• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
forbin4040 said:   Well the 1 Without Receipt is the 'naughty' one.
Unless you are talking about Gift Card Orders.

Return the others.

I'm on their bad boy list and won't allow me to return items over 90 days with cash receipts.  

Most of us naturally treat others and other businesses ethically.  But most don't appreciate having the ground rules changed w/o notification. That is the crux of my beef.   I will revise my HD buying habits accordingly, because I now know that HD would prefer alienating customers than informing them of the merchandise return game plan in advance.  HD never suggested or informed us of their revised return game plan that returns were monitored by a 3rd Party.  Their own return merchandise clerks even suggested getting a non-receipted HD store credit via recording license number rather than wasting time matching faded or cryptic receipts with multiple items.  They made it very easy to return and as a result I would always buy first and return later.   I could always use store credit. 

I never abused it by buying and using, and instead bought and returned unused packaged products after I had already paid them.  Since HD has just found a new way to lower their already pathetic customer service,  I'll be changing my buying habits.   I will buy more at locally owned hardware stores and lumber yards that have always had restrictive returns, but they had good service. An easy return policy was HD's only competitive advantage.

BTW - and this question is directed at FW administration.  Why when I search on FW forum for "Home Depot returns" I get no hit to this thread?   But if I search Google for Fat Wallet Home Depot Returns it is hit #2?  It seems the FW search engine omits when it should provide a hit. I've tried this several times. Maybe I should mark the thread as to follow.  

rated:
So basically you are mad that you tried to return 3 things outside of their normal return policy?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   So basically you are mad that you tried to return 3 things outside of their normal return policy?
I am ticked because HD changed their policy on returns without giving me a heads up that their policies were changing, and most importantly the tone of their action as stated is based upon activities that "mimic fraud and abuse".   http://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/ReturnActivityReport....

Businesses start accusing customers of this based on blind algorithms and it is going to upset customers.  Especially after said business just spilled my (and millions more) personal data information  and subjected me to fraud and abuse.  They screwed their customers and now are blindly accusing  them of bad behavior.   Why am I ticked?

They have a right to change their policy and customers have a right to be notified so they can change theirs.  I've never even heard of this "The Retail Equation" and this procedure of them calling the shots   

I belong to Costco instead of Sams because of their service and return policy. IMO Sams treats their customers like WalMart and not really as valued customers.  Sams will have one person at the service desk and could care less if 10 people were in line.  Doesn't work like that at Costco.

Home Depot has long had a lenient policy on unopened returns with a receipt and occasionally without a receipt, and they didn't care if the purchase was over 90 days.  As a result I was liberal with my purchasing habits and never hesitated buying as I might do at smaller hardware stores.  As a DIY homeowner I can go to just in time inventory if I must.  The contractors will pay a price and be affected.  Lowes has had a much more lenient 90 day return policy when HD was only 30 days and they are right next door to each other.

I don't want to beat this to death.  I'll make my buying adjustments.  As I said earlier this probably came about because I made a return of a number of smaller unopened unused things last year on many different receipts.  My normal MC credit card was replaced with a 2% Cash Back version and I no longer have it.  I gave the clerk the stack of receipts and the items because it is sometimes next to impossible to identify items with cryptic nomenclature on receipts.  I prefer to cross check the receipts and items so I know I am getting back what I paid.  As I recollect the return clerk, who was backed up with customers,  ended up clicking the items as not having receipts, took my license and gave me a store credit to speed things up.  Not knowing any better I was OK with it.

rated:
Simple question that I haven't been able to find an answer for — can I return items after 90 days with receipt for store credits/gift cards? THX

rated:
A friend of mine attempted to return some items to depot (~$300 worth, no reciept) after a remodel and got denied after the employee rang everything up. She had never returned anything to depot ever. So she called the number, they told her one of thr items wasnt returnable. Assuming it was the most expensive item ($150 light fixture) she went back couple days later, told the employee what RTE said, tried again without the light. Still denied. Included in her returns were 3 of the same small light fixtures as well, 2 rang up at $25, one at $20. She took a guess and they tried it again without the $20 one, and everything went through fine. Seemed odd to me. Granted i think she got lucky with an employee willing to deal with all of this.

Also, ive heard different versions from elsewhere on the internets and from depot employees as well. Can anyone confirm what is the limit for returns without receipt - 3 in 3 months? 3 in 6 months? Something different?

rated:
I believe it's a total of $125 per quarter.
So your friend had zero and they allowed the $200 return, but she won't be able to for at least 3 months.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I believe it's a total of $125 per quarter.
So your friend had zero and they allowed the $200 return, but she won't be able to for at least 3 months.

I have personally returned more than that over multilple returns without a receipt after a remodel, so i has to be either more money than that or more returns.

rated:
evercl92 said:   
forbin4040 said:   I believe it's a total of $125 per quarter.

I have personally returned more than that over multilple returns without a receipt after a remodel, so i has to be either more money than that or more returns.

TRE won't tell anyone how they score..haha

I tried at Target about 3 years ago, and after a couple of $25 returns I couldn't do it anymore for 3 months.

rated:
I don't know if they will disclose the actual score (which won't help you anyway without knowing the proprietary business rules for how retailers use those scores), but you can request your TRE activity report here:
https://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/ReturnActivityReport...

rated:
Better yet, what if you are a cash customer?

rated:
jresque4 said:   Better yet, what if you are a cash customer?
  You buy and don't plan to return...anything to Home Depot.

rated:
First I apologize for the length of my post.... I am an avid DIY'er and easily make 100-200 purchases from HD every year (well up until now that is). Given the numerous amount of purchases that I make, my crazy schedule with 2 young kids and some down right laziness, I cant always find my receipts. Much of the time (when I have found time to go shopping for needed supplies) when I get home, the bag(s) of items get thrown wherever I end up at the moment that I am called to assist with watching the little ones or helping to make dinner etc. So the chances that my receipt ends up lost are fairly good. Luckily that hasn't been an issue 99% of the time since HD now offers emailed receipts (which I always choose when offered it). In the past year I may have had 3-4 returns without a receipt. For the last 2 months I have been in the process of planning and building a deck and have made numerous large (and small) purchases for various brackets , hardware, concrete, tools etc from HD totaling near $2500. Of this, we used about $1000 in gift cards (obtained legally through cashing in american express points which we saved up for our deck project). As it turns out the HD point of sale system does not offer emailed receipts for gift card purchases (or at least I was not offered the option). Today I tried to return $150 worth of unopened/unused supplies from my deck project and was denied the return (no receipt). I went home and called TRE and they said my return was denied due to suspected fraud. I requested my TRE report and sure hope that it shows something that obviously points to fraud because otherwise its going to be sent to HD corporate along with a letter letting them know where they can go shove their return policy.

HD knows that diyers account for a huge amount of their revenue. My guess is that it most likely rivals that of the actual contractors and businesses otherwise their marketing campaign would not be structured the way it is. It sounds like HD needs to have a sit down with TRE and rethink how they are tracking fraudulent purchases/returns and how they are choosing to ban certain customers from returns... either that change its entire business/marketing model and no longer cater to diyers because guess what... we are not contractors/businesses that know and track the exact type and amount of various products that we will need for our projects. We have hectic lives and our projects get fit into whatever pieces of free-time that we can find. This combination results in making wrong decisions and buying things that you ultimately don't need. Being that I am not a contractor, what am I to do with the $150 of deck materials that I am now stuck with? My house doesn't need 2 decks... I will be purchasing around $4000 of lumber and $10000 of trex and railing supplies for the deck soon and guess what... that business is going to another vender not HD. Maybe TRE should change its name to "The Revenue Eliminators".

rated:
What you're not seeing is how much fraud was prevented by TRE. I have no idea how much fraud was prevented, but it must be enough of a cost savings to warrant pissing off a legit customer now and then.

rated:
jresque4 said:   Better yet, what if you are a cash customer?

You can sign up for their Pro Xtra rewards program which is ridiculously easy to join online via the website.  We were just rejected trying to return $123 worth of stuff last week without explanation.  I came back on Saturday and tried to return $53 worth of stuff and was again rejected.  My wife came back with me Sunday and tried to return the same $53 worth of stuff and was also rejected.  We escalated to a store manager who told us it was probably because we had so many copper fittings in our return which are frequently stolen and returned for cash.  We had switched from credit cards to buying with cash after the big data breach and unfortunately we had no receipts.  The manager first told us we were out of luck but after we pressed a bit they offered us a discount at the register of $60 for that purchase only (not a store credit, a register discount).  

We have purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Home Depot over the years so we were quite disappointed at their new return policy.  Interestingly enough we studied the register receipt and each item had a max return value that was about 30% of the purchase price.  So even with the PRO Rewards I'm more likely to go to Lowe's from now on since they will take items back and are generally cleaner, better organized and friendlier to deal with.  The other bonus of not going to Home Depot is that Lowe's doesn't have those "in your face beeping cameras" down every aisle.  I can't stand the "bee-boop" sound every time I take a step in the tool or plumbing or electric aisles.  I find it difficult to concentrate when 20 cameras are constantly beeping at me.  I know that they have 200+ Cameras in the ceiling watching what I do but I don't even care as I am just shopping, not stealing things!  The beeping cameras are too invasive in my book.

rated:
jayK said:   What you're not seeing is how much fraud was prevented by TRE. I have no idea how much fraud was prevented, but it must be enough of a cost savings to warrant pissing off a legit customer now and then.
  True, and a very valid point.  However they only track returns and are not considering purchases in their algorithm.  It feels like HD is throwing the baby out with the bathwater by putting in a blanket policy like this.  

rated:
fatwalletesque14 said:   So even with the PRO Rewards I'm more likely to go to Lowe's from now on since they will take items back and are generally cleaner, better organized and friendlier to deal with. 

FYI, Lowe's also uses TRE for fraud management.

rated:
justyou said:   
forbin4040 said:   So basically you are mad that you tried to return 3 things outside of their normal return policy?
I am ticked because HD changed their policy on returns without giving me a heads up that their policies were changing, and most importantly the tone of their action as stated is based upon activities that "mimic fraud and abuse".   http://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/ReturnActivityReport.... 

Businesses start accusing customers of this based on blind algorithms and it is going to upset customers.  Especially after said business just spilled my (and millions more) personal data information  and subjected me to fraud and abuse.  They screwed their customers and now are blindly accusing  them of bad behavior.   Why am I ticked?

They have a right to change their policy and customers have a right to be notified so they can change theirs.  I've never even heard of this "The Retail Equation" and this procedure of them calling the shots   

I belong to Costco instead of Sams because of their service and return policy. IMO Sams treats their customers like WalMart and not really as valued customers.  Sams will have one person at the service desk and could care less if 10 people were in line.  Doesn't work like that at Costco.

Home Depot has long had a lenient policy on unopened returns with a receipt and occasionally without a receipt, and they didn't care if the purchase was over 90 days.  As a result I was liberal with my purchasing habits and never hesitated buying as I might do at smaller hardware stores.  As a DIY homeowner I can go to just in time inventory if I must.  The contractors will pay a price and be affected.  Lowes has had a much more lenient 90 day return policy when HD was only 30 days and they are right next door to each other.

I don't want to beat this to death.  I'll make my buying adjustments.  As I said earlier this probably came about because I made a return of a number of smaller unopened unused things last year on many different receipts.  My normal MC credit card was replaced with a 2% Cash Back version and I no longer have it.  I gave the clerk the stack of receipts and the items because it is sometimes next to impossible to identify items with cryptic nomenclature on receipts.  I prefer to cross check the receipts and items so I know I am getting back what I paid.  As I recollect the return clerk, who was backed up with customers,  ended up clicking the items as not having receipts, took my license and gave me a store credit to speed things up.  Not knowing any better I was OK with it.

And they ended up giving you about 50% to 60% of the original purchase price by going the no receipt option.  Home Depot used to only give you the lowest sale price that an item was listed for over the past 6 to 12 months if you did not have a receipt.  Their new return policy is to only give you 30% of the purchase price back.  Take a look at their new receipts, they have a "max return value" under each time (or is this just me because I've been a bad boy?)

rated:
JayK said: What you're not seeing is how much fraud was prevented by TRE. I have no idea how much fraud was prevented, but it must be enough of a cost savings to warrant pissing off a legit customer now and then.

I'm sure that the occasional disgruntled customer line is a standard part of the TRE sales pitch. Given the responses by the numerous people on this site alone it seems like this is becoming more common. My point is that TRE is not capable of properly identifying fraudulent activity. Given my hectic schedule and time constraints, I will shop where ever it is most convenient for me and that includes being able to make returns without a receipt if needed. At this point in time I have lost confidence in HD in this regard. I doubt my experience is rare among HD customers. As I said before HD marketing is aimed primarily at to do-it-yourselfers. We have day jobs and hectic lives. We need to be able to return unneeded items that we purchase for projects. When it comes to large investment home projects, who wants to gamble on the "You can return it ... maybe" policy? With policy enforcement such as this, it is clear that HD doesn't fully understand its customer base needs.

rated:
bankeny2 said:   
JayK said: What you're not seeing is how much fraud was prevented by TRE. I have no idea how much fraud was prevented, but it must be enough of a cost savings to warrant pissing off a legit customer now and then.

I'm sure that the occasional disgruntled customer line is a standard part of the TRE sales pitch. Given the responses by the numerous people on this site alone it seems like this is becoming more common. My point is that TRE is not capable of properly identifying fraudulent activity. Given my hectic schedule and time constraints, I will shop where ever it is most convenient for me and that includes being able to make returns without a receipt if needed. At this point in time I have lost confidence in HD in this regard. I doubt my experience is rare among HD customers. As I said before HD marketing is aimed primarily at to do-it-yourselfers. We have day jobs and hectic lives. We need to be able to return unneeded items that we purchase for projects. When it comes to large investment home projects, who wants to gamble on the "You can return it ... maybe" policy? With policy enforcement such as this, it is clear that HD doesn't fully understand its customer base needs.

Your experience is rare.
1) You buy GC's from eBay.  This is not a typical HD shopper. (It's a typical FWer though)
2) You return items.  This is also not a typical HD shopper.
3) You triggered the TRE system.  Also not a typical HD shopper.

They understand their customer base needs, they just don't want people who buy GC's to return things, period.

rated:
bankeny2 said:   Given the responses by the numerous people on this site alone it seems like this is becoming more common.
Does it? 296 replies in this thread vs. $83 billion in annual revenue?

My point is that TRE is not capable of properly identifying fraudulent activity.
Any fraud management solution will produce some false positives. My point is that without knowing how much TRE saved HD in fraud losses or the false positive rate, it's tough to reach an informed conclusion. All you have is anecdotal evidence.

It does sound like local HD management could do a better job overriding TRE decisions based on common sense, but I'm not sure how much authority they have.

rated:
forbin4040 said: I'm sure that the occasional disgruntled customer line is a standard part of the TRE sales pitch. Given the responses by the numerous people on this site alone it seems like this is becoming more common. My point is that TRE is not capable of properly identifying fraudulent activity. Given my hectic schedule and time constraints, I will shop where ever it is most convenient for me and that includes being able to make returns without a receipt if needed. At this point in time I have lost confidence in HD in this regard. I doubt my experience is rare among HD customers. As I said before HD marketing is aimed primarily at to do-it-yourselfers. We have day jobs and hectic lives. We need to be able to return unneeded items that we purchase for projects. When it comes to large investment home projects, who wants to gamble on the "You can return it ... maybe" policy? With policy enforcement such as this, it is clear that HD doesn't fully understand its customer base needs.

Your experience is rare.
1) You buy GC's from eBay. This is not a typical HD shopper. (It's a typical FWer though)
2) You return items. This is also not a typical HD shopper.
3) You triggered the TRE system. Also not a typical HD shopper.

They understand their customer base needs, they just don't want people who buy GC's to return things, period.

You obviously do not read posts.

1. I do get gift cards legitimately through american express via rewards points.
2. Stating that the typical HD shopper does not make returns has no basis. What is your data reference for this statement?
3. The TRE system is flawed. My return was legitimate. The store manager does not even have the authority to override the rejection. The managers should have this authority as they and their cashiers should generally know who their problem shoppers are and are going to know who their "regular" customers are as well. They most likely have regular internal meetings with their AP to discuss these issues. 
4. If HD does not want customers to be able to return items with GC's then they should state that or not offer them at all. Amex is a legitimate supplier of their GC's. Maybe I should also be complaining to Amex about HD's policy. 

rated:
bankeny2 said:   

You obviously do not read posts.

1. I do get gift cards legitimately through american express via rewards points.
2. Stating that the typical HD shopper does not make returns has no basis. What is your data reference for this statement?
3. The TRE system is flawed. My return was legitimate. The store manager does not even have the authority to override the rejection. The managers should have this authority as they and their cashiers should generally know who their problem shoppers are and are going to know who their "regular" customers are as well. They most likely have regular internal meetings with their AP to discuss these issues. 
4. If HD does not want customers to be able to return items with GC's then they should state that or not offer them at all. Amex is a legitimate supplier of their GC's. Maybe I should also be complaining to Amex about HD's policy. 

1) You right, I typed eBay and meant Amex.  That's still buying GC's and that's not typical HD shopper.
2) Well lets see...1-2 return lines, 10 Purchase lines.  That implies that 10%-20% of their shoppers return.  (Or Less).  That's means at least 80% of their purchasers don't return.  Hence it's not typical.
3) TRE is flawed.  If you follow the instructions and prove the email from Amex (Because HD cards are emailed) that you purchased the card legitimately then TRE will approve the return.
4) Actually they DO state it.  Please see discussion on previous page.  (They have a hidden exception for Credit Cards).  HD doesn't really have a good return policy.  It sucks big time.

And then
5) Always buy with a credit card at Home Depot.  They WILL take it back almost no questions asked.

rated:
Im going to stop using HD for my remolding co as well if im unable to return items that are unused I have no use for a co that is calling all of us theifs I spend 60k to 80k per year for products guess we will see how long it takes before a class action lawsuit will take to gat started in the mean time Lowes here I am coming back to you just wish they had a better gift card for gas perks guess I will do without

rated:
JUST A WARNING TO ALL Home Depot CONSUMERS, YOU ALSO COULD BE DENIED FROM ANY RETURN EVEN WITH A RECEIPT AT ANYTIME FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!! I ALSO WAS DENIED A $38 RETURN WITH MY RECEIPT FOR HAVING TOO MANY RETURNS WITH RECEIPTS IN THE LAST EIGHT MONTHS. THEY SHOULD HAVE ALSO TRACKED THE THOUSANDS I SPENT IN THEIR STORES REMODELING MY HOME!!! A NEW KITCHEN AND BATHROOM OVER FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS WITHIN THAT SAME YEAR OF MY FEW RETURNS!!! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER THING AT A Home Depot EVER AGAIN> IF THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL CUSTOMER APPRECIATION, THEN I'LL SHOP AT Lowe's.

rated:
lisaaiello said:   JUST A WARNING TO ALL Home Depot CONSUMERS, YOU ALSO COULD BE DENIED FROM ANY RETURN EVEN WITH A RECEIPT AT ANYTIME FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!! I ALSO WAS DENIED A $38 RETURN WITH MY RECEIPT FOR HAVING TOO MANY RETURNS WITH RECEIPTS IN THE LAST EIGHT MONTHS. THEY SHOULD HAVE ALSO TRACKED THE THOUSANDS I SPENT IN THEIR STORES REMODELING MY HOME!!! A NEW KITCHEN AND BATHROOM OVER FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS WITHIN THAT SAME YEAR OF MY FEW RETURNS!!! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER THING AT A Home Depot EVER AGAIN> IF THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL CUSTOMER APPRECIATION, THEN I'LL SHOP AT Lowe's.

Must've been gift card purchases.  They don't track user information on Credit Card purchases.

rated:
lisaaiello said:   I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER THING AT A Home Depot EVER AGAIN> IF THIS IS WHAT THEY CALL CUSTOMER APPRECIATION, THEN I'LL SHOP AT Lowe's.Is Home Depot the only store in your area that sells new keyboards?

rated:
They were gift card purchases. I guess the fuel perks aren't worth the hassle.

rated:
lisaaiello said:   They were gift card purchases. I guess the fuel perks aren't worth the hassle.
  Home Depot has one of the worst Gift Card return policies in the business.
Just use credit card with them and you will never have a return issue (They take back items without a receipt if bought on a credit card)

rated:
lisaaiello said:   They were gift card purchases. I guess the fuel perks aren't worth the hassle.
Yes. There are previous posts that people got returns denied when even partially paying with a gift card. That is why eventually there will be a class action and they will loose big. There is no way they can prevail with what they have been doing. There is no written policy that shoppers are made aware of that lets them know that using a gift card in your purchase can lead to a denial of the full purchase, even if 99% was paid with a credit card.

rated:
The system catches if the item is not from there store. I have my own company which has over one hundred men who have a company card approval over the phone to me and yesterday a customer backed out after we bought materials, my guy didn't know our number was for our pros account so when he told me he lost my ticket on an $8,000 purchase I wanted to fire him on the spot but after he came back with the returns I told him to just go home today and I would personally train him on how to conduct his full job, I went to hd last night and somehow the lady
did not give me the receipt and they also denied my return flagged me and don't even have an answer just puts a paper their system prints out, on top of all this the receipt is not readable..
So I think the small mom and pops hardware stores and supply companys are about to put Home Depot out of business at least for me I spent $25,6955,87 this year, it says on my pro's account and that's not including the guys who where in a hurry and forgot to put it on our account. I hope something happens on this boycott these idiots. If I had the time u would see my in the front of the boycott.

rated:
You can always pay the "Handy men" loitering around to do it.

rated:
Happened to me they froze me for 90 days when i tried to make a return
I have a Home Depot Commercial Card so i disputed the charge with the CC company about 10days later got a letter from the CC company telling me to talk to the store manager for a return credit
Went back to Homedepots return counter showed them the letter the girl rechecked the system and it seems that the CC company got the system cleared for me to do the return took my return done deal

rated:
Wow, first time reading this thread. It seems that buying Home Depot gift cards is a bad idea. I was thinking of converting some Amex MRs into Home Depot gift cards. Well, Home Depot, that ain't happening now. Seems like you just lost some business there.

P.S. I have used Home Depot gift cards for purchases before. Luckily, never had to return anything. But the last time I bought with a gift card, it didn't go so smooth. I mostly buy electronic gift cards, which I put in my phone for convenience. Well, the CSR at Home Depot wanted to KEEP a hardcopy of the gift card. I didn't understand this at all. Even if I had brought a hard copy of the e-gift card, I wouldn't have given it to them, since the balance was not completely used! And I wasn't going to be printing it over and over. The manager had to come, and eventually let the purchase go through. But said that next time I needed to bring it on a paper.

It seems like we need more customer protections when it comes to store gift cards. The savings from buying a 2nd hand gift card are nice, but there's a lot of abuse both from fraudsters and the store themselves. For example, I couldn't find a Walgreens physical gift card I bought, but I knew the number of the gift card and the PIN (good record keeping on my part). Well, Walgreens doesn't let you use your phone when redeeming gift cards at the store. And they don't provide a new gift card even if you have the number and PIN. Luckily, I found the card later on. Otherwise, I was going to be out $200.

rated:
I was reading a bit more on this TRE company, particularly on the BBB complaints website. Found some interesting info based on TRE replies to pissed off customers:

A case with Home Depot:

After thorough review of your RAR, The Home Depot has found that return ***************** was not in error. Please keep in mind that The Home Depot can retrieve receipt information if the original credit card, debit card or a blank check is present with the account numbers that were used to make the purchase. The use of store credits not issued directly to you or letting others use your store credits may also impact your ability to conduct returns. Also please note that store credit purchased items if returned are treated as non-receipted. If a valid receipt is presented and the item has not been purchased using store credits Home Depot will gladly refund the receipt.

· Utilize credit cards and customer agreements for purchases. When you have to return something the returns cashier can utilize the receipt look up function using the card or customer agreement numbers used in the original transaction.

· Also be aware that using store credits NOT issued to you may affect your ability to make NON-RECEIPTED returns or receipted returns purchased w/store credits.

· If you’re a contractor, sign up for Pro Loyalty Program. You may then utilize and maintain receipts on-line as well as other benefits.

· Maintain the original receipts for future returns

Regards,
The Retail Equation

Basically, this is saying DON'T USE Home Depot GIFT CARDS. I wonder then, why does Home Depot sells them?! Or why other companies (like Amex) associate with this BS.

Another complaint, which seems to be for a return at Rite Aid , has the following answer from TRE:

Business Response: Dear Mr. *********,

Thank you for your patience during this time. We understand you are requesting to have your information removed from our database. Unfortunately The Retail Equation does not have the authority nor the permission to do so. Please understand that The Retail Equation is contracted by **** *** to gather and store their return data. This information is used solely for return authorization purposes and only for **** ***. The information gathered by **** *** belongs to **** *** and not The Retail Equation. Please note, When making a return please use your Plenti card and if not available you can enter your phone number that is linked to your Plenti card. For **** ***’s return policy, please go to www.riteaid.com. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Group Vice President of Security for **** ***, *** *********, at ************.

Regards,
The Retail Equation

From their response, it seems like Plenti is associated with TRE, and most likely, is sharing information of returns to TRE. So, your returns at Rite Aid can bite you when you go to Home Depot, etc. This new info might persuade me to not join the Plenti program.

rated:
noelandres said:   
From their response, it seems like Plenti is associated with TRE, and most likely, is sharing information of returns to TRE. So, your returns at Rite Aid can bite you when you go to Home Depot, etc. This new info might persuade me to not join the Plenti program.

I read that differently, as 'use your Plenti card so that Rite Aid can look up your receipt', not that use of the Plenti program relates to the TRE report at all.

Also, according to TRE, they track data from each retailer separately and don't share or use information between retailers; though that does conflict with some anecdotal reports.

rated:
doveroftke said:   Also, according to TRE, they track data from each retailer separately and don't share or use information between retailers; though that does conflict with some anecdotal reports.
Are you referring to this FAQ answer?
https://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/FAQ

"2) Does the Verify Return Authorization System Share Consumer Data Among Retailers?

No. Although sharing consumer data among retailers is well-established for practices such as check and charge authorization, the Verify system does not share consumer data among retailers when authorizing return transactions."

To me, this means that TRE can still use its internal DB of consumer transactions from all participating retailers to make return authorization decisions as long as specific consumer data is not shared with the retailers themselves. Leveraging data from other retailers is one of the big selling points for TRE.

rated:
jayK said:   
doveroftke said:   Also, according to TRE, they track data from each retailer separately and don't share or use information between retailers; though that does conflict with some anecdotal reports.
Are you referring to this FAQ answer?

I was, and you make a very good point.

rated:
I sent TRE an email, this is what they wrote back:

"The Retail Equation is contracted by retailers to gather and store their return data, the data is used for return authorization purposes only for that specific retailer. Your return activity at one retailer has 0 effect on your return activity at a different retailer."

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016