MagicJack 1st Gen charges 29.99/year

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Got an email from MagicJack. It sucks.

Dear XXX,

As previously announced, on January 20, 2012, all magicJack renewal fees will increase. As a loyal customer, we wanted to give you an opportunity to renew at 2008- 2011 rates. Please review the chart below and renew today.

This offer is only available for the original magicJack and will expire in the next 48 hours, so please act today.
Click here to renew before the rates increase.

Regards,

Beth Walker,
magicJack

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wait a minute, "January 20, 2012"! And it's only the 19th today. Seems like in addition to the calling, you can also do time travel with MagicJack!

Yep, 1 day notice! I'm starting to have a nauseating feeling for MJ.

"Just $19.95 a year. $19.95 A YEAR!"
(until we raise the rates, that is)

is there anything equivalent to magic jack out there?

ooma is your best bet.

I have 2 Ooma devices at my home. I only pay about $3 a month in taxes, everything else is free. You have to buy an Ooma device and you can pay to port your phone number over. After that it is all savings.

I have a Magic Jack and got a deal on 5 years a couple years ago. I sent it to the in-laws who live in the Philippines, they have to keep the computer on if they want to receive calls from us with Ooma you don't have that problem. After the 5 years is up I will through the magic jack in the garbage.

There are better deals out there, example:

I have OBI110 with GoogleVoice. I pay zero, ZILTCH, nada, not even taxes. Totally free. The unit is only $45, way less than Ooma ($198). You can port your number as well. You can set it so the incoming calls ring your cellphone and home device at the same time. The main thing is, the OBI110 also works with bunch of other VOIP providers. If GoogleVoice ever shuts down, you can effortlessly connect to another near free provider the same day. And OBI110 can work with 2 VOIP companies at the same time, that is, it can manage by design 2 different phone numbers at different VOIP providers at the same time. Best $50 I ever spent.

Vola: http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp...

ebestbuy said:   is there anything equivalent to magic jack out there?I use an Obi with google voice. Nettalk is good, but also $29.95 per year. Nettalk has a smartphone app also.

After reading this I turned on the TV and saw them advertising the "Magic Jack plus" at $19.95 per year.

They may or may not be raising it's prices yet, but this sounds like false advertising.

BlueLetterD said:   There are better deals out there, example:

I have OBI110 with GoogleVoice. I pay zero, ZILTCH, nada, not even taxes. Totally free. The unit is only $45, way less than Ooma ($198). You can port your number as well. You can set it so the incoming calls ring your cellphone and home device at the same time. The main thing is, the OBI110 also works with bunch of other VOIP providers. If GoogleVoice ever shuts down, you can effortlessly connect to another near free provider the same day. And OBI110 can work with 2 VOIP companies at the same time, that is, it can manage by design 2 different phone numbers at different VOIP providers at the same time. Best $50 I ever spent.

Interesting... I've been a fan of NetTalk for a few years, but this adapter is less than theirs -- albeit a bit larger.

Go with nettalkDUO

or is it
netalkDUO

I received this email today. Isnt this notice for renewal only? I meant if my current contract is valid until Nov 2012 , this notice should not affect me unless I want to renew the service for further years right?

BlueLetterD said:   There are better deals out there, example:

I think it was BLueLetterD that turned me onto ObiHai.

Our household only has cell phones, and we'd occasionally have a household member leave their phone in the car or on vibrate and have no way to get ahold of them at home. An Obihai was the perfect solution for us. There is both an Android and iPhone software client for Obihai. We hooked up a regular house phone to it and set up the software clients on the phones. Now if one of us knows that the other is at the house we can call the Obihai and ring the house phone! Its fixed our problem!

Voice quality is surprisingly good even over 3G for the mobile user. There is a tiny bit of latency and the house phone user has just a bit of echo (maybe fixable with tweaking), but works great for us. We're not using Google Voice. Also, we don't have to tie a phone number to the Obihai which means ZERO telemarketing calls to the house phone.

Even though my Jan 20th email stated that "This offer is only available for the original magicJack and will expire in the next 48 hours", Today (01/24/12 Noon CST), I was able to click on the link and extend 5 Years for $69.95 + tax. I am a little circumspect about the 5 year extension... oh well.
FWIW, I thought I would let the fellow FWers know that the deal is still on.
dallasburn

Dear Beth, I don't know what's happened with my MagicJack reneweal?

I would like to ensure that my MagicJack renewal was made OK for one year more. Because there's no movement in my credit card? and today my bank told me that all installments were canceled??

My MJ number is 786-468-8368 and my account ID 16514085

I will appreciate your answer
Best regards

Ariel, in the name of Crescencio

Pd: below my mails to you
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To: ariel_febles@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 02:29:45 -0800
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. no-reply@magicjack.com

--Archivo adjunto de mensaje reenviado--
To: no-reply@magicjack.com
Subject: RE: Immediate Attention Required
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:29:33 +0100

Dear Beth,
I have already renewed my Magic Jack for one year more. But at the moment of paying your web referred to me a payment error?!

I have just consulted my bank about that, and told me that's OK. The only problem is that the payment was made twice, so I ask you to release the second installment.

Best Regards
Ariel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 04:21:35 -0500
To: ariel_febles@HOTMAIL.COM
CC:
Subject: Immediate Attention Required

magicJack PLUS .ExternalClass {font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;padding:0px;color:#333;background-color:#D2D8DA;} .ExternalClass table, .ExternalClass td, .ExternalClass th {font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;padding:10px;color:#333;text-decoration:none;} .ExternalClass strong.ecxc1 {color:#F00;}

Dear MOREIRA CRESCENCIO,
As previously announced, on January 20, 2012, all magicJack renewal fees will increase. As a loyal customer, we wanted to give you an opportunity to renew at 2008- 2011 rates. Please review the chart below and renew today.
This offer is only available for the original magicJack and will expire in the next 48 hours, so please act today.
Click here to renew before the rates increase.
Regards,
Beth Walker,
magicJack

You have received this message to update you of important customer care information and to inform you of your ability to renew your service.
If you do not want to receive any sales offers in the future you may unsubscribe here at any time  you may still receive service related emails.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014