• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
forbin4040 said:   Well the 1 Without Receipt is the 'naughty' one.
Unless you are talking about Gift Card Orders.

Return the others.

I'm on their bad boy list and won't allow me to return items over 90 days with cash receipts.  

Most of us naturally treat others and other businesses ethically.  But most don't appreciate having the ground rules changed w/o notification. That is the crux of my beef.   I will revise my HD buying habits accordingly, because I now know that HD would prefer alienating customers than informing them of the merchandise return game plan in advance.  HD never suggested or informed us of their revised return game plan that returns were monitored by a 3rd Party.  Their own return merchandise clerks even suggested getting a non-receipted HD store credit via recording license number rather than wasting time matching faded or cryptic receipts with multiple items.  They made it very easy to return and as a result I would always buy first and return later.   I could always use store credit. 

I never abused it by buying and using, and instead bought and returned unused packaged products after I had already paid them.  Since HD has just found a new way to lower their already pathetic customer service,  I'll be changing my buying habits.   I will buy more at locally owned hardware stores and lumber yards that have always had restrictive returns, but they had good service. An easy return policy was HD's only competitive advantage.

BTW - and this question is directed at FW administration.  Why when I search on FW forum for "Home Depot returns" I get no hit to this thread?   But if I search Google for Fat Wallet Home Depot Returns it is hit #2?  It seems the FW search engine omits when it should provide a hit. I've tried this several times. Maybe I should mark the thread as to follow.  

rated:
So basically you are mad that you tried to return 3 things outside of their normal return policy?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   So basically you are mad that you tried to return 3 things outside of their normal return policy?
I am ticked because HD changed their policy on returns without giving me a heads up that their policies were changing, and most importantly the tone of their action as stated is based upon activities that "mimic fraud and abuse".   http://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/ReturnActivityReport....

Businesses start accusing customers of this based on blind algorithms and it is going to upset customers.  Especially after said business just spilled my (and millions more) personal data information  and subjected me to fraud and abuse.  They screwed their customers and now are blindly accusing  them of bad behavior.   Why am I ticked?

They have a right to change their policy and customers have a right to be notified so they can change theirs.  I've never even heard of this "The Retail Equation" and this procedure of them calling the shots   

I belong to Costco instead of Sams because of their service and return policy. IMO Sams treats their customers like WalMart and not really as valued customers.  Sams will have one person at the service desk and could care less if 10 people were in line.  Doesn't work like that at Costco.

Home Depot has long had a lenient policy on unopened returns with a receipt and occasionally without a receipt, and they didn't care if the purchase was over 90 days.  As a result I was liberal with my purchasing habits and never hesitated buying as I might do at smaller hardware stores.  As a DIY homeowner I can go to just in time inventory if I must.  The contractors will pay a price and be affected.  Lowes has had a much more lenient 90 day return policy when HD was only 30 days and they are right next door to each other.

I don't want to beat this to death.  I'll make my buying adjustments.  As I said earlier this probably came about because I made a return of a number of smaller unopened unused things last year on many different receipts.  My normal MC credit card was replaced with a 2% Cash Back version and I no longer have it.  I gave the clerk the stack of receipts and the items because it is sometimes next to impossible to identify items with cryptic nomenclature on receipts.  I prefer to cross check the receipts and items so I know I am getting back what I paid.  As I recollect the return clerk, who was backed up with customers,  ended up clicking the items as not having receipts, took my license and gave me a store credit to speed things up.  Not knowing any better I was OK with it.

rated:
Simple question that I haven't been able to find an answer for — can I return items after 90 days with receipt for store credits/gift cards? THX

rated:
A friend of mine attempted to return some items to depot (~$300 worth, no reciept) after a remodel and got denied after the employee rang everything up. She had never returned anything to depot ever. So she called the number, they told her one of thr items wasnt returnable. Assuming it was the most expensive item ($150 light fixture) she went back couple days later, told the employee what RTE said, tried again without the light. Still denied. Included in her returns were 3 of the same small light fixtures as well, 2 rang up at $25, one at $20. She took a guess and they tried it again without the $20 one, and everything went through fine. Seemed odd to me. Granted i think she got lucky with an employee willing to deal with all of this.

Also, ive heard different versions from elsewhere on the internets and from depot employees as well. Can anyone confirm what is the limit for returns without receipt - 3 in 3 months? 3 in 6 months? Something different?

rated:
I believe it's a total of $125 per quarter.
So your friend had zero and they allowed the $200 return, but she won't be able to for at least 3 months.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I believe it's a total of $125 per quarter.
So your friend had zero and they allowed the $200 return, but she won't be able to for at least 3 months.

I have personally returned more than that over multilple returns without a receipt after a remodel, so i has to be either more money than that or more returns.

rated:
evercl92 said:   
forbin4040 said:   I believe it's a total of $125 per quarter.

I have personally returned more than that over multilple returns without a receipt after a remodel, so i has to be either more money than that or more returns.

TRE won't tell anyone how they score..haha

I tried at Target about 3 years ago, and after a couple of $25 returns I couldn't do it anymore for 3 months.

rated:
I don't know if they will disclose the actual score (which won't help you anyway without knowing the proprietary business rules for how retailers use those scores), but you can request your TRE activity report here:
https://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/ReturnActivityReport...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015