• filter:
  • 1 234523
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
My goal for this thread is to make a go-to place for people to learn about using Staples Rewards. I just signed up for Staples Rewards, but am trying to learn about it, so please correct me on any of this information if I'm wrong. From reading various threads on hot deals, it seems that we have several FWers that are extremely well-versed in Staples' policies.

Thanks to metsfan for this program
Staples Logger Excel File (with Macros): Download Metsfan's logger
Instructions: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1157891/m1665816...

This is the most valuable post I've seen relating to the Staples Rewards Program:
my4mainecoons said:   If you pay for a Free After Rewards item w/ Rewards you will not get Rewards back.
If you pay for a Free After Rebate item w/ Rewards you will get your entire Rebate back.
Free after Rebate IS NOT the same as Free After Rewards.
Using coupons on Free After Rebate items will not lower your Rebate.
Using Staples coupons on Free After Rewards items will lower your Reward amount.
Using manufacturer coupons on Free After Rewards items has not been affecting Reward amount lately.

Mr.V- yes, I've often paid for Free After Rebate items with 100% Rewards and received back full rebate $$.

In summary, to maximize your rewards, you should never use Staples rewards when purchasing free after rewards items. If you use Staples coupons, they will reduce your award amount by the amount of the coupon. Manufacturer's coupons do not reduce the award amount. You should be able to purchase free after rebate items any way you want and still get the rebate. Therefore, you can use your rewards that you receive from free after rewards items and purchase free after rebate items to essentially cash out the rewards certificates.

Useful Websites:
RebatesHQ - Try using your full 9 digit zip (no hyphen) and 5 digit zip to see which one shows more rebates. You can also use this site to find check numbers of checks that have been cut.
Staples Inventory Checker - This site can be helpful in checking inventory if there's a problem with the inventory checker page on Staples.com. It also shows you certain discounted items and lets you find out if they are available near you.
Staples Rebate Offers - Use this site to check easy rebate offers and find offer numbers. GO TO THIS SITE BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION ABOUT WHETHER A REBATE OFFER IS A CONTINUATION OR A NEW ONE/WHETHER LIMITS ARE RESET

From bpvh (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1007173/), the one exception to the first sentence is where there is a fixed value in rewards (purchase a case of paper and get $39.99 in rewards). Even if you use rewards to purchase the paper, you still get the full $39.99 in rewards. On the other hand, if a deal requires you to spend $30, and you use $20 in rewards on the original purchase price of $45, you don't get rewards because the rewards used are subtracted from the purchase price when determining eligibility.

If you use a dollar off coupon, Staples will prorate the coupon amount to each item. This is not ideal because you are essentially wasting a portion of the coupon if some of the items in the order are free after rewards items.
MISTERCHEAP said: Otherwise, I agree with you Roy. Rule is $/$$ coupons are OK (not real loss, saves sales tax upfront), individual Staples issued "product" coupons which are meant to lower the price on one given item (eg, Avery Labels), will get prorated against all the items on an order, even rewards items that are not Avery.

A "free after rewards" item is an item that Staples sells where they offer 100% back in rewards. For example, in this thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1156615/?start=120, the binders are "free after rewards"
A "free after rebate" item is an item where you get a rebate check/gift card for the item as opposed to rewards which must be spent at Staples.

Ink Recycling: Regular members can recycle up to 10 cartridges per calendar month, premier members can recycle up to 20 per calendar month. Unless a promotion is going on, each cartridge is worth $2 in rewards and will be paid out separately from other rewards. There is also no minimum, so if you recycle one cartridge, you will get $2 in rewards regardless of whether you purchased anything else.
This thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1007173/ contains a lot more information on ink recycling, so questions related to ink recycling should be directed there.

Frequently Asked Questions I will also continue adding questions that I think of. I will add in other questions posed in the replies as well.
  • When completing the Easy Rebate with Staples, you can choose to receive a Visa GC, Staples GC, or a check. Is there any reason to choose an option other than a check?

(Thank you mistercheap) Yes. Paypal is now an option for most rebates amounts under $20. This is the easiest way to get "paid out". Some people do like the Visa Prepaid Card if they don't want the hassle of "cashing" a check at a bank. It is accepted anywhere Visa is accepted and can usually be used online as well to order/pay for merchandise. It is strictly a "personal preference" issue. Each option does get you the same "value" in the end. Just depends what is the most convenient for the individual.

• Do purchases of all items (other than the standard disclaimer about gift cards, prepaid phone cards, etc...) count toward Staples Premier status? If I purchase $500 in free after rebate and free after rewards items, does that entire $500 count toward premier status?

(Thank you mistercheap) Yes. However, free after rewards items will NOT earn "premier spend" when you go to redeem the rewards checks, even if cashed out on a "regular" item (as opposed to a rebate or rewards item). Sales tax DOES NOT count towards your spend towards Premier.

• Can I take advantage of Staples easy rebates and mail in rebates from other stores purchasing items from the same manufacturer? For example, if I purchase free after rebate antivirus software from Staples, can I also purchase that same software from Fry's and take advantage of the Staples easy rebate and the Fry's rebate?

(Thank you mistercheap)Usually, unless there is specific wording in the rebate limiting the number of rebates PER TITLE PER HOUSEHOLD. This would especially be true on McAfee rebates where it is not done by "easy rebate online" but only via Mail In Rebate.

• Are there any negative consequences to purchasing items with Staples gift cards (other than losing inherent protections and rewards you would otherwise receive if you use a credit card)?

(Thank you mistercheap)Yes, returns paid with a gift card are only issued "cash card" merchandise credits and never given back in cash unless the amount is under $10. But that is a minor consequence.

• Individual store issues seem to be YMMV, but have people had trouble separating orders into two orders to maximize rewards? I.e. if I have a $5 of $25 coupon and want to use it on a free after rebate item and also want to purchase free after rewards items, can I do two separate purchases, purchase the free after rebate item using the coupon, and then purchase all of the free after rewards items without the coupon?

(Thank you yesidonoitall) They should allow you to do this without issue. It may be wise to not bring up the reason you are doing it, or if they ask, to just say something such as "accounting reasons".
    (Thank you mistercheap)Yes, however, there is little to lose by using a "free" given coupon (in ad, emailed to you, etc) on rewards items. You will simply get back your net cost back in rewards, but will save a little on sales tax on the front end. This can be helpful when it's a $10 off $50 coupon and you have $15 in Free/Rewards items and $35 in regular items. You could combine the two, use the $10 off $50 and pay $40oop and the coupon would be pro rated against all the items versus having no coupon to use if you did seperate transactions. The rule here is "it's your call" if you want to lower your up front OOP/tax versus getting more rewards back in the monthly pay out. If it's a coupon that cost you nothing to obtain, it's a wash to use it on free/rewards items. If it's a "REWARDS CHECK" of some kind, then you definitely DO NOT want to use it to pay for Rewards items.

• What happens if your rewards certificate expires?

(Thank you mathfaster)Contact Staples Rewards and see if they will issue a new one.

• Does Staples match other stores' coupons?
    It depends on the store, competitor, and may also depend on the type of coupon.

• For those that take advantage of rewards often, do the store managers where you shop know you? What's their attitude toward you maximizing your benefits? Do you take steps to stay under the radar?

(Thank you crhptic)I don't know if the managers at my location know I use a lot of rewards. I do know that they see me in the store frequently, and that I am a Premier rewards card holder. However, they usually are not at the checkout when I am redeeming rewards, so unless one of the cashiers would happen to mention me to them I don't know why they would know that I use a lot of rewards. I would assume that unless they chose to look into it they just think of me as a frequent customer, and they've generally treated me pretty well as a result.

• When do you submit the easy rebates?

(Thank you MISTERCHEAP)Rule of thumb is... submit immediately, that way you don't forget or even worse, accidentally toss the receipt with the rebate info. Also, you should ALWAYS read the emails with the subject line "WE GOT IT AND SOON YOU'LL GET IT BACK" OR "UPDATE! YOUR REBATE IS BEING PROCESSED", it shows exactly which items cleared on the receipt for the rebate. Make sure you cross check the information. If you purchased two of the same item and submitted individual rebates for each, there should be multiple lines listing that same item in the email.

• Does the use of a Staples Visa Rebate card or Staples gift card affect any rebates/rewards for a given product?

(Thank you mathfaster)No. A rebate card or a gift card is a stored form of cash. Think of it as a cash equivalent. It has no more affect on rebates or rewards for a given product than would paying with cash.

• Does using OD/OM coupon affect FAR rebates?

(Thank you crhptic)I bought a FAR item with an Office Max 10 off 30 coupon, which is put in as a price adjustment, and I still got the full rebate amount.

• What should I do if I purchase a FARewards item, and the rewards show op online as $0.00?

First verify that the item you purchased is actually part of the promotion. Then call Staples Rewards and ask them why it's not showing up. They will issue manual rewards for items that should have been FARewards, but note that the expiration date may be sooner than rewards normally issued. If the item doesn't qualify and you're still within the promotional (savings) period, return the item and purchase one that qualifies.

• Is the trading of electronic codes (and discussions about it) regarded as a bannable offense? Are those codes illegit?

(Thank you MISTERCHEAP) it's not a "bannable" offense on FW, however, abuse of these electronic codes can get you banned from Staples both as an online customer and a rewards member.

Unless Staples emails you a "unique" code to use, other avenues to obtain them are typically not authorized.

However, it is ok to print off coupons from FW of 5 digit code/multi use coupons and the customer appreciation coupons, which are intended to be distributed to everyone. these can include % or $/$$ savings or bonus free after rewards coupons.

• Can rewards be used on the purchase of gift cards at Staples?

(Thank you gw1400) You can purchase gift cards online with rewards. In store is likely YMMV.

• If I return an item that I used a $ of $$ coupon on and that brings the total purchase to less than the $$ amount, do I lose the whole $ coupon?

(Thank you bpvh) The full coupon would not be lost but the portion allocated to the returned item(s) would be lost.

• When does Premier status start once you've reached $1000 in spending?

(Thank you MisterCheap) typically the month after you reach it (ie, spend $1000 in Jan, should see Premier in Feb. you can also call them and sometimes they can "flag" it earlier if you're trying to recycle ink carts (20 vs 10).
    (Thank you pthor1231) They do what seems like weekly runs for determining premier elgibility. You can always call up and ask them, as someone indicated (I think mathfaster) that the spending amount you see on staplesrewardscenter.com isn't necessarily the true spending amount, for whatever reason. A good indication for the lazy though is that when you log in to the rewards sight, it will says Premier up in the top right.

• When you are inputting receipt information to Staples Easy Rebates, at what point do you learn that there is a problem (i.e. if you enter the wrong rebate offer code or receipt number)?

(Thank you MisterCheap) When you are inputting receipt information to Staples Easy Rebates, at what point do you learn that there is a problem (i.e. if you enter the wrong rebate offer code or receipt number)? ---that can vary. Sometimes a receipt number can still work even if it's the wrong one (still the right algorithim), and you don't find out for days when you get the notice "there were no matching items on the receipt", etc. Also, you can enter the wrong rebate code that's valid for something else, simply be transposing digits, which is why YOU SHOULD READ THE REBATE INFO it says on the screen "ie. get a $9.99 rebate on HP photo paper" to make sure it's for the item you bought. Sometimes it's easier and you just get an error message saying "invalid receipt number" cause you omitted a digit or similar. It's really a trial and error type problem, no one simple answer for this question.

• When is it safe to get rid of the special rebate receipt and the long receipts with the rebate information? If a problem occurs, is the regular receipt and the email from Staples sufficient to pursue getting the easy rebate?

(Thank you MisterCheap) After your rebate goes to "validation complete" is usually the safest point. But as long as you have your original receipt you can always return the item or re-enter the info again if you goofed up by using the receipt # on the bottom and looking up the correct rebate offer # if you mis entered it the first go round.

• What happens if you purchase an item with SER, you submit the SER, but then you return the item?

(Thank you crhptic) If you return the item before you have gotten the rebate, the rebate validation will fail and you won't get the rebate.

• What's the best way to track SERs and check numbers?

(Thank you metsfan) If you search the tracking number you get from Staples on rebateshq.com, it'll show you a check number if the rebate has been mailed.

• What's the Staples kiosk?

It's a computer in the store that's for customer use. It can be useful when you need to buy a product online (due to availability, rebate restrictions, etc...), but pay for it in store (so you can use store coupons, gift cards, etc...)

• Can I use Staples Gift Cards online

Not at this time.

• I haven't received my rebate check that was issued a while ago. What should I do?

(Thank you c3 and mathfaster) As long as it's been less than 30 days since the check cut date and the status doesn't show "cleared", give it some more time.

• Is there any down side to buying online version of the free after rebate software?

(Thank you mathfaster) No returns/refunds on downloads. That is the downside. The upside depending on what state you are in may be no sales tax. You do NOT have to download the software or install it to get the rebate.

• If I buy something with rewards checks and then return the item after the rewards checks would have expired, what happens to the value of those checks?

(Thank you mathfaster) If you return after the rewards check's expiration date, the cash register will not print out a balance coupon and you are at the mercy of the manager to give you a gift card. HTH. Had you returned the item in the 7 days before the rewards expired you would have gotten back the rewards as a balance coupon expiring in another month.

• If I buy multiple copies of a sku(product) with a rebate in a single transaction do I have to submit the rebate multiple times?

(Thank you mathfaster) No, you only need to submit the rebate once. The rebate system knows from the transaction the quantity you purchased.

• Do I have to use a reward check in a single transaction or can I use it multiple times online/in store?

(Thank you mathfaster) Rewards used online MUST be used in their entirety. In store if you spend less than the total amount of the rewards you will get a balance coupon for a one-time use on a subsequent purchase that must be spent in its entirety. No balance coupon from the use of a balance coupon. So one shot online. Two shots in the store.

• If an item was FAR last week, and shows up as FAR again this week, does the limit per customer reset?

It's based on the offer code (XX-XXXXX). If the code is different, it's a new rebate and new limits apply. If the code is the same, the limit is not reset. See the link at the top of this thread for help determining the offer number.

Questions still awaiting answers:

Ads by Google
Member Summary

Staples Kiosk (1.18MB)
Thanks metsfan
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The workaround is to buy  online not using the rewards card.
All shipments are to the rewards address, but the rewards is... (more)

yesidonoitall (Sep. 11, 2014 @ 1:49p) |

Interesting. Never seen that posted as a work around. Yeah, they never blacklist you from store purchases.

mathfaster (Sep. 11, 2014 @ 1:57p) |

The issue over coupons was, when you could buy them on eBay, apparently they were photoshopped to indicate good on pc's,... (more)

yesidonoitall (Sep. 11, 2014 @ 2:14p) |

Question:
If you bought something with a Rewards Check (Original check expires 6/30); got a balance coupon. You then use that balance coupon to buy 'X' (bought on 6/29). If you return (on 6/30) 'X', do you get a another coupon check back? And if so, based on above answers, it should then expire on 7/31, correct?

Q: Does the use of a Staples VISA Rebate card or Staples gift card affect any rebates/rewards for a given product.

A: No. A rebate card or a gift card is a stored form of cash. Think of it as a cash equivalent. It has no more affect on rebates or rewards for a given product than would paying with cash.

Q: If I buy multiple copies of a sku(product) with a rebate in a single transaction do I have to submit the rebate multiple times?

A: No, you only need to submit the rebate once. The rebate system knows from the transaction the quantity you purchased.

Glossary:
OM- Office Max
OD- Office Depot
FAR- Free after rebate (although can sometimes refer to free after rewards)
FARewards- Free after rewards
PM- Price match
SER- Staples Easy Rebate
SOOP- Staples Office of the President
YMMV- Your miles may vary, or the deal depends on store location, item availability, cashier, manager, etc.

POTUS- President of the United States (also VPOTUS, SCOTUS)

---
Staples Office of the President policy statement on using CCs to buy GCs, which is ALLOWED.  Note: This is NOT the same as using GCs to buy prepaid CC's, which is NOT allowed (perhaps due to federal money laundering regulations??? citation??).

rated:
RE:
If you use a dollar off coupon, Staples will prorate the coupon amount to each item. This is not ideal because you are essentially wasting a portion of the coupon if some of the items in the order are free after rewards items.

Always do your Staples offers on a separate receipt..
Not with any other purchase.

rated:
Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

rated:
jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

All you have to say is, do these separate, why would they not.

rated:
jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?
I do back to back transactions all the time. I sometimes have to tell them its ok to ring everything up at once cuz they're so accustomed to me doing separate transactions. At one point they would only allow one coupon per transaction (coupon says one per purchase which means one per item purchased but they took it as one per transaction.) So I was doing 4 back to back transactions using one coupon at a time. Email to SOOP took care of that little problem.

rated:
jetsfan92588 said:   In summary, to maximize your rewards, you should never use Staples coupons (manufacturer coupons seem to not lower rewards) {snip} when purchasing free after rewards items.This is incorrect. There is nothing wrong with using coupons on free after rewards items. The only thing to be aware of is that the rewards payout will be reduced by any non-manufacturer coupon that is used. End result ... less OOP = less rewards to use.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?
I do back to back transactions all the time. I sometimes have to tell them its ok to ring everything up at once cuz they're so accustomed to me doing separate transactions. At one point they would only allow one coupon per transaction (coupon says one per purchase which means one per item purchased but they took it as one per transaction.) So I was doing 4 back to back transactions using one coupon at a time. Email to SOOP took care of that little problem.

What is SOOP?

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

Staples Office of the President. Kinda like POTUS.

rated:
When completing the Easy Rebate with Staples, you can choose to receive a Visa GC, Staples GC, or a check. Is there any reason to choose an option other than a check?

Yes. Paypal is now an option for most rebates amounts under $20. This is the easiest way to get "paid out". Some people do like the Visa Prepaid Card if they don't want the hassle of "cashing" a check at a bank. It is accepted anywhere Visa is accepted and can usually be used online as well to order/pay for merchandise. It is strictly a "personal preference" issue. Each option does get you the same "value" in the end. Just depends what is the most convenient for the individual.

Do purchases of all items (other than the standard disclaimer about gift cards, prepaid phone cards, etc...) count toward Staples Premier status? If I purchase $500 in free after rebate and free after rewards items, does that entire $500 count toward premier status?

Yes. However, free after rewards items will NOT earn "premier spend" when you go to redeem the rewards checks, even if cashed out on a "regular" item (as opposed to a rebate or rewards item). Sales tax DOES NOT count towards your spend towards Premier.

Can I take advantage of Staples easy rebates and mail in rebates from other stores purchasing items from the same manufacturer? For example, if I purchase free after rebate antivirus software from Staples, can I also purchase that same software from Fry's and take advantage of the Staples easy rebate and the Fry's rebate?

Usually, unless there is specific wording in the rebate limiting the number of rebates PER TITLE PER HOUSEHOLD. This would especially be true on McAfee rebates where it is not done by "easy rebate online" but only via Mail In Rebate.

Are there any negative consequences to purchasing items with Staples gift cards (other than losing inherent protections and rewards you would otherwise receive if you use a credit card)?

Yes, returns paid with a gift card are only issued "cash card" merchandise credits and never given back in cash unless the amount is under $10. But that is a minor consequence.

Individual store issues seem to be YMMV, but have people had trouble separating orders into two orders to maximize rewards? I.e. if I have a $5 of $25 coupon and want to use it on a free after rebate item and also want to purchase free after rewards items, can I do two separate purchases, purchase the free after rebate item using the coupon, and then purchase all of the free after rewards items without the coupon?

Yes, however, there is little to lose by using a "free" given coupon (in ad, emailed to you, etc) on rewards items. You will simply get back your net cost back in rewards, but will save a little on sales tax on the front end. This can be helpful when it's a $10 off $50 coupon and you have $15 in Free/Rewards items and $35 in regular items. You could combine the two, use the $10 off $50 and pay $40oop and the coupon would be pro rated against all the items versus having no coupon to use if you did seperate transactions. The rule here is "it's your call" if you want to lower your up front OOP/tax versus getting more rewards back in the monthly pay out. If it's a coupon that cost you nothing to obtain, it's a wash to use it on free/rewards items. If it's a "REWARDS CHECK" of some kind, then you definitely DO NOT want to use it to pay for Rewards items.

rated:
Clarification: be sure not to use ANY Staples coupons on the same receipt as the items that are eligible for rewards. If you do, then the entire coupon amount will be deducted from your rewards even if the coupon was for something else on that receipt that doesn't get rewards. You also have to be careful if you buy non-rewards items with any sort of instant savings (often reflects on the receipt as a coupon code) together with your rewards item(s), because that instant savings coupon code will also reduce your rewards, even though the savings was supposed to be applied to something else. This has happened to me several times in the past, and I was only able to get it fixed by calling Staples Rewards and having them issue me a separate reward for the shorted amount. I hope this makes sense.

rated:
roy7736 said:   Clarification: be sure not to use ANY Staples coupons on the same receipt as the items that are eligible for rewards. If you do, then the entire coupon amount will be deducted from your rewards even if the coupon was for something else on that receipt that doesn't get rewards. You also have to be careful if you buy non-rewards items with any sort of instant savings (often reflects on the receipt as a coupon code) together with your rewards item(s), because that instant savings coupon code will also reduce your rewards, even though the savings was supposed to be applied to something else. This has happened to me several times in the past, and I was only able to get it fixed by calling Staples Rewards and having them issue me a separate reward for the shorted amount. I hope this makes sense.

as with many ins/outs on the Staples programs.....

one exception to this rule IMO is....

if a $/$$ off coupon is at stake.

Example you have a $10 off $50 recyclebank coupon.

You have $40 in regular merchandise and $10 in FARwds merchandise.

You combine the two to use the $10 off $50 coupon and the $10 off is prorated against all the items which means you may only get $8 back in rewards on the $10 item but you still saved $8 on the other items you otherwise would have save "zero" extra on.

Otherwise, I agree with you Roy. Rule is $/$$ coupons are OK (not real loss, saves sales tax upfront), individual Staples issued "product" coupons which are meant to lower the price on one given item (eg, Avery Labels), will get prorated against all the items on an order, even rewards items that are not Avery.

rated:
mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....
Why all the abbreviations?

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....

Google is your friend. Abbreviations are a way of life. BRB, LOL, OMG, BFF, etc.

rated:
mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....

Google is your friend. Abbreviations are a way of life. BRB, LOL, OMG, BFF, etc.

Google huh?
It does not know what the proverbial FO means...

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....9

Google huh?

I answered your question re SOOP. Now FO.

rated:
funny.thanks. I needed a good laugh tonight

rated:
mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....9

Google huh?

Googles answer for FO

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&q=fo&oq=fo&aq=f&aqi=p-...

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....9

Google huh?

Googles answer for FO

FO FO SHO.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....

POTUS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-6MTy9FO1g

rated:
mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   mathfaster said:   yesidonoitall said:   my4mainecoons said:   jetsfan92588 said:   Do you know if stores will let you separate orders due to that prorating system, or do you complete the second purchase at a different time/store?

What is SOOP?

And what is POTUS....9

Google huh?

Googles answer for FO

FO FO SHO.

¿Que?

rated:
Rant ...

People, you DON'T have to quote the entire discussion each time you post a reply (especially when you're replying to the previous post).

rated:
What happens if you return an item that you had used reward certificates to pay for? Do you get that amount back as store credit to use again, and if so, in what form (GC, coupon)?

rated:
ImperialMatt said:   What happens if you return an item that you had used reward certificates to pay for? Do you get that amount back as store credit to use again, and if so, in what form (GC, coupon)?

If the original rewards have not expired, you get back a one-time balance coupon, which expires when the original did, and the entire amount of the balance coupon must be used.

If the rewards are within 1 week of expiration when doing the return, then the balance coupon will expire at the end of the following month.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   Yes, however, there is little to lose by using a "free" given coupon (in ad, emailed to you, etc) on rewards items. You will simply get back your net cost back in rewards, but will save a little on sales tax on the front end. This can be helpful when it's a $10 off $50 coupon and you have $15 in Free/Rewards items and $35 in regular items. You could combine the two, use the $10 off $50 and pay $40oop and the coupon would be pro rated against all the items versus having no coupon to use if you did seperate transactions. The rule here is "it's your call" if you want to lower your up front OOP/tax versus getting more rewards back in the monthly pay out. If it's a coupon that cost you nothing to obtain, it's a wash to use it on free/rewards items. If it's a "REWARDS CHECK" of some kind, then you definitely DO NOT want to use it to pay for Rewards items.

I was under the impression that coupons are limited per person or is that more policy than practice?
Also, does Staples match other stores' coupons? The thread in hot deals mentioned an Office Max coupon, but Staples' website says they don't accept competitors coupons. Does this vary by store?

rated:
jetsfan92588 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   Yes, however, there is little to lose by using a "free" given coupon (in ad, emailed to you, etc) on rewards items. You will simply get back your net cost back in rewards, but will save a little on sales tax on the front end. This can be helpful when it's a $10 off $50 coupon and you have $15 in Free/Rewards items and $35 in regular items. You could combine the two, use the $10 off $50 and pay $40oop and the coupon would be pro rated against all the items versus having no coupon to use if you did seperate transactions. The rule here is "it's your call" if you want to lower your up front OOP/tax versus getting more rewards back in the monthly pay out. If it's a coupon that cost you nothing to obtain, it's a wash to use it on free/rewards items. If it's a "REWARDS CHECK" of some kind, then you definitely DO NOT want to use it to pay for Rewards items.

I was under the impression that coupons are limited per person or is that more policy than practice?
Also, does Staples match other stores' coupons? The thread in hot deals mentioned an Office Max coupon, but Staples' website says they don't accept competitors coupons. Does this vary by store?

the $5 off $25 coupon in hot deals is an unlimited use coupon this week (one per order). I was referring to coupons like this. use of competitor coupon acceptance varies from store to store and should be it's "own" topic in this Q&A thread since different rules/issues apply than using a Staples $/$$ off coupon. Staples coupons can be multiuse or one time use. just depends on how they are issued.

EDIT--please link to where the Staples website says "they do not take competitor coupons". first I've heard of that.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   EDIT--please link to where the Staples website says "they do not take competitor coupons". first I've heard of that.
Conversely, I'd like a link that says that they DO take competitors' coupons.

My point (there was some recent debate/discussion on this in a different thread) is that Staplez should have a policy on how they handle competitors' coupons. As best I can tell, this area is YMMV and at the manager's discretion. It would be helpful if they made something available to the customer, i.e., an actual policy.

rated:
Hi
Love this.
I have had a burning question and did not know where to go
I have two Staples Reward cards, when I registered them..............I registered with a different phone number for each account, two different addresses and two different emails (but, it was business email and had same @root email address)
When I tried to buy the same promo/rebate on two different transactions (but, with the same credit card)
I think it was paper, the rebate was $25 Visa card
I got the $25 Visa card for the first transaction but, the second card said "one promo per user"
I was so mad to miss the $25 credit especially since I could not return the product by the time I found out
Where did I go wrong? How did they match it up? Was it the credit card or the email address root?
Should I just try to delete the second account and start with another account?
My goal is to buy stuff for me and also stuff for my office.
IE TWO
Ideas anyone?
Thanks

rated:
mathfaster said:   ImperialMatt said:   What happens if you return an item that you had used reward certificates to pay for? Do you get that amount back as store credit to use again, and if so, in what form (GC, coupon)?

If the original rewards have not expired, you get back a one-time balance coupon, which expires when the original did, and the entire amount of the balance coupon must be used.

If the rewards are within 1 week of expiration when doing the return, then the balance coupon will expire at the end of the following month.

What happens if the original reward certificate used for purchase has expired for a long time and want to return an item that was purchased with that reward certificate? Would you get anything back, in any form to use late?

rated:
Californiadeal said:   Hi
Love this.
I have had a burning question and did not know where to go
I have two Staples Reward cards, when I registered them..............I registered with a different phone number for each account, two different addresses and two different emails (but, it was business email and had same @root email address)
When I tried to buy the same promo/rebate on two different transactions (but, with the same credit card)
I think it was paper, the rebate was $25 Visa card
I got the $25 Visa card for the first transaction but, the second card said "one promo per user"
I was so mad to miss the $25 credit especially since I could not return the product by the time I found out
Where did I go wrong? How did they match it up? Was it the credit card or the email address root?
Should I just try to delete the second account and start with another account?
My goal is to buy stuff for me and also stuff for my office.
IE TWO
Ideas anyone?
Thanks

RE:
I could not return the product by the time I found out

You had the receipt, so why no return possible?

rated:
yoregano said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   EDIT--please link to where the Staples website says "they do not take competitor coupons". first I've heard of that.
Conversely, I'd like a link that says that they DO take competitors' coupons.

My point (there was some recent debate/discussion on this in a different thread) is that Staplez should have a policy on how they handle competitors' coupons. As best I can tell, this area is YMMV and at the manager's discretion. It would be helpful if they made something available to the customer, i.e., an actual policy.

from memory, the competitor coupon issue has come and gone on their website. a few years back, there was definitely a blurb that they would accept Office Depot/Max coupons. But I think now, it's safe to say, it's store by store YMMV type thing. However, if there truly were a "we do not take competitor coupons" statement on the site, that would shoot it down for everyone at all stores.

rated:
Taking others coupons surely depends on how close the competition is to the Staples.

rated:
rdprx5 said:   mathfaster said:   ImperialMatt said:   What happens if you return an item that you had used reward certificates to pay for? Do you get that amount back as store credit to use again, and if so, in what form (GC, coupon)?

What happens if the original reward certificate used for purchase has expired for a long time and want to return an item that was purchased with that reward certificate? Would you get anything back, in any form to use late?

Technically, you get no balance coupon if the rewards have expired and you do a return. However,

"Office supplies: No matter when you made your purchase, you can return office supplies to us for a full refund, including Staples® brand office products."

.... http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/programs/customerservice/shipping...

rated:
I have found that...
Even if beyond the stated date for returns.
Staples will take anything back with a receipt, no time limit if they still sell the item....
If no receipt, they will and give you the lowest price it ever sold for, again if they still sell it....

rated:
I have a question,

How to use a cert that expired? I had one expire on NYD and I forgot about it. Any way to get Staples to accept it? (No I didn't ask the store)

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I have a question,

How to use a cert that expired? I had one expire on NYD and I forgot about it. Any way to get Staples to accept it? (No I didn't ask the store)

Contact Staples Rewards and see if they will issue a new one.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   jetsfan92588 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   Yes, however, there is little to lose by using a "free" given coupon (in ad, emailed to you, etc) on rewards items. You will simply get back your net cost back in rewards, but will save a little on sales tax on the front end. This can be helpful when it's a $10 off $50 coupon and you have $15 in Free/Rewards items and $35 in regular items. You could combine the two, use the $10 off $50 and pay $40oop and the coupon would be pro rated against all the items versus having no coupon to use if you did seperate transactions. The rule here is "it's your call" if you want to lower your up front OOP/tax versus getting more rewards back in the monthly pay out. If it's a coupon that cost you nothing to obtain, it's a wash to use it on free/rewards items. If it's a "REWARDS CHECK" of some kind, then you definitely DO NOT want to use it to pay for Rewards items.

the $5 off $25 coupon in hot deals is an unlimited use coupon this week (one per order). I was referring to coupons like this. use of competitor coupon acceptance varies from store to store and should be it's "own" topic in this Q&A thread since different rules/issues apply than using a Staples $/$$ off coupon. Staples coupons can be multiuse or one time use. just depends on how they are issued.

EDIT--please link to where the Staples website says "they do not take competitor coupons". first I've heard of that.

Thanks for all the answers

It's possible this may only refer to a specific program or something since I got to it via a direct google link, and I'm not sure what "sbd" means.
http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/help/yourorder/coupons.html

rated:
Can anyone explain the minimum $10 rule for ink cartridges? Let's say, in a single quarter, I were to buy FARewards batteries or avery binders or whatever adding up to more than $10, and only bring in 1 ink cartridge worth $2 in rewards. Would this still meet the $10 minimum for the quarter? Thanks in advance.

rated:
17111711 said:   Can anyone explain the minimum $10 rule for ink cartridges? Let's say, in a single quarter, I were to buy FARewards batteries or avery binders or whatever adding up to more than $10, and only bring in 1 ink cartridge worth $2 in rewards. Would this still meet the $10 minimum for the quarter? Thanks in advance.
Staples Rewards has two types of rewards and the two types of rewards are paid out separately:
--- purchase (10% back on ink, toner, paper, etc.; 100% back on some item, $X.XX back on some item, etc)
--- recycling ($2 per cart)

The $10 minimum payout only applies to purchase rewards and only purchase rewards are taken into account in meeting the $10 purchase rewards minimum.

Also, the $10 minimum is applied on a quarterly basis so once it is met for the quarter, the $10 minimum does not have to be met again and any rewards earned under $10 will be paid out in the month after the quarters end. For example, if you earn $10 in purchase rewards in January you will receive a purchase rewards payout of $10 in February and you do not have to meet the $10 minimum in February or March. If the total amount of purchase rewards earned in February and March is under $10 it will be paid out in April. The $10 minimum will of course have to be met for each of the following quarters.

There is no minimum payout for recycling. Recycle one cart in January, receive $2 recycling reward payout in February.

rated:
I did not return the item because is was plus 30 days when they did not pay on the second purchase.
I had assumed that the 30 limit would be my limitation so did not even try

Skipping 863 Messages...
rated:
mathfaster said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
mathfaster said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
  OK. Will do.

The reason I do not buy using the rewards at the time is for some reason all orders I do get cancelled...
I called and was told by a very stern lady that surely had testicles I am
coded  as a
coupon abuser....

What they do is, take the order, i get an order number, they never hit the card and the order number  never shows an an order I can inquire about. on line..
In others words, no such order....

IOW, the tangible signs of being BLACKLISTED for coupon abuse. IF you move that will go away as they use Billing address for blacklisting.

The workaround is to buy  online not using the rewards card.
All shipments are to the rewards address, but the rewards is added later.
That works.
Store buys using the rewards card are not effected.
9 out of 10 buys are instore, only online when the store does not have the item.....
Also if I let them (the store) order it for me, using the rewards the orders do go thru...

Interesting. Never seen that posted as a work around. Yeah, they never blacklist you from store purchases.

The issue over coupons was, when you could buy them on eBay, apparently they were photoshopped to indicate good on pc's, all were used on the store, but the register printed
GOOD ON FURNITURE
and the store still accepted them.
I hit them hard to resell, 2 or more laptops a day...
Those were all store buys but they did mark my account as COUPON ABUSE for online and I assume phone orders also.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014