• filter:
  • 14 5 67825
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
ottawa said:   The rewards system and the rebate system are not linked ... yet.
To be clear, does this mean we can earn rewards in one name while claiming rebates in another name and address? Not thinking fraudulently but a friend and I often carpool to Staples. My spending right now is way more and I should make Plus or Premier. If we could buy 2 reams of paper each, put all 4 on my Rewards account, while each claiming our own rebates, it would increase my chances of make Plus (and of cashing out the Rewards too). I assume that a limit of 2/person on FAR paper doesn't in itself limit earning the 10% Rewards.

If this is possible, does it matter whether in-store or online?

Since the rewards and rebate systems are not linked (yet), it does mean that rewards can be claimed by one person and the rebate(s) can be claimed by another person. It does not matter whether the purchase is in-store or online although I would lean toward doing this only for in-store purchases just in case there was an issue with a rebate as the name and address of the purchaser will be on the online receipt.

The 10% rewards on qualifying paper purchases is not limited by any rebate on such paper.

rated:
the name and address of the purchaser will be on the online receipt.
So pay cash too?

=aw

rated:
I have set up a script to put all your rebates on one page. It can be found here. The source code can be seen here. I realize some people are concerned about putting in their info into something like this, so if you're worried about it feel free to not use it. I mostly wrote it for me so I wouldn't have to keep clicking through each rebate all the time. It doesn't save any personal information, just gets the pages from the rebate site and formats them. You can see everything it does in the source code.

Edit: Huh, looks like I already posted about this earlier in the thread. Sorry for the repost.

rated:
ottawa said:   the name and address of the purchaser will be on the online receipt.
So pay cash too?

I think any payment type is OK for in-store purchases.

rated:
ottawa said:   
To be clear, does this mean we can earn rewards in one name while claiming rebates in another name and address?

bphv answered this, but I want to add: Seems safe to do today, but may not be good to make it a regular practice going forward.

If the day ever comes when Staples links their rebate and rewards databases they're not likely to make a public announcement. In fact, we'll probably first find out about it when someone posts on FW asking if anybody else has had multiple EZ Rebates or Rewards invalidated recently!

rated:
A question I was asked in-store that I thought was a good one:
Q: Do you have to file the rebates as income on your tax return each year since you make so much money on it?
Answer: No. The IRS considers this a price adjustment on a good purchased with after-tax dollars, even if you end up making money on the deal.
Think of it as a Roth IRA growing tax-free with after-tax dollars. Same concept.

rated:
Got a Staples purchase questions not so much about a rewards...

I bought a printer last month, and I was also able to get a credit for price adjustment ($54.04) and also turned in a printer for the recycling program ($50 credit) but I only see credit of $54.04. I'm thinking that is for a price adjustment but I don't see the printer recycle credit on my statement. It's been 2 weeks since so before I call Staples I'd like to find out which credit didn't come through. Anyone recycle a printer with Staples before, can you tell me which number shows up on your purchase details? I see a 442830 on my rewards site, Staples REFUND-MISC.NON TXBLE but i'm not sure if that's for the recycle or price adjustment.

Thanks

rated:
I'm not quite a noob, but I'm curious

(This wouldn't happen with Office Depot since their system is different)

I know that with Staples rewards, it's possible to have 1 account with multiple numbers on the cards/keychains

How would those people with the other/alternate numbers be sure if they've already done a FARewards promotion? The keychain tags are different...how would they be sure if they're on the same "account" as someone else from an organization or something? I mean, it's also "limit 1 per customer" Even if it's 1/account, who's confident that the account they have is the main one?

Just curious.

rated:
VivYip said:   I'm not quite a noob, but I'm curious

(This wouldn't happen with Office Depot since their system is different)

I know that with Staples rewards, it's possible to have 1 account with multiple numbers on the cards/keychains

How would those people with the other/alternate numbers be sure if they've already done a FARewards promotion? The keychain tags are different...how would they be sure if they're on the same "account" as someone else from an organization or something? I mean, it's also "limit 1 per customer" Even if it's 1/account, who's confident that the account they have is the main one?

Just curious.

unfortunately, there probably isn't a way unless all these people communicate with each other. If you're talking about a FArewards purchase that runs in one given sales week, say you bought the free after rewards batteries on a Sunday. Chances are it wouldn't be updated in the staplesrewards online system until Weds or Thur of that week at the earliest. If all the cardmembers on the main account/sub accounts have access to the online history, you could look there for some sort of verification, but again, during the same sales week, that's pretty tough to do.

If it's a months long promo, like the get $10 per HP Generic Ink Cart up to 3 promo they ran....hopefully looking 3 weeks later after the first person turned in these carts would give you the answers online to see it was already "redeemed".

Beyond that, I know of no other way to check and they certainly can't pull up that info at the store that I'm aware of.

rated:
If anyone's interested, I made this card to store my rewards information from Staples, OM, and OD. The front just has the basic rewards numbers/barcodes and on the back I put contact numbers for the three stores. It should be editable using fireworks or another program that can edit png files. Let me know if there's anything good to add and feel free to make it look nicer (and post the updated version for us).

When you join OD, they give you a coupon for a free lamination of your membership card. You may be able to get them to laminate one of these cards instead (or take the coupon to Staples and see if they will match it). Or just laminate it yourself if you took advantage of the fellowes laminator deal .

http://www.4shared.com/photo/t--AdN5D/file.html

rated:
jetsfan92588 said:   If anyone's interested, I made this card to store my rewards information from Staples, OM, and OD. The front just has the basic rewards numbers/barcodes and on the back I put contact numbers for the three stores. It should be editable using fireworks or another program that can edit png files. Let me know if there's anything good to add and feel free to make it look nicer (and post the updated version for us).

When you join OD, they give you a coupon for a free lamination of your membership card. You may be able to get them to laminate one of these cards instead (or take the coupon to Staples and see if they will match it). Or just laminate it yourself if you took advantage of the fellowes laminator deal .

http://www.4shared.com/photo/t--AdN5D/file.html

How long till this is transferred simply to a mobile phone with security for the 'page' as standard procedure. Or perhaps there's already an 'App'?

rated:
horizon6 said:   How long till this is transferred simply to a mobile phone with security for the 'page' as standard procedure. Or perhaps there's already an 'App'?Do mean something like the Key Ring app?

rated:
billrubin said:   horizon6 said:   How long till this is transferred simply to a mobile phone with security for the 'page' as standard procedure. Or perhaps there's already an 'App'?Do mean something like the Key Ring app?

Yes. Expected it happened already and expect we'll see more 'Apps' coming that are similar to the one you linked. As had not confirmed previously and have not explored security features of the one you linked, did not want to make the earlier comment in the absolute. Of course, the mobile device will probably replace the "key ring" too

rated:
For some reason, Staples' scanners cannot read barcodes on my phone. Not sure about OM or OD.

rated:
jetsfan92588 said:   For some reason, Staples' scanners cannot read barcodes on my phone. Not sure about OM or OD.
Key Ring App Help

Specifically, look for "Why won't my barcode scan at the store?" Staples obviously knows about it and I guess that is why the check-in coupons don't have barcodes.

rated:
Regarding the Staples App - does it provide generic or individualized coupon codes? Has anyone tried using the codes without their phone? I ask because I do not have the ability to get the app, but would like to get the coupons

rated:
Hi,

I don't have an adroid phone, so can someone tell me in what form is the coupon you get from the Staples android app? I'm wondering if my friend can download for me to use, or do you have to have the phone w/ you at the store?

Thanks for your help!

rated:
I apologize if this has been asked before. Can I purchase 10 software for FAR, have it shipped to a store for no sales tax, never pick item up and still receive rebate?
Thanks

rated:
mirijewelry said:   I apologize if this has been asked before. Can I purchase 10 software for FAR, have it shipped to a store for no sales tax, never pick item up and still receive rebate?
Thanks

Maybe you could have it shipped to someone else. Or ship it to a church or something in that area. Not worth the risk of having that Staples store return it back as "not picked up" if they do that.

rated:
I purchase an item with FAR using my $20 rewards. I got the rebate. Returned the item. Got refunded back to my CC including amount of my rewards. Easy money.

rated:
esquire415 said:   I purchase an item with FAR using my $20 rewards. I got the rebate. Returned the item. Got refunded back to my CC including amount of my rewards. Easy money.

Easy wrong.

rated:
horizon6 said:   esquire415 said:   I purchase an item with FAR using my $20 rewards. I got the rebate. Returned the item. Got refunded back to my CC including amount of my rewards. Easy money.

Easy wrong.

Also probably illegal, and definitely a way to put yourself on the short-list of those not allowed to participate in rebates/rewards. Not worth it IMO, you can profit enough from these deals as it is. Additionally, your not necessarily in the clear yet. They may still have the ability reverse the refund/re-present the transaction. I'd imagine that won't happen, but if you abuse it, count on them going back and reviewing all your old transactions.

rated:
I turned Premier recently (say, a couple of weeks ago... definitely some time in March). When I log into my Rewards account, it shows me as Premier, but shows me as being able to recycle only _10_ ink cartridges. Perhaps there is a delay in getting my ink cart cap moved up?? Has anyone else seen this discrepancy?

rated:
People have mentioned it (even some who have been premier since last year). It appears as if it's a website error/typo and not really an indication that you can only recycle 10 carts. If you haven't recycled carts yet for March, I'd to a Staples chat and ask them to confirm that you are premier and will get credit for recycling 20 carts for the month of March (and save a printout of that chat session).

rated:
Had a question regarding Staples coupons.....

A friend of mine gets them in the mail(usually a postcard or as part of a catalog). She never uses them, and gave me the codes to use. I noticed they have her rewards number within the 16 digit code. Is it safe to use these coupons, or is this a sure way to end up on the dreaded "blacklist"?

rated:
Howie said:   Had a question regarding Staples coupons.....

A friend of mine gets them in the mail(usually a postcard or as part of a catalog). She never uses them, and gave me the codes to use. I noticed they have her rewards number within the 16 digit code. Is it safe to use these coupons, or is this a sure way to end up on the dreaded "blacklist"?

If you use it once or twice a month, its probably safe. Overdoing any coupon, is grounds for getting your account flagged for review.

rated:
RE:
Overdoing any coupon, is grounds for getting your account flagged for review.

As I well know...and they are very subtle about it.
Orders (online) are taken, given an order number on the order screen.
They never send a confirmation eMail after.
The order numbers is non existent.
And they never even hit the CC.

rated:
New FAR offers until the 7th. Check out the Rebate Offer Number, it is differen't than last weeks even though the product is the same.

rated:
Can I go to a store, order software at the kiosk and use a $25 of $75 online only coupon and then pay at the register with a gift card? Can I pay at the register using rewards? Will the $25 of $75 be taken off if I pay with rewards and it brings it down below $75? If rewards are used online with the coupon, it would take away the $25 off, but if that was already applied at the kiosk, what would happen? Is there any harm in trying it out (would the coupon be permanently voided)?

rated:
Online coupon does not work with in-store payment.

rated:
c3 said:   Online coupon does not work with in-store payment.

Some coupons are for inshore or online only.
Are you talking about an online order from the store pc and set to
pay in store?

And it was not accepted.

rated:
Is getting your account flagged for Premier to recycle more ink cartridges in the month you qualify a YMMV thing? I am trying to make Premier in April and can do so this week using the $9.99 Trend Micro and a $25 off $75, but if I will not get Premier until May, then it may be best to wait to see if Staples will have FAR merchandise next week.

rated:
Anyone get a lag in updating their account to premiere? My account is over $1000 since right before April, and it still says rewards plus with 10 limit/month although the rewards I just got don't expire until 6 month down the line. Is that a plus thing or is there something lagging with updating to premiere?

rated:
mirijewelry said:   I apologize if this has been asked before. Can I purchase 10 software for FAR, have it shipped to a store for no sales tax, never pick item up and still receive rebate?
Thanks

If you're comfortable buying 10 of the software with no ability to return it, why not just do the download version?

rated:
I looked around but could not find anything on SER process. I checked my SER status and I am at "Validation complete" would I have gotten whether or rebate was rejected or accepted before or after that point. Im pretty sure the next step is "Check has been printed/mailed". Thank for any info you can pass my way.

rated:
snugglening said:   I looked around but could not find anything on SER process. I checked my SER status and I am at "Validation complete" would I have gotten whether or rebate was rejected or accepted before or after that point. Im pretty sure the next step is "Check has been printed/mailed". Thank for any info you can pass my way.

You're good.

rated:
billrubin said:   zgenerale said:   Use of Staples Rewards:
% off coupons are applied after application of Staples Rewards.

Pre-2011, the % coupons are taken off 1st and then the Staples Rewards, giving a bigger bite of that % coupon.

Sometime in [late 2010], the register reduces your purchase price by the Staples Rewards 1st and then the % off coupon (when using Rewards to pay the balance, it the % coupon can be significantly reduced, even down to $-0-).

That has not been my experience. I just used a 15% off my entire order coupon a couple of weeks ago along with 2 Rewards coupons, and I got the full 15% off each item.

Maybe you're talking about when they have the 10% off associates discount coupon. It's possible that reduces the base price of the item (although people have reported getting full Rewards when using that, so that may not be the case, either).

How does $dollar off coupons work? Do they work on the total before the rewards are applied or after rewards?

rated:
Don't think of the rewards as a coupon, it is a form of payment. You wouldn't try to give a coupon after you pay with cash, so don't don't think it will be any different after you pay with rewards.

rated:
Can you use a unique (16-digit) dollars-off coupon with a general (5-digit) dollars-off coupon in a single transaction? For example, a $25 off $75 with a $5 off $25? If so, does the pre-coupon subtotal need to be only $75, or must it be $100. or ?

rated:
yoregano said:   Can you use a unique (16-digit) dollars-off coupon with a general (5-digit) dollars-off coupon in a single transaction? For example, a $25 off $75 with a $5 off $25? If so, does the pre-coupon subtotal need to be only $75, or must it be $100. or ?
Generally, only one dollar off coupon -- non-product specific -- per order.

Some one else will have to comment on the interaction of app coupons.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014