iPod Nano 1st generation Replacement!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
iPod Nano 1st generation Replacement!
Just got an Email from Apple--a big surprise since I haven't purchased any apple product since 05. It turns out that there might be a defect in the battery where it could overheat and catch on fire. You can send it in for a replacement--not sure what kind of Generation you'll get though, but you might get something better? First gen was 2gb and 4gb. I think the minimum hdd storage for the current iPod nanos is now is 8gb?

Link is here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/?cjid=10492644...

Attached below is the email I got:

Dear iPod nano owner,

Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

Replacement Process

You may order a replacement unit via the web. Click here to begin.

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.

Additional Information

Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back.

If you need assistance with placing an order, please visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) and bring your iPod nano with you for serial number validation.

Your replacement iPod product is warranted to be free from defects for 90 days from the date of service.

Thank you for participating in this program.

Pulled From S/D Thanks MisterOink OP
Sincerely,

Apple

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
5 weeks

StNick (Jan. 29, 2012 @ 2:14p) |

I called mine in instead of filling out the online form. The benefit is they will give you a service number to give to y... (more)

atomicfire (Jan. 31, 2012 @ 1:37p) |

Apple received my first Gen on Jan 14 and I received an e-mail the replacement shipped on 2/28/12, so that's a tad more ... (more)

eandtee (Feb. 28, 2012 @ 3:02p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks... Wonder if they are going to ship a new 1st generation or what exactly

Can someone please report on what model they receive back for a replacement? Thanks

Thanks... just applied... they are sending me a box.

I'm getting a box too.

I also got the email. They should replace with something newer because i doubt they have the first gens around. I sent in serial number so we'll see. Iknew i kept it for a reason. Plus a few years back i got 2 checks for the scratch lawsuit they had for 46.00 bucks.

My Nano overheated while charging several years ago but is not included in this recall, that sucks.

Thanks OP! I wasn't sure if mine was 1st Gen or not, but I input the Serial Number and it went all the way through the process. As others have said, I wonder what the replacement will be?

Thanks OP!

BWS said:   Can someone please report on what model they receive back for a replacement? Thanks

You are kidding right? haha -- Apple says it will take six weeks. If you have a nano, you shouldn't care what ya get back...ur getting a free replacement nano of equal or better value.

thanks for this - i would have never know and luckily i still have mine - sent for the box!

BWS said:   Can someone please report on what model they receive back for a replacement? Thanks

ipad?

I had two that I had purchased at the same time... Tossed one years ago when it stopped working ... The other one is ready to be replaced!

According to this CNET article, it will be another 1st Gen Nano

LINK

upgrade would be nice though...

I'll gladly take another first generation (or two)! I have two to send back. One only plays when it's attached to my car radio. Other than that, it won't turn or or play on it's own (I guess the menu wheel is broken). I have such a hard time throwing things away, even when they're broken - this is one time it worked out (hopefully, unless they refuse to replace the broken one)...

Wonder if there is a market for newer first gen nanos? haha that sucks was hoping to get a newer version oh well. Just read on another site that it may be the newest one,but they dont know for sure. The email said it has to be within 10 days after you get the box so keep that in mind.

Thanks OP. Have two of these sitting around (one used in a car still!) and wouldn't mind replacements.

Also remember folks that you can trade in ANY old iPod for 10% off a new one at an Apple Store. Not the most effective use in many cases, but if you have a broken old one...voila.

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

I created a service ticket on Monday and still haven't received the package to ship it to Apple. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

bobbymack said:   I created a service ticket on Monday and still haven't received the package to ship it to Apple. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I got it 4 days ago, although haven't got around to shipping it back to Apple

i requested the replacement last week, have not recieved the box yet, but today the online status says"box shipped"

from SD:

- go to https://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking?cntry_code=us

- "under reference enter your repair ID then change country to USA then enter your zip code for where the package will be delievered this will give you the tracking number"

Someone else on that site said that there will be a delay because Apple ran out of boxes.

Unfortunately, I got:

"Not Found
No information for the following shipments has been received by our system yet. Please try again later or contact Customer Service." for my reference number

In any case, are they simply going to send back a clean replacement or any chance they may transfer the content of the returned ipod onto it first?

I did the FedEx check and it states "not found" too. I am also still waiting for box to ship back old ipod. I created service ticket on 11/14 and still have not received package for return shipping yet.

I got my empty box today.

My 'repair status' still says "diagnosis pending" after almost an entire month.
Not pleased about that.

Toysurfer said:   My 'repair status' still says "diagnosis pending" after almost an entire month.
Not pleased about that.

Mine says Product Replacement Pending after over 4 weeks... I've not been a fan of apple in a very long time, but this reassures me that I wouldn't want to buy a new ipod. It's nice that they are replacing something that may burn your house down after 5 years, but if this is indicitive of the amount of time it takes to handle a repair i'm overall unhappy.

I came here hoping someone would have and idea what it will be replaced with. I got my box last week and I have to wait till christmas to send it out. (child using it getting touch)

Sort of disappointing to hear that the first people to get in havent been shipped yet.

Jlovey2 said:   I came here hoping someone would have and idea what it will be replaced with. I got my box last week and I have to wait till christmas to send it out. (child using it getting touch)

Sort of disappointing to hear that the first people to get in havent been shipped yet.
6th gen nano is was the interweb has been saying today. Mac Rumors

That would be nice although i'd prefer a bigger size like a 4th or 5th

LiquidSilver said:   Jlovey2 said:   I came here hoping someone would have and idea what it will be replaced with. I got my box last week and I have to wait till christmas to send it out. (child using it getting touch)

6th gen nano is was the interweb has been saying today. Mac Rumors

Amazing that I just received an email that said mine has been shipped and it included the serial number of the device. It is actually an 8gb 6th generation when I look of the serial. I'll have to wait until I am able to sign for the FedEx.

received my replacement ipod today. Ipod nano, 6th generation. 8GB

Thanks a lot OP. I received my replacement (6th gen 8GB) today via FedEx Home Delivery (Direct Signature Required).

I'll second (third? fourth?) the responses above... received a 6th Gen 8gb Nano as a replacement for my 1gb 1st Gen (NY Jets edition). The replacement was a refurb but couldn't find a mark on it. Interesting that it is sent totally bare bones... no accessories (none really expected), no documentation... only thing included is a single sheet of paper noting the 90 day warranty.

It was sent FedEx w/signature required.

caterpillar123 said:   Thanks a lot OP. I received my replacement (6th gen 8GB) today via FedEx Home Delivery (Direct Signature Required).

+1. What a pleasant surprise! Thank you OP!

Got mine today Refurb 8GB Silver (6th Gen). Mine came with a sticker on the unit with the S/N information, which was (strangely) the only place I can find it. So heads up: don't throw that away!

Thanks for the heads up on the Serial Number. I did not see it there.

I also just received a silver, 6th Gen, 8gb Nano as a replacement for my 4gb 1st Generation.

8GB Nano here as well, sweet.

How long did most peoples take to ship? I shipped mine around 12/27 it was checked in 1/10 and is still sitting waiting to ship. I check every few days and it hasnt budged. Tuesday it will be officially there 3 weeks.

Skipping 3 Messages...
Apple received my first Gen on Jan 14 and I received an e-mail the replacement shipped on 2/28/12, so that's a tad more than 6 weeks at Apple.

Thanks again BB.
The Nano 1st Gen belonged to my youngest daughter. Needless to say she's moved on to an iPod Touch / iPhone.
My wife, who has never had an iPod, is looking forward her "new" Nano for morning power walks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014