Classmates.com Class Action Settlement, ~$10

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I recently received an email notifying me that I am eligible for a small chunk of settlement money from a classmates.com class action suit...essentially the settlement amount ($2.5M) is divided by the number of claimants. What happened was classmates.com sent notifications lying about people searching for you to get subscribers. Supposedly, eligible class members will be sent an email. The email looked pretty generic with only "notice" in the subject line, so be on the lookout for an email if you were a classmates subscriber. There were plenty of FW members who subscribed for free or close to free through HD who are probably eligible.

Blog detailing settlement

3. WHO DOES THE SETTLEMENT COVER?

As explained above, this Settlement is offered to a Settlement Class that includes:

All Persons residing in the United States who were registered with or subscribed to www.classmates.com at any time beginning on October 30, 2004 through February 23, 2011.

If you have questions about whether you were correctly identified as a Settlement Class member, please contact the Settlement Administrator at the address in Section 5 below.

4. WHAT WILL THE SETTLEMENT GIVE ME?

Each Settlement Class member who submits a valid Claim Form will receive a cash award (payable via PayPal or via physical check). The amount of the cash award cannot be determined in advance, but is estimated to be $10 for each Settlement Class member.

The cash award will be determined by dividing the $2.5 million that Classmates has agreed to pay by the number of Settlement Class members who submit valid Claim Forms. For example, if 250,000 class members submit valid Claim Forms, each will receive $10. As another example, if 500,000 class members submit valid Claim Forms, each will receive $5. There are as many as 60 million Settlement Class members. Based on the participation rates in the Prior Settlement, it is estimated that each participating Settlement Class member will receive about $10. This is only an estimate, no one knows in advance how much this settlement will pay each claimant, and no one will know until the deadline for submitting claims passes.

In addition to the cash award, the Settlement will require Classmates to change certain business practices for two years. Among other things, Classmates will no longer use the term “guestbook” as a stand-alone term in the subject line of the emails it sends to its subscribers, but will instead call it “Classmates® Guestbook”. The “Classmates® Guestbook” feature will be described in the footer of those emails as follows:

WHAT IS CLASSMATES® GUESTBOOK?: When most Classmates members visit your profile, their names will automatically be listed in your Classmates® Guestbook. Any member can leave their name in any other member’s Classmates® Guestbook simply by visiting that member’s profile, so you might not know everyone who signed yours. For more information, see our Classmates® Guestbook Help Article.

A complete description of the business practices that Classmates has agreed to change is at the Settlement Website (www.cmemailsettlement.com).

5. HOW DO I GET THE CASH AWARD?

To receive a cash award, you must submit a valid Claim Form no later than November 18, 2011. You may submit a Claim Form online. To access the Claim Form, click this link or go to https://cert.gardencitygroup.com/clm/fs/claim and input this Claim number and this Control number:

Member Summary
If you think you are eligible, but didn't get an email:

Settlement website

How Do You Ask For A Payment?
On or before October 18, 2011, Settlement Class members should have received a notification email containing a link to the Claim Form. If you believe you are a member of the Settlement Class and you did not receive a notification email by October 18, 2011, please email the Settlement Administrator at claimforms@cmemailsettlement.com

RedCelicaGT said:   .... What happened was classmates.com sent notifications lying about people searching for you to get subscribers.....

They still do. Constantly. To every single one of my dozen or so email accounts.

skarydrunkguy said:   RedCelicaGT said:   .... What happened was classmates.com sent notifications lying about people searching for you to get subscribers.....

They still do. Constantly. To every single one of my dozen or so email accounts.

My spam filter must be catching all of them. Anyway, I think they are renaming the alerts (lies) to make them slightly less misleading.

Thanks OP. I manually signed up today. I remember getting the solicitations non-stop... by now, my spam filters stop 'em. But for a good year they were coming non-stop. Aggravating!

What I hate about class action is that it does not benefit anyone. Time spent filling out the forms will take more time than I am willing to earn $10 (or $5). I think 30% of people, at least, will feel the same way. If it would be $100 a person, it would be different. First, it would punish the company more and would set an example for others, plus, it would be a meaningful compensation. $10 is nothing in comparison the amount of work you have to do to receive $10...

I have received probably 5-7 class action notices in my life which I could have jumped on. The most, I remember, was like $18. I skipped on every opportunity just because I felt that compensation was not worth it.

Class action only benefits the lawyers. They settle out, the company pays the least, lawyers get like 20%, everyone else gets peanuts (the people who actually were wronged). Thus, these class action suits never reach the jury decision because the company knows it will pay less by settling and lawyers are not against because they will not have to spend time in court and they get to keep a big chunk of the settlement. It is win-win except for us.

I am more than sure that classmates have earned more through their spam and deceit than what they will pay out for this class action. They still made money and "got away" with it. Enjoy your five to ten dollars, you just have been had by 2 entities who actually made out like the bandits.

If you remember, the classmates email stated that YOUR classmates are trying to connect to YOU personally. A lot of people actually believed that their classmate is searching for them, but it was just a spam form that everyone got. So, some were duped into signing a $39 a year membership to reach out to the person who seems like is looking for them. Many have been even charged a fee for multiple years... Now, all you get is $10. Wow. Talk about the punishment. Classmates must be really hurting.

$10 is not worth 5 minutes? I completely agree with your point that this isn't a huge punishment for classmates' wrongdoing, but this is easy money.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014