Breyer's no longer makes Ice Cream

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
rated:
Breyer's no longer manufactures ice cream but instead makes something called "Frozen Dairy Dessert" which is cheaper to produce. The cartons no longer say Natural Ice Cream in big letters, but says Frozen Dairy Dessert in tiny letters on the bottom. Of course, they shrunk the carton to 1.5 quarts from a half gallon long ago, while keeping the same price. Anyone who buys this Frozen Dairy Dessert has got to be crazy with all the additives and fillers they use to save money. I bought two cartons yesterday at Publix, and will go back to the store and get a refund for both cartons, even though I tried a couple of spoonfuls of their Cherry Vanilla. The store employees can finish the rest of the carton as far as I am concerned. It is practically inedible. I have been enjoying Breyer's Ice Cream for 30 years, but will not touch it since they pulled a "fast one" on the consumer. FYI

http://www.beachstreetnews.com/what-happened-to-breyers-ice-crea...

Member Summary

Breyer's (11.86kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
So since people have been talking about making their own ice cream. I've been making my own froyo (0% fat greek yogurt,... (more)

russ0519 (Jan. 02, 2013 @ 2:35p) |

WAIT....you mean, I've been eating beaver?????

Sonofspam (Jan. 03, 2013 @ 6:43a) |

Raise the temperature of the freezer a little bit.

MitchFlorida (Jan. 03, 2013 @ 7:15a) |

Since the OP will not correct the FALSEHOOD in the thread title, I put it here: While Breyer's also makes a concoction called "frozen dairy dessert," which can be debated regarding its quality, and some flavors that once were ice cream are now being made as froze dairy dessert, BREYER'S DOES INDEED STILL MAKE ICE CREAM!

-A public service announcement from someone who is not shilling for Breyer's, merely someone who is interested in basic factual integrity.

12/26/12: Breyer's FAQ that addresses some of this information and lists which flavors qualify as "ice cream" according to the FDA guidelines.

Friendly's also is a frozen dairy desert. Thanks for the heads up.

GeorgeGarman said:   Friendly's also is a frozen dairy desert. Thanks for the heads up.

Frozen Dairy Dessert? oh my!

By the way, all Edy's products are frozen dairy dessert as well, unless it says "Grand Ice Cream" in big letters.

If it say Extra Creamy Churned, it is basically just ice milk.

MitchFlorida said:   By the way, all Edy's products are frozen dairy dessert as well, unless it says "Grand Ice Cream" in big letters.

If it say Extra Creamy Churned, it is basically just ice milk.

Ice Milk I can deal with. but this frozen dairy dessert makes me wonder what the heck is in there. Will have to read the ingredients....

"Frozen Dairy Dessert: Milk, Cream, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Maltodextrin, Propylene Glycol Monoesters, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Mono And Diglycerides, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Carrageenan."

I would buy Breyers for the Maltodextrin and Propylene Glycol alone. the Diglycerides are just an added bonus.
Who needs Ice Cream when you can get your daily dose of Carrageenan here?

Breyers ice cream has not been (or tasted like) decent ice cream for quite some time. In half gallons, our favorite is Blue Bunny. In pints, I like Ben & Jerry's.

Half gallons? Are they any brands that still have that size? Most have shrunk to 1.5 qts., a few house brands I've seen are 1.75 qts.

I've noticed the change with Breyer's promoting their "Blasts" (fozen dessert containing things like Oreos, Snickers, Reeces, etc.), but they Breyer's still makes a real ice cream. There is a product webpage showing so: http://www.icecreamusa.com/products/original.aspx

The OP--especially the thread title, and the posted article, which is an op ed-type rant, are misleading. Perhaps certain flavors have changed and/or are no longer available, but some of the facts are missing here.

As far as I know, Blue Bell is real ice cream and comes in half gallon tubs.

The Breyer's website has not been updated. The change came about 6 weeks ago. Vanilla and coffee are still ice cream, but 90 percent of thier flavors are now frozen dairy dessert . enjoy!

I don't care if they sell it, but I don't like being deceived. The words are hidden in small letters so you won't read it until you get home. And frankly, the majority of people who buy Breyer's probably couldn't care less. But I do .sorry

http://www.bluebell.com/extra_scoops/coupons.html

Oh, I think plenty of people do care about this. I agree, there might be some deceptive marketing by Breyer's. I'll have to take a closer look at what is available the next time I go grocery shopping.

Seems odd to me that they wouldn't have an updated web page if a big change occurred six weeks ago. And while I would agree that while many flavors and varieties may no longer available, it is still misleading to say Breyer's no longer makes ice cream, if they still do (even if it is only a few flavors compared to what it once was).

From the wikipedia page, FWIW: One significant result of these cost-cutting practices has been that the majority of their U.S. products no longer contain enough milk and cream to actually be considered "ice cream", and are now labeled "Frozen Dairy Dessert" instead.[7] Likewise in Canada, where they are labeled "Frozen Dessert".[8] Ultimately, very few former Breyers all-natural products are still truly "ice cream".

billrubin said:   Breyers ice cream has not been (or tasted like) decent ice cream for quite some time.I agree. If Breyers was the only name brand on sale, I'd pass and buy the store "premium" brand.

I just got Breyer's Peach Ice Cream and it was delicious. But I had to sort through all the other stuff they have that is not real ice cream but is packaged to make it look as though it were. You need to bring a magnifying glass with you.

MitchFlorida said:   Who needs Ice Cream when you can get your daily dose of Carrageenan here?If you're really in Florida, as your username indicates, you're probably closer than most of us to a free source for all of the fresh carrageenan you could ever want. Carrageenan is seaweed extract. It makes dairy foods creamier.

excoriatorb said:   MitchFlorida said:   Who needs Ice Cream when you can get your daily dose of Carrageenan here?If you're really in Florida, as your username indicates, you're probably closer than most of us to a free source for all of the fresh carrageenan you could ever want. Carrageenan is seaweed extract. It makes dairy foods creamier.
It is really just a thickener so you will think that the skim milk they put in the product is really cream.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   billrubin said:   Breyers ice cream has not been (or tasted like) decent ice cream for quite some time.I agree. If Breyers was the only name brand on sale, I'd pass and buy the store "premium" brand.
I actually find some of the house brands of ice cream to be just as good as and sometimes better than name brands. Having once worked for a trade magazine publisher for the private/generic food industry, I can tell you that some of the private brands are essentially re-packaged versions of actual brands. (Many here probably realize this.)

Like many things edible, the best ice cream is homemade. When you put in your own milk, eggs, sugar, cream, and vanilla, you know what you're going to get. Some of my favorite episodes of Good Eats (man, I miss that show) are about making homemade ice cream and sorbet.

thanks for the tip, will avoid them, knowing it's "inedible".

Thanks OP Good to know

MitchFlorida said:   It is really just a thickener so you will think that the skim milk they put in the product is really cream.It's probably better than pink slime.

Watch this old Breyer's commercial that criticizes what they are now doing to the public!!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GlBK82nuA

All natural doesn't mean better. I just found out a few days ago that what is labeled as "natural flavoring" actually comes from the neither regions of a damn building mammal. If it is made with imitation vanilla then you are getting a hint of this juice.

I bet they use this too now. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum

I am going to stick with my favorite Breyer's all-natural vanilla bean ice cream. Wait...is it real ice cream?

hkgfnt said:   I am going to stick with my favorite Breyer's all-natural vanilla bean ice cream. Wait...is it real ice cream?

This is an excellent question and I too would like an answer - Breyer's natural vanilla bean ice cream is/was? probably my favorite ice cream, if it still is ice cream.

Yes indeed, it is really ice cream. It says so on the package. But most of the others are not.

It isn't like you can't taste the difference.

That's why I only buy ice cream from organic stores. usually dollar or more expensive.

From Wikipedia:
One significant result of these cost-cutting practices has been that the majority of their U.S. products no longer contain enough milk and cream to actually be considered "ice cream", and are now labeled "Frozen Dairy Dessert" instead.[7] Likewise in Canada, where they are labeled "Frozen Dessert".[8] Ultimately, very few former Breyers all-natural products are still truly "ice cream".

Stuff be nasty. Was it ever ice cream in the first place? Blue Bell/B&J/Hag ftw

ZenNUTS said:   From Wikipedia:
One significant result of these cost-cutting practices has been that the majority of their U.S. products no longer contain enough milk and cream to actually be considered "ice cream", and are now labeled "Frozen Dairy Dessert" instead.[7] Likewise in Canada, where they are labeled "Frozen Dessert".[8] Ultimately, very few former Breyers all-natural products are still truly "ice cream".

I posted this exact excerpt already. People really do skim through these threads without reading them closely.

OH NOS! It's a conspiracy!!!
/rolls eyes/

I don't believe everything that I read on the internet.
MOST of Breyers flavors have candy and cookies and junk in them.
According to their website it is THESE flavors and not the original flavors that are considered "frozen dairy desserts".

I will still happily (on occasion) eat the cherry vanilla if this is the case.
Breyer's website

Although I have written this, I will check to be certain at the store later.

To be called "Ice Cream" the govt. requires them to put in a certain amount of cream into the product. Cream costs much more than skim milk (check out the cost at your grocery), so it is cheaper to add skim milk and thickeners that approximate cream.

I would agree that when they are putting M&Ms, Snickers, Reese Pieces and Oreo cookies and caramel into the product, the taste of the dairy product is less important to kids , just as long as it is cold.

was at the supermarket today and noticed most of the Turkey Hill (I say most, cause I didn't check them all)..but most I saw did say "Ice Cream" on them. Of course they do make frozen yogurt and stuff too, and those wouldn't say ice cream.

Just got back from a shopping trip to three different stores and saw that there are still several varieties of real ice cream by Breyers including vanilla, chocolate, and chocolate chip. Then there are the "Blasts" which are fozen desserts containing mix-ins to ramp up the flavors and textures.

This has been an interesting topic of discussion but I again emphasize: the OP is misleading--especially the subject line--by stating that Beyers does not make ice cream when indeed they do.

MISTERCHEAP said:   GeorgeGarman said:   Friendly's also is a frozen dairy desert. Thanks for the heads up.

Frozen Dairy Dessert? oh my!

I think cigarettes should be called nicotine delivery devices...

This seems like a politically correct move on everyone's part!!!!

Not trying to be PC. Could it be the government changes the definition of ice cream and manufacturers have to comply? Big Brother can't do anything right but is very good in revising guidelines and definitions.

The only thing that has changed is that Holland-Based Unilever took over the company from Kraft several years ago and has been downgrading the quality ever since. My main issue is that they are trying to do it in a secret way, by using the same packaging they used to use for natural ice cream.

MitchFlorida said:   The only thing that has changed is that Holland-Based Unilever took over the company from Kraft several years ago and has been downgrading the quality ever since. My main issue is that they are trying to do it in a secret way, by using the same packaging they used to use for natural ice cream.
I *think* Unilever also owns Ben & Jerry's.

MitchFlorida said:   My main issue is that they are trying to do it in a secret way, by using the same packaging they used to use for natural ice cream.What do you want them to do? Change the packaging and put "No longer real ice cream!" in big letters? It's like asking companies that reduce the package size to advertise that in big letters. Not going to happen. The main issue is that they've lowered the quality of their product, which many of us used to enjoy.

I notice they pump tons of air into their stuff. So it's very light but you don't seem to get as much product.

my4mainecoons said:   MitchFlorida said:   The only thing that has changed is that Holland-Based Unilever took over the company from Kraft several years ago and has been downgrading the quality ever since. My main issue is that they are trying to do it in a secret way, by using the same packaging they used to use for natural ice cream.

I *know* Unilever also owns Ben & Jerry's:

In April 2000, Ben & Jerry's sold the company to British-Dutch multinational food giant Unilever.

MrVietnam said:   my4mainecoons said:   MitchFlorida said:   The only thing that has changed is that Holland-Based Unilever took over the company from Kraft several years ago and has been downgrading the quality ever since. My main issue is that they are trying to do it in a secret way, by using the same packaging they used to use for natural ice cream.

I "know" Unilever also owns Ben & Jerry's:

In April 2000, Ben & Jerry's sold the company to British-Dutch multinational food giant Unilever.

lol. Ben & Jerry's factory is 5 miles from my house but the only thing I pay attention to is when they're giving away free ice cream. They sell seconds in local convenience stores-- ie not enough chocolate, too much air; not enough that I notice.

Skipping 88 Messages...
russ0519 said:   So since people have been talking about making their own ice cream. I've been making my own froyo (0% fat greek yogurt, brended with various fruit). It tastes awesome freshly made, the problem is once you put it in the freezer, it gets frozen solid. Is there anything I can do to avoid that?

Raise the temperature of the freezer a little bit.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014