• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Update from the OP: 3.5 months later I still got denied. Returned nothing during that waiting period. This time I kept the original of the robo-denial printout and here's what it says: This return has been denied and you will not be able to make further non-receipted returns or receipted returns with an original tender of store credit for a period of 90 days." etc. That confirms my theory that even though most of my returns last fall were receipted, the fact that I purchased store credit cards on the internet brought me to this situation. HD thinks bad of me because of the purchases that I made with their store credit card. They know my identity and they purposefully ask for people drivers licenses to keep track of this. Lowe's is my favorite store now and I barely, if ever step through the HD doors. When I called that silly TRE joint, the rep told me that HD pretty much blacklisted me indefinitely and 90 days waiting period is bogus. Lesson learned.

rated:
I work at Home Depot and you would not believe the number of scumbags that come in and return stolen merchandise, get a store credit and then sell it on the street to feed their dug habits. We also have a large crime ring operating in our area that finds these people a dime a dozen to do their dirty work. It's about time Home Depot and other retailers get tough and take a stand on this. Most honest people do keep their receipts, especially for larger purchases and have no problem returning items if needed. It's unfortunate that we all have to pay the price for the scums that are out there and steal from us

rated:
watsgr9 said:   I work at Home Depot and you would not believe the number of scumbags that come in and return stolen merchandise, get a store credit and then sell it on the street to feed their dug habits. We also have a large crime ring operating in our area that finds these people a dime a dozen to do their dirty work. It's about time Home Depot and other retailers get tough and take a stand on this. Most honest people do keep their receipts, especially for larger purchases and have no problem returning items if needed. It's unfortunate that we all have to pay the price for the scums that are out there and steal from us

Eff that. Smart consumers move to the stores that provide better service. It's not the customer's job to deal with HD's failed loss prevention program.

Granted, I'm the a-hole that won't let the door-monkey look at my receipt as I leave the store too.

rated:
I buy alot of things at Home Depot. When I do a project, I buy some of everything I might need, keep the receipts, and return what I did not use when I am done. Otherwise I would be going to the store 5 times. On Sunday, I bought some things on a Visa credit card and an indoor plant on a card for store credit. The plant had nats in the soil and I did not want them getting on my other plants. I had my receipt for the plant and attempted to return it. I also returned some other things on my credit card from other purchases and had receipts for all of them.

When they scanned the plant, they asked for my driver's license. The return of the plant was denied. Even though I had the receipt, because I bought it on a "store credit", they said it was like I was returning something without a receipt. At the bottom of the return receipt was a long description:

"We are sorry but this return has been denied and you will not be able to make further non-receipted returns or receipted returns with an original tender of store credit for a period of 90 days. After 90 days, your ability to make such returns will be re-evaluated."

It then went into the part about "The Retail Equation (TRE)". I called Home Depot's customer service. I was told that this is a new policy. The person said that I will not be able to make any returns even if I use my Visa credit card. I have to show that I keep more things that I buy than I return. If I don't do that, I will not be able to return anything for at least 90 days. They will "reevaluate" my status in 90 days. WOW! I always have my receipts. Rarely they are over 90 days old. If they are, the clerk just issues me a store credit. I am sad to say that I guess I will be shopping at Lowes more than I used to.

rated:
eldrose said:    I have to show that I keep more things that I buy than I return. If I don't do that, I will not be able to return anything for at least 90 days. They will "reevaluate" my status in 90 days. WOW! I always have my receipts. Rarely they are over 90 days old. If they are, the clerk just issues me a store credit. I am sad to say that I guess I will be shopping at Lowes more than I used to.

How would you show them you keep more things you buy than return? When you purchase you don't show them your driver license, and they can't just link names on credit cards to driver licenses. Would you have to show them receipts of things you buy in last 90 days in order to be re-evaluated for future returns?

They should re-evaluate their new policy....

rated:
I had a problem Saturday. I was returning $303 worth of light switches purchased with my Master Card for 295 + an $8.62 store credit. I was denied. My Wife got the store credit. The Clerk said the store credit had to be used by the same DL that it was issued to. So I got her license and the same thing.

Reading this thread doesn't sound good for a solution.

If I have to do I have an recourse through my Bank of America Master Card? I can't afford to get stuck with these now.

From what I read a Manager can't do anything?

Any thoughts?

Is there any use call Retail Equation?

rated:
pezgarden said:   I had a problem Saturday. I was returning $303 worth of light switches purchased with my Master Card for 295 + an $8.62 store credit. I was denied. My Wife got the store credit. The Clerk said the store credit had to be used by the same DL that it was issued to. So I got her license and the same thing.

Reading this thread doesn't sound good for a solution.

If I have to do I have an recourse through my Bank of America Master Card? I can't afford to get stuck with these now.

From what I read a Manager can't do anything?

Any thoughts?

Is there any use call Retail Equation?

If you can get this in writing, you may be able to do something. I'd also dispute the charge with BofA.

rated:
I wonder if AMEX return protection would be useful here? You could use store credits and pay part with AMEX? I'm guessing this might only cover the part paid with AMEX, but it still would be better than nothing.

Moral seems to be, don't use store credit to buy something unless you are da*n sure you are not going to need to return it.

rated:
crhptic said:   I wonder if AMEX return protection would be useful here? You could use store credits and pay part with AMEX? I'm guessing this might only cover the part paid with AMEX, but it still would be better than nothing.

Moral seems to be, don't use store credit to buy something unless you are da*n sure you are not going to need to return it.

AMEX membership benefits such as price/lost/return protection etc.. require that you pay for covered items in full with your eligible AMEX card. IOW, split payment transaction are ineligible for any AMEX member benefits.

rated:
This is somewhat old thread, but I would like to share my story.
I had purchased $200 worth of goods with credit card and paid $3 of it on store credit. I bought wrong thing and had to return about $80 worth of good and I had receipt. My return was declined because I used store credit to pay part of it and they will not allow any returns with my ID. I paid more in credit card than store credit, but I still get not thing back? Is this some sort of joke?
Store manager could not do anything, and knew nothing about it. He actually told me someone probably stole my ID and using it. LOL.

About 4 months has passed since above return. Today, I tried to return for store credit again. Again, they declined my return.
I was not in mood to argue with them and was hungry. So, I just left. They have no idea what is the reason for decline. They just know there is nothing they can do.

Maybe I will return them to Lowes if they have same items.

Now, I see some people paid with credit card only and had receipt and still got declined. Is this really true?
I have not done that yet, but if it is true, F U Home Depot.

Another thing I noticed a month ago. Home Depot used to accept return for items bought in different Home Depot (with receipt of course). Not anymore. I tried to return $300 worth of PT 1x4 that I had delivered to job site. I was told they cannot take receipt from different Home Depot and told me to return as store credit. Since I cannot return for store credit anymore, had to have co-worker return it.

rated:
H0me depot is giving Best Buy a run for its money in terms of sh!tty customer service

rated:
The ironic aspect of this is that these retail stores generally lose a lot more money to employee theft than customer theft.

rated:
ach1199 said:   crhptic said:   xit said:   You just reminded me of Target operations. I purchased some kids school clothing. The color of the polo shirt was not exactly right and I asked if I could swap colors. The woman at the counter would not allow a swap for a color tha matched the school requirements. She insisted on doing a "return", which made no sense to me. I let her do the return but I discovered the prices had gone up on the shirts. They didn't have the sizes I needed in the right colors so I did not purchase replacements there. I no longer purchase kids school clothing at Target for that reason.

You being upset over that makes no sense. They didn't have anything you wanted to exchange for anyway. Who cares if they would let you exchange or not or if the prices had gone up? Most stores would handle it the same way. If you bought something on sale at Kohl's and then wanted to go back and get a different size or color once the item was no longer on sale, they would not just do a swap, they would make you return and rebuy. Keep in mind that if prices have gone DOWN, this same policy applies and can work to your advantage.

At JCPenny, they allow exchange for different color/size without return/rebuy provided both items' original prices are the same. So, if purchased a small $5 t-shirt that has a regular price of $10 and later come back to exchange for a medium size that also has the original price of $10 then they'll simply let you exchange it. They have to ring in their system to generate a new receipt and to keep track of their inventory but they'll not penalize you for buying the wrong size in the first place.

And how is that working for them?

rated:
This recently happened to me after I had returned items in November-December for a client who was being cheated by the previous contractor. I took everything back to The Home Depot and got store credit and re-applied it to his home. In late-December, I was denied when I simply tried to return 3 sanding belts I didn't use. I had a store credit card and receipt, yet still denied.
I contacted TRE, they laughed. I called a few days later and the woman was rude so I called again to complain about her rude attitude and got the same person again!
Today, I was denied again 3 months after my 90 day penalty period was up.
I called the HQ in Atlanta. They agree that they are getting a lot of calls and CEO Frank Blake is aware of this but there is nothing they can do!??? So TRE is bigger than these clients, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc. I have spoken with a class action attorney and he has asked me to collect names. Their practice of information gathering and sharing has to satisfy several areas. One slip and they can be liable. Please send any names that wish to be a part of this to Andrea at PressInfo@mail.com
Sorry for the poor writing but I'm pretty pissed.

rated:
pressinfo said:   This recently happened to me after I had returned items in November-December for a client who was being cheated by the previous contractor. I took everything back to The Home Depot and got store credit and re-applied it to his home. In late-December, I was denied when I simply tried to return 3 sanding belts I didn't use. I had a store credit card and receipt, yet still denied.
I contacted TRE, they laughed. I called a few days later and the woman was rude so I called again to complain about her rude attitude and got the same person again!
Today, I was denied again 3 months after my 90 day penalty period was up.
I called the HQ in Atlanta. They agree that they are getting a lot of calls and CEO Frank Blake is aware of this but there is nothing they can do!??? So TRE is bigger than these clients, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc. I have spoken with a class action attorney and he has asked me to collect names. Their practice of information gathering and sharing has to satisfy several areas. One slip and they can be liable. Please send any names that wish to be a part of this to Andrea at PressInfo@mail.com
Sorry for the poor writing but I'm pretty pissed.

It is not that the HD HQ can't do anything; it is that they do not want to do anything for you because you are the type of pseudo-contractor abusing HD returns they are trying to eliminate in the first place. It is not HDs or any other retailer's place to cater to you simply because you either buy on impulse or simply plan poorly. If you were a real contractor working legit jobs above the table you would be buying through HD’s contractor desk where you are still allowed unlimited returns with no defined return period and no hassles. As for a class action: Against what? HDs current return policy states they have the right to refuse returns for customers they feel are abusing their return policy. If you don't like their policy show your distain and shop elsewhere.
Personally as one of many shoppers who pay for the abusive returns behavior of a few; I applaud retailers like HD for trying to eliminate the few who ruin it for others. While I don’t agree with the Return Exchange’s policies and the way they collect data I do favor limiting returns for those that obviously abuse the system either due to outright fraud or pure laziness on their part.

rated:
I'm glad you know my situation well enough to comment.
My ordeal began in November when I took over from a shady contractor. Old home owned by a doctor with deep pockets. Doctor showed up one day and found this house was used as a storage for the contractor who was over-billing the doctor. More doors bought than there were doorways, more windows than window spaces, etc. It amounted to several hundreds of dollars. I assured the doctor that I had a good relationship with Home Depot and I could return all of this and put the money back towards the old home.
I did this with no problem. Happy client.
One day the manager said there was a new process and to make certain I kept ALL receipts. One day before Christmas, I was returning a drum sander and returned 3 unused sanding pads (with the receipt being used over at tool rental). I was told that I could no longer return items to Home Depot without a receipt, despite the fact that I am a ProRewards client!!??
My clients ALWAYS get the receipts to know I'm not fluffing the numbers.
Using a media contact to check out The Retail Equation (TRE), I am told that I am listed as an abuser, a fraud and this information is shared among other retailers. I am being libeled because on further inquiries, this affects my credit score and will come back in a background check.
Yeah, I have a case and was simply looking to see others stories of other contractors. I have been very loyal to Home Depot (I know the names of every employee at my local store) and I guess Home Depot and I have a different idea of "loyalty".....

rated:
I don't know whether anyone suggested this -- I didn't bother reading three pages of posts -- but my new strategy for similar retailers, when using a gift card, is to charge $1 on plastic and then the rest on the gift card. This ensures that it will at least show up in their system with a credit card swipe, even if I don't have the receipt.

rated:
MrNutz said:   We returned a gift to Target a couple of days ago and they did the same with my license. I asked why he needed my license and he replied that each person is allowed only one non-receipt return per year. I guess a lot of places are tightening up.This is incorrect. There is no limit on the number of returns without a receipt, but they cannot exceed $70 in total each year.

rated:
It probably got denied largely because as you said, you buy the gift card things online... are you sure they aren't store credits? we have a HUGE problem with shoplifters returning items without receipts, getting a store credit, then turning around selling it online at a discount and making a profit. Because it tracks your I.D., the system will be able to tell if the store credit you used to make your purchase, was in fact issued to you. it is actually illegal for people to use store credits not issued to themselves.

I def agree... skip the discount thing and just use your credit card or other form of payment. Anything you save btw is probably lost when doing returns without receipts... Because without a receipt, you will only be refunded that item's cheapest selling price within the past year. So if something was on sale during Black Friday... and you bought it recently, it won't matter... you're still only gonna get that cheapest price. you can wind up losing ALOT of money in the long run... I know several contractors who regularly do returns without receipts and they are stunned when I tell them they only get the cheapest price from the past year...
The system has to do it automatically, no way to override it unless you have a receipt. because otherwise there's no way to prove you didn't buy it during the sale period... which if you did, and then return it for the full price, the store would be losing money.
Anyways... sorry that was long and drawn out haha.
i'm a HD cashier btw. I'm at the returns desk almost every day.

rated:
byoungoh said:   This is somewhat old thread, but I would like to share my story.
I had purchased $200 worth of goods with credit card and paid $3 of it on store credit. I bought wrong thing and had to return about $80 worth of good and I had receipt. My return was declined because I used store credit to pay part of it and they will not allow any returns with my ID. I paid more in credit card than store credit, but I still get not thing back? Is this some sort of joke?
Store manager could not do anything, and knew nothing about it. He actually told me someone probably stole my ID and using it. LOL.

About 4 months has passed since above return. Today, I tried to return for store credit again. Again, they declined my return.
I was not in mood to argue with them and was hungry. So, I just left. They have no idea what is the reason for decline. They just know there is nothing they can do.

Maybe I will return them to Lowes if they have same items.

Now, I see some people paid with credit card only and had receipt and still got declined. Is this really true?
I have not done that yet, but if it is true, F U Home Depot.

Another thing I noticed a month ago. Home Depot used to accept return for items bought in different Home Depot (with receipt of course). Not anymore. I tried to return $300 worth of PT 1x4 that I had delivered to job site. I was told they cannot take receipt from different Home Depot and told me to return as store credit. Since I cannot return for store credit anymore, had to have co-worker return it.

No, it is not true that if you paid with a credit card and you have a receipt it will be declined. UNLESS you are already banned from returns and it has been over 90 days since your credit card purchase. because after 90 days, all you can get is a store credit... which you are banned from getting.

Home Depot will take back any Home Depot item from any Home Depot store. whoever told you they can't was either new, or they need to be fired for effing with you.
and yes, even if you pay partially with a store credit, and mostly with a credit card, it was all done in the same transaction. there's no way for anyone to go back and separate the two, and only return the portion you paid for with your credit card. all on one reciept, all counts as possibly going back on a store credit if returned. After 90 days you really shouldn't be blocked anymore... did you try calling the phone number that is printed on the little "return denied" receipt?

rated:
I work at HD and occasionally process returns. Within the 90-day return period (with receipt) HD will accept returns of used and broken items. Liberal policy. Past 90 days returns of used or broken items are typically denied. Past 90 days (30 days for gas-powered items), items that carry a manufacturer's warranty should be handled through the manufacturer.

HD stores all transactions for 90 days. Receipts can be looked up by credit card, debit card or check. Receipts for purchases made with gift cards or store credits (or cash) cannot be looked up.

The returns process will allow the entry of multiple receipts and/or credit card numbers for a single return. So there's no need to match receipts to items. Just try not not come in every 6 months with hundreds of items and dozens of receipts. (Been there, done that. Not fun.)

HD will accept returns of any HD product at any store as long as the items were purchased at a regular register with a regular receipt. Stores will also accept items purchased online.

As stated above, HD has a major problem with shoplifted items being returned for store credits and the store credits being sold at discounts. One way to detect this is to monitor store credit returns to IDs that do not match the IDs submitted when the cards were issued. That's one of the things that TRE is doing.

The potential problems with non-receipted returns is obvious.

Items purchased at the Pro Desk or Service Sesk on 8 1/2 by 11 inch order forms can only be returned at the store at which the purchase was made. These purchases are stored on the store's in-house computer system, which other stores cannot access.

The returns computer system has no provision for overriding the denial of a return. None. The store manager has no way to accept a denied return, even if he wants to. There is also no way to override entering an ID number when the system requires one. Without an ID the return is voided.

And don't try buying a $700 generator before a major storm, using it to keep your basement dry, your food fresh and your lights on and then returning it when the sun comes back out. I've seen customers screaming at managers because the returned was refused. (They leave with their used generators.) Really folks, is that reasonable?

HD truly wants to provide excellent customer service. But no business can both tolerate unlimited fraud and maintain low prices (or continue to exist.)

rated:
This thread is too long. Can I still buy a large ladder and return it a week later with my receipt?

rated:
Used ladders are typically not accepted for return because of liability issues if there is hidden damage. Unused (still packaged) ladders are returnable.

rated:
Mainly the issue is that you are returns are triggering their systems and labeling you as "potential stealer" Not that you are. I am saying this bluntly. Your first and last name are registered into their system with your License ID. No matter what you buy if it has your CC, address, name, License number; you are asking for trouble. Ways around this?

Well, nothing good, cash, refuse to show your license, say you do not have one. I would not recommend getting anything not legal. It's the day and age we live in now. There is no privacy, you are a fool if you there is.

rated:
I work at HD - the driver's license requirement when you don't have a receipt is correct as outlined above, it identifies "serial returners" and potential thefts. Look on eBay at the amount of high dollar merchandise credits for auction out there. These thieves cost everyone money in the long run. They do come in with two or three kinds of ID also. They know all the tricks. HD (and other retailers) are just trying to stop some of this. BTW HD also does credit card look up, so if you buy your stuff on any credit card, they can scan the return back to your card. And also? The security cameras are there to monitor the cashiers AND the customers. If you are not doing anything wrong, you should not feel guilty. They are all OVER the store, not just at the returns desk!

rated:
dynojh said:   Look on eBay at the amount of high dollar merchandise credits for auction out there. These thieves cost everyone money in the long run. Remember that the people that buy the credits are a big part of the problem. No buyers, no profit for the scammers.

rated:
Went to HomeDepot today and was denied a return with a receipt. Need to wait 90 days this is crap. My information is private and sharing any part of my information with a third party company is wrong. Every State Attorney General should look into if your ID is public information or private, and if our License information is private. Stores should not be able to track this information. HD should provide in clear detail they are tracking Licenses and what they are sharing, and be shutdown if they are sharing private information. HD needs a sign saying no returns purchase-as-is so people beware. 100% satisfaction is out the window. I pay for everything and have many projects for my business & personal and this TRE Retail Equation trying to prevent fraud or whatever is a problem. I see a class action lawsuit coming with TRE they are acting like a credit agency and they are not. Using your Driver ID similar to Social Security should be regulated. Last I respect the right stores have that they have the right to refuse returns... however if you have a valid receipt and non open box/item you should never have problems.

rated:
HomeDepot is Home Crapo, I recommend a local Menards. (I hear Lowes does the same as HomeDepot...buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!!!) or you will end up in this sites database good, loyal, and bad customers: http://www.theretailequation.com. "Why The Retail Equation

The Retail Equation (TRE) is the choice of leading retailers to help optimize transactions at the point-of-return and point-of-sale. In fact, 10 of the Top 100 retailers and 6 retailers in the Fortune 500 employ solutions from TRE. With more than 17,000 stores contracted for our services, we have a presence in every mall in America.

Retailers who have optimized their return transactions through Return Rewards®—a software solution from The Retail Equation that achieves revenue lift by issuing targeted incentives following legitimate returns and exchanges—have increased consumer con- versions while reducing fraud and abuse, resulting in new sales increases of more than 1 percent."

rated:
Home Depot says their plants are guaranteed for a year.

I wonder if any jerks try to return their Tomato Plants in November, after a few hard freezes, and complain their plants "just died" ?

rated:
Thanks for info; I wonder if what you're saying can also be applied to banks. I recieved a check from someone drawn on a Bank of America checking account. I went there in person to make sure the check doesn't bounce, and the teller asked for my ID. I showed him my ID and he wanted to grab it and take it to the back room (didn't say for what), and I refused to let him do that, saying you can verify my identity right here but I don't want you take my ID with you. He then refused to cash the check.

xit said:   I'm not a big fan of providing my DL or other non public info to any retailer. I consider that to be a breach of privacy and totally unnecessary. I hate returning items but I like to know the retailer has a good return policy just in case I do need to return something. I generally hang on to the receipt. The day I'm required to provide a DL for a return is the day I stop shopping at a store. I didn't have to show a DL to purchase the item so why would I need allow them to collect non public info on a return. HD has just disempowered their employees and managers from doing the right thing for a customer.

OP could always open a compliant with the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse complaint center
https://www.privacyassociation.org/publications/prc_unveils_onli...
http://www.privacyrights.org/new-year-for-privacy-prc-launches-o...

rated:
Just happened to me as well. Tried to return unopened item, under 30 days and was denied. I am guessing it is because I purchased using gift cards (I acquired online at a discount). I guess the lesson there is not to use a store credit unless you are 100% sure on keeping it (which you can't be because what if it was already broken, etc)--- I was really shocked.
I wouldn't be surprised if a class-action happened at some point. I could literally walk into Home Depot, pick up 2 different sized bolts (unsure of size I needed for my car sitting in parking lot), confirm with manager that I can return the one that doesn't fit, pay with store credit, go to car and determine correct bolt, head back inside to return the other bolt and be denied.

rated:
Just happened to me as well. I had a receipt and everything. I bought with a gift card I got on eBay and they said nay. Called TRE and they are sending me my return activity report.

Almost makes me wonder if I should go back and say my wallet was stolen and I don't have ID. I do have the receipt and completely unopened packages. Anyone try that?

rated:
Maybe you guys should stop buying gift cards on eBay?

There is a reason there are so many of them flooding eBay... it's because they've been fraudulently acquired.

But I guess that would be too much to ask for, and god forbid people hold on to their receipts.

I don't blame Home Depot one bit for engaging in Loss prevention, normal customers that don't engage in shady practices won't notice a difference, and really if it helps cut down on theft and results in lower prices go ahead and check my receipts.

Theft and fraudulent returns hurts everyone involved and leads to higher prices.

rated:
I must have missed the facts behind your post. If the cards were fraudulently acquired, it would be very easy for Home Depot (or whomever) to turn it off and head all this off at the pass.

There are plenty of people who buy at Home Depot, return, get a store credit, buy more, return, etc and get blackballed. Are you saying that is fraudulent? I had my receipt. I had all my paperwork. If I was coming in and returning without a receipt all the time I would totally understand. I don't think I have ever returned to Home Depot without a receipt.

This doesn't just happen at Home Depot. Seeing reports of it happening at Victoria's Secret, Best Buy, The Children's Place, etc.

rated:
qube said:   I must have missed the facts behind your post. If the cards were fraudulently acquired, it would be very easy for Home Depot (or whomever) to turn it off and head all this off at the pass.

There are plenty of people who buy at Home Depot, return, get a store credit, buy more, return, etc and get blackballed. Are you saying that is fraudulent? I had my receipt. I had all my paperwork. If I was coming in and returning without a receipt all the time I would totally understand. I don't think I have ever returned to Home Depot without a receipt.

This doesn't just happen at Home Depot. Seeing reports of it happening at Victoria's Secret, Best Buy, The Children's Place, etc.

Actually no, because a lot of times the store credit is acquired fraudulently by stealing the items and then returning them.

Home Depot is attempting to track and eventually blackball repeat returners, and frankly I don't blame them given that returns actually cost businesses a LOT of money in labor and by ending up with product sitting on the shelf, that also couldn't be sold while you were "borrowing" it.

Contractors also don't have this issue because they go to the contractor's desk and can return whatever they end up not using on a job.

It doesn't just happen at Home Depot because it's not just a Home Depot problem, it's a retail issue, I'm sure Amazon or other online retail sites track your returns and eventually blackball you if it costs them more than you're worth.

rated:
Thats what i do and i been through 3 fake ids works everytime

rated:
busnut said:   The following is posted on the Retail Equation website:

"Isn’t Making a Return or Exchange a Right to Which Consumers are Entitled? No, returning merchandise is a privilege granted by each retailer to its customers, and it differs according to each retailer’s approach to the market. Depending on state law, retailers are required to post their return policies, but retailers are not required to accept merchandise returns." This does not sound right to me.

I just got back from HD trying to make a return WITH my receipt. The item I wanted to return ($4.99) was purchased on a HD $50.00 Gift Card that I PURCHASED at Kroger. I did not have the gift card with me (used it up & discarded). I was expecting my credit to be placed back onto a HD gift card, but NO! MY RETURN WAS DENIED. The date on my receipt was less than 60 days old. I ask to speak with the manager on duty. An operations manager comes over & states the same thing. I state LOUD & CLEAR that I am no longer going to shop at HD any longer - when a customer can no longer make a return at HD with a receipt in hand less than 2 months old & can not obtain a store credit.

I am going to email HD Corp. Ofc. as this is BS!

UPDATE: Received the following reply to my email:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care.

We can appreciate your concerns. In order to be fair and consistent with
all of our customers, we have chosen to follow this process company
wide.

I apologize that you may not agree with our policy and we do appreciate
your feedback. However this is in place to be consistent with all of our
customers and we do not make exceptions.

Thank you,

Grace M. Lemaine
Resolution Expeditor - Store Support Center - Email Team
The Home Depot l 2455 Paces Ferry Road l B-4 l Atlanta, GA 30339
Phone: (800) 654 0688 EXT 76269

rated:
this same daym thing just happened to me 10 minutes ago. I got denied trying to return items that were on a receipt in which i used store credit to pay for a part of the total purchase price!

Did anyone find a resolution? The only thing I can think of is to have someone else return this stuff so they scan their DL and not mine.

and then never shop at HD again.

rated:
Florida Law:

501.142 Retail sales establishments; preemption; notice of refund policy; exceptions; penalty.

(1) The regulation of refunds is preempted to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services notwithstanding any other law or local ordinance to the contrary. Every retail sales establishment offering goods for sale to the general public that offers no cash refund, credit refund, or exchange of merchandise must post a sign so stating at the point of sale. Failure of a retail sales establishment to exhibit a "no refund" sign under such circumstances at the point of sale shall mean that a refund or exchange policy exists, and the policy shall be presented in writing to the consumer upon request. Any retail establishment failing to comply with the provisions of this section shall grant to the consumer, upon request and proof of purchase, a refund on the merchandise, within 7 days of the date of purchase, provided the merchandise is unused and in the original carton, if one was furnished. Nothing herein shall prohibit a retail sales establishment from having a refund policy which exceeds the number of days specified herein. The department may adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to enforce the provisions of this section. However, this subsection does not prohibit a local government from enforcing the provisions established by this section or department rule.

(2) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale of food, perishable goods, goods which are custom made, goods which are custom altered at the request of the customer, or goods which cannot be resold by the merchant because of any law, rule, or regulation adopted by a governmental body.

(3) The department may enter an order doing one or more of the following if the department finds that a person has violated or is operating in violation of any of the provisions of this section or the rules or orders issued under this section:

(a) Issue a notice of noncompliance pursuant to s. 120.695.

(b) Impose an administrative fine not to exceed $100 for each violation.

(c) Direct the person to cease and desist specified activities.

(4) The administrative proceedings that could result in the entry of an order imposing any of the penalties specified in subsection (3) are governed by chapter 120.

(5) Any moneys recovered by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services as a penalty under this section shall be deposited in the General Inspection Trust Fund.

(6) Upon the first violation of this section, a local government may issue a written warning. Upon a second and any subsequent violation, a local government may impose a fine of up to $50 per violation. Any moneys recovered by the local government as a penalty under this section shall be deposited in the appropriate local account.

Is there any policy posted on Home Depot that some returns cannot be accepted? I know best buy post it for videos and such, or just 14 days for computers, etc. At least in Florida it would look like they are violating the law, as long as you try to return it within 7 days.

I don't see anything wrong if people are returning without receipts, but for them to deny 'some' customers with receipts the returns, then they should post something different on the walls, receipt, etc, when you make the purchase. If someone that has already been denied, purchases something with a gift card, and immediately walks over to customer service to return it, are they going to deny it based on their "However this is in place to be consistent with all of our customers and we do not make exceptions." BS, then there is something really rotten here.

rated:
I'm in CA.. not sure what to do next..

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014