• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This is not a coupon and requires good old fashioned negotiating skills and let me stress that your mileage may vary depending of the CR you talk to. Let me explain my situation first. I have been with DirecTV for about 2 1/2 years and am out of contract. I have 4 receivers in total, one is a DVR. I have the Choice Xtra+ DVR package. My bill had slowly crept up to about $92 a month and so had my AT&T landline phone bill. It had gone from $29 not so long ago to $40 now. So I thought about getting the TV/Internet/phone bundle from Cox which already provided my internet to save money.

I called up DirecTV to cancel services and explained my reason. I tried to play dumb and see what they would offer me before I asked for anything specific. Out of the blue they offered me free HD, Free DVR services, and a few more discounts including auto bill pay which I was supposed to be getting already, and they also threw in an additional free DVR receiver. My total bill will go from $92 a month back down to $70 after tax. I think that is a pretty good deal in line with their new customer offers and possibly better. They did make me sign a new 2 year agreement though so that was the catch for getting an additional DVR. But I could have got the $70 offer even without signing a new contract.

So for anyone who is out of contract with DirecTV and trying to see the best deal you can get from them, I hope my story helps you out with your negotiations. At that price it brought it down to what Cox cable would charge me even with the bundle pricing. I still ditched AT&T and got the Cox telephone for $16 a month. What is AT&T thinking with those prices?

My advice would be to call DirecTV up and say you are going to cancel services. I am sure some people here can even get a far better deal than I was able to negotiate. My friend also called in and they offered him a similar deal. He had 2 receivers but no DVR and in the past they had refused to upgrade his account. Now they gave him a DVR and he will pay $12 less a month. Good luck!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Be careful with DirecTV. They can play some nasty games with your account and after being a paying customer for 5 years, have no flexibility! Long story, but I try to stay far away from this company and recommend others do as well!

The key to negotiating with them is if you are out of contract. I agree they can be sneaky. Just make sure you have them note your account with the specific details and then call again the next day and verify it.

Even though EZWRIGHTER got a Red (Which i fixed) Direct TV can do nasty things like resigning you up for a contract.
Be careful when negotiating this deal.

forbin4040 said:   Even though EZWRIGHTER got a Red (Which i fixed) Direct TV can do nasty things like resigning you up for a contract.
Be careful when negotiating this deal.

I agree 100%. DirecTV, cell phone companies, they are all pretty sneaky. However, had I not wanted the additional DVR they explained my discounted monthly bill would not require a new contract so I did want to make that perfectly clear. I agreed to the new 2 year contract only because I wanted an additional DVR. Without the DVR I did not have to renew and I did call again to verify the notes. But you are right to give warning. Cover all bases and even record the call if you can.

Warning heard. However, all provider sucks. Currently on ComCrap and looking for a deal that's equal to 1 x HDDVR with Extended Basic programming, any advice?

what about switching between cable and Sat every other year?

i have D* for TV, comcrap for HSI and Vonage.

Just renewed D* for two years - got $10 off a month for 24 months, 3 months HBO, free HDDVR and whole home setup - existing HDDVR can talk to the new one - can play shows from either one on either TV.

I had also talked to comcrap asking for double play, but ended up with 6 months HSI for $20 a month (I was on a $29.99 plan that had just increased to $33 for no reason). After adding a couple of HD DVRs it was almost the same as I was paying for D*. I'll just keep on renewing every 3 months.

And Vonage, I'm still on the unlimited for life at $14.95 plan from a few years ago.

Oh - I could get Fios but some of the programming I want is not available thru them. However D* said I can get Fios HSI for $40 a month - so if comcrap decides not to renew me in 6 months, I'll jump ship (note that I still have to pay $15 for limited basic - which does come handy during heavy rain).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014