Beware - CenturyLink 5 Years $19.95 DSL Deal

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
BEWARE OF THIS DEAL.... YMMV by state.

5 Years guaranteed $19.95 price for 7Mbps DSL .. Requires bundle with phone service.
Linky

BEWARE.. CenturyLink DSL is terribly unstable.. and they have totally oversold their backbone bandwidth.

I have "10 Mbps" DSL with them in Minnesota and my download speed varies between 1-7 Mbps... I never get 10 Mbps!

Even when I am getting 6-7 Mbps, for Netflix I can not maintain a HD stream... for YouTube I can rarely watch 480p without buffering lags. Their backbone is broke!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I had them recently and was perfectly happy with their speeds (I was on a 50 Mbps plan).

They do seem to have a lower-than-expected throughput to Netflix; I'd recommend pausing it a few seconds and usually I wouldn't have any problems. Youtube would typically stream okay for me. I think you're unlikely to get a full 10 Mbps per connection, but you could probably pull the full 10 Mbps across a few concurrent connections.

Netflix HD requires about 3.8 Mbps.

Very True. I Am On The 1.5mb Plan In SW Florida, And The Speed Is Rarely At 1.5 Like It Used To Be. Most Of The Time My Speed Is At 756kb! It's Terrible. Anyone Know What I Can Do To Have This Issue Corrected, I Cannot Work From Home!

alamo11 said:   Very True. I Am On The 1.5mb Plan In SW Florida, And The Speed Is Rarely At 1.5 Like It Used To Be. Most Of The Time My Speed Is At 756kb! It's Terrible. Anyone Know What I Can Do To Have This Issue Corrected, I Cannot Work From Home!

Upgrade to a faster plan?

for 33 cents a month i can deal with some instability

pietromoon said:   for 33 cents a month i can deal with some instability

33 cents? It's 19.95 a month for 5 years, not pay 19.95 and nothing more for 5 years.

Why don't they have 7 mbps all throughout? Is their press release a lie?

I have the 40meg package. Paperwork says up to 40, speeds not guaranteed, etc.

CenturyLink DSL was a nightmare for me too. I had continous trouble with their service, and they still made me pay the ETF. It was worth it to get rid of them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014