Amazon warehouse deals - anything to beware?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm looking at a $975 Dell laptop they sell for $545 in their "warehouse" - supposedly open box returns, "like new".

I can get a one-year SquareTrade warranty with it for $45.

Run away or go for it?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'd gowith Dell directly for refurbs..

hi usually a warehouse deal is an item that was being sold by a 3rd party seller that was fulfilled by Amazon and Amazon thinks they damaged the packaging so they refund the seller the full price and sell it under like new. no guarantee but I think just box a little dent.

Rambler said:   I'm looking at a $975 Dell laptop they sell for $545 in their "warehouse" - supposedly open box returns, "like new".

I can get a one-year SquareTrade warranty with it for $45.

Run away or go for it?

I would go direct with Dell, unless its a real big savings.

If you go with a refurb Dell unit and its bad, they will send you another. If its bad from Amazon warehouse, you get to send it back, but they wont neccesarily replace it.

SteveG

I've had great success with Amazon's warehouse deals (in the last month, I've bought several cast iron cookware pieces, a 1911 galco holster, a knife, and a flashlight, and a few other items). They've all been in pretty much new condition. I've had 0 issues so far.

nutcase said:   hi usually a warehouse deal is an item that was being sold by a 3rd party seller that was fulfilled by Amazon and Amazon thinks they damaged the packaging so they refund the seller the full price and sell it under like new. no guarantee but I think just box a little dent.

Not true:

Warehouse Deals
Many of our offers are Prime eligible and all of our products are backed by Amazon's satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return the item based on Amazon's return policy. We'll also pay the return shipping cost if the return is a result of our error. Warehouse Deals has been in operation since 2004 with a five star customer rating.

I have purchased several warehouse deals from Amazon and they have all looked brand new. Just the original cartons were ripped and taped. Never bought a laptop though.

sykosoft said:   I've had great success with Amazon's warehouse deals (in the last month, I've bought several cast iron cookware pieces, a 1911 galco holster, a knife, and a flashlight, and a few other items). They've all been in pretty much new condition. I've had 0 issues so far.

I would venture to say the likelyhood of a problem with a cast iron skillet or a knife versus a computer is a pretty huge freaking gap and they're hardly comparable.

I purchased a boxed software product from the Warehouse. However when I tried to activate it, the manufacturer indicated the key was already used, plus the add-on that came packaged with the software (was a bundle) was missing its key entirely. Amazon took care of it but refunding me the cost from AmazonWarehouse, paying return shipiing, giving me a $20 giftcard for the trouble, and overnighting a new copy of the software. While the lady was processing this, she mentioned it happens occasionally and they go after the person who returned the product previously somehow...not sure how though.

Bought many electronic items form Amazon Warehouse deals and have never had an issue. Plus Amazon customer service is really good so I don;t worry too much about my purchases from the warehouse deals.

DutchessPDX said:   I would venture to say the likelyhood of a problem with a cast iron skillet or a knife versus a computer is a pretty huge freaking gap and they're hardly comparable.

I was using it as a simple example. I've bought MANY items from them, including food and electronics, never an issue. I was simply stating my last 30 days worth of purchases.

Michael

I have bought things from warehouse deals that are blatantly fake. Someone buys the real thing from Amazon, swaps stickers and tags as necessary and returns them. You can still return it, of course, but be very very careful with electronics.

skarydrunkguy said:   I have bought things from warehouse deals that are blatantly fake. Someone buys the real thing from Amazon, swaps stickers and tags as necessary and returns them. You can still return it, of course, but be very very careful with electronics.

Story unrelated to Amazon Warehouse:

I bought some paint at Rickels (old home repair store...yeah, it was a while ago)and bought two gallons too much, so I went to return the extra unopened gallons. They were standard off the shelf colors.

At the return counter, despite my arguments, they insisted on opening the sealed paint to check it. They said they had a lot of people who bought paint, used it, then refilled the gallons with water and returned them.

Unbelievable!

SteveG

PS -by opening them, they effectively ruined them anyway.

I just had to return one item from a warehouse deal - it came to me repackaged as a completely broken item. They do not inspect what they send out - just rewrap customer returns without regard.

Often the price on wd is not much less and occasionally more than Amazon.com's brand new price.

Had good luck with guitars purchased Used-good as new. I've bought 3 so far and they're exactly as advertised. The boxes though were banged up, guitars inside were like new.Last one got a little damaged during shipping. Box did not have the foam in it so the pickup switch snapped off. (can be replaced for $5 or less)- Amazon gave me $18 credit on it so all is fine. Had more damage on New guitars bought actually, chipped headstocks primarily.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014