Directv offers for CURRENT customers?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I searched for this topic, but I couldn't find anything I could post to.

I have been a Directv customer since 2004. They have been fairly generous (3/4 of our tvs are HD, and we have receivers to match plus one of them is a DVR). But I've been generous, too, enrolling in their maintenance plan because I'm such a techno klutz plus I think the heat in the sunroom kills a receiver every year.

But I decided to call tonight because most of our incentives have run out, and the bill for Choice is over $100. I simply asked how long was my contract still in force because I needed to be making some changes.

I got an extension of the free HD for "life" (which was only 24 months . . . LOL . . . they didn't think we would live long?) for another year. It would expire in 2 months.

Plus I got another mysterious $10 discount. He didn't explain it . . . just said my bill would be under $100 with no contract extension.

I may be the only customer on earth that LIKES Directv, but I do. I have always tried to treat them fairly, and they have always done the same (with a little prodding on my part).

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I always go to the competitor (dish), use their best new customer incentive price, and have DirecTV match this. They do want you in another contract for the discount however. To be fully effective you have to be willing to walk away if they don't match, which is what I did with Dish last time.

That makes 2 of us - DirecTV fans.

Why do you have the maintenance plan for a LEASED receiver / DVR? Every time we get an error message on one of our DVRs, I call to request a new one - might have to pay for shipping. You should be able to get HD for life if you sign up to have your bill automatically charged to a credit card, $10 for AAA membership. With 2 DVRs, HBO package and I believe Choice, our monthly bill is just under $100 - MUCH less than ANY equivalent offering.

DirecTV will bring you sorrow, just wait.

BitemeIamtoxic said:   DirecTV will bring you sorrow, just wait.6+years - still waiting. Always had great customer service. Only 2 outages the whole time due to extreme weather.

The maintenance plan works for me. They send out a technician and equipment and also check every other receiver (I have 3 hd receivers and one hd dvr)at the same time. I have to have one or two replaced every year (the leased ones are all refurbs) so the math works for me.

Some of us are mechanically-challenged.

Just got off phone with DTV told them canceling to go to another service provided by my HOA. Customer since 1996...told them tired of no perks for the loyal customer. here's what they are offering and I have 5 days to think about it!
*3 new HD DVR's
*Whole House Service
*Free NFL Sunday Ticket for 2012/13 season
*Cinema Kit to be able to connect to internet
*Re-installation and new dish

Just got off phone with DTV told them canceling to go to another service provided by my HOA. Customer since 1996...told them tired of no perks for the loyal customer. here's what they are offering and I have 5 days to think about it!
*3 new HD DVR's
*Whole House Service
*Free NFL Sunday Ticket for 2012/13 season
*Cinema Kit to be able to connect to internet
*Re-installation and new dish

As to the maintenance plan,

If you have a monthly bill and that provides a picture on your tv and that stops working who should be responsible?
You?
I think not.

That is their equipment. You are just using it.
The performance of their equipment is completely their responsibility.

You would *never* have to pay to fix or replace equipment that belongs to them.
They provided it so they could have the pleasure of billing you monthly.

Why in the world would anyone pay for a maintenance agreement so they will fix equipment they own and are completely responsible for? I will never understand that.

It's their equipment! They are kind of dying for you to have it and use it.

Cancel that and just let them know that the performance of their equipment is solely their responsibility.
If their equipment fails to perform your contract will be void unless they fix it and darned fast.

A maintenance agreement of this type is what I call a scam.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014