• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just saw a great deal on the HP Office Jet online, but it is backordered. Was wondering if the in store will price match.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Costco warehouse and Costco on-line are mostly different items. Some items are indicated on-line that they they may be available for a "cash and carry price" in warehouses (yes, you can use your AMEX credit card). Where items are available in both venues, the warehouse price is usually slightly less than the "shipped" on-line price reflecting savings of s/h.

If this http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11737521&whse=B...
is the item you are referring to, you'll see language ont he "page" about possible warehouse availability.

BTW, for various reasons, (e.g. shipping costs to warehouses, warehouse location, local utility rebates on some items, inventory turnover) product selection and prices may vary somewhat between "warehouses".

Is the same, exact item available in store? If so, I would ask them to price match. Please let us know what they say

It seems the in store savings is proportional to the shipping (and perhaps insurance) costs. Larger items I've seen both in store and online are significantly cheaper in the store. The last laptop I looked at a couple of years ago was $50 cheaper in the store than online.

I've attempted before, it was a no go. But I guess each warehouse could be different, no harm in giving it a try

Turns out it was the same price at the store. So, sorry for bugging everyone.

tallenable said:   Turns out it was the same price at the store. So, sorry for bugging everyone.

thanks for the update and happy that it worked out for you ... hopefully this was a useful discussion for others ... happy to have participated

nwrain said:   It seems the in store savings is proportional to the shipping (and perhaps insurance) costs. Larger items I've seen both in store and online are significantly cheaper in the store. The last laptop I looked at a couple of years ago was $50 cheaper in the store than online.

We've found this to be true also.

Also, when you return an online purchase, Costco will refund the shipping and handling.

yelloe1213 said:   I've attempted before, it was a no go. But I guess each warehouse could be different, no harm in giving it a try

same here, tried once before, customer service counter said NO, I have to order online to get online price. Seems silly to me to turn down a sale when I'm standing right there. If you go home, there's the chance you'll find it somewhere else or change your mind.

gohdes said:   yelloe1213 said:   I've attempted before, it was a no go. But I guess each warehouse could be different, no harm in giving it a try

same here, tried once before, customer service counter said NO, I have to order online to get online price. Seems silly to me to turn down a sale when I'm standing right there. If you go home, there's the chance you'll find it somewhere else or change your mind.

I know it's resolved, but I'll briefly mention my experience too, which is the same as the two above. They won't do it. As it was explained to me, the online and in-store operations have very little to do with each other, and neither has the latitude to make price adjustments based on what the other is doing.

FWIW, this is becoming a very common issue. I ran into this with PETsMART too. Stores & online operations basically have too little to do with each other to honor price matches.

TrentSteel said:   gohdes said:   yelloe1213 said:   I've attempted before, it was a no go. But I guess each warehouse could be different, no harm in giving it a try

I know it's resolved, but I'll briefly mention my experience too, which is the same as the two above. They won't do it. As it was explained to me, the online and in-store operations have very little to do with each other, and neither has the latitude to make price adjustments based on what the other is doing.

Not entirely true. The local store gets credit for the online store if you're within its geographical influence. For example, if you live in zipcode 33333 and order an item from costco online, the local costco serving zip code 33333 will get credit for that purchase.

This was true a few years ago, I don't know if it's true today.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.