Walmart.com return beware

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Be very careful when you buy any computer related stuff from WalMart.com. These guys have problem differentiating computer/computer hardware and computer accessory. I bought a laptop bag and a screen protector from them. These are computer accessories and clearly not computer (desktop PC, laptop, etc.) or computer hardware (memory chip, etc.). So the 90 day general merchandise return policy should apply. However, when I tried to return them at B&M, they insisted these items are computer hardware and therefore the 15 day return policy applies and denied my return. What BS. I'm putting these charges in dispute with my CC.

"Return an Item That Was Sold and Shipped by WalMart.com. All merchandise sold and shipped by WalMart.com may be returned either to a store or by mail within 90 days of receiving it, unless otherwise noted below.

ELECTRONICS
Computers & Computer Hardware: Must be returned within 15 days of receipt.
Computer software: Must be returned unopened."

Walmart.com return policy

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

WalMart.com shipped a defective item to me (40# weights), but local B&M WalMart did not refund me $.97 shipping cost and asked me to contact WalMart.com to get $.97 back. Yeah right!

I wanted to save them money on return shipment and yet in return I lost $.97 + time + gas (and no apology for sending me a defective product).

Also file a complaint with your state attorney general, especailly if you can do it online.

Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

yeah sounds like you just got unlucky with incompetent staff at the returns desk

DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.Or go to the same WalMart and return it later/earlier in the day.

Or write down the name of the area manager (posted on the wall behind the customer service desk) and call it (leave a message, they will call you back.) Or call the customer service line - 1-800-925-6278. I've had luck with all of these approaches.

WalMart has some make-you-crazy policies, but they are pretty responsive when you ask them to follow their OWN policies.

I agree with the person above. I would personally ask politely if we could have a manager validate this decision, as you believe it is incorrect..etc. If even their manager denies you, try a different WalMart. If that fails, contact the area manager.

And yes, that is BS.

cabby said:   DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

yeah sounds like you just got unlucky with incompetent staff at the returns desk

Are you saying there are times that WalMart has competent staff?

Love8008s said:   cabby said:   DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

Very funny. Made me think. Actually in my experience the competent staff can be the worst to deal with. It's the people who don't give a ____ that make things run smoothly.

StartByServingOthers said:   Love8008s said:   cabby said:   DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

Very funny. Made me think. Actually in my experience the competent staff can be the worst to deal with. It's the people who don't give a ____ that make things run smoothly.

LOL.

StartByServingOthers said:   Love8008s said:   cabby said:   DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

Very True

i have returned a few computer accesories to them and never had a problem- just try again. Just because you drove to mcdonalds and they were out of fries doesnt mean they are all out of fries.

I found that the employees in the WalMart store probably can't find much better work. If you have a problem with a WalMart.com order, call WalMart.com. They will pay the return shipping and they are much more likely to provide customer service instead of a minimum wage nightmare.

DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

It was in the system. The CSR even showed me his screen that said no return.

take it without the receipt to a different store. get in store credit.. when they ask u about the date of purchase, say, i guess it's 2 weeks almost..this should work..

LongDongSilver said:   DaCheeze said:   Just go to another WalMart.. and return it there.

It was in the system. The CSR even showed me his screen that said no return.

When I worked at Kohls which admittedly is quite different there were certain things I could not override and neither could a manager. Generally we would try to make it up to them somehow (offer a store credit for an increased amount, discounts on something they were buying etc), but one thing we couldn't do was a return to refund a CC if the computer rejected it. In those cases we were pretty out of luck. You also could not give the person cash (though i did see a manager do it, but they had to jump through a ton of hoops, multiple calls to corporate etc. to do it... it was not a simple matter). These companies control that stuff like crazy since it could be abused to steal.

I suspect you have run into something that the system will not accept and it is probably difficult to impossible for even a manager to override this even though they likely agree with you that it is stupid and you should be able to get it back. I would recommend calling the customer support line. Your far more likely to get someone there who can say this is stupid and have the ability to override it/make it right.

If you go to WalMart.com, you find that both the laptop bag and a screen protector are listed under Computers/Accessories-Peripherals/Cases-Bags and Computers/Computer-Accessories/Monitor-Screen-Accessories/, respectively. Because they are listed under Computers they fall under 15 Day return policy, which is stupid. Take them to another WalMart. Personnel might be a little smarter but may be bound under what category they are under online????

Return them without a receipt.
They will ask when you bought them...tell them last week.
They will refund a store credit.

raster1944 said:   If you go to WalMart.com, you find that both the laptop bag and a screen protector are listed under Computers/Accessories-Peripherals/Cases-Bags and Computers/Computer-Accessories/Monitor-Screen-Accessories/, respectively. Because they are listed under Computers they fall under 15 Day return policy, which is stupid. Take them to another WalMart. Personnel might be a little smarter but may be bound under what category they are under online????

Computer would not accept the return. Employees most likely cannot override that at least not to give cash/refund credit card.

WalMart will take them back for store credit if you say you have no reciept.

Also it sounds like they are technically listed under the computer section. WalMart is within their policies to refuse the return though I would imagine if they could the employee would have refunded you it since its a pretty stupid rule. But as I say the employee literally cannot do it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.