cheapest place to buy window blinds

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
i have a house that needs all new blinds. the length of the windows are 76 which Home Depot and Lowes only carry up to 72 inches. so if i might have to go with verticals or special order? just looking fit anything cheap

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I ended up purchasing the 3 blinds for 131 dollars. I'll post back how it worked out at the end. I did notice that Lo... (more)

cheapbone (Oct. 06, 2011 @ 9:47a) |

Do NOT buy from Blinds Chalet...bad bad bad....a real rip-off...horrible customer service! Avoid like the plauge

henryllama (Oct. 18, 2011 @ 5:43p) |

Just an update:
I ordered from blindsexpress and was really impressed with the quality of the blinds as far as how they l... (more)

cheapbone (Oct. 23, 2011 @ 5:07p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The cheapest I have found is:
http://www.stardecorating.com/blinds.asp?m=star+blinds
Hunter Douglas no longer sale their blinds online.
We purchased all of our blinds from this place and were quite satisified.
They had the best prices I could find.

I say go to Homedepot or Lowe's. They are really the cheapest if you're getting regular faux wood or plastic blinds. They will cut them for you for free. If you're getting real wood blinds, still Homedepot and Lowe's are cheap but you have to stack a 10% coupon that you can get from the post office, buy gift cards from eBay and wait for a sale from either of those stores. If you buy 10 blinds or more, both stores will send someone to install them free for you.

The best place is on the internet. If you go to a store you have to reduce them in size yourself which often gives a uneven fit to the blinds. Buy them online made to measure, i've tried www.lifestyleblinds.com/ and always found them ideal.

Try blindschalet.com they have 30% off plus an additional 5% if you order $300 or more. Their prices beat Lowes or Home Depot and they are good quality.

I went to stardecorating website and if I put in blinds at the size of 36 inches by 76 inches almost every thing I tried comes out to $150 dollars give or take.

I have a discount at Lowes and homedepot that I always get 10% off, but they don't have the length I need at 76 inches without special ordering it or using vertical blinds.

I found this at Blinds.com and I like it that there's reviews from almost 900 people and you can read that some of them say bad things about Blinds.com, so it doesn't appear to be editied by the company
http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8578#BVRRWidgetI...

The best I have found is www.blinds4udirect.co.uk

o.co and jc pennys have had the best prices for the windows in my house, but 76
' long does sound custom, wich is going to be bad at most places

Is it you Raju?

Special order is always going to be expensive.

I've found it more cost effective in the long run to find a house with the style
blinds I want already installed... and buy the house.

The cheapest is HD Supply -- one of their catalogs targets property managers and sell blinds by the truckload. The website is HDSupplySolutions.com and will sell to anyone with no minimum order.

Have you thought out of the box a little bit? I.E. Other ways to get 76 inches.

You could go to Home Depot and get two 38 inch blinds for each window. The nice thing is that it will be cheap and will allow you more ability to control lighting/air flow if you have a window open.

They should mount just fine to about any window and it gets around the 72 inch limit.

Good Luck.

@ blinding
www.blinds4udirect.co.uk I'm assuming is for UK only since the site ends with UK and the measurements are mm instead of inches.

@accipters2
I went to HDsupplysolutions and most of the sizes I was looking for didn't exist. The prices did seem pretty good.

@ rshaslam
maybe I don't understand, but I think two blinds on top of each other would look strange unless you are talking about taking the string and trying to extend it or something, which I would think wouldn't be reliable/stable

I went to Blinds.com and their brand Blinds.com that says 2" Fauxwood Economy Blinds has these prices for a few windows I measured today around the house.

52x73 -> $74 dollars
52x63 -> $64 dollars
36x37 -> $33 dollars

I'm looking at white faux blinds and I think these are the best prices I could find so far for these measurements. When I go to HomeDepot.com to compare, the cheapest 36x37 I could find was 60 dollars, so almost double. The same for the other sizes, so Home Depot and Lowes even if I got 20% off, it appears to be more expensive. The benefit is that I'm sure you might be able to return easier and see it in person before purchasing.

I got some from Blinds.com and was pretty happy with them- excellent price and came pretty quick. My few tips
1)It's the internet- just go to Blinds.com and a few other websites and search for your size- compare prices- lots of places have coupons.
2)Not all 2" blinds are created equal- it's tough to tell but some are better than others so try to compare apples to apples- in general comparing the low end blinds will be pretty similar
3)At least for some sizes I found HD to be cheaper- so if you are bored price all of them at Blinds.com and hd and buy the cheapest combo.
4)Blinds.com and maybe some other sites will cover you if you mismeasure. I know measuring is pretty easy but if for some dumb reason you wrote down 73 instead of 76 and get the wrong blinds from Blinds.com, they will take it back- most places wont.

Costco has excellent prices, though they (i.e. their vendors) don't really carry the lower-end materials. Worth looking into perhaps.

I have used justblinds.com for 2 of my homes. They are custom blinds and are about 50% cheaper than HD or Lowes. $60 for 2"faux wood blinds at 36x76.

Thanks OP for starting this thread and for the suggestions from everyone. I have been meaning to get some (roller-type) blinds. After trying out all of the suggestions here, Blinds.com was likely cheapest. I can't really tell if quality will be a factor, since the photos don't really give you a sense of what the material really will look like.

Haven't ordered yet - just asked for some swatches, which were free. I'll report back.

Let us know how this goes. I bought a house that had the enjoyable 1960's/1970's "rolling white shades" -- I hate them, but I have at least 20 windows that need blinds. Been procrastinating because of how high priced custom blinds can be.

Another vote for Costco (Hunter Douglas), but not if price is the only thing that drives you. I recently ordered 4 Duette shades, got the $100 rebate, will get the $90 tax credit and love them. They are top-down-bottom-up custom made inside mount. 4 shades that are approx 28 x 52 with installation were $1100 and well-worth it imo. Blinds are not for me re the way they look, the way they collect dust, the mess of cords, etc. They often reek of cheap (like something you would put in a rental property). To each their own, of course.

Steves Blinds & Wallpaper

I am sure you can find a coupon code to use as well.

Something to consider.. at a recent tour of several model homes in the area.. it appears that it is now stylish to mount your binds a ways down from the top of the window.. allows light to enter the room but still allows for privacy... so perhaps those shorter blinds are exactly what you need...

I've used these guys many times. Prices and service are both very good.

www.blindsexpress.com

i was going to order from Blinds.com but blindsexpress was much cheaper fit the white faux blinds. i found a coupon for Blinds.com that takes the price from 170 to 150, but blinds express comes out to 131 for those blinds.

these blinds are going into a rental property, so I'd like them to look decent. i do like having the reviews at blind. com and it seems they have good return policy, not sure about the other.

I ended up purchasing the 3 blinds for 131 dollars. I'll post back how it worked out at the end. I did notice that Lowes had some really inexpensive blinds before I purchased them, but they were calling them faux wood, which I thought indicated the thick PVC type of slates, but the description was vinly. So comparing apples to apples I think blindsexpress was the least expensive. Before checking out it appeared they have a horrible return policy though, so to be on the safe side I ordered 1/8 of an inch smaller as I feel I might be able to do things with blinds that are slightly smaller than ones that won't fit.

Do NOT buy from Blinds Chalet...bad bad bad....a real rip-off...horrible customer service! Avoid like the plauge

Just an update:
I ordered from blindsexpress and was really impressed with the quality of the blinds as far as how they look. I only ordered three blinds as I didn't want to order more if I was unhappy with the blinds, but I'm planning on ordering 3 more blinds from them. They were drastically cheaper than Lowes and homedepot for the generic store brand, but they look nicer than most blinds I've seen.

The only negative thing I can think of is that blindsexpress has probably a really bad return policy. I measured a window frame a few times and even placed an order with it being 1/8 smaller just incase and I still had to cut one myself. Luckily all three blinds went in alright, but I think if you have to return blinds there you might be out of luck. So I'd order slightly on the short side maybe by 1/8 of an inch or something and then lower on the length as I think one extra slate doesn't look bad at all compared to it not touching.

The ones I ordered were the: Our Brand WD Express 2 inch Faux wood Whites Smooth(Rapid Ship)

But I'm about to order some vertical blinds from them as well, hopefully I'll be as happy with the vertical as I was with the faux wood 2 inch blinds.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.