• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I recently placed an order with Kohls and per UPS tracking, it was supposed to arrive today. The package arrived at my local UPS hub yesterday morning, and was originally shipped from an hour or two away from here. But I check the status and it shows that the package was transferred to the post office (supposedly per the sender's request) and delivery was delayed another day.

A couple weeks ago, I also had a package shipped by UPS that ended up in my mailbox. My box has a lock on it that (to my knowledge) only the local post office has the key to. At the time I half figured that UPS also had a key, but now I realize that the mailperson likely delivered that item too.

These are actual UPS packages (with a 1Z... tracking number) rather than UPS Mail Innovations. (MI is UPS's equivalent of FedEx Smartpost, which uses USPS for final delivery).

So is UPS starting to shift towards using the post office for final delivery of packages? Or is this just something they're doing during the holiday season due to volume of packages?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You will find that UPS and FedEx sell space to eachother to get a package delivered, they also use the standard airlines... (more)

bb6619 (Dec. 17, 2011 @ 10:54a) |

It literally adds an extra day to the delivery. Don't like it!

Pobre (Dec. 17, 2011 @ 11:43a) |

I was talking to my mail lady today. USPS uses their planes and in turn delivers the parcels for ups and FedEx

Mrtelevisionguy (Dec. 17, 2011 @ 3:46p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

UPS and FedEx have been doing that for at least a few years now, and one of them uses the term "last mile" to describe the arrangement.

DHL sometimes just picks up packages, such as from Newegg, and drops them off at post offices.

It sucks for UPS drivers. They deliver thousands of packages a day to the post office for the postal carrier to deliver. It appears to be a contract between UPS and USPS....which in turn actually takes WORK away from the UPS drivers .

Well yeah, I've had plenty of packages delivered by Smartpost and Mail Innovations. Those are their cheap (but really slow) services that move packages through their system, then drop them off at the local post office for delivery.

At least with UPS, Mail Innovations is completely different from their other shipping services...for instance, the tracking numbers are completely different formats and you can't track them through the same site. "Regular" UPS begins with a 1Z. MI packages use the USPS tracking number to track within both systems. I hadn't seen a non-MI package get delivered through the post office before.

marmel518 said:   It sucks for UPS drivers. They deliver thousands of packages a day to the post office for the postal carrier to deliver. It appears to be a contract between UPS and USPS....which in turn actually takes WORK away from the UPS drivers.Don't feel too sorry for them -- they have more than they can handle right now. And if they were to go UPS all the way they would cost more for the shipper, so might not go by UPS at all.

I ordered something @ Amazon on a Friday morning. Got it that following Monday delivered by USPS to my mailbox (pretty Darn quick). The package was initially carried by UPS.

its a UNION thing deal,,thats why they are broke.....

Same thing for me, I got those gloves for $2 from Kohls and arrived in my mailbox.

Well it makes no sense why UPS cant deliver to PO Boxes then ...

UPS Basic is another low cost option that delivers to PO Boxes. I think it uses 1Z tracking numbers (Sierra Trading Post was using it also). All these methods have a one day delay to be delivered through USPS. If post office delivered, they are dropped off at each local post office, which gets between 1 and 3 dollars for delivering the package the "last mile"..... If home delivered by UPS, only one attempt is made.

It sucks so much, I ordered something from Newegg, was not in the rush, chose 7 days delivery. It was delivered to my city and handed to USPS within 4 days. Took 5 additional days for USPS to finally bring it. I know it is a holiday season, but I just don't trust USPS.

This is part of the issue of the USPS. They are required to deliver to every address in the US(although they might require use of cluster boxes, or use contract carriers.)

So UPS and FedEx don't actually have to have as extensive a distribution network, and do not have to drive 40 miles out into the sticks for one delivery.

(Which is also why the calls to sell the Post Office to private industry show a lack of understanding of the situation.)

marmel518 said:   It sucks for UPS drivers. They deliver thousands of packages a day to the post office for the postal carrier to deliver. It appears to be a contract between UPS and USPS....which in turn actually takes WORK away from the UPS drivers .

I am sure there is a financial reason for it. Most items I ordered from Newegg shipped this way are usually the smaller items. Larger items are handled and delivered by UPS only.

P.S. I have no objection to the Canadian Post's way of no Saturday delivery and selling licensees to local pharmacies and small stores as mini post offices. They work very well.

Yes, both FedEx and UPS using USPS for delivery. Check out the UPS SUREPOST and FedEx SMARTPOST.

scottxmso said:   Well yeah, I've had plenty of packages delivered by Smartpost and Mail Innovations. Those are their cheap (but really slow) services that move packages through their system, then drop them off at the local post office for delivery.

At least with UPS, Mail Innovations is completely different from their other shipping services...for instance, the tracking numbers are completely different formats and you can't track them through the same site. "Regular" UPS begins with a 1Z. MI packages use the USPS tracking number to track within both systems. I hadn't seen a non-MI package get delivered through the post office before.

I had an Amazon package go via Mail Innovations, and it took so long I asked them to stop using MI and left a poor shipping review.

hkgfnt said:   marmel518 said:   It sucks for UPS drivers. They deliver thousands of packages a day to the post office for the postal carrier to deliver. It appears to be a contract between UPS and USPS....which in turn actually takes WORK away from the UPS drivers .

I am sure there is a financial reason for it. Most items I ordered from Newegg shipped this way are usually the smaller items. Larger items are handled and delivered by UPS only.

There is a financial reason. The last leg is the most expensive route. UPS and FedEx dump this segment to the USPS who are required to provide the service. It's cheaper for UPS/FedEx to pay the USPS than deliver the packages themselves. If you use the super saver shipping from Amazon, most time your package get sent this way. Amazon's been doing it for years.

This is not to mention that the Antivirus s/w package I purchased from Newegg was smash into a flat package when I received it from USPS indirectly from UPS. I wonder who stepped on the packaging. Fortunately there wasn't any damaging scratch which could have destroyed the s/w disc entirely.

mail innovation takes about 4 weeks to deliver within US, that has happened, they first ship thruUPS then changes to USPS MI

sherap2 said:   mail innovation takes about 4 weeks to deliver within US, that has happened, they first ship thruUPS then changes to USPS MI

I can't stand MI - they're painfully slow. If the online retailer would tell their customers it was going through MI (rather than just saying UPS ground - as was the case with my last order from Wal-Mart - nerf gun bundle - don't judge me - lol) and a more exact to be expected by date, I'm pretty sure most people would choose another option - especially this time of year.

rooms222 said:   UPS Basic is another low cost option that delivers to PO Boxes. I think it uses 1Z tracking numbers (Sierra Trading Post was using it also). All these methods have a one day delay to be delivered through USPS. If post office delivered, they are dropped off at each local post office, which gets between 1 and 3 dollars for delivering the package the "last mile"..... If home delivered by UPS, only one attempt is made.

Do you have an online information source for the costs you mentioned: "between 1 and 3 dollars"?

You will find that UPS and FedEx sell space to eachother to get a package delivered, they also use the standard airlines

It literally adds an extra day to the delivery. Don't like it!

I was talking to my mail lady today. USPS uses their planes and in turn delivers the parcels for ups and FedEx

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014