Verizon, You Suck! No more dry-loop DSL internet

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Email said: Thank you for being a loyal Verizon customer.

At Verizon, we are committed to bring you the best suite of products and the most current capabilities, while providing the value and quality of service that you expect. From time to time, we must make changes to our product offering to meet these goals. Beginning May 6, 2012, we will no longer offer High Speed Internet without local voice service on the same account.

What does this mean for you?

If you currently have High Speed Internet without local voice service on the same account, there is no action required on your part to continue enjoying your internet service.
You will not experience any disruption of service.

Prior to May 6, 2012, you can still make speed upgrades or downgrades to your existing service.
Prior to May 6, 2012, you can receive bundle discounts by adding DIRECTV service or Verizon Wireless service to your current internet service.

What this means if you change or disconnect your High Speed Internet Service as of May 6, 2012, or after:
You can make changes to and retain your Verizon High Speed Internet Service on or after the above date, by adding Verizonís local voice service to the same account.
If you are moving your service from one location to another on or after the above date, you may subscribe to internet service at your new location if you also subscribe to Verizonís local voice service on the same account.
If you choose to subscribe to additional Verizon services you could be eligible for a bundled discount when you also subscribe to Verizonís local voice service on the same account.

Since we're going to move soon, what other companies offer dry-loop? We don't have landlines nor cable tv. All we want is the internet alone.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Dry loop is available at Lasercom for 37.95 per month ( 1000 ). Also available 49.95 for ( 3000 ) there are no other f... (more)

lasercomdsl (Aug. 27, 2012 @ 8:04a) |

Lasercom seems to be a good option. ATNDSL.com also has dry loop with decent rates, no contract, all-inclusive pricing,... (more)

megatemp (Sep. 19, 2012 @ 12:36p) |

I have found a solution, most of the people now-days have smart phones with data plan. Add $10 to your phone bill and yo... (more)

ivinio (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 10:13a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Where do you live?

I dropped Fios as they charge way to much for just internet so went with the local cable company, Cox. Cheaper and works fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I have not received such a notice. I hope this is not effective for all service areas. It will have to be staggered if customers have a yearly contract on dry loop. I might have to say adios to Verizon. Maybe I can go with DSL Extreme or something else. Time Warner cable internet is expensive and used to drop service at midnite almost every evening.

PsychoFan said:   Since we're going to move soon, what other companies offer dry-loop? We don't have landlines nor cable tv. All we want is the internet alone.

You can have Internet service from the cable company w/o subscribing to cable TV.

Weren't they required to offer Dry Loop by the FCC? Did something change on that end, and if so, when?

Found more about this on DSL Reports:

Verizon Stops Selling Standalone DSL to New Users
Tries to Keep Landline Relevant By Forcing You to Buy One
by Karl Bode 7 hours ago tags: dsl ∑ business ∑ consumers ∑ Verizon Online DSL

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Stops-Selling-Standal...

"Verizon is apparently traveling back in time -- back to when they stubbornly wouldn't sell customers a standalone DSL line (aka unbundled, naked or dry loop). According to users in our forums, Verizon is informing users that as of May 6, the company can no longer offer DSL service without attached local voice service. Fortunately, existing users appear to be grandfathered for as long as you remain connected."

It is good to be grandfathered in, but not good in knowing that I can't switch to cable and back to dry loop DSL again if I wanted to, or that internet prices in general might be heading up. Thinking like a criminal, this could enable Verizon to increase dry loop DSL prices to where it is maybe $1 less than with landline + DSL, or enable cable companies to increase their rates by $20 since they won't need to be as competitive as the more expensive DSL.

Wineaux said:   Weren't they required to offer Dry Loop by the FCC? Did something change on that end, and if so, when?

You may be referring to a two year period beginning in 2005 (link). Unfortunately the existing ISP oligopoly that substitutes for universal broadband is harmful to us as individuals and to our supposedly developed nation.

I am in same boat as OP.

I am VoIP with another company which I'm happy with. I have Verizon dry-loop for now but will be moving soon.

This is awful.

Does it matter if we complain to FCC?

orangetabby said:   I am in same boat as OP.

I am VoIP with another company which I'm happy with. I have Verizon dry-loop for now but will be moving soon.

This is awful.

You may or may not have a basis for a "complaint" to the FCC. The decision cited, appears Verizon did complies with the FCC agreement and regulation at this point.

Certainly, you can write to, and encourage the FCC Chairman Genachowski, who appears to be supportive of consumer choice, as well as contacting your representatives in Congress, to support universal broadband as well as to support AllVid or an alternative to it to limit control of CATV providers to rent boxes to customers, and to encourage competition in the delivery of programming/content to consumers. You can probably also go to to whitehouse.gov and indicate your opinion.

Vote with your wallet. If everyone that had dry-loop told them to take a hike at the same time, Verizon would be scrambling to get them back.

will quit dsl service soon

orangetabby said:   I am in same boat as OP.

This is awful.

Another FCC related item - CATV and Broadband

LETS SET A DATE TO DISCONNECT ALL OR MOST AT THE SAME TIME.
PEOPLE HAVE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY FOR FEW YEARS TO GAS COMPANIES

sorry about the caps, earlier

So that's it for reasonably priced broadband around me then. I'm like some of the other where I'll be moving in a few. I pay $35 for dry loop now. The cheapest unbundled broadband in an area of FIOS and Comcast is $55 for FIOS as far as their websites say. That's a real bummer for someone who really tries to pare down monthly bills.

I did not receive any such notice but probably will very soon and the sad part is I am also planning to move. Anybody has any good words about Clear Wireless 4G, they are also offering for $34.99

elstarvin said:   LETS SET A DATE TO DISCONNECT ALL OR MOST AT THE SAME TIME.
uh, no. Not successfully

Thanks for the info OP. I was thinking about getting my folks DSL in NY. But now i wont be able to. I have FIOS in VA i gonna call them up say Fu..u go to COX cable, even though FIOS has been flawless. I am gonna make sure they new why i am leaving. I think if at least few thousand people did this they might change their policy.

elstarvin said:   LETS SET A DATE TO DISCONNECT ALL OR MOST AT THE SAME TIME.

We need a day to call our representatives in Congress and demand either competition or regulation of broadband services.

The internet is the interstate highway of the now and the future. Without universal broadband we'll take the same back seat in high speed railway transportation to other countries in education as well. The land-based highway system is provided by the government. The internet is the replacement for POTS telephone service, which previously was highly regulated by the government with a universal service component. While "Carterphone" ended the must rent equipment from copper telco, the voice/text/video data carriers of today are returning us to the past.

elstarvin said:   sorry about the caps, earlier
You can just edit the post. No need to make a new post.

I wonder if this means there will be no ETF for those of us who have 2 year contracts and want out.

I figured I was grandfathered in and would have no problem with this decision. I came home from a week long business trip to discover no internet. On the phone with Verizon for an hour with Repair, Billing and Sales only to find out a Disconnect order had been put through on my account. No one knows by whom but it certainly wasn't me. They billed my credit card on June 22nd, though, the same day they disconnected me. I've been waiting for someone from Verzion to get back to me as to what is going on but no one has. If plan on disputing the charge with my credit card and going with Comcast. So even if you are grandfathered in, it doesn't appear you are protected if they decide to disconnect you for no reason.

I figured I was grandfathered in and would have no problem with this decision. I came home from a week long business trip to discover no internet. On the phone with Verizon for an hour with Repair, Billing and Sales only to find out a Disconnect order had been put through on my account. No one knows by whom but it certainly wasn't me. They billed my credit card on June 22nd, though, the same day they disconnected me. I've been waiting for someone from Verzion to get back to me as to what is going on but no one has. If plan on disputing the charge with my credit card and going with Comcast. So even if you are grandfathered in, it doesn't appear you are protected if they decide to disconnect you for no reason.

Dry loop is available at Lasercom for 37.95 per month ( 1000 ). Also available 49.95 for ( 3000 ) there are no other fees or taxes. No charge for modem pay only 35 for modem wifi router combo

Call 951 652 8500 Mon thru Friday. 9 to 5 pm. PST

Lasercom seems to be a good option. ATNDSL.com also has dry loop with decent rates, no contract, all-inclusive pricing, and a 'bring your own modem' option.

I have found a solution, most of the people now-days have smart phones with data plan. Add $10 to your phone bill and you can tether internet anywhere, anytime to any device. With Sprint on 4G i could juice up my computer between 4-5Mbps and now with new LTE internet provided by most cell companies can be anywhere between 7 to 10mbps and that is way more what Verizon offers with their dead-dry-loop DSL.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014