• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just bought a Minn Kota Riptide 45lb Thrust Motor and need a reliable battery at a good price.A charger too if anyone knows the deal with those also.Heard Costco Kirkland is pretty good,WalMart is ok.Anyone have experience with which one is the best for the money,I know Optima is good but I can't afford that.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I bought a deep cycle marine battery a couple months ago and thought that Sam's Club had the best value. Sam's sells Duracell auto batteries which are made in the U.S. by East Penn Manufacturing (makers of Deka batteries). Sam's also carries the Optima Marine, but I decided it wasn't worth the extra money and that these are no better or perhaps marginally battery than other high quality marine batteries and certainly not worth twice the price.

Durcall marine battery:
http://www.driveduracell.com/default.aspx?pageid=9

Press release on East-Penn/Duracell partnership:
http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=1491

I like the Sears die hard Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM). Its similar technology to the Optima.

Ideal for trolling motors because its deep cycle and the AGM cannot spill/holds its charge for long periods of non-use.

Good Luck!
SteveG

PS - They also have an AGM auto battery, so dont get confused.

Die Hard Platinum from Sears. I did extensive research before buying the auto version for my car. It's the exact same battery as Odessey has (re-badged) but cheaper. This battery is better than an Optima from what I've researched.

If you have an Interstate dealer/distributor nearby, call them and ask about "blems." Since you don't care about particular size, just capacity, tell them that.

I bought 2 deep cycle batteries from them last year, they were $35 each for 75 Ah batteries. The $35 is flat fee for whatever battery you get, if they have 125 Ah battery, it is still going to be $35.

what does "blems" mean?

biomedica said:   what does "blems" mean?

Blemished, usually cosmetic issue with plastic housing. Non-issue for almost all applications.

For the money, the Costco batteries are pretty good. If you don't need top of the line preformance (which will cost you 2-3x more) they will serve you well.

FYI, as an owner of an Optima car battery, let me say I'm very unimpressed with it. Mine died on me after only 9 months of normal use. Doing some web searches turns up results that this isn't uncommon. Don't waste the extra money. Unless your application requires you to mount the battery on its side (which Optima AGM batteries can do) I see no benefit and only extra costs.

How much battery would the Riptide 45 need? I just bought one and Minnkota's handbook says that ideally the battery should be a 115 ah device. Batteries with that much amperage (at least in the low maintenance variety, which I prefer) weigh 70, 75 pounds, very hard for me to move around. The Sears platinum m2 weighs 53 pounds, more like it, but is only 68 ah in rating. This motor is intended to push a 9 foot plastic tender around. Do I really need a moose of a battery to do that?

Best, Richard

rfmoo said:   How much battery would the Riptide 45 need? I just bought one and Minnkota's handbook says that ideally the battery should be a 115 ah device. Batteries with that much amperage (at least in the low maintenance variety, which I prefer) weigh 70, 75 pounds, very hard for me to move around. The Sears platinum m2 weighs 53 pounds, more like it, but is only 68 ah in rating. This motor is intended to push a 9 foot plastic tender around. Do I really need a moose of a battery to do that?Amperage (related to power) or amp*hourage (related to energy? You need a battery rated for enough amps, but you should be able to get by with a lower amp*hour rating if you don't run the motor as long.

Low maintenance batteries probably withstand deep discharge better than no-maintenance batteries do. I don't think anybody makes regular maintenance batteries any more.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014