What's a good rate for floor tiling work?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm thinking of having work done on my house. Specifically, have all the floor in my house (except for the garage & 3 bedrooms) to some kind of tile (whether it is 12" x 12" or 18" x 18"). He roughly measured those areas to be 515 sq ft (rounded up of course).

He is charging me $1800 in labor which includes removing baseboards, carpet, padding, & linoleum removal. He will install the tiles and put in new baseboards, paint them. He's even going to put tile underneath the stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and toilet.

Is he giving me a good price? $1800 for 515 sq ft of tile work? This is his own company and he will have one guy helping him do the work.

He will require 1/2 payment up front and 1/2 when it is all done.

He says I will have to buy the tile, grout, inset, and baseboard. The last 3 items he says will cost about $150 while the 1st item is on sale for 85 cents / sq ft. I believe they were 12" x 12" tiles.

He might be a Mexican guy who just does handyman stuff for a living and might be undocumented. I don't know.

I've seen the work he did on his own house and the house of a friend of ours and it looks really good.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ablang said:   What's a good rate for floor tiling work?
When I get going, I can do about 3 TPM (tiles per minute) but you don't want to sacrifice quality for speed.

$3/sq-ft is a good rate for what your talking about, if it includes putting down back board, as well.

ETA: the guy that charge me that rate was setting 3"x6" subway tile, as well as 12"x12" sheets of 2" floor tile, though the only difference in rate he claims to charge are if you want granite or large marble tiles, both of which take forever to cut if you do it right.

You only have 515 sq ft of floorspace outside the bedrooms?

I can't tell if you think $1800 is too cheap or too expensive?

And how can he "maybe" be a Mexican? He either is or he isn't, and I'm not sure how that's relevant either way....

Sounds decent but as with any contractor work, it's impossible to answer "is this a good price" on the net.

Do the DD,

- get multiple quotes
- check refernces
- do rough estimate yourself, how much time x hourly rate
- interview the contactor, does it seems like they know what they are talking about
- check state site for license/bond/insurance

$1800 sounds like 3-4 days worth of work.

ablang said:   I'm thinking of having work done on my house. Specifically, have all the floor in my house (except for the garage & 3 bedrooms) to some kind of tile (whether it is 12" x 12" or 18" x 18"). He roughly measured those areas to be 515 sq ft (rounded up of course).

He is charging me $1800 in labor which includes removing baseboards, carpet, padding, & linoleum removal. He will install the tiles and put in new baseboards, paint them. He's even going to put tile underneath the stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and toilet.

Is he giving me a good price? $1800 for 515 sq ft of tile work? This is his own company and he will have one guy helping him do the work.

He will require 1/2 payment up front and 1/2 when it is all done.

He says I will have to buy the tile, grout, inset, and baseboard. The last 3 items he says will cost about $150 while the 1st item is on sale for 85 cents / sq ft. I believe they were 12" x 12" tiles.

He might be a Mexican guy who just does handyman stuff for a living and might be undocumented. I don't know.

I've seen the work he did on his own house and the house of a friend of ours and it looks really good.

Have you ever lay-down tiles?

I do tell you having done it myself that is pure hard work. On your knees, flexing your back and dealing with grout and cement stuff will brake any man's will. So I propose to you to lay a title or two and reverse the story to see how much would YOU charge someone to do what this individual is ready to do for you?

If he was German/British/Italian/Asian would you be asking the same question?

That is a good price if it includes laying down concrete backerboard or Ditra before laying down the tiles. If he's even considering laying the tiles down right over the subfloor or even worse on top of old flooring, don't hire him. For questions on tiling, the best resource I've found was the John Bridge Tile forums. I learned that there are a lot of WRONG ways to lay tile, and only a very few right ways. Lots of so-called "professionals" will do it the wrong way in order to come in with a low bid, but after 6 months all your grout will be cracking (if not the tiles themselves).

while i was building in my house, i found an average labor of $2/sqft was good + the cost of the tile. However, he seems to be doing a lot of extra work, your quote is about 3.50/sqft. it doesnt seem that bad considering all the extra he is doing.

do two things
get quotes from other contractors
ask if he would do a diagonal layout for the same price. It looks much nicer IMO.

Auream said:   That is a good price if it includes laying down concrete backerboard or Ditra before laying down the tiles. If he's even considering laying the tiles down right over the subfloor or even worse on top of old flooring, don't hire him. For questions on tiling, the best resource I've found was the John Bridge Tile forums. I learned that there are a lot of WRONG ways to lay tile, and only a very few right ways. Lots of so-called "professionals" will do it the wrong way in order to come in with a low bid, but after 6 months all your grout will be cracking (if not the tiles themselves).

OP could have a concrete slab foundation, hence backboard is not needed.

Where did you find him? How good is this mutual "friend?" Does he have any other references? Tile is a long-term commitment (difficult to replace), so my first concern would be quality of the work, not price.

At least in California, it is illegal to ask for 50% up front, I would be very reluctant to do so.

Where is the tile coming from? $0.85 per sq ft is a pretty good price, but quality of tile can vary greatly. Again, it is a very long term investment, so I would shop around for something you like. Larger tiles are much more fashionable these days, so you may want to learn towrd the 18" x 18".

My experience with cheap tile installers:
If you have backerboard installed as well then you MUST run the tile under the cabinets. There is a whole host of problems that occurs when you now have your cabinets 1/2 inch below your new floor level. Just think about your dishwasher.. It wont fit under the current counter top if you lose 1/2 of space, and if you dont install tile under the dishwasher you wont be able to get it out.

I had a guy put backerboard down and tile in my kitchen, when the dishwasher died i had to disassemble the dishwasher while it was still installed since it would no longer pull out. Then to get the new one in had to repeat the same fun..

Also, ask how they will go from tile to carpet. Especially if backerboard is needed. The 1/2 step down from a tiled floor to a less thick flooring is very ugly. To do this correctly you would install particle board under the carpet to get the same finished floor thickness.

shank said:   At least in California, it is illegal to ask for 50% up front, I would be very reluctant to do so.Have agree with shank, 50% up front when he is not providing any material or has any out of pocket expensis is silly (at best). What is the 50% covering? His cost to drive there the first day?

To add to others comment about the appliances, make sure they all have height adjustments and enough play so they will still fit and look correct after the tile is added.

Hey guys.

This is all going on top of concrete slab. He mentions his cost includes removing all carpet and padding, scraping the slab floor, tiling underneath kitchen appliances and toilet, removing baseboards, installing new ones w/ paint.

I wanted to mention I found an interesting website --
Cost to Install Ceramic Floor Tile - Project Cost Calculator

http://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_install_ceramic_floor_t...

Doing my zip code w/ the 515sf gives a low-high value of between $3.56-$4.75/sf. This falls in line w/ his $3.50/sf quote he gave me, even though he measured spaces rounding up to the nearest 1/2 foot so he'll probably end up doing less than 515sf in the end.

DELETE

At the same site I found another calculator. Perhaps this one will make you more happy as the costs seem more realistic and priced according to licensed contractors.

Cost of Ceramic Tile Flooring
Material pricing and labor cost calculator
http://www.homewyse.com/costs/cost_of_ceramic_tile_flooring.html

Ceramic Tile Flooring Average Cost per square foot $6.48 $9.84 $13.49

The prices listed are for basic, better, then best.

On another note, I decided to look up his contractor license in CA, where he lives & works. He advertises in our church bulletin (http://parishbulletin.com/Bulletins/23028/bulletin_03202011.pdf) that his license # is 122087. Yet when I search the Contractors State License Board https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLice... I can't find him by license # or name. Weird.

I just agreed to pay $3751 for 414 square feet. This includes 18 x 18 porcelain unglazed tile for kitchen & sunroom. They will pull up carpet, existing tile, lay backer board, move refrigerator and stove and island. They will tile 6" under diswasher and cabinets by removing faceplates. Dishwasher has adjustable legs so it should come out without problem. I had two estimates. The other was 50% more. I negotiated this down 25%. Virginia Beach

Home Depot charges $3 per foot to tear out tile and $2.59 per foot to install, get a quote from a big box store and or tile store

Squeezer99 said:   Auream said:   That is a good price if it includes laying down concrete backerboard or Ditra before laying down the tiles. If he's even considering laying the tiles down right over the subfloor or even worse on top of old flooring, don't hire him. For questions on tiling, the best resource I've found was the John Bridge Tile forums. I learned that there are a lot of WRONG ways to lay tile, and only a very few right ways. Lots of so-called "professionals" will do it the wrong way in order to come in with a low bid, but after 6 months all your grout will be cracking (if not the tiles themselves).

OP could have a concrete slab foundation, hence backboard is not needed.

But then crack Suppression should be used.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014