• filter:
  • 18 9 10111223
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi guys:

I thought my rewards expired at the end of January (decent amount of $$$) and was going to go spend it today.

Then I noticed it expired on the 31st of December. Has anyone had luck getting the reward center to reissue or getting stores to accept the expired rewards?

Thanks!

rated:
Upto 7 days late, they ring up. Later than that, you need an over-ride. It's easier psychologically to be helped if you have a mailed one as opposed to a printed one. YMMV.

If you use an expiring one upto 3(?) days before, then the balance coupon has an expiration date of a month later.

rated:
aarzi said:   Upto 7 days late, they ring up. Later than that, you need an over-ride. It's easier psychologically to be helped if you have a mailed one as opposed to a printed one. YMMV.

If you use an expiring one upto 3(?) days before, then the balance coupon has an expiration date of a month later.
Other posts say 7 days within expiration date will extend any balance or refund coupon to the month following the date of expiration. Never done it personally.

rated:
If you're Premier they might re-issue w/ a new expiration date.
Last year while chatting I mentioned that CS issued Rewards expire in 90 days vs. usual 6 mo for Premier. CSR said if I ever had Rewards expire that I should call. "You're one of our best customers. We're going to take care of you."
I know I'm not one of their best customers (that would be yesidonoitall ) but it led me to believe that they might re-issue an expired Premier Reward.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   If you're Premier they might re-issue w/ a new expiration date.
Last year while chatting I mentioned that CS issued Rewards expire in 90 days vs. usual 6 mo for Premier. CSR said if I ever had Rewards expire that I should call. "You're one of our best customers. We're going to take care of you."
I know I'm not one of their best customers (that would be yesidonoitall ) but it led me to believe that they might re-issue an expired Premier Reward.

Not there best anymore, they will not knowingly sell me a laptop.
I have others buy but do the rebates with my rewards card...
So far so good.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   stellamcln said:   Today when I went to Staples to recycle 20 ink the cashier made a duplicate receipt and wrote something on top of it and deposited it in a drawer on the side. Does this mean anything and why would a Staples cashier do this if all you are doing is recycling ink and buying new HP ink?
I would say they are keeping track of who takes in what, maybe shortages in the past on the empties have occurred.
Do they actually count them? I bring them in in a plastic bag (from the produce section at the supermarket) and the cashiers never count them.

rated:
billrubin said:   Do they actually count them? I bring them in in a plastic bag (from the produce section at the supermarket) and the cashiers never count them.Some accept my count, others count for themselves.

rated:
MADWAD said:   Hi guys:

I thought my rewards expired at the end of January (decent amount of $$$) and was going to go spend it today.

Then I noticed it expired on the 31st of December. Has anyone had luck getting the reward center to reissue or getting stores to accept the expired rewards?

Thanks!

My store has always told me they accept expired Rewards - I've never tested it, but I've been told this by multiple employees, and the manager, so I have no reason to doubt they would if it came to it.

Maybe try redeeming them, and then if you get shot down, call Rewards CS.

rated:
Is there an advantage to buying through store kiosk then online or cashier when purchasing with ink recycling rewards?

rated:
BWS said:   Is there an advantage to buying through store kiosk then online or cashier when purchasing with ink recycling rewards?Yes. You can if the cashier will take it apply store only coupons to what is in effect an online order. Online coupons do not work in the store on a kiosk order. Also, you do not need to use the entire rewards check like you do online. If your purchase via the kiosk is less than the amount of your rewards you will get a balance coupon good on a future purchase when paying for a kiosk order in the store.

rated:
mathfaster said:   BWS said:   Is there an advantage to buying through store kiosk then online or cashier when purchasing with ink recycling rewards?Yes. You can if the cashier will take it apply store only coupons to what is in effect an online order. Online coupons do not work in the store on a kiosk order. Also, you do not need to use the entire rewards check like you do online. If your purchase via the kiosk is less than the amount of your rewards you will get a balance coupon good on a future purchase when paying for a kiosk order in the store.

Thanks. I thought there were some other advantages I was missing out on too but I guess not.

rated:
BWS said:   mathfaster said:   BWS said:   Is there an advantage to buying through store kiosk then online or cashier when purchasing with ink recycling rewards?Yes. You can if the cashier will take it apply store only coupons to what is in effect an online order. Online coupons do not work in the store on a kiosk order. Also, you do not need to use the entire rewards check like you do online. If your purchase via the kiosk is less than the amount of your rewards you will get a balance coupon good on a future purchase when paying for a kiosk order in the store.

Thanks. I thought there were some other advantages I was missing out on too but I guess not.
Well you also get to use Staples gift cards on an kiosk order when paying at the register whereas for an online purchase you cannot use Staples gift cards.

rated:
mathfaster said:   BWS said:   mathfaster said:   BWS said:   Is there an advantage to buying through store kiosk then online or cashier when purchasing with ink recycling rewards?Yes. You can if the cashier will take it apply store only coupons to what is in effect an online order. Online coupons do not work in the store on a kiosk order. Also, you do not need to use the entire rewards check like you do online. If your purchase via the kiosk is less than the amount of your rewards you will get a balance coupon good on a future purchase when paying for a kiosk order in the store.

Well you also get to use Staples gift cards on an kiosk order when paying at the register whereas for an online purchase you cannot use Staples gift cards.

Can you use ink rewards to purchase Staples gift cards online? How about in the store?

rated:
BWS said:   mathfaster said:   BWS said:   mathfaster said:   BWS said:   Is there an advantage to buying through store kiosk then online or cashier when purchasing with ink recycling rewards?Yes. You can if the cashier will take it apply store only coupons to what is in effect an online order. Online coupons do not work in the store on a kiosk order. Also, you do not need to use the entire rewards check like you do online. If your purchase via the kiosk is less than the amount of your rewards you will get a balance coupon good on a future purchase when paying for a kiosk order in the store.

Can you use ink rewards to purchase Staples gift cards online? How about in the store?
Against the T&Cs as printed on the bottom of your rewards voucher. Do it online too often and you will get banned. They may have changed the online system to disallow it but not sure as I have never done that. In the store, IIRC the register does not allow it.

rated:
Can I use the same paypal email for to different rewards accounts? (me and my dads)?

rated:
mastroadam said:   Can I use the same paypal email for to different rewards accounts? (me and my dads)?

Since you can link multiple emails to your paypal account, I've never tested this and there should be no need for you to test it either.

rated:
mastroadam said:   Can I use the same paypal email for to different rewards accounts? (me and my dads)?

That would be definitely asking for trouble.

rated:
mastroadam said:   Can I use the same paypal email for to different rewards accounts? (me and my dads)?FWIW, per another post out in the ethernet: "I currently have SERs for me and my girlfriend sent to the SAME PayPal account but two different physical addresses/email addresses. You would need to add the second email to your PayPal account so that both SERs payments go to the same place. I have been doing this for atleast 2 years now".

rated:
applegate123 said:   Does it matter what order rewards certificates are presented for payment when you expect a balance coupon? For example, you make a $50 purchase (no tax for discussion purposes). And then use 3 - $20 rewards certificates - one that expires 3/31, one that expires 4/30 and one that expires 5/31. What would the expiration date be on the Balance coupon that you receive for $10? Does presentation order matter?

While I am not sure on expiration dates, I know that the last time I had a couple reward coupons I wanted to use, despite me giving them to the cashier in a specific order, it used them in a different order. I had two sub 10 dollar balance coupons, a 40 dollar check, and a 80ish (or maybe higher) check, an my purchase was 70 bucks or so. I wanted to use up the two balance coupons and the 40 dollar check, and then cover the final remainder on the large reward check and get a balance coupon. They system re-ordered it and took the balance coupons and the 80 dollar check, and didn't even apply the 40 dollar check.

rated:
Coupon expiration policy -

Please see this thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1024179/

The above thread is 2-3 years old and the policy attached seems to be from 2008. Curious if anyone has an updated copy of this document?
What is current policy on expired coupons specifically?

thanks.

rated:
How long should recycled ink take before it shows up in the reward center? I recycled for the first time about 10 days ago, and I don't see it, although it's listed as updated up to 10/20. Thanks.

rated:
dbl118 said:   How long should recycled ink take before it shows up in the reward center? I recycled for the first time about 10 days ago, and I don't see it, although it's listed as updated up to 10/20. Thanks.
The rewards should have been noted by now. Be advised that the rewards site does not always note them in the proper place. Check under both "Ink Recycling Summary" and "Purchase Details".

rated:
bpvh said:   dbl118 said:   How long should recycled ink take before it shows up in the reward center? I recycled for the first time about 10 days ago, and I don't see it, although it's listed as updated up to 10/20. Thanks.
The rewards should have been noted by now. Be advised that the rewards site does not always note them in the proper place. Check under both "Ink Recycling Summary" and "Purchase Details".

Thanks. So they aren't there either. Is there any recourse or should I just recycle again taking the $2 loss? It was the manager of the store that had taken them last time.

rated:
dbl118 said:   Thanks. So they aren't there either. Is there any recourse or should I just recycle again taking the $2 loss? It was the manager of the store that had taken them last time.

You should have received a receipt when you turned them in.

rated:
I know this is a bit off topic, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread and I figured most/all of the FW Staples experts were here anyway.

Does anyone know Staples current policy on combining % off and $ off coupons? Or perhaps the better question is if anyone knows how the computers handle it by default.

I tried today to use the $20 off $75 breakroom coupon, then the 15% off coupon (I had picked up $5 in non-breakroom stuff). It didn't quite catch the exact math, but it took off very little when the cashier rang up the 15% off coupon (guessing 75 cents, but it seemed more like $1+, which made no sense to me). I know in the past this would have worked without issue (provided the cashier scanned both), but today, no dice. Any thoughts?

rated:
DoctorDeals said:   I know this is a bit off topic, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread and I figured most/all of the FW Staples experts were here anyway.

Does anyone know Staples current policy on combining % off and $ off coupons? Or perhaps the better question is if anyone knows how the computers handle it by default.

I tried today to use the $20 off $75 breakroom coupon, then the 15% off coupon (I had picked up $5 in non-breakroom stuff). It didn't quite catch the exact math, but it took off very little when the cashier rang up the 15% off coupon (guessing 75 cents, but it seemed more like $1+, which made no sense to me). I know in the past this would have worked without issue (provided the cashier scanned both), but today, no dice. Any thoughts?
It is becoming difficult these days to make generalizations about what coupon works with what. Many coupons (like the $1 off ream or photo paper) "attach" to the item and prevent other coupons from being attached. Some times this can be gotten around by switching the order of coupons and sometimes not. Most of these issues come up with product specific coupons and general coupons or two specific category coupons. There really are no general rules beyond the old percent and dollars off will generally combine but two dollars off or two percent off coupons rarely combine.

rated:
bpvh said:   "Staples Rewards accounts are limited to one account per eligible customer; each email address and mailing address are also limited to one account."

Have any of you had any experience creating multiple accounts to turn in more than 10 total per month? How strict is Staples about this use of the program? Is the use of multiple accounts really enforced as being against the rules or does Staples not really care about members having more than one account?

rated:
anberline said:   bpvh said:   "Staples Rewards accounts are limited to one account per eligible customer; each email address and mailing address are also limited to one account."

Have any of you had any experience creating multiple accounts to turn in more than 10 total per month? How strict is Staples about this use of the program? Is the use of multiple accounts really enforced as being against the rules or does Staples not really care about members having more than one account?
Use same address for 2 rewards accounts and they will be be automatically merged. Use rewards vouchers from 2 accounts in one transaction and those 2 rewards accounts will most likely get merged.

rated:
mathfaster said:   anberline said:   bpvh said:   "Staples Rewards accounts are limited to one account per eligible customer; each email address and mailing address are also limited to one account."

Use same address for 2 rewards accounts and they will be be automatically merged. Use rewards vouchers from 2 accounts in one transaction and those 2 rewards accounts will most likely get merged.

Is there a way to get around this restriction?

rated:
anberline said:   mathfaster said:   anberline said:   bpvh said:   "Staples Rewards accounts are limited to one account per eligible customer; each email address and mailing address are also limited to one account."

Use a different address. Do not use rewards from more than one account on a single purchase.

rated:
bpvh said:   anberline said:   mathfaster said:   anberline said:   bpvh said:   "Staples Rewards accounts are limited to one account per eligible customer; each email address and mailing address are also limited to one account."

Use a different address. Do not use rewards from more than one account on a single purchase.

I would imagine that doing this could be much more profitable than just using one account. Has anybody who's used multiple accounts (potentially with fake information) faced harsh repercussions from Staples besides their accounts being merged?

rated:
anberline said:   I would imagine that doing this could be much more profitable than just using one account. Has anybody who's used multiple accounts (potentially with fake information) faced harsh repercussions from Staples besides their accounts being merged?

[soap box on]
I don't know why people ask these questions? Has anyone stolen from the store and just gotten their hands slapped or faced harsh repercussions from Staples? Has anyone bought a new item and replaced with a broken item and returned it and gotten away with it or faced harsh repercussions? Has anyone killed a Staples employee and gotten away with it?

Why don't YOU try and tell us?
[/soap box off]
-d

rated:
dlong said:   anberline said:   I would imagine that doing this could be much more profitable than just using one account. Has anybody who's used multiple accounts (potentially with fake information) faced harsh repercussions from Staples besides their accounts being merged?

[soap box on]
I don't know why people ask these questions? Has anyone stolen from the store and just gotten their hands slapped or faced harsh repercussions from Staples? Has anyone bought a new item and replaced with a broken item and returned it and gotten away with it or faced harsh repercussions? Has anyone killed a Staples employee and gotten away with it?

Why don't YOU try and tell us?
[/soap box off]
-d

Hey, come onnn. Making multiple accounts isn't nearly as malicious as killing a Staples employee. I really wouldn't imagine that they'd look too negatively on people using multiple accounts. One person having a few accounts is basically the same as a bunch of people each having one account. Staples still makes money as they return the ink to HP or Canon or the manufacturer. If this rewards system turns out to be profitable, I really may consider trying out the system with a few different accounts to see how it turns out.

rated:
I didn't realize that Rewards are applied to online orders before some coupons (16-digit) and after some coupons (5-digit) until c3 posted in a recent thread.

@anberline-- this is a thread to help folks new to Staples. Do what you feel comfortable doing but this isn't the place to discuss it. thanks.

rated:
Has this happened to anyone? My rewards dashboard shows I am Premier, yet I do not have anywhere close to $1000 spend in 2013. I did buy $1000 worth of Visa gift cards back in Nov 2012 but that's irrelevant since it's last year and it's gift cards.

My YTD summary shows $400, which is accurate. I want to start ink recycling so the 10 cartridge difference is important. Should I just assume I'm Premier?

rated:
bioscm said:   Has this happened to anyone? My rewards dashboard shows I am Premier, yet I do not have anywhere close to $1000 spend in 2013. I did buy $1000 worth of Visa gift cards back in Nov 2012 but that's irrelevant since it's last year and it's gift cards.

My YTD summary shows $400, which is accurate. I want to start ink recycling so the 10 cartridge difference is important. Should I just assume I'm Premier?

It's happened to quite a few folks. The assumption is that its based on the Visa gift card purchases. Assume you're Premier.

rated:
bioscm said:   Has this happened to anyone? My rewards dashboard shows I am Premier, yet I do not have anywhere close to $1000 spend in 2013. I did buy $1000 worth of Visa gift cards back in Nov 2012 but that's irrelevant since it's last year and it's gift cards.
While I understand that purchases of gift cards should not qualify one for premier, sufficient purchases from last year do qualify one for premier in 2013 as $1000 or more in qualified purchases in 2012 would have made one premier for the rest of 2012 and all of 2013.

rated:
thanks for your input M4MC and bpvh

rated:
I believe this happened to me as well as I became Premier without (to my knowledge) anywhere near $1000 of purchases outside of gift cards.

I have already traded in ink last month (20 total) and gotten the site to reflect the rewards for that total.

So it would appear that if the site says you are premier - you are premier!

my4mainecoons said:   bioscm said:   Has this happened to anyone? My rewards dashboard shows I am Premier, yet I do not have anywhere close to $1000 spend in 2013. I did buy $1000 worth of Visa gift cards back in Nov 2012 but that's irrelevant since it's last year and it's gift cards.

It's happened to quite a few folks. The assumption is that its based on the Visa gift card purchases. Assume you're Premier.

rated:
Ok..must admit I did something really stupid today. I volunteered to buy my mother-in-law some ink today as I was going to Staples anyways. She gave me her rewards (they have a business and have a premier account). They asked for my rewards card and I just gave it to them without thinking... then proceeded to buy her ink with her rewards. Now I am afraid of telling her I may have screwed up her account. She is premier, I am not. I have about $20 in ink rewards on my account and she she has a gazillion. I hear they may likely merge accounts. Since hers is premier and longer established and mine is only about 6 months old. Will mine just disapper and hers remain the same? You dont know this lady.. I am very nervous!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014