• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am members of both clubs. The latter one is free. The former I have been paying for years in CA for myself & my spouse at the 2nd level tier for I believe $149 a year. We used it most recently in Jan last year when my wife's car broke down (fuel pump died) and we had to get it towed.
AAA is convenient when you need it but when you don't, you're paying for nothing.

We have 3 old cars in our household that are suprisingly reliable b/c we do the required minimum oil changes once/year and don't drive any car more than 5000 miles a year.

I'm wondering if anyone has yet used the services of the Allstate Roadside Assistance and wondered how comparable it was to having AAA? Are the response times similar? What amount did you pay for services used? Do you regret giving up AAA?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

When retail towing companies get busy, such as during rush hour or during a storm, they give top priority to AAA customers and will answer their calls before anyone else's, even people who called hours ahead of the AAA customers. So either join AAA or keep the phone numbers of some towing companies that primarily handle commercial vehicles. In the Phoenix area, one such commercial towing firm is Shamrock Towing (can tow anything from a Smart Car to a Mac truck).

In a past thread, someone mentioned that using your insurance's roadside program may negatively affect your premium. That's something you will want to research.

Another consideration - many other roadside assistance companies have you pay at the time then get reimbursed. AAA = no cash on scene.

Instead of thinking of it like a service you are paying for and not getting any benefits - I always think of it like insurance. Of course if you do use the other services (maps, discounts, etc) you can easily recoup your annual expense.

I just always assume that my insurance company's roadside assistance will ding my CLUE report, and based on the reports of others, this is too often the case.

It depends on your region, but AAA insurance rates can be very, very low. Bundling nearly all our insurance through AAA was 20% cheaper than the next best quote we could get elsewhere.

AAA will tow your car to your repair place of choice ... not limited to "Joe's tow to Joe's Place." type operation which keeps you captive while they repair when they get around to it at who knows what price by who knows how skilled.

Yes, I pay a tad extra so AAA will tow up to 100 miles. That is far more than I need today, but if I go fishing out a ways, I'm still covered. We did have a case where we went just over the 100 miles. I was glad they picked up the first 100. (so was my wallet).

For us, AAA is much more than roadside assistance, insurance - deals on travel (car rentals), discounts at amusements, random stores, dmv services, etc.

allstate also taps into your towing on youer auto insurance policy when you use their system and in Pa I was hijacked by one of their senders on a tire change they charged me an additional 85 dollars to change a tire on a weekday during business hours. When I submitted the 85 dollar overcharge is when I found out about the 50 coming off my towing so I've already used it on this service call.

It might be different in other states but, I found that the 2 times I needed them in Pa their assistance was shotty. The first time they dispatched someone who refused to tow my car untill it was morning. Called at 1 am waited forever(35 to 40 mins) to be told that I should leave keys in the car and seek a ride home.

I will throw their cards away and use my towing on my cell service.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014