• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
What I have:
450 minutes
unl texting
unl data
Motorola Razr Maxx

What I want:
no minutes
no texting
just unl data
to use in a xyboard tablet or jetpack hotspot

then sign up for new service with verizon and purchase an iphone 5 with the share everything plan (unlimited talk/text/4-6gb data) and pool in 2 other smartphones from family members.

This would move my unlimited data plan to either a tablet with foxfi or a jetpack device and give me unlimited hotspot SEPARATE from the phone features.

Any help from wise gurus? Asking VZW reps getting mixed/uninformed answers and is like smashing your head against a brick wall...

So if i were to take the sim card from a wifi hotspot on a 3 gig data plan and put it in my thunderbolt, would i then have an htc thunderbolt with 3 gigs of data and no supported voice or text?

kimohands said:   So if i were to take the sim card from a wifi hotspot on a 3 gig data plan and put it in my thunderbolt, would i then have an htc thunderbolt with 3 gigs of data and no supported voice or text?

Correct. Fire up an app like Groove IP or Skype and use all the VoIP calling you want.

hirenrp said:   What I have:
450 minutes
unl texting
unl data
Motorola Razr Maxx

What I want:
no minutes
no texting
just unl data
to use in a xyboard tablet or jetpack hotspot

then sign up for new service with verizon and purchase an iphone 5 with the share everything plan (unlimited talk/text/4-6gb data) and pool in 2 other smartphones from family members.

This would move my unlimited data plan to either a tablet with foxfi or a jetpack device and give me unlimited hotspot SEPARATE from the phone features.

Any help from wise gurus? Asking VZW reps getting mixed/uninformed answers and is like smashing your head against a brick wall...


Honestly, you may be better off purchasing the iPhone 5 at full retail, and putting your family members on a cheaper smartphone like Straight Talk. It really depends on their usage habits, on what type of devices they want more than what you want. I think Share Everything is a rotten deal for most use cases.

I actually saw a you tube video to your problem. Buy someone's older 4g phone with an unlimited data plan (assume their wireless account through Verizon). Buy a used mifi jet pack and remove sim from the just purchased phone and place into jet pack. Check eBay, Craig's list or Amazon for these used items. Best part is that taking over somebody else's data plan is perfectly legal as is switching the sim to the jet pack.

3g 4g it won't increase your bill, at least it didn't when I upgraded my phone, try a free app called FoxFi to turn your phone into a hot spot for free...

asuka said:   hirenrp said:   What I have:
450 minutes
unl texting
unl data
Motorola Razr Maxx

What I want:
no minutes
no texting
just unl data
to use in a xyboard tablet or jetpack hotspot

then sign up for new service with verizon and purchase an iphone 5 with the share everything plan (unlimited talk/text/4-6gb data) and pool in 2 other smartphones from family members.

This would move my unlimited data plan to either a tablet with foxfi or a jetpack device and give me unlimited hotspot SEPARATE from the phone features.

Any help from wise gurus? Asking VZW reps getting mixed/uninformed answers and is like smashing your head against a brick wall...


Honestly, you may be better off purchasing the iPhone 5 at full retail, and putting your family members on a cheaper smartphone like Straight Talk. It really depends on their usage habits, on what type of devices they want more than what you want. I think Share Everything is a rotten deal for most use cases.


I would like to do the same. Already got an additional unlimited line thru AOL. But how do we get rid of the voice plan? Getting rid of texting is easy as Verizon readily allows it. But because I have a phone plan in a mifi, they won't do it. The agent keeps wanting to put me in a hotspot plan and cap my data. If I put the sim back in a phone, I don't think they would remove voice either because the phone number is tied to the voice plan. The company line I keep getting is that you can't have a plan without a phone number unless its a hotspot, which only supports 10gb plans at the highest. Anyone know of a workaround? Maybe a phone handset that they will allow data-only plans on?

Guys, finally after a lot of research for the past few days, I found out that this is not possible.

UNLIMITED DATA is an ADDON feature, just like any other feature, like road side assistance ( $3), detailed billing per number is $2/Month/each number or usage controls for $5, etc , etc, etc, etc blah blah blah


I was also trying to find a concrete answer for this problem.

FOR THE UNLIMITED DATA AT 4G LTE SPEEDS FROM VERIZON WIRELESS, YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE VOICE PLAN BECAUSE
THE TALK PLAN IS THE PRIMARY FEATURE AND THE UNLIMITED DATA PLAN IS THE ADDON.

Hope this clears a lot of doubts for many of us like me.


Thanks,
A J.

Hi guys, just a passerby here... I tried tethering my PS3 to my Droid Charge through foxifi... Didn't work out so well, not sure if it is because the phone isn't the best at performing this task, the app isn't good for it, or is 4g unable to handle online gaming? I can stream Netflix and Amazon in hd, but drop out of multiplayer games as soon as I join them. Could this be solved by swapping my sim into a mifi? If that's the case I'll just invest in one and completely rid myself of the Comcast shackles. Thanks in advance. This seems like a good place to hang out. I might just stay.

I also have an iPhone 4S with one year remaining and I am on the grandfathered plan. Remember its the PLAN that's grandfathered. Not the phone or the SIM card. It just so happens I was in a Verizon store today because I mistakenly thought I heard the new IPhone 5 had free mobile hotspot. Of course I was mistaken but here's what I found out about switching phones early:

I can keep my grandfathered plan if I pay Full Price for any phone now. The rep SAYS that when my contract period expires I can get a new contract renewal offer but I will have to pick one of the new data plans. He tried to explain how I don't use but about 1/2 GB each month so I can save money by switching. I'm thinking with 4TE, new 802.11 AC becoming available and all the streaming capability that entails, that might not always be the case. Newer technology is always more of an energy "hog".

I'm also willing to bet you can keep your grandfathered status when your contract expires if you don't accept any "renewal offers" then either. So, basically, gone are the days of subsidized phones as an enticement to renew your contract if you want to keep your grandfathered status.

The rep said everybody will have to pick a data plan when they renew their current contract but he was trying to switch me. I bet they get nice little bonuses for switching a GF customer to a finite plan. But I'm thinking if you just pay cash you are NOT renewing a contract...you are just going month to month on your per-existing contract!

He also told me if I bought a used Verizon phone on Craig's list or eBay they can transfer it to my account as long as it's Verizon-compatible.

To assume their wireless account you would have to keep the same name on it. That wouldn't be a problem for a spouse, child, father, etc., but not if it was sold to a stranger. You could certainly change the payment method, but any credit issues potentially arising from the person inheriting the account would be reflected on the original owner's credit.

Hoping someone can help with my scenario. I have a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot 3G (no SIM Card) with Unlimited Data ($59.99 p/m). I would like to switch to a 4G data card. Verizon told me that I cannot change from a 3G device to a 4G device. I was hoping I could buy a 4G data card on Craigslist and then just swap my 3G device for the 4G. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan., and currently have a 4G smartphone.
Can I use my 4G LTE card and swap it in my 3G Lenovo Android 1838 tablet (of course I'm only asking if it'll work at 3G speeds)?

DmartinfromMarietta said:   

He also told me if I bought a used Verizon phone on Craig's list or eBay they can transfer it to my account as long as it's Verizon-compatible.


Very good idea, I've done this several times.

DmartinfromMarietta said:   To assume their wireless account you would have to keep the same name on it. That wouldn't be a problem for a spouse, child, father, etc., but not if it was sold to a stranger. You could certainly change the payment method, but any credit issues potentially arising from the person inheriting the account would be reflected on the original owner's credit.

You do an Assumption of Liability (AOL) over the phone and it becomes your line, everything carries over as is.

phxhank said:   Hoping someone can help with my scenario. I have a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot 3G (no SIM Card) with Unlimited Data ($59.99 p/m). I would like to switch to a 4G data card. Verizon told me that I cannot change from a 3G device to a 4G device. I was hoping I could buy a 4G data card on Craigslist and then just swap my 3G device for the 4G. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is going to be tough. I do not think it is possible to switch from a 3G mifi 2200 to a 4G device and keep your unlimited plan.
Their employees are probably blocking it more so than anything.

You need to buddy up with some guy at a store who might be able to work out something for you along the lines of:
Obtaining a micro sim card: Easy
Obtaining a 4G LTE MIFI device: Easy
Transferring the old 3G unl plan to new sim: Almost impossible

reason is because they don't have a 4G unlimited plan for 60 bucks.

asuka said:   
But they stupidly let people keep these plans when they upgraded to LTE, and the 700 MHz auction rules require them to allow swapping of device types... Sans reprisal.

The problem is that Verizon's TOS prohibits running FoxFi or other tethering-bypass apps on your phone. But, they cannot prohibit using your LTE SIM in an iPad or MiFi.

Shouldn't the 700 MHz auction rules also prohibit them from not allowing tethering?

I've used FoxFi on my Droid Charge a few times during power outages and internet outages. I haven't had any issues with it. It works perfectly.

I am not a fan of the limited plans. I enjoy my unlimited plan. I don't mind limits, but the limits in place are very low. I consider myself a light user and I push 5gb per month easy. My renewal is coming up in a month...

Why should it prohibit tethering? The purpose of the rules were so that carriers would be forced to provide their customers with freedom of service and openness and not screw them over.

Hoping someone help with my scenario. I have an unlimited data plans with 4G LTE SIM card on a two year old phone. Most new 4G LTE phones have micro-SIM cards.

How can I switch from an existing SIM to a micro-SIM card while retaining my grandfathered plan?

Go to any corporate store and they will swap it out for you. A regular store might charge you or they might not. Remember don't upgrade through Verizon or you will lose your unlimited lines. You can buy phones on eBay or Craigslist and upgrade every 3 months or less frequently if you would like.

I am so confused! Can you please tell me a solution to this problem? I am in a Verizon family share plan with 5 phones. Two of the phones belong to me and my husband and we both have unlimited data, are at the end of our contracts, have iphone4s on 3G. Separate from that account, we have a MiFi account which is almost out of contract using a Samsung Jetpack 4G LTE SCH-LC11 with a 5 GB data allowance. Our share of the family plan plus our MiFi is about $180 per month.

We live in an area where our only choice is Verizon wireless so my laptop connection is through the MiFi. To do any Windows updates or general maintenance, I take my laptop to town and use a friend's connection or I would eat up all my 5GB data allowance.

My goal is to keep our unlimited data and would like a tablet somewhere in the mix. Right now, my smart TV is useless as it would reach my 5GB limit in no time and I have no way of connecting to it with my 3G iphone with its unlimited data.

Can you give me a specific solution? Also, I do not want to jailbreak the phones! Thanks...

granmomx3 said:   I am so confused! Can you please tell me a solution to this problem? I am in a Verizon family share plan with 5 phones. Two of the phones belong to me and my husband and we both have unlimited data, are at the end of our contracts, have iphone4s on 3G. Separate from that account, we have a MiFi account which is almost out of contract using a Samsung Jetpack 4G LTE SCH-LC11 with a 5 GB data allowance. Our share of the family plan plus our MiFi is about $180 per month.

We live in an area where our only choice is Verizon wireless so my laptop connection is through the MiFi. To do any Windows updates or general maintenance, I take my laptop to town and use a friend's connection or I would eat up all my 5GB data allowance.

My goal is to keep our unlimited data and would like a tablet somewhere in the mix. Right now, my smart TV is useless as it would reach my 5GB limit in no time and I have no way of connecting to it with my 3G iphone with its unlimited data.

Can you give me a specific solution? Also, I do not want to jailbreak the phones! Thanks...


Granmom,
The first thing you need to do is get a 4G LTE phone - PLEASE DON'T UPGRADE THROUGH VERIZON because you will lose your unlimited data.
You may have to borrow a friend's phone or buy a cheap one new/used.
Your iPhone 4 which is 3G only has no sim card, it's CDMA (chip only).
Once you get a 4G LTE phone, you need to take it to any Verizon Corporate store and they will give you a free 4G LTE sim card and switch your existing service plan from your iPhone 4 to the new 4G LTE phone.
Now you will have 4G LTE unlimited data in your cell phone.

From here you have two options. If you get an android which supports tethering you can turn your phone into a wifi hotspot and cancel your MiFi line.
Your 2nd option is to get an alternate cheap prepaid phone line for your talking purposes and use the unlimited data sim in your MiFi device.

Currently i'm doing the 2nd option myself. I find that my Mifi (a 15 hour, 5000 mAh extended battery purchased on eBay) works MUCH BETTER than the android cell phone tethering for several reasons:
1) the battery lasts longer and doesn't kill your phone like the built in tethering does.
2) the connections are much stronger and signal is much better.
3) the maximum number of devices is also greater (I have a jetpack 4620L and suggest you find a cheap one on eBay or CL)
4) it's not required to turn the hotspot on and off every time you want to use it (in your cell phone it is or your phone will die in 2-3 hours)
5) the battery lasts for a full day and my devices are always connected to it (always on connection).

Hirenrp,
Thanks for the info. Just a few more questions:
Does the iphone5 perform like the Samsung Galaxy 3s? In other words, will the iphone5 sim card work in the mifi device? My husband loves the iphone so I am trying to work it in the mix (he also has an unlimited data plan with his old iphone4). He is not so happy about swapping sim cards in and out, but if I'm not at home to use my sim in the MiFi, could he just use the phone as the hotspot (either a new iphone or android) AND get phone calls?) From what I read, it looks like the iphone5 can't do both on Verizon at the same time.

In any case, it looks like a cheap talking phone is in the picture to be used to forward calls to when our smart phones are busy as hotspots.

Just a heads up...

Verizon recently cancelled my unlimited data without my permission (they put me on a 5gb plan). The uninformed telephone agent made up some magic stuff that Verizon's network does and claimed the system changed my plan because my phone plan SIM cant be on a MiFi. After I told them I've been swapping SIMs since August, they modified the story to be that I did it for so long and now my account is flagged so if I do it again, they will change my plan again. Now those of us educated on the FCC rules allowing SIM swapping know they can't do that.

Needless to say, after gratuitous pissing and moaning, I did get my unlimited back. I'm going to but the SIM right back in the MiFi.

Btw, the MiFi (at least my 4510L) takes a standard size SIM and your iPhone 5 takes a nanoSIM. You'll need to buy a SIM adapter to hold your iPhone 5 SIM in the MiFi.

Ok, this is what I think I should do:

Buy someone's unlimited data plan on eBay.
Add that to my Family Plan.
Buy a phone that can be used as a hotspot. (Don't know which ones would work best - don't care about camera, screen, all the phone extras that I do not need, want, don't want to pay for.)
Activate that phone that can be a hotspot (don't know which one works best)
Use that phone as my hotspot so we don't have to swap sim cards, or forward calls to another line.

Don't know if this is cost effective.
Don't know whether a phone being used as a hotspot is as efficient as a mifi device. (Don't care about battery, this would be always plugged in.)
Don't know whether any of this is allowed under Verizon rules.
Don't know whether I should just activate the phone, then move the sim into my existing mifi and leave it there.

Would someone please figure this out for me?

I wish I knew I could have sold my unlimited data plan on eBay before i went to tmobile..

ok someone answer me this, I just called and I can reactivate my plan under the same terms including unlimited data, HOWEVER, they said that there is no way to transfer the account to someone else without losing the unlimited data......But I do see people selling these plans on eBay.

Just play nice with that agent until you get your line back. Then you call and talk to the Assumption of Liability department to transfer lines. Unlimited Data will transfer. You just have to talk to that department. None of the other agents seem to have access to do it.

thanks!

Can a Galaxy 3S phone that was activated on a dumb line due for an upgrade, be deactivated in a few days, dumb phone turned back on, and Galaxy given to me to activate on my iPhone 4 unlimited data line?
Is there an issue of waiting for the end of a billing cycle before swapping phones?
We are in a family share plan.

Answering my own message:
New phone was purchased on an ending contract dumb line, activated for 2 days, deactivated and dumb phone was reactivated.
I activated the new phone on my unlimited data line, but had to do it with a phone agent since trying to do it on the web site warned me that my data plan was no longer available.
So far, no hand slaps from Verizon.

Plan to buy a grandfathered plan wasn't implemented because we already have 5 active lines on our family share plan which is the max allowed.

asuka said:   Super hot deal if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon.

Verizon confirmed to a blog today that you can take your unlimited data plan, and move it from a smartphone over to a tablet or hotspot. They cited the new iPad and MiFi, but it looks like it will work with any Verizon LTE device.

For example, put your Smartphone SIM card into an LTE MiFi, and forward calls to a Page Plus phone. You now have unlimited data on your laptop with 4G LTE... and your calls go to cheap prepaid on the Verizon network (Page Plus uses Verizon).

This is an epic deal. The new iPad for Verizon costs $680 out in California, but by dropping the hotspot plan on my Verizon line, it'll pay for itself. And I get to justify a "free" iPad and its mobile hotspot feature. Sweet!

May not be for everyone, but it's awesome for me!!

Linky (long article)


Can someone please explain how I froward to a Page Plus phone (i.e. What is the process and what would I be paying)?

Right now I have a HTC Thunderbolt with mobile hotspot add-on (unlimited data) but if I put the SIM card into a MiFi I cannot drop the Voice and Text plan. I wanted to move the unlimited data to a MiFi and just have a phone with Voice and Text plan.

Thanks!

Dial *72 + The number you wish to forward to. For example, *725555555555 and hit dial. The Verizon LTE phone will then forward to the phone number you wish to forward to, such as a Page Plus phone.

You can then power off the LTE phone, take the SIM out, and put it in a hotspot/tablet. Calls to that Verizon number will go to your Page Plus/prepaid line, meanwhile the data will work inside your tablet/hotspot.

Finally, when ready to return the SIM card back to the phone, power the LTE phone back up (with SIM restored), and call *720. That will clear out the call forwarding.

1,000th post on FW.

OK Verizon gurus; please explain this to me. I have an unlimited grandfathered 3G plan on an iPhone 4s with Verizon. I understand that I can keep my unlimited plan if I pay full price for my new phone. (Don't need or want a new phone yet...) However, I am interested in adding an iPad to the plan. Can I add an iPad and keep unlimited data? Or do I have to switch to the shared plan for data??

asuka said:   soundfx4 said:   is nobody able to answer my question, or even shed some light on what I'm wondering about? :'(

Just saw your post above.

The easiest solution without expense, would be to swap the SIM out of your Droid Charge, and put it in the MiFi. Before you do, enable call forwarding on your Droid Charge, and forward calls to a prepaid phone.

When done surfing, take your SIM out of the MiFi and put it back in the Droid Charge, and disable call forwarding.

The only option to have both the Droid Charge and MiFi active simultaneously, would be to add a second line of service. The only way to pull that off, with unlimited data on both accounts, would be to do an Assumption of Liability on someone else's line with unlimited data. Those go for $250+ on eBay per line now, because of the value of unlimited data.




If you got a prepaid Verizon phone will you need to purchase minutes for that plan or will it run off your current minutes that you have with the unlimited data plan? Also let's say I had my calls forwarded to a prepaid phone and I received a picture message when I'm done using my mifi hotspot can I see that picture on my android or iPhone phone or will that picture only be viewed on the prepaid? Along that same question will my conversation i had on the prepaid appear back on my smart phone?

revabowling said:   OK Verizon gurus; please explain this to me. I have an unlimited grandfathered 3G plan on an iPhone 4s with Verizon. I understand that I can keep my unlimited plan if I pay full price for my new phone. (Don't need or want a new phone yet...) However, I am interested in adding an iPad to the plan. Can I add an iPad and keep unlimited data? Or do I have to switch to the shared plan for data??

Short answer: no. You MAY be able to get unlimited data on the iPad, by moving to LTE with your phone, and then moving the SIM to an LTE-capable iPad, but you won't be able to get unlimited data on both the phone and the iPad.

That said, the easy solution is just to get an Android phone, download the Pdanet app (about $7), and use your phone as a hotspot, for free, feeding your iPad over wifi.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014