't suck? The days of the mom & pop ISP are over - they've all been bought or run out of town. You're going to have to choose the devil you want to deal with.

Anyhow, call Comcast directly and prepare to haggle. I got 30Mbps down 6Mbps up for $29 / month for a year, no contract. At the end of the year I'll reevaluate the market and bang on retentions again to give me a good price to stay.

This was a nice upgrade over the 1.5 Mbps Verizon dry loop for which I was paying $35 / month.

can anyone recommend a bandwidth counter?

Isn't comcast too have 250gb limit. Login into account and check usage.

Will they notified you if you near the limit or do they just kick you off or make you pay per GB after the limit?

FrugalFreak said:   

Fizzter is a shill and my guess is somehow related to the industry

I have no connections to the cable industry whatsoever, unless you consider my being a U-Verse customer. That's about it.

I just don't believe these businesses are inherently evil like everyone else does. I do work for a large company, and I understand the extreme complexities that go into maintaining such a large infrastructure so many people use. I believe AT&T is made of many types of solid workforce people all trying to bring bigger & better technology to the world.

I believe the "upgrade the equipment already!" statements are far more loaded than anyone can imagine, and require a fine balance of billions of dollars, careful planning and execution, security analysis, and current-version optimization. I believe that the fine tuning of this service, by instituting bandwidth caps, is part of building a better business to as many subscribers as possible(that current-version optimization thing). There is no logic behind the company purposely making a service worse for people. Each step they take is to improve the business. That is how business works. They don't exist merely to hurt you and ruin your life.

All of the above is completely independent of how you feel about the "franchising" issue. I don't claim to be an expert on how easy or difficult it is for Joe Schmoe to set up his own cable service provider; that is a separate issue.

Darrone said:   If anyone has a contract, this is a material change to that contract with AT&T and you can break the contract without any early termination fees (not sure if these apply to Uverse).

In a utopian world, you would be correct. I have a funny feeling that contract that nobody ever reads includes provisions allowing AT&T to do this with little to zero customer recourse. AT&T is not staffed by fools.

Can't wait till they take over TMobile!

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   Stunner2xx said:   "Even people saying they could go over the limit wouldn't be able to to do it consistently unless you keep downloading the same stuff over and over again.

I have THREE separate IPTV providers (actually only two now that IVI.tv was ruled illegal by the courts but I did have 3) that stream live TV plus I use a LOT of Internet.

I'm not watching the same program over and over again. I'm watching different programs everyday. You know they make more than one movie, game, TV show, etc., right? Once you download one movie you don't just have all the movies for life?

AT&T is the worst provider on the planet. Backwards, stone-age, old, corrupt, grandpa acting, caveman-like company. I think they should bring back quarter a minute long distance too. Or they could bring back the original AOL pricing model where they give us all 5 hours of Internet a month for $9.95 and after that we pay $4.80/hour for Internet. EVERYONE used to charge like this in the beginning for those of you who have been online for a while. THEN the Internet moved to unlimited pricing just like cell phones are doing. AT&T apparently wants to go back to metered. But that's why everyone is leaving AT&T.

Fizzter said:   ** EDIT: Wow, 15 REDS and not one person to give reasoning behind it? Only one response that is even remotely considered a retort, I guess, but it's completely off-topic with cable franchising. Oh well, I gave some further clarification a few posts down. It's a real shame that so many people think that the thousands of hard working employees that must make up this company exist solely to make your life worse.

People immediately cry foul at the limit, but AT&T doesn't do this for "greed". This country is far too quick to demonize business. They are doing it to improve overall service satisfaction.

"I totally agree with one of the above statements: Vote with your wallet. That's the great thing about America"....that exactly what happen when corporations outsource jobs to foreign countries.

ha.....for those defending att get the ...outta here....theyre not trying to improve service or any other cow doo doo...they are setting the ground work for the future ....98 percent may not use over 150 mb now, but the way the internet is changing in a few years we all might be using 150 mb or more...its only a matter of time and they are now prepared to milk us all....and if you dont like it dont buy it is a stupid comment......there are no options for most of us..if i dont like att than i have no internet...so much for free market, capitalist, competition etc....if this isnt slavery i dont know what is...lol

Skipping 13 Messages...
The thing I hate about this is that it hits hardest against those who are already paying the most. The faster (and more expensive) your service, the better the quality of your live video feeds and the more data you're going to use - thus, the faster you're going to hit the limit.

The caps should at least be tiered to reflect the tiered levels of service.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014