• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Toys R Us now requires ID for ALL returns. Including website returns. With or without a receipt.

rated:
mrsec123 said:   I cracked a $200 window I just bought from Home Depot driving home! help. what should i do? will they give me a replacement?
You could try it, the worst they can do is say no. I cracked a $10 mirror from HD driving home and had no problem returning it.

rated:
AbbaZabba said:   Toys R Us now requires ID for ALL returns. Including website returns. With or without a receipt.
  Yes but TRU cannot stop a return using a credit card.  Period.  It's in the Credit Card Rules.  If you return during the return period, then any credit card transaction must be credited, even if TRE (Not the same company) says no.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
AbbaZabba said:   Toys R Us now requires ID for ALL returns. Including website returns. With or without a receipt.
  Yes but TRU cannot stop a return using a credit card.  Period.  It's in the Credit Card Rules.  If you return during the return period, then any credit card transaction must be credited, even if TRE (Not the same company) says no.

Where in the credit card rules does it say that merchants are required to accept all returns within the return period with no other allowed restrictions for items paid with a CC?

rated:
mrsec123 said:   I cracked a $200 window I just bought from Home Depot driving home! help. what should i do? will they give me a replacement?
  Blame it on the paper boy? 

rated:
Virgil27 said:   mrsec123 said:   I cracked a $200 window I just bought from Home Depot driving home! help. what should i do? will they give me a replacement?Blame it on the paper boy? Or suck it up and drive more carefully next time.

rated:
jayK said:   
forbin4040 said:   

Where in the credit card rules does it say that merchants are required to accept all returns within the return period with no other allowed restrictions for items paid with a CC?

Pretty simple.  Any merchant that takes credit  cards must have some kind of Return Policy (Even if there is no returns).  Home Depot and Target Both publish their return policy in the stores (90-120 Days)

TRE allows HD and Target and TRU to violate that policy and deny a return even if with receipt. (Sorry TRE says no, so you can't return).  That in turn is a credit card violation.  Hence the CC holder now has the right to chargeback each and every transaction due to that policy.  So TRE doesn't affect credit card sales because it violates the T&C that they submitted to the credit card company and hence could open a slew of unfightable chargebacks.  Now if HD said we don't take returns at all then the CC would support them, but they are saying we don't take back sales from people we don't like, the CC companies will not allow that.

Here's a link to the short of it.

http://blog.unibulmerchantservices.com/credit-card-rules-for-ret... 

This TRE policy is RIPE for a class action lawsuit.  I am surprised that this hasn't happened yet.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Pretty simple.  Any merchant that takes credit  cards must have some kind of Return Policy (Even if there is no returns).
So all TRU would have to do is change their stated return policy to say that ID is now required for all returns.

HD's return policy says "The Home Depot uses a refund verification system. All returns are subject to system approval." Therefore if the system does not approve the return, you can't return the item as per HD's policy. This does not violate any CC agreement.
http://www.homedepot.com/c/Return_Policy

rated:
jayK said:   
forbin4040 said:   Pretty simple.  Any merchant that takes credit  cards must have some kind of Return Policy (Even if there is no returns).
So all TRU would have to do is change their stated return policy to say that ID is now required for all returns.

HD's return policy says "The Home Depot uses a refund verification system. All returns are subject to system approval." Therefore if the system does not approve the return, you can't return the item as per HD's policy. This does not violate any CC agreement.

You cut out something important and that made it wrong.

And this is what I found on their Return policy which is SLIGHTLY different than what you have

• We require a valid ID for non-receipted returns and returns generated from purchases made with store credits. The Home Depot uses a refund verification system. All returns are subject to system approval

No where there does it say CC's will be restricted.  However it doesn't say Gift Cards will be either (Just Store Credits).  

If you look at the high road of the TRE policy, it's really there to catch people who shoplift and return without receipt.  It allows stores to share a national database of people who do this regularly.
But doing it to people who buy on Gift Cards?  Oh please HD, that's too much.

rated:
I think you might be confusing two separate topics...your reply earlier was to a post about TRU requiring IDs for returns, then you mentioned that the CC agreement has rules that presumably say a retailer must abide by their return policy. My quote of HD's return policy indicates that retailers who use TRE already have this verbiage in their policy, ergo no violation of the CC agreement.

rated:
I'm saying that They have to say NO RETURNS, not fancy 'our system has to determine it'. Since they allow Returns, they will ALWAYS allow a credit card return. Period.

HD says they only check Store Credit but that's wrong, they check gift cards as well.

ToysRUS says they check ALL returns.  Lets see them try to decline a CC return.

Target says if item is opened OR doesn't have a receipt may be declined.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I'm saying that They have to say NO RETURNS, not fancy 'our system has to determine it'. Since they allow Returns, they will ALWAYS allow a credit card return. Period.
Source?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015