Home Depot Price Match NOT Guaranteed

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
First let me start with a good deal on a LG High Efficiency Top Load Washer on sale this week at Best Buy for $649 (originally $899). If you are looking for a new washer, read the reviews anywhere about this machine.

Here is my saga with Home Depot. I originally purchased this machine at Home Depot's website last week but it wasn't suppose to be deliveried for another week. I got it on sale for $809 plus I got 6% Fat Cash ($48).

When I saw the ad for Best Buy, I called Home Depot and asked for a price match plus 10%. The Customer Service Rep checked with her manager and she said even though we offer price match plus 10%, we can not offer it and we can only go down to $710. I told her to cancel the order and I ordered from Best Buy.

Here is a copy of Home Depots guarantee.

NOBODY BEATS OUR PRICES
If any competitor tries, we'll beat their price by 10%. Guaranteed.*
*If you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any retailer, we will match the price and beat it by 10%. Excludes special orders, bid pricing, volume discounts, open-box merchandise, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors and online purchases.

How can they refuse to do a price match?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I went to The Home Depot in Riverhead, Best buy had that washer for $649 and Home Depot had the same LG top loader for $... (more)

migskids (Nov. 19, 2011 @ 10:58p) |

Migskids, I don't understand. If Home Depot and Best Buy had the same price of $649, why would you expect the 10% redu... (more)

mcpagano (Dec. 03, 2011 @ 7:15a) |

I was just reading this board looking to see if Home Depot locally had a price protection if a product went on sale with... (more)

spotscrazy (Dec. 29, 2011 @ 12:10a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You bought it online right?

Yes, I bought it online

From the terms:

"Excludes... online purchases."

That is exactly why they do not have to offer it, they say they will not in the disclaimer. Looks pretty straight forward to me.

I think that means you can't try to price match from online vendors. This was a price match to Best Buy B&M. The customer service rep admitted that it was eligible for a price match but her supervisor wouldn't go that low.

It does seem that they are referring to competitors' online pricing being excluded, but I guess they could interpret it either way. I would escalate the issue, if it's worth the effort - at least until they explain why it's eligible, but they won't give it to you...

Hi mcpagano -

I am the Manager of the HomeDepot.com Major Appliance Customer Care Team. I would like the opportunity to address any concerns regarding your experience. Would you be willing to provide me with your contact information so that I can follow up with you directly?

Thank you,
Julie Piper

Julie,

I sent you a PM

mcpagano said:   Julie,

I sent you a PM

I wouldn't be so quick to divulge your personal information to him

Thanks for the warning. I just give her my email address and order number.

I thought that they would match "everyday" prices...not sale prices?

so fire them

the next 50 times you need something, drive to Lowes, or Ace Hardware and don't darken their doors again. the money they would have given you in a price match would be easily repaid in the many profitable purchases you would have made from them over the next year.

that bag of charcoal..... 5 bucks profit.
that weber grill 100 bucks profit.
the maglight flashlight 6 bucks profit.

their loss.

fire them

I never find good stuff at Home Depot. Menards gets all my business for house and yard stuff.

My Lowes seem to be more Price Match friendly than my local HD. One time, I returned some light bulbs to the CSR and told her the reason for the return was that the price was cheaper online and there was no taxes. She told me that they were willing to pricematch to an amount that included taxes and still beat the online price by 10%. I'm pretty sure my HD doesn't do that. However, things at Lowes tend to generally cost more too.

Update

I got a call from Julie from Home Depot. She listened to my actual call to the service rep. She explained as some previous posters pointed out that online sales are "not" included in the price match policy. Home Depot's online dept has discretion to price match or not. The reason being that some online sites aren't so reputable. I did explain that I was matching to a Best Buy B&M and The Home Depot online price was the same price at their B&M store.

She agreed that the policy needed to be more specific and that it was being reviewed.

She did offer to price match but since I already cancelled I really didn't want to go through that again. So she offered to send me a token gift card for my trouble.

I appreciate the call from Home Depot and I am satisfied how it was handled. Thank you Julie.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address the situation. We value each and every cusotmer interaction and strive to always deliver a positive experience.

JuliePiper said:   Hi mcpagano -

I am the Manager of the HomeDepot.com Major Appliance Customer Care Team. I would like the opportunity to address any concerns regarding your experience. Would you be willing to provide me with your contact information so that I can follow up with you directly?

Thank you,
Julie Piper

wow.. i'm impressed with the customer service! browsing around FW to help customers!

Looks like a great manager on FW. From my experience, a few Staples managers on FW have tried to screw me on a couple of deals.....

maybe Julie is a FWer in another incarnation?

i had this happen at best buy before, i spoke to a supervisor and a manager and was denied the price match. They told me "you might as well buy it there if they are selling it for that price".. it was on a samsung tv lol.

DenverDiver said:   mcpagano said:   Julie,

I sent you a PM

I wouldn't be so quick to divulge your personal information to him

Well said, shes a new member. Try going to the store in person. You wont get the FW CashBack but your getting 10% off BB price

FYI, Home Depot dropped their price down to $649 (probably to save themselves the 10% difference)

I'm just curious... why didn't you cancel your order, then go into a B&M Home Depot to get the PM + 10%? Maybe it's just me but I probably would've done that. If you were concerned with getting 6% Cash Back b/c you did it online; I'm sure the FW'er that you are would've used your 5% Cash Back CC at your local grocery to buy Home Depot gift cards.

bargainhunter3 said:   I'm just curious... why didn't you cancel your order, then go into a B&M Home Depot to get the PM + 10%? Maybe it's just me but I probably would've done that. If you were concerned with getting 6% Cash Back b/c you did it online; I'm sure the FW'er that you are would've used your 5% Cash Back CC at your local grocery to buy Home Depot gift cards.

If they refuse to do the price match you're stuck with $500 worth of gift cards. At least for those of use that don't purchase a lot there.

Luckily those of us still in the first 6 months of Chase AARP don't have to consider that, and can just buy it straight up regardless of the source.

I didn't go to Home Depot because I assumed I could do it over the phone and they didn't tell me "why" it wasn't matched. I thought their answer was the "official" answer. I was actually in a Home Depot when I called (Best Buy was next door). Knowing what I know now, I would have done that.

If you think about it, that is why Home Depot needs to change their policy becaue it causing themselves more work.

Good but not best idea. This also cancells the extended warranty and theft protection that comes with buying with the card. I do not prefer the method unless buying consumables. Besides as someone pointed out, gift cards do not have theft protection etc built in and if purchase does not happen then you are left with cards.

bargainhunter3 said:   I'm just curious... why didn't you cancel your order, then go into a B&M Home Depot to get the PM + 10%? Maybe it's just me but I probably would've done that. If you were concerned with getting 6% Cash Back b/c you did it online; I'm sure the FW'er that you are would've used your 5% Cash Back CC at your local grocery to buy Home Depot gift cards.

well props to HD!

I too am impressed by the responsiveness of HD. A friend of mine works for Dell and was telling me about new software he is writing to troll the web looking for CE issues with Dell purchases. I thought this was new but it looks like HD is ahead of the curve on this. WTG HD!

Zuke76 said:   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Julie/Piper

http://www.linkedin.com/in/juliespiper

Current
•Co-Owner at Ascension Windshield Company, LLC
•Contact Center Manager - HomeDepot.com at Home Depot

++ cute

She's definitely cute, hope that it's her recent photo. Stop posting her social networking profiles here. You guys will creep her out and she will be less willing to help next time.

tzeric said:   Zuke76 said:   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Julie/Piper

Current

++ cute

mcpagano said:   FYI, Home Depot dropped their price down to $649 (probably to save themselves the 10% difference)

Price is still $899.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Laundry-Clothing-Care-Washer...

Cisco has an addon to their contact center enterprise product called Social Miner that does this and queues it up to CSRs just like voice calls.

Well done Home Depot.

* this was a reply to Mikeydread, but the quote didnt work.

TheDealMaker said:   She's definitely cute, hope that it's her recent photo. Stop posting her social networking profiles here. You guys will creep her out and she will be less willing to help next time.

tzeric said:   Zuke76 said:   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Julie/Piper

Current

++ cute

Just pointing out that she looks legit or at least knows how to setup a fake or steal a linkedin page. If this creeps her out then she shouldn't have her photo on a public page.

Had a similar problem today with the HD Price Match. Was trying to buy an LG washer and dryer. Had found a good price at Pacific Sales and they had the units in stock. HD was able to verify the Pacific Sales price. HD even had the 8.5 X 11 poster right above the washer and dryer stating that they would price match plus 10% on any in stock item. The problem came when I asked for the price match. Their response was that the washer and dryer (in fact almost all their appliances) are not "in stock". They come from a local HD warehouse.

On this basis, would not give the extra 10%. They did agree to price match. I can't believe they would post all the "flyers" advertising the 10% in the appliance department knowing full well that they would not honor the 10% because they did not have the appliances "in stock". Needless to say, I walked out and am buying at Pacific Sales. Have also sent a complaint to the HD Customer Care center. Will be interesting to see if they respond.

Received a stock reply from Home Depot customer service today. Did not address the fact that they had the 10% sign right above the LG washer and dryer. Sent back an e-mail summarizing my concerns:

1. The lower price was found at Pacific Sales, less than 3-4 miles from the local Home Depot. It is a full "retail" store providing full services (no membership is required). The price was not for a closeout, open box, clearance or any other "special" price. No one disputed that Pacific Sales was not a legitimate, local competitor.
2. The LG washer and dryer at HD was ON DISPLAY just like all other appliances at HD. It was not noted as a special order or anything other than a normal appliance that is normally carried at HD.
3. No one disagreed that the item at Pacific Sales and HD were the exact same model and part number.

The reason HD would not provide the 10% was because the item was not "in stock", meaning that the stock was not physically in the store - it was in the local HD warehouse. If this was the real intent of the HD advertisement, why would HD have large signs promoting the 10% right over the appliances - none of which they carried "in stock". In this case, the 10% sign was right over the LG washer and dryer (within inches).

Based on the above, I fully believe I was entitled to the additional 10% discount.

It appears that HD will NEVER honor a 10% discount on appliances since they are never "in stock". This being the case, it appears that HD is participating in false or, as a minimum, misleading advertising in having the 10% off signs right over the home appliances.

Signed Miata2022

Bottom line was that it is up to the local Home Depot manager IF he wants to comply and give the price match plus 10%. Had to go back to Home Depot today for a couple of other items and noticed that they had REMOVED all the price match signs. Amazing that last night they thought the signs were proper and yet today they were all removed. Does that tell you anything?????? Also sent a PM to Julie Piper. Again, it will be interesting to see if they give any further response or if Julie gets involved.

Update 8/27 - no response yet from Home Depot or Julie. Did get a survey relative to my contact with the customer center. Filed a complaint with the BBB regarding false and misleading advertising.

Update 8/31

Received call from Home Depot as a result of my BBB complaint. They refuse to honor the price match because almost all, including the LG washer and dryer, are "special order" and excluded from the price match. They are ignoring the fact that the price match sign was within inches of the LG washer and dryer signs. Also they are ignoring the fact that one of The Home Depot price match web pages shows a very large refrigerator that is a special order item.

Home Depot Price Match

Thank you for keeping this thread up-to-date. I find this behavior pretty outrageous.

Unless your issue is remedied in a positive way, I certainly won't be purchasing large appliances from them.

Skipping 16 Messages...
I was just reading this board looking to see if Home Depot locally had a price protection if a product went on sale within so many days and just have to say that my experiences over the past many years is that Home Depot has the best customer service and clerks in our town, Spokane, Wa. I never ever go to Lowes as they are either rude, hard to find or just not that interested in helping answer questions. Our Home Depot's hire older,more mature and informative people who have actually done home improvement projects. They are easy to find, friendly and more than willing to walk you right to a product instead of just pointing a finger in the general direction like they do at Lowe's. We drive several miles right past Lowe's to get to Home Depot every time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014