• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
"JCPenney" are really making a big deal about a massive "change" and new pricing happening on 2.1.12. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it's going to be, but anyway thought i'd give you folks a heads up in case you didn't hear already. Might be worth checking out:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2012/01/26/why-jcpenney-...

For more sale info, they head you out to their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/jcp

*edited title and removed the word "sale" to better reflect the "Things are changing".

Added:
"Here’s how Penney’s pricing strategy will work:

- Sale prices become everyday prices. The company will use sales data from last year to slash prices on all merchandise at least 40 percent or lower than the previous year’s prices. So, a woman’s St. John’s Bay blouse regularly priced at $14.99 could have the “Every Day” price of $7.

- Fewer sales. The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a “Month-Long Value.” For instance, jewelry and Valentine’s Day gifts would go on sale in February, while Christmas decorations would be discounted in November. Items that don’t sell well would go on clearance during the first and third Friday of every month when many Americans get paid. Those items will be tagged “Best Prices,” signaling to customers that’s the cheapest price.

- New tags. The retailer used to pile stickers on price tags to indicate each time an item was marked down. But now each time an item gets a new price, it gets a new tag too. A red tag indicates an “Every Day” price, a white tag a “Month-Long Value” and a blue tag a “Best Price.”

- Simpler pricing. Penney will use whole figures when pricing items. In other words, you won’t see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $19 or $20."

Member Summary

JCPenny
Thanks duewrite
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I have to buy a specific, fairly inexpensive (polyester, yuck), suit as part of a wedding party in April. The website h... (more)

cathammer (Feb. 01, 2012 @ 9:15p) |

Not a good start, by the few reports so far. Hope things get better. Don't shoot the messenger!

turtoni (Feb. 02, 2012 @ 1:02a) |

That's why I rarely shop at department stores. If I do, it is usually an online deal I see on here. I prefer Outlet Stor... (more)

kiteguru (Feb. 02, 2012 @ 10:07a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks!!!

more suited for discussion forum,.. not a "Hot Deal"

"J.C. Penney — now being referred to as jcpenney — is implementing a new pricing strategy, slashing prices up to 40% with to keep them that way year round. " referenced from your cited Forbes article

no more sales, promotions, $10 off purchase coupons

hmm, so moving away from the full price seasonal and 75% off after season format... makes sense -- I haven't bought anything full priced there in years.

The guy who designed the Apple Store is now in charge of jcp. There will also be a large reduction in inventory and something called town square.

Ok, it moved to deal discussion. Sorry for originally posting to the wrong forum.

Helpful to spell correctly JCPennEy for searching purposes

rozzer said:   Helpful to spell correctly JCPennEy for searching purposes

Oops, thankyou. Fixed.

For more sale info, they head you out to their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/jcp

$90.00 msrp tag arizona zipup hoodie? I hope this is not the pricing strategy they are talking about. I thought they were calling me stupid.
"building a dream team with Ron Johnson — the man who launched Apple‘s retail stores", well I give up, stores going to crap.

Wow. My late grandfather, many many years ago, was Executive VP of the company (yes, it was profitable when he was there). I can't believe this. At least they're changing the name so James Cash Penney won't have to roll over in his grave. I hope it works out: My grandmother still gets a chunk of income from the stock.

Thanks KMCherry for the trivia question I will use tonight James Cash Penney

Logo
Disclaimer
New logo makes me wonder why they didn't just rename the store JCP.

http://www.wbir.com/rss/article/202456/2/JC-Penney-to-permanentl...

"JC Penney said it is permanently marking down all of its merchandise by at least 40%. The retail chain has five Knoxville area locations including West Town Mall.

The company said it is cutting prices so shoppers won't have to wait for a sale to get the lowest prices.

On February 1st, the store is rolling out a three tired strategy. It offers every day low pricing, monthly value discounts on select merchandise and clearance deals called Best Price during the first and third Friday of each month.

There will also be new tags to reflect the changes and the retailer said prices will be simpler, instead of something being &19.99, it will just be $19."

Do most people not realize that JCP, Kohl's, et al. raise their retail prices dramatically so they can make ridiculous claims that they are taking 40-60% off storewide?

How about having staffpeople who say things other than: "I don't know"? That would be a massive change!

This is the guy, Roh Johnson, the CEO who got paid whoooping $51 M in 2011 - Now wants to slash prices in an attempt to revamp 1100 stores. Way to go. Another bankruptcy will be looming in the future (3-5 yrs from now) once these CEOs drain hundreds of millions of dollars every year from this company.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/story/2012-01...

KMCHERRY said:   Wow. My late grandfather, many many years ago, was Executive VP of the company (yes, it was profitable when he was there). I can't believe this. At least they're changing the name so James Cash Penney won't have to roll over in his grave. I hope it works out: My grandmother still gets a chunk of income from the stock.

Wow, that's very cool. I think they're making a good decision with this major overhaul. Let's hope it works out for everybody involved. Looking forward to 2.1.12 to see that they're going to be offering up to start things rolling.

I hope they don't follow Kohl's lead where they jack up the price 100% and then have "reductions" every week for 50%. What a joke.

hollywould said:I hope they don't follow Kohl's lead where they jack up the price 100% and then have "reductions" every week for 50%. What a joke.
That was Penney's strategy -- witness the giant weekly newspaper circulars -- and now they are supposedly moving away from that. I'm bummed...I'd do great with sales, $$ off coupons, and platinum rewards all combined, and now I'll probably end up paying more. Presumably that's their goal...

I'm waiting on some items to go on sale that for most of the year are priced there at $35.
These items go on sale two or three times a year for $20 - $25. I won't buy them any other time.
If there normal price becomes $21 (40% off of $35) I would buy now instead of waiting.

This new pricing strategy would get more of my money since if I miss a sale I just wait for the next one.

i think it's just a hustle, just like Wal-Mart and costco, so many things are a terrible deal at those places but you see people load up on them just because windshield washer fluid is only 25 cents then everything in this dump must be a good deal

I love a great deal ! I don't believe in paying full price for anything. So if this new JCP thing works, I' m on board. Otherwise, I'll continue to go to JCP when there is some thing specific I need from there.

I love a great deal ! I don't believe in paying full price for anything. So if this new JCP thing works, I' m on board. Otherwise, I'll continue to go to JCP when there is some thing specific I need from there.

I was there today. There was a display of maybe 75 women's coats/jackets in the aisle. They didn't look like clearance, where you would expect to see odd quantities of sizes/colors. There was a display sign on each rack that said "$40 or less" or "$50 or less." I looked at price tags there, assuming that they were marked down, and expected to see something like "$180 (scratch that), $120 (scratch that), $60 (scratch that), $50." Instead there were just little blue square tags that said, straight up, $40 (or $50 or whatever). Subjectively, the prices seemed very good to me for the items. I had been shopping for a winter coat in several places today, so I have a much better idea of what would be a good price than I ordinarily would have.

{I ended up not actually buying a coat there, just because I don't care for the fur-trimmed hoods, which most of those had. I eventually bought one at Sears which was $160, clearanced $80, minus 30% on all clearance=$56...then God bless the cashier who whipped out a 15%-off newspaper coupon for me, so coat was $48...and I'll get my AMEX Cash Back and Shop Your Way Rewards. I'm explaining all this not to brag somehow, but just to highlight the craziness of the game JCP says it's quitting.}

They are removing the Retail Pricing and the deepely discounted closeout pricing. They will have only one unchanging price - in the middle between retail and closeout - it will never change. Although there is still the question of what will they do with product that refuses to sell.

If they are following the WalMart, everyday low pricing, they had better include Price Matching. Although in most cases they don`t sell the same brands as others.

If a store does not have a winning stragedy to get you to buy from them (but still make a profit), they go out of business. Human buying decisions is too complicated for every day Pricing by itself to work.

All I know...is their commercial with various people screaming has me catapulting over the couch to get to the remote-I keep saying let's stick their ad execs in a room with a continuous loop of their commercial.
This reminds me of what Montgomery Wards did in the end too.

skh12 said:   i think it's just a hustle, just like Wal-Mart and costco, so many things are a terrible deal at those places but you see people load up on them just because windshield washer fluid is only 25 cents then everything in this dump must be a good deal

25 cents each? This needs to be posted in Hot Deals!

"Johnson plans to revamp stores and create a town square and main street feel with dozens of shops featuring the store’s brands. It’s certainly one way to differentiate and create a more interesting experience."

"Johnson isn’t implementing every day low pricing (EDLP) like WalMart. Instead, it’s a tiered pricing strategy to offer shoppers a consistently low price and then run month-long featured shopping events.

Prices will no longer end in odd numbers and any price changes will get new tags, rather than the sloppy layer of stickers applied one over the other.

Critics say that doing away with sales will kill J.C. Penney. That department store shoppers are conditioned to only shop the sales. It’s a risky strategy to to be sure, but it’s not unheard of. A little chain by the Nordstrom has done very well by doing just that."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2012/01/27/yes-the-new-j...

I wonder how they're going to make the people that get a buzz from thinking they have a super secret better deal/coupon, making the deal a steal. Personally i'd much prefer to know that the price they offer on an item is the best/final price and that's it but obviously that is not how its been working. I think your average shopper hates coupons, etc. Hates thinking, well is this the best price or is there some coupon, etc? This might just work *if* they stick to their guns, and make the prices their final/best price, period.

as a RUSHhead I love the choice of 2.1.12 (slappin da bass)

Hope it works out for JCP. I actually can work the Kohl's game, jcp is too chaotic. now it won't be.

hollywould said:   I hope they don't follow Kohl's lead where they jack up the price 100% and then have "reductions" every week for 50%. What a joke.

many of their new prices are online. they are a legit 40-50% off full price, they didn't jack them up beyond where they used to be

another nice thing, all their prices are in whole numbers, no xx.99 stuff. that's how you can tell the new pricing online also.

I am not sure if this will work. People are used to thinking that a sale = good deal. A sale also gives a couple of data points - an inflated MSRP and the actual price at which the store is willing to sell the item. Far too many shoppers would have to rewire their thinking to accept that there won't be sales almost every other day now and the price they see on the tag is the actual price.

"Here’s how Penney’s pricing strategy will work:

- Sale prices become everyday prices. The company will use sales data from last year to slash prices on all merchandise at least 40 percent or lower than the previous year’s prices. So, a woman’s St. John’s Bay blouse regularly priced at $14.99 could have the “Every Day” price of $7.

- Fewer sales. The retailer will pick items to go on sale each month for a “Month-Long Value.” For instance, jewelry and Valentine’s Day gifts would go on sale in February, while Christmas decorations would be discounted in November. Items that don’t sell well would go on clearance during the first and third Friday of every month when many Americans get paid. Those items will be tagged “Best Prices,” signaling to customers that’s the cheapest price.

- New tags. The retailer used to pile stickers on price tags to indicate each time an item was marked down. But now each time an item gets a new price, it gets a new tag too. A red tag indicates an “Every Day” price, a white tag a “Month-Long Value” and a blue tag a “Best Price.”

- Simpler pricing. Penney will use whole figures when pricing items. In other words, you won’t see jeans with a price tag of $19.99, but rather $19 or $20.

- New advertising has began airing. The company also has a new spokeswoman – talk show host Ellen DeGeneres – and logo, a red outline of a box that features JCP in the corner. And a 96-page catalog will be mailed each month to 14 million customers, along with other promotional efforts.

- The stores will also be “uncluttered.”

“I have been struck by the extraordinary amount of promotional activity, which to me, didn’t feel like it was appropriate for a department store,” Johnson said. “Once you start to promote, the only way to beat a promotion was to make it bigger.”

http://www.southwestiowanews.com/council_bluffs/article_059b68f8...

Wow! I'm really excited for these changes. I regularly shop at JC Penney, so these new changes will be, if nothing else, a fun departure from the typical department store shopping experience. I especially like that there's no more stickers on the price tags for each price mark down. I think it will make things a lot easier to have a completely new tag, although it's probably kind of bad for the environment.

it seems to me that compared to Sears the quality of stuff there is pretty bad. oh and Kohls, bought some stuff there at 90% off, huge bags, most of it barely lasted a week. what crap, hope Sears doesnt move in the same direction.

hypothetical

GeorgiaBulldawg said:   skh12 said:   i think it's just a hustle, just like Wal-Mart and costco, so many things are a terrible deal at those places but you see people load up on them just because windshield washer fluid is only 25 cents then everything in this dump must be a good deal

25 cents each? This needs to be posted in Hot Deals!

Shirts that I've been buying for 15+ years for ~$22.00 are now priced at $30.00. Things are changing alright. The prices changing to higher. That's the change. Way to go Penney's.

Skipping 4 Messages...
That's why I rarely shop at department stores. If I do, it is usually an online deal I see on here. I prefer Outlet Stores. Dep. Stores fabric quality is usually bad. Fabric gets linty after a few wash. Most shirt I buy from a Dep. Store, ends up at goodwill before their expected lifetime. Those I buy from RL or even AE lasts way longer.I literally hate Kohls apart from Dockers items, most items I purchased lost their quality or shape after several washes.(I have a high end Samsung washer/dryer kit that is gentle on clothes.I separate like colors and always use cold water and different detergent for whites/colors

RL Outlets have great deals. I got several polos under $15 on clearance. When I combined (timing) their seasonal discount with Premium Outlet Mall VIP membership discount, I got several polos under $30.(from a wide selection not clearance). They also offer solid polos/shirts with no logos, if you are like me who likes it lean..

TJMaxx/Marshalls have good deals as well but their stock is limited and you need to visit their store often. You can find discounted gift cards online.
I am trying to be extremely careful on my clothes purchases. I don't have time to deal with garage sales, Free listing on Craigslist works best and makes me feel better since I can make an impact on an individual's life but it does not change the fact that it is still some wasted money..

1-) If you order from gap brands online, For free returns, add an over-sized item on your cart. This will provide a free return label with your shipping since they can not be returned to stores.
2-)Don't trust returns without a receipt for Kohls.(Credits to items I return without the knowledge of my wife) If you don't have the receipt,they sometime give just a fraction of what you paid.
3-)Most Stores with Paypal payments do not give a refund.Only Store Credit. (Sears, Target etc). Some does not even let you return item to store even though their Restocking Policy states it clearly that it can be.
4-)Open packages carefully from stores that is not very reputable.(It happens a lot to me since I buy/sell server parts and you never know what they can send.I received Click of Dead Hdds as Enterprise Disk Replacement ) If item is not what it is as stated on web description, you can seal it back and refuse the package nicely. Obtain a RMA and place in package if it is a MUST.Sellers don't pay return shipping since you accept their policies, Visa is no help either. Otherwise You MUST pay the insured return shipping.
5-) Add your favorite brands/future purchases to your watch list on your fatwallet account. You'll receive a notification once your criteria is met. I visit here often but still missed several deals for which I ended up paying more.So it is a great feature.Use it..
5-)For Kohls Cash, that expires, But something and return it to store. You will get a gift card. From what I know "cash" should not expire. Promotions does.Make sure that you pay some extra $$$s just in case..

I hope I've been helpful to some..

Please share your shopping experience /feedback and on shopping. I think if we gather more we can create a thread or edit summary of an existing one.

I am also thankful everyone on here. I literally saved over $3000 and was able to afford (mentally) many items that improved my life quality.I also saved over $1000 on items (=spent less for services/items that I already pay or was about to purchase.Internet, TV,Laptop etc.). In the last 2 years, I sold laptops I purchased thru deals on here. 4 laptops in total. I sold them with a very little loss on eBay after fees etc

I think we need to invent a separate word for savings that reduce your required spending total.This is what I call "saving".
The rest is "The money I spend less"

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014