• filter:
  • 17 8 9101122
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Michaels Data Theft Class Action Lawsuit Settlement

The Michaels data settlement will resolve multiple class action lawsuits filed in 2011 after it was revealed that the arts-and-crafts retailer’s checkout-line PIN pads were tampered with in 20 states. Plaintiffs accused Michaels of failing to safeguard shoppers’ credit and debit card information and PIN numbers, and of failing to properly warn them of the data breach in a timely manner. About 90 PIN pads at various Michaels stores throughout the country showed signs of tampering.

Class Members of the Michaels data theft settlement include all consumers who purchased items at certain Michaels store locations from January 1, 2011 to May 12, 2011 and had their debit or credit card swiped on a tampered PIN pad terminal. These stores were located in Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia and Washington State.

Eligible Class Members that submit a timely Claim Form will receive reimbursement of out-of-pocket monetary losses they incurred related to the data theft. Class Members who did not incur out-of-pocket charges can receive one or two years of free credit monitoring.

The only way to receive these benefits is to submit a valid Claim Form by the deadline of May 25, 2013.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the Michaels Data Theft Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.MichaelsDataSettlement.com.

rated:
ADT Security Robocall Class Action Settlement

The ADT robocall settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit (Vishva Desai v. ADT Security Services Inc.) that alleges certain ADT authorized dealers or lead generators, seeking to sell ADT’s products and services, made numerous calls that violated the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). This includes calling consumers using an automated dialing machine (“robocalling”) and delivering a pre-recorded message.

Class Members of the ADT class action settlement include all persons or entities who received telemarketing phone calls that either delivered a pre-recorded message or were made using automated dialing equipment, and which were made under the guise of selling ADT products or services.

If the Court approves the ADT robocall settlement, every Class Member who submits a timely and valid Claim Form will be entitled to a payment based on the number of valid claims received. It’s estimated that the typical payout on the settlement will be between $50 and $100, but this amount could be higher or lower based on the actual number of valid claims submitted. Each household is entitled to make only one claim, regardless of the number of telephone calls received, and the maximum payout will not exceed $500.

The only way to receive a cash award from the ADT class action lawsuit settlement is to submit a Claim Form online or postmarked no later than June 10, 2013.

A Final Fairness Hearing is scheduled for June 21, 2013.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the ADT Robocall Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.RobocallSettlement.com.

rated:
Commerce Bank Overdraft Class Action Lawsuit Settlement

The Commerce Bank overdraft settlement will resolve allegations the bank posted debit card transactions during overnight processing in the order of highest-to-lowest dollar amount, which resulted in an increased number of overdraft fees assessed to customers.

Class Members of the Commerce Bank overdraft fee settlement include:

Anyone who has or had a Commerce consumer checking account that could be accessed with a debit card at any time between April 6, 2004, through and including August 16, 2012. For those members of the Settlement Class with an account that was opened in Illinois, the class period is April 6, 2000, through and including August 16, 2012; and
Incurred an overdraft fee as a result of Commerce Bank’s practice of posting debit card transactions from highest to lowest dollar amount.

If the settlement is approved, Class Members can receive a cash payment based on the number of improper overdraft fees they were assessed and how many valid claims are filed.

Class Members who had accounts opened in Illinois and incurred eligible overdraft fees between April 6, 2000 and December 31, 2002 will need to submit a valid Claim Form by May 21, 2013 in order to receive a payment. All other Class Members will automatically receive a payment if the class action settlement is approved.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the Commerce Bank Overdraft Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.CommerceBankOverdraftSettlement.com.

Fees Charged From: 2000 to 2012

Claims must be postmarked by: 5/21/13

rated:
SUNY Tuition Refund Class Action Settlement

The SUNY tuition settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit (Sara Strum, et al. v. The State University of New York, et al.) filed by two students who were residents of New Jersey and paid the non-resident tuition rate when they attended Binghamton University, a SUNY school. The students argue, however, that they should have been charged the resident tuition rate (also called the “in-state” rate) because they met certain requirements under the law for students who graduated from New York high schools.

Class Members of the SUNY tuition class action settlement include anyone who meets the following criteria:

1. You attended one of the eligible SUNY schools below for any period of time during the Fall 2007 term, Spring 2011 term and any time in 2008, 2009 and 2010; AND

2. You or your parents paid the non-resident tuition rate; AND

3. You were not a resident of New York State at that time; AND EITHER

4. You attended a New York high school for two or more years and applied for attendance at SUNY within five years of graduating from a New York high school -or- you attended a New York state GED program and applied for attendance at SUNY within five years of receiving your GED.

Eligible SUNY schools covered by the class action lawsuit settlement are:

Binghamton University
College of Environmental Science and Forestry
College of Optometry
Downstate Medical Center
Stony Brook University
University at Albany
University at Buffalo
Upstate Medical University
Buffalo State College
Empire State College
Purchase College
State University of New York at Geneseo
State University of New York at New Paltz
State University of New York at Oswego
State University of New York at Potsdam
SUNY College at Oneonta
SUNY Cortland
SUNY Fredonia
SUNY Plattsburgh
The College at Brockport
The College at Old Westbury
Alfred State College
Farmingdale State College
Maritime College
Morrisville State College
SUNY Canton
SUNY Cobleskill
SUNY Delhi
SUNY Institute of Technology

* The SUNY Community Colleges, Cornell University and Alfred University are NOT part of this settlement.

Class Members that submit a valid Claim Form by the deadline of September 4, 2013 will be eligible to receive a refund of the tuition they paid. The exact amount of this refund will depend on several factors and you may not be eligible for a refund, such as if you paid for tuition using scholarship or grant money.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the SUNY Tuition Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.albany.edu/tuition-refund.

rated:
Sony Grand Wega SXRD TV Class Action Settlement

The Sony TV settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit (Date v. Sony Electronics Inc., et al.) that alleges Sony and ABC Appliance Inc. falsely represented and advertised that certain Sony Grand Wega SXRD rear-projection TVs had a 1080p display resolution, when they were actually incapable of accepting input of 1080p signals and could not accept and display video content at 1080p resolution via the televisions’ PC and HDMI Input.

Class Members of the Sony Grand Wega SXRD class action settlement include all U.S. consumers who purchased, or received as a gift from the original retail purchaser, one of the following Sony Grand Wega SXRD rear-projection television models on or before December 22, 2012:

KDS-R5OXBR1
KDS-R6OXBR1

Class Members are eligible to receive a $60 gift card that does not expire and is redeemable for the purchase of any item available at a Sony retail store or online at store.Sony.com ONLY if they also have one of the following 1080p output devices:

Any manufacturer's Blu-ray DVD player;
Any manufacturer's computer or laptop with 1080p HDMI output;
Any manufacturer's camera or camcorder with 1080p HDMI output (such as AVOID/NXCAM camcorders);
Gaming systems with 1080p HDMI output capabilities such as the Sony PlayStation 3, the Microsoft Xbox 360, and the Nintendo Wii U; or
Set top boxes with 1080p output capabilities such as the TWO Premiere DVR, the Direct TV Plus HD DVR Receiver, the Xstream HD Pro Media Receiver, and the Dish Network Hopper.


If you do not have one of these qualifying 1080p output devices, you will not be eligible to receive a gift card, but you will remain in the Settlement Class and release your claims in this litigation unless you choose to opt out of the class action lawsuit settlement.

If you wish to receive the $60 gift card, you must submit a valid Claim Form no later than June 10, 2013. This is the same deadline to opt out.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the Sony Grand Wega SXRD 1080p TV Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at support.Sony.com.

rated:
labboypro said:   ADT Security Robocall Class Action Settlement

The ADT robocall settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit (Vishva Desai v. ADT Security Services Inc.) that alleges certain ADT authorized dealers or lead generators, seeking to sell ADT’s products and services, made numerous calls that violated the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). This includes calling consumers using an automated dialing machine (“robocalling”) and delivering a pre-recorded message.

Class Members of the ADT class action settlement include all persons or entities who received telemarketing phone calls that either delivered a pre-recorded message or were made using automated dialing equipment, and which were made under the guise of selling ADT products or services.

If the Court approves the ADT robocall settlement, every Class Member who submits a timely and valid Claim Form will be entitled to a payment based on the number of valid claims received. It’s estimated that the typical payout on the settlement will be between $50 and $100, but this amount could be higher or lower based on the actual number of valid claims submitted. Each household is entitled to make only one claim, regardless of the number of telephone calls received, and the maximum payout will not exceed $500.

The only way to receive a cash award from the ADT class action lawsuit settlement is to submit a Claim Form online or postmarked no later than June 10, 2013.

A Final Fairness Hearing is scheduled for June 21, 2013.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the ADT Robocall Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.RobocallSettlement.com.


Thanks labboypro for all the class actions out there.

For this one, here is the full legalese:

"I verify that the telephone number entered received an unsolicited pre-recorded call at my residence that I believe came from an authorized dealer of ADT Security Services (or from ADT or a company that provides leads to ADT authorized dealers) sometime between January 1, 2007, and January 30, 2013. At the time of the call, I did not consent to receive such a call, I was not a customer of ADT or anyone purporting to sell its products, nor have I had any type of business relationship with ADT or anyone purporting to sell its products. "

So, even though you received the calls, it only applies to non-ADT customers.

rated:
labboypro, how about a note after each thanking Top Class Actions (http://www.topclassactions.com) for notifying you of these class actions? It appears you received the newsletter I send out every Monday. I'm glad you're listing them, just a note saying you found out about them from our free weekly newsletter would be nice... http://www.topclassactions.com/mailing-list/archived-newsletters

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Hardy
President of Top Class Actions

rated:
labboypro said:   www.PalmerSolicitationCallSettlement.com 1-800-465-4481


Settlement checks are in the mail.

rated:
Thank you all for your contributions to this forum!

rated:
I might have the opportunity to be a class representative in a class action suit. Is there any benefits/issues I should be thinking about before agreeing? I don't even know if it will go anywhere. The lawyer said it could take up to 2-3 years before a decision is made once the suit is filed, which I knew. Some other things the lawyer said are that I might have to do a deposition that would be close to my residence, if it goes to trial then I would probably have to travel to where they will hold the trial. The lawyer said all fees would be covered by them for travel or what not. However, the lawyer said they usually go to a settlement. I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks.

rated:
From what I've seen, class representatives usually get a much larger payments than other class members (usually 5K-10K each), while the lawyers get about a third of the settlement money. The rest is distributed to class members.

rated:
toadcat said:   I might have the opportunity to be a class representative in a class action suit. Is there any benefits/issues I should be thinking about before agreeing? I don't even know if it will go anywhere. The lawyer said it could take up to 2-3 years before a decision is made once the suit is filed, which I knew. Some other things the lawyer said are that I might have to do a deposition that would be close to my residence, if it goes to trial then I would probably have to travel to where they will hold the trial. The lawyer said all fees would be covered by them for travel or what not. However, the lawyer said they usually go to a settlement. I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks.

You get better compensation: e.g. http://deskinlawfirm.com/who_are_the_class_representative_and_cl... -- per 1st google search ... Your lawyer should be able to provide more accurate info

rated:
toadcat said:   I might have the opportunity to be a class representative in a class action suit. Is there any benefits/issues I should be thinking about before agreeing? I don't even know if it will go anywhere. The lawyer said it could take up to 2-3 years before a decision is made once the suit is filed, which I knew. Some other things the lawyer said are that I might have to do a deposition that would be close to my residence, if it goes to trial then I would probably have to travel to where they will hold the trial. The lawyer said all fees would be covered by them for travel or what not. However, the lawyer said they usually go to a settlement. I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks.

What scripta said. In the Chase Minimum Payment lawsuit, the 10 class representatives received about 7.5k each, then the next class (whatever it is called) received about 1k each. The rest of us peons got in the tens to low hundreds range. The only thing is that your name will be out there.

rated:
The lawyer did say that being a rep that I would get compensated more than the class. Which I knew and I was hoping that someone here might have some other info besides the money. I appreciate the replies so far though.

rated:
A good one in the mail today-a check for close to $350 from the Chase Payment Protector class action suit! This dates back to April of 2011.

rated:
I don't know anything about this other than the following newspaper article, but thought I'd pass it along:

May 25, 2013
Settlement calls for refunds to Indiana consumers of e-books from Penguin
http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20130525/NEWS/305250048/Settleme...

"Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller says state residents who bought e-books published by Penguin Group would receive $1.15 million in refunds as part of a multistate investigation into price-fixing and collusion.

Zoeller said Friday that Indiana, along with the other states, reached an agreement with Penguin to settle allegations that it colluded with other major publishers to manipulate prices in the e-book market.

He said the agreement with Penguin still must be approved by a U.S. District judge in New York.

Indiana has previously settled with four other publishers. Zoeller said the five settlements will result in Indiana consumers receiving $2.7 million in refunds.

He said Indiana’s antitrust action against Apple Inc. is scheduled to go to trial in June."

---
PS: Before posting, I looked up Penguin in this thread, and found one comment: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1170656/m1740755...
saying that that they had not yet reached an agreement.

rated:
Neidman said:   A good one in the mail today-a check for close to $350 from the Chase Payment Protector class action suit! This dates back to April of 2011.

Yes, this is the Kardonick class action suit. I kind of forgot about this one, it has been so long. I received nine claim postcards from the class administrator back in April 2011 and today received two checks. Each claim code paid me $37.81, for a total of $340.xx. I believe claims alleging non-payment of benefits paid more, but mine all arose from accepting those offers Chase used to send out where if you endorsed the check for $20 or $30 you were auto-enrolled in the plan. I would promptly cancel and pocket the incentive, so not a bad haul given that I had no loss to speak of.

rated:
toadcat said:   I might have the opportunity to be a class representative in a class action suit. Is there any benefits/issues I should be thinking about before agreeing? I don't even know if it will go anywhere. The lawyer said it could take up to 2-3 years before a decision is made once the suit is filed, which I knew. Some other things the lawyer said are that I might have to do a deposition that would be close to my residence, if it goes to trial then I would probably have to travel to where they will hold the trial. The lawyer said all fees would be covered by them for travel or what not. However, the lawyer said they usually go to a settlement. I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks.

This is just my opinion, but do it on principal. My mom was a primary on a class action case, and because her name was first alphabetically. . .http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?page=1&xmldoc=198193928WnAp...

Do you feel strongly about the cause?

rated:
Kellogg's proposed settlement:
3. How do I get a payment?
Class Members may seek reimbursement of $5 per box of Frosted Mini-Wheats purchased, with a recovery of $15 for the purchase of up to three (3) boxes. To receive payment, Claim Forms MUST be completed and either be submitted online or postmarked by no later than 80 days after the date the Court enters the Judgment. The Claim Form deadline will not be earlier than November 28, 2013, but may be later. The exact date will be posted here once the Court enters the Judgment. No proof of purchase is required.
If the total of valid claims is less than the amount of money available to pay them, then valid claims will be increased up to three times the original value of the claim, for a total potential recovery of up to $45 per Class Member. If the total of valid claims exceeds the amount of money available to pay them, then each award will be reduced pro rata.
http://www.cerealsettlement.com/

rated:
labboypro said:   SUNY Tuition Refund Class Action Settlement

The SUNY tuition settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit (Sara Strum, et al. v. The State University of New York, et al.) filed by two students who were residents of New Jersey and paid the non-resident tuition rate when they attended Binghamton University, a SUNY school. The students argue, however, that they should have been charged the resident tuition rate (also called the “in-state” rate) because they met certain requirements under the law for students who graduated from New York high schools.

Class Members of the SUNY tuition class action settlement include anyone who meets the following criteria:

1. You attended one of the eligible SUNY schools below for any period of time during the Fall 2007 term, Spring 2011 term and any time in 2008, 2009 and 2010; AND

2. You or your parents paid the non-resident tuition rate; AND

3. You were not a resident of New York State at that time; AND EITHER

4. You attended a New York high school for two or more years and applied for attendance at SUNY within five years of graduating from a New York high school -or- you attended a New York state GED program and applied for attendance at SUNY within five years of receiving your GED.

Eligible SUNY schools covered by the class action lawsuit settlement are:

Binghamton University
College of Environmental Science and Forestry
College of Optometry
Downstate Medical Center
Stony Brook University
University at Albany
University at Buffalo
Upstate Medical University
Buffalo State College
Empire State College
Purchase College
State University of New York at Geneseo
State University of New York at New Paltz
State University of New York at Oswego
State University of New York at Potsdam
SUNY College at Oneonta
SUNY Cortland
SUNY Fredonia
SUNY Plattsburgh
The College at Brockport
The College at Old Westbury
Alfred State College
Farmingdale State College
Maritime College
Morrisville State College
SUNY Canton
SUNY Cobleskill
SUNY Delhi
SUNY Institute of Technology

* The SUNY Community Colleges, Cornell University and Alfred University are NOT part of this settlement.

Class Members that submit a valid Claim Form by the deadline of September 4, 2013 will be eligible to receive a refund of the tuition they paid. The exact amount of this refund will depend on several factors and you may not be eligible for a refund, such as if you paid for tuition using scholarship or grant money.

Claim Forms and more information on your rights in the SUNY Tuition Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at www.albany.edu/tuition-refund.


Here is a better link if you are interested in applying for this: http://www.suny.edu/tuitionsettlement/

rated:
labboypro said:   labboypro said:   Steve Madden Text Class Action Settlement

www.MaddenTextSettlement.net


Claim period has been extended. Search your records to see if you're a class member. This one has a hefty payout.

Class Members can receive up to $150 if they submit a valid Claim Form by June 11, 2013.


I did received lot of text msgs, how do I know if it was from them? I guess I should file and if they accept i did receive it.

rated:
(reposted from separate CCFSettlement thread in Finance forum):

Like many of you, I participated in the class action suit about currency conversion fees. The website for information about the suit and settlement is here:

CCFSettlement

My wife and I got our settlement checks in December 2011 and I thought that was it, but apparently they approved a new round of distributions in April, to be sent out mid-May to mid-July. My wife got a small check and I'm hoping to get one myself.

Check your mail!

rated:
Pinot $s arrived today

rated:
Anyone gotten anything from this?
https://diamondsclassaction.com/

Been waiting on this one for 3+ years now.

rated:
got my wine ck sat but where is my shapeups yes I still have them 3 pair

rated:
HA HA, I posted that and my check showed up the next day. Nice.

rated:
brentpresley said:   HA HA, I posted that and my check showed up the next day. Nice.

How much?

rated:
pietromoon said:   Pinot $s arrived today

$21 each here...

rated:
sloppy1 said:   brentpresley said:   HA HA, I posted that and my check showed up the next day. Nice.

How much?


>$300

rated:
$213.16 from the diamond settlement in the mail today

rated:
$97.00 in the mail today from diamomd settlement

rated:
emmd2001 said:   $213.16 from the diamond settlement in the mail today
Same...quite a surprise... recovered some $$ spent on wedding rings many years ago.

rated:
View said:   emmd2001 said:   $213.16 from the diamond settlement in the mail today
Same...quite a surprise... recovered some $$ spent on wedding rings many years ago.


Yeah we had an engagement ring and wedding bands included on our claim

rated:
About $90 for me from the DeBeers settlement. That is based on retail purchases of around $3K in jewelry and $1600 in lose diamonds. Nets out to about 2%.

rated:
The shape-up settlement just went through the court system and it will be several months still till we get our checks.

rated:
LexisNexis class action lawsuit settlement
Today I received a postcard letting me know that I'm a class member in a suit against LexisNexis for failing to treat their Accurant reports as consumer reports subject to FCRA. According to the card, you're a member if you "(1) requested a copy of an Accurint® report about you, and/or (2) you initiated or submitted a dispute or other inquiry about information in an Accurint® report about you." The settlement website is filedisputereportclass.com. Anyone who receives a postcard will automatically receive a payment if the settlement is approved by the court.

Cross-posted to the Finance forum: fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1278957/

rated:
Received this from Costco this morning regarding the purchase of Glucosamine:

If You Purchased Certain Joint Health Dietary Supplements,
You May Be Part of a Class Action Settlement
If you purchased certain joint health dietary supplements containing glucosamine that were manufactured or sold by Rexall Sundown, Inc. or NBTY, Inc. or their affiliates ("Rexall"), during certain periods of time and in certain geographic locations, you may be part of a class action settlement. As part of the settlement, you may be able to file a claim for cash. This notice is only a summary. For more complete information, and a list of all products covered by this settlement, please read the full notice by visiting the website www.GlucosamineSettlement.com, by writing to the address at the bottom of the notice, or by calling toll-free (888) 972-6583.
What Are My Legal Rights?
• If you wish to remain a member of the settlement class, you do not have
to do anything. To receive money, you must file a claim. If the Court approves the proposed settlement, you will be bound by all of the Court's orders. This means you will not be able to make any claims against Rexall or its customers that are covered by the settlement.

• If you wish to submit a claim, visit www.GlucosamineSettlement.com, and follow the instructions, or call toll-free (888) 972-6583 to obtain a claim form.
All claims must be submitted or postmarked by December 3, 2013.

• If you do not wish to be a member of the settlement class, you must submit a letter to the Settlement Administrator at the address below postmarked by August 1, 2013. If you request to be excluded from the settlement class you cannot submit a claim form.
Glucosamine Settlement c/o Claims Administrator
P.O. Box 170
Philadelphia, PA 19105-0170
(888) 972-6583

rated:
RE: glucosamine Classaction
claim limit 4 x $3 = $12 without documentation (receipts or containers with lot #s)
claim limit 10 x $5 with documentation

rated:
Symantec Norton Utilities / PC Tools Class Action.
I got an email for this one.
https://www.gross-settlement.com/

rated:
andrewrp said:   Symantec Norton Utilities / PC Tools Class Action.
I got an email for this one.
https://www.gross-settlement.com/


Isn't it ironic that the settlement website is secured by Norton?
Note:
Please enter the Unique Claim Code on this Claim Form. You can find the Unique Claim Code on the Settlement Notice that was emailed to Class Members.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014