Staples "Plus", new tier, only $500 to qualify

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
did a quick search for Staples plus and didn't see anything turn up.. Anyways, my Staples rewards page shows a "plus category now that is reached after $500 in spending!

can't copy and paste entire rewards terms and conditions, but the key feature for me is that this upgrade gets you the extra 10 ink cartridges per month in recycling!

not sure what is lost versus "premiere" although there was something about rewards expiring in 5th month, which is less time than with premiere, I think...

Update:
so the consensus is that premier is here to stay and that "plus" is an intermediate step that is "premier" without the bonus ink cartridge recycling...
I'm also proud to say that I'm officially "premier" on the rewards site! (it showed "plus" until 2/16)-- went over $1000 on my spending on January 26th but didn't get credited to my account until 1/31 (after I called in to ask about my online order that put me over the top)
and this is my first time achieving premier status

Member Summary

staples (3.67kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I got a Plus card in the mail yesterday. Not sure how, doubt I spent $200 at Staples last year and nothing so far this ... (more)

bgriffin (Feb. 18, 2012 @ 10:37a) |

Funny, I just got my mail and found that i also got a Plus card. I am supposed to be Premiere,and the Rewards website w... (more)

freakinout (Feb. 18, 2012 @ 2:28p) |

I got bounced back to regular status, even though I was told I'd have Premier status this year also (got my Premier stat... (more)

gooddealie (Mar. 20, 2012 @ 12:07p) |


Maybe they are getting rid of the premier. Rewards for premier also expires at the end of 5th month.

Interesting as there was a post somewhere about only being able to cycle 10 carts as Plus. The only advantage that they posted was a minimum of $5 for ink/copy/print rewards payout and free delivery. From the below it seems they were wrong. What they need is plus plus. Something beyond Plus. I have little incentive to spend more once I hit the new $500 spend. Plus is now what Premier used to be it seems.

"5. Upgrade

A Member is automatically upgraded to Plus status when the Member's account reflects $500 of spending on all products and services at each or any combination of Staples U.S. stores, online at Staples.comŽ and/or by phone at 1-800-333-3330 other than taxes, postage stamps, delivery charges, pre-paid phone cards, Staples gift cards, third party gift cards and any other categories that Staples has excluded. Member spending qualifying for upgrade is the amount paid at checkout after application of all coupons, discounts and Rewards redemptions.

A Member retains Plus status for the remainder of the calendar year in which they qualify and the initial following year and must re-qualify in that and each subsequent calendar year. Member's account balances are reset at the beginning of the calendar year to $0.

Plus Members are issued Rewards online monthly when a minimum of $5 has been earned. Plus Rewards balances of less than $5 will be rolled over month to month and will expire at the end of each calendar year. Plus Rewards, once issued, expire at the end of the fifth month following issuance of the Reward. Plus Members are eligible to earn Recycling Rewards (as described in Section 6) on up to 20 ink or toner cartridges per calendar month. Plus Members also receive free delivery on all orders, and, from time to time, Plus-only in store events, offers, free products and services."

http://www.staplesrewardscenter.com/SORC/UserManagement/Login/Re...

thanks for pasting the info from their T+C.. Couldn't do it from my pseudo-smartphone.. So it seems like Staples is rebadging "premier" as "plus" and making it that much easier to play the Staples Rewards game

booyakhoa said:   thanks for pasting the info from their T+C.. Couldn't do it from my pseudo-smartphone.. So it seems like Staples is rebadging "premier" as "plus" and making it that much easier to play the Staples Rewards game

Yes, but they also "seem" to be "trying" to eliminate those people who have multiple accounts. This has been posted before in other threads that they there were going to enforce the below.

"Each Member can recycle up to 10 cartridges per month of any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail store in the U.S., and receive $2 back in Recycling Rewards per cartridge. The Member must be physically present at the store when the cartridges are turned in for recycling and a Membership account is identified."

mathfaster said:   booyakhoa said:   thanks for pasting the info from their T+C.. Couldn't do it from my pseudo-smartphone.. So it seems like Staples is rebadging "premier" as "plus" and making it that much easier to play the Staples Rewards game

Yes, but they also "seem" to be "trying" to eliminate those people who have multiple accounts. This has been posted before in other threads that they there were going to enforce the below.

"Each Member can recycle up to 10 cartridges per month of any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail store in the U.S., and receive $2 back in Recycling Rewards per cartridge. The Member must be physically present at the store when the cartridges are turned in for recycling and a Membership account is identified."


How do you turn in cartridges without being there?

kimgkimg said:   

How do you turn in cartridges without being there?



I imagine you just give them your "friend's" cartridges and your "friend's" rewards card. If the ACTUAL MEMBER has to be present, it leads me to believe you will need to present ID along with the rewards card to verify that you are the person on the account. this would easily put an end to (or severly limit) the abuse of those using multiple accounts for recycling

mathfaster said:   Interesting as there was a post somewhere about only being able to cycle 10 carts as Plus. The only advantage that they posted was a minimum of $5 for ink/copy/print rewards payout and free delivery. From the below it seems they were wrong. What they need is plus plus. Something beyond Plus. I have little incentive to spend more once I hit the new $500 spend. Plus is now what Premier used to be it seems.

Someone on SD contacted Rewards and Rewards said the new Plus is only 10 cartridges per month not 20. This will take awhile to sort out. Staples has made mods to their website before in quick order so it may be updated shortly. Who knows what is correct.

kimgkimg said:   mathfaster said:   booyakhoa said:   thanks for pasting the info from their T+C.. Couldn't do it from my pseudo-smartphone.. So it seems like Staples is rebadging "premier" as "plus" and making it that much easier to play the Staples Rewards game

Yes, but they also "seem" to be "trying" to eliminate those people who have multiple accounts. This has been posted before in other threads that they there were going to enforce the below.

"Each Member can recycle up to 10 cartridges per month of any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail store in the U.S., and receive $2 back in Recycling Rewards per cartridge. The Member must be physically present at the store when the cartridges are turned in for recycling and a Membership account is identified."


How do you turn in cartridges without being there?


I guess depend on the cashier. When I turned in my 20 cartridges early this week, the cashier only keyed in 10 for my account and asked me for a 2nd rewards account for the remaining cartridges. If my cashier did it without prompting, I guess it is not that hard for some people to talk their cashier to credit multiple accounts without all the account owners being there.

kimgkimg said:   mathfaster said:   booyakhoa said:   thanks for pasting the info from their T+C.. Couldn't do it from my pseudo-smartphone.. So it seems like Staples is rebadging "premier" as "plus" and making it that much easier to play the Staples Rewards game

Yes, but they also "seem" to be "trying" to eliminate those people who have multiple accounts. This has been posted before in other threads that they there were going to enforce the below.

"Each Member can recycle up to 10 cartridges per month of any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail store in the U.S., and receive $2 back in Recycling Rewards per cartridge. The Member must be physically present at the store when the cartridges are turned in for recycling and a Membership account is identified."


How do you turn in cartridges without being there?



Send a picture, to them it is the thought.

JimsEmptyWallet said:   
I guess depend on the cashier. When I turned in my 20 cartridges early this week, the cashier only keyed in 10 for my account and asked me for a 2nd rewards account for the remaining cartridges. If my cashier did it without prompting, I guess it is not that hard for some people to talk their cashier to credit multiple accounts without all the account owners being there.


Where you using a blue rewards card or the black one? If you just earned Premiere last month and haven't received your black card this would make sense that the cashier was confused and/or trying to help you out by not letting you turn in more cartridges than you'd get credit for

booyakhoa said:   did a quick search for Staples plus and didn't see anything turn up.. Anyways, my Staples rewards page shows a "plus category now that is reached after $500 in spending!

can't copy and paste entire rewards terms and conditions, but the key feature for me is that this upgrade gets you the extra 10 ink cartridges per month in recycling!

not sure what is lost versus "premiere" although there was something about rewards expiring in 5th month, which is less time than with premiere, I think...


How recently did you become a Staples Rewards member? Does your Rewards account say you can recycle 20 for the month of Feb on the home page?

freakinout said:   JimsEmptyWallet said:   
I guess depend on the cashier. When I turned in my 20 cartridges early this week, the cashier only keyed in 10 for my account and asked me for a 2nd rewards account for the remaining cartridges. If my cashier did it without prompting, I guess it is not that hard for some people to talk their cashier to credit multiple accounts without all the account owners being there.


Where you using a blue rewards card or the black one? If you just earned Premiere last month and haven't received your black card this would make sense that the cashier was confused and/or trying to help you out by not letting you turn in more cartridges than you'd get credit for


Did not use any card. Just told the cashier about my phone number and she looked it up, and I turned premier in Sep 2011. As I said, she keyed 10 in and proceeded to ask me for my 2nd rewards account number. She did not say anything about 10 is the limit for regular member. Anyway, the point is she is OK with one person turns in cartridges for 2 different accounts.

Yes, back in the day they encouraged you to have multiple cards. I remember getting a second one on BF one year. Many FWers had multiple gold cards because of the earning limits per account per quarter.

You must have run into one of the few Staples employees that's been there for more than a couple years.

never mind

mathfaster said:   booyakhoa said:   did a quick search for Staples plus and didn't see anything turn up.. Anyways, my Staples rewards page shows a "plus category now that is reached after $500 in spending!

can't copy and paste entire rewards terms and conditions, but the key feature for me is that this upgrade gets you the extra 10 ink cartridges per month in recycling!

not sure what is lost versus "premiere" although there was something about rewards expiring in 5th month, which is less time than with premiere, I think...


I actually am "pending" premier status- made qualifying purchase a couple of weeks back but system hasn't upgraded me yet.. But did call in and they did say that the 20 cartridges is a mistake (aka, lazy cut/paste job) for "Plus" and that the number of cartridges is the difference between the new "plus" and the current (and continuing) premier status..
regardless, car told me I am now premier and can recycle 20 and I imagine the rewards website will reflect that soon (shows I've recycled 10/10 for February at the moment)

How recently did you become a Staples Rewards member? Does your Rewards account say you can recycle 20 for the month of Feb on the home page?

Staples Plus has a special phone number to call to avoid waiting, free shipping, $5 spending for rewards rolling, but only 10 ink trade ins.

Plus is NOT a re-badged premier. We can now put that to rest. Does anyone at Staples ever proof read copy?

mathfaster said:   booyakhoa said:   thanks for pasting the info from their T+C.. Couldn't do it from my pseudo-smartphone.. So it seems like Staples is rebadging "premier" as "plus" and making it that much easier to play the Staples Rewards game

Yes, but they also "seem" to be "trying" to eliminate those people who have multiple accounts. This has been posted before in other threads that they there were going to enforce the below.

"Each Member can recycle up to 10 cartridges per month of any used ink or toner cartridge sold at any retail store in the U.S., and receive $2 back in Recycling Rewards per cartridge. The Member must be physically present at the store when the cartridges are turned in for recycling and a Membership account is identified."



I had brought this matter to everyones attention about two months ago and received lot of flak from fellow fatwalletrs, including senior members. I guess I feel vindicated.

Here is the original thread

Here is my original post

Starting soon.....if not already,

1. When recycling ink cartridges, you can no longer do for other people. Person has to do it themselves
2. When purchasing (ink etc), you can only use your rewards card. You cannot buy for other people.
3. IF you violate #1 and #2, an alert is issued and e-mail is sent to MOD. There is always someone sitting in the backroom, watching all this activity. Next time you in the store, keep an eye and you will notice.
4. Do not get Staples visa debit/credit cards as rebate options. Recently Staples system refused to accept it and asked for alternate form of payment. Said their system was down. went to non Staples store and was able to use it with no problem. Went to another Staples store, same problem. Go figure !!


Amusing to see all the replies I received then from all !!

user0001 said:   Yes, back in the day they encouraged you to have multiple cards. I remember getting a second one on BF one year. Many FWers had multiple gold cards because of the earning limits per account per quarter.Those were in the good old days when you actually got something back for each purchase, no matter what it was!

Shree420 said:   . Do not get Staples visa debit/credit cards as rebate options. Recently Staples system refused to accept it and asked for alternate form of payment. Said their system was down. went to non Staples store and was able to use it with no problem. Went to another Staples store, same problem. Go figure !!


I fail to understand your point. Are you suggesting a conspiracy? Do you think they actually care if you pay with your bank issued visa, their branded rewards visa rebate card, or a rewards check? Do you think they think you'll get discouraged and will throw it away, and they will reap the profits?

The money is issued, they know you are going to spend it somewhere, so why would they risk having someone walk out without buying? I think this is a pretty long reach!

freakinout said:   Shree420 said:   . Do not get Staples visa debit/credit cards as rebate options. Recently Staples system refused to accept it and asked for alternate form of payment. Said their system was down. went to non Staples store and was able to use it with no problem. Went to another Staples store, same problem. Go figure !!


I fail to understand your point. Are you suggesting a conspiracy? Do you think they actually care if you pay with your bank issued visa, their branded rewards visa rebate card, or a rewards check? Do you think they think you'll get discouraged and will throw it away, and they will reap the profits?

The money is issued, they know you are going to spend it somewhere, so why would they risk having someone walk out without buying? I think this is a pretty long reach!


+1 (although, I do think they would rather you not use a rewards check and let it expire)
I wonder, though, if Staples actually gets some benefit when the visa card value isn't used. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sharing program in place where Staples gets a portion of the money on unused Staples Visa cards. Even if they did I don't think anyone would care at the store level.

Either way, I don't think this is a conspiracy.

A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Shree420 said:    There is always someone sitting in the backroom, watching all this activity. Next time you in the store, keep an eye and you will notice.


When the economy went south, Staples went from stores filled with Day-1 associates winning frequent employee appreciation $100 cash games, to pressuring out full-time old-timers and replacing them with cheaper young part-timers. There is less retail experience and the typical 19-year-old Staples associate is completely oblivious to flagrant shoplifters.

This is a general trend with nationwide retailers.

With Staples, a customer might go into one store and have 5 invalid coupons in a row over-rided and accepted, while at another store, a completely valid coupon is not even attempted to be scanned because a cashier/manager does not like the wording in the fine print.

Manufacturer's coupons and competitor coupons might be made into a price adjustment. A store coupon code might be punched in and used as a substitute. I have seen a Staples GM refuse to ring up a 5˘ Back-To-School promo item saying it is better for all of us if you just have it for free -- and he bagged it!

No one is watching.

Spooie said:   A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Yes, there is a Gold level, but i heard it isn't a whole lot better. i think the spend level is $5k to get

Spooie said:   A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Gold. You need to be invited.

jetsfan92588 said:   freakinout said:   Shree420 said:   . Do not get Staples visa debit/credit cards as rebate options. Recently Staples system refused to accept it and asked for alternate form of payment. Said their system was down. went to non Staples store and was able to use it with no problem. Went to another Staples store, same problem. Go figure !!


I fail to understand your point. Are you suggesting a conspiracy? Do you think they actually care if you pay with your bank issued visa, their branded rewards visa rebate card, or a rewards check? Do you think they think you'll get discouraged and will throw it away, and they will reap the profits?

The money is issued, they know you are going to spend it somewhere, so why would they risk having someone walk out without buying? I think this is a pretty long reach!


+1 (although, I do think they would rather you not use a rewards check and let it expire)
I wonder, though, if Staples actually gets some benefit when the visa card value isn't used. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sharing program in place where Staples gets a portion of the money on unused Staples Visa cards. Even if they did I don't think anyone would care at the store level.

Either way, I don't think this is a conspiracy.


I am not talking about conspiracy....Staples is very up and up company, actually very much for customer company.

In the Staples rebate card, they control the card and can if they want to, make your life miserable...as I experienced. They also can track where and how you use the card. Another information gathering/tracking tool. As for how Staples administers the rebate program....for all rebate eligible purchases, if the buyer fails to claim the rebate, they split the money with the manufacturer. What the formula is, I do not know.

freakinout said:   Spooie said:   A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Yes, there is a Gold level, but i heard it isn't a whole lot better. i think the spend level is $5k to get


I spent $5,500 last year and I didn't get invited.

ehrenrej said:   freakinout said:   Spooie said:   A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Yes, there is a Gold level, but i heard it isn't a whole lot better. i think the spend level is $5k to get


I spent $5,500 last year and I didn't get invited.
i am past 5k this year and my phone is not yet ringing

Hmm. New Plus tier is interesting. I don't buy much tech anymore at Staples. At one point I was Premier, but I'm pretty sure I've been downgraded since then. I still use my Black Card when checking out though.

Edit: Perhaps if they had some good deals on monitors or hard drives, I might buy more stuff from them.

I don't use eBay coupons though, I personally consider them to be fraudulent, and off-limits.

jetsfan92588 said:   freakinout said:   Shree420 said:   . Do not get Staples visa debit/credit cards as rebate options. Recently Staples system refused to accept it and asked for alternate form of payment. Said their system was down. went to non Staples store and was able to use it with no problem. Went to another Staples store, same problem. Go figure !!


I fail to understand your point. Are you suggesting a conspiracy? Do you think they actually care if you pay with your bank issued visa, their branded rewards visa rebate card, or a rewards check? Do you think they think you'll get discouraged and will throw it away, and they will reap the profits?

The money is issued, they know you are going to spend it somewhere, so why would they risk having someone walk out without buying? I think this is a pretty long reach!


+1 (although, I do think they would rather you not use a rewards check and let it expire)
I wonder, though, if Staples actually gets some benefit when the visa card value isn't used. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sharing program in place where Staples gets a portion of the money on unused Staples Visa cards. Even if they did I don't think anyone would care at the store level.

Either way, I don't think this is a conspiracy.





RE:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sharing program in place where Staples gets a portion of the money on unused Staples Visa cards.

Surely they do, otherwise they would just give it all upfront when you buy...
Even with the costs to administer I am sure they come out ahead.
I would guess that 1/2 of rebates overall are never collect on.

mathfaster said:   Spooie said:   A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Gold. You need to be invited.


FYI Gold Staples Rewards is an Internet myth. It simply does not exist anywhere other than on deal sites on the Internet at least that is in terms of the Staples Rewards program referenced here. That being said, Staples does have another customer loyality program for corporate customers(or customers that have misled Staples by stating they are a corporation) called Staples Corporate perks that offers Gold and Platimum account levels that has nothing to do with their comsumer Rewards Program. As noted you need to be invited. Those corporate perks programs offer NO Rewards checks for purchases like the Staples rewards program and accepting an invitation is guranteed exclusion from all future Staples consumer enail and snail coupon mailings for your Staples account. Here are the basic benefits for each corporate perks level:

Gold:
Dedicated Staples Account manager.
Periodic $$ off or free product coupon mailings from your account manager.
Access to Staples private website to order Staples X-SKUs. These are basically a 10% instant on most non-tech items sold at Staples.com.

Platinum (All of the Benefits of Gold above plus the additional perks
Monthly invoicing with net 30 terms.
Staples account with multi-user access.
Ability to place orders through Quill.com with your Staples Account.
Local Staples store to your business same day delivery (Staples used to offer this benefit to all business back in the 90s)
Try before you buy 30 day tech loaner program (only available through your Staples account on Staples.com
Free or discounted tickets to select events at the Staples Center.

haramkhor said:   

i am past 5k this year and my phone is not yet ringing


When the phone don't ring, you know it's Staples Gold on the other end.

Notice that the page has no mention of "Premier" (except for teachers with a reference to Section 5...which does not state 'Premier').
Is that being phased out?

http://www.staplesrewardscenter.com/SORC/UserManagement/Login/Re...

dazviking said:   Notice that the page has no mention of "Premier" (except for teachers with a reference to Section 5...which does not state 'Premier').
Is that being phased out?

http://www.staplesrewardscenter.com/SORC/UserManagement/Login/Re...


That's interesting. When i log into my account it no longer says Premiere on the left hand side ( doesn't say plus either), but at the bottom it still shows $0.00 needed to reach premiere. Glad i turned in my 20 cartridges early in Feb

ETA: The logo next to the yearly spend to reach Premiere on the bottom of rewards home page shows the Plus logo & the logo at the top of page shows Plus as well

dazviking said:   Notice that the page has no mention of "Premier" (except for teachers with a reference to Section 5...which does not state 'Premier').
Is that being phased out?

http://www.staplesrewardscenter.com/SORC/UserManagement/Login/Re...


no, the Premier benefits page is here....


http://www.staplesrewardscenter.com/SORC/UserManagement/Benefits...

That's because you are logged in. Try logging out and finding that page (at least it doesn't work for me).

Freakin, it says premier at top right side for me, and "Spend ~$750 to keep my status".

cnIsfg said:   mathfaster said:   Spooie said:   A bit off topic, but is there any program 'higher' than Staples Premier?

Gold. You need to be invited.


FYI Gold Staples Rewards is an Internet myth. It simply does not exist anywhere other than on deal sites on the Internet at least that is in terms of the Staples Rewards program referenced here. That being said, Staples does have another customer loyality program for corporate customers(or customers that have misled Staples by stating they are a corporation) called Staples Corporate perks that offers Gold and Platimum account levels that has nothing to do with their comsumer Rewards Program. As noted you need to be invited. Those corporate perks programs offer NO Rewards checks for purchases like the Staples rewards program and accepting an invitation is guranteed exclusion from all future Staples consumer enail and snail coupon mailings for your Staples account. Here are the basic benefits for each corporate perks level:

Gold:
Dedicated Staples Account manager.
Periodic $$ off or free product coupon mailings from your account manager.
Access to Staples private website to order Staples X-SKUs. These are basically a 10% instant on most non-tech items sold at Staples.com.

Platinum (All of the Benefits of Gold above plus the additional perks
Monthly invoicing with net 30 terms.
Staples account with multi-user access.
Ability to place orders through Quill.com with your Staples Account.
Local Staples store to your business same day delivery (Staples used to offer this benefit to all business back in the 90s)
Try before you buy 30 day tech loaner program (only available through your Staples account on Staples.com
Free or discounted tickets to select events at the Staples Center.


If it's a "myth", why is there a page about it on THEIR OWN website, specifically mentioning all the same standard rewards you claim are not included? http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/products/perm/merch024658_gold_we...

That said, I haven't heard of anyone actually achieving this level, so maybe it is just to try to get people to spend more and doesn't really exist.

dazviking said:   Freakin, it says premier at top right side for me, and "Spend ~$750 to keep my status".

ok, that's good news. Maybe they are mad at me!!

I just logged out and back in, still shows Plus. No worries, I'll give it some time and if it dosen't change by time i am ready to do my March recycling I will give them a call and get it fixed. thanks, glad it's not a widespread issue

Skipping 18 Messages...
I got bounced back to regular status, even though I was told I'd have Premier status this year also (got my Premier status in November 2011). I noticed the change when I went to check my February ink recycling rewards and it showed only 10, not the 20 I took in. I called, and my Premier status was reinstated (no mention at all about Plus), and a courtesy coupon for the other 10 cartridges I recycled will be issued. If something is funky with your account, call them. They were nice about it and it seemed to be an easy fix.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014