KOHL's return policy changing for the worst

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
rated:
What I am posting is not a deal but since so many Kohl's deals get posted here, I felt it was best to post here so that people are aware of this change.

In the past, when you returned an item that was purchased and Kohl's cash was generated, you were given the option: (1) You could take a reduced item, OR (2) Take store credit for the amount of merchandise. The 2nd option is gone - at least that is what I was told by the cashier today.

Personally, from Kohl's standpoint, I always thought that the above options never made sense since it encouraged people to buy and return items and churn for Kohl's cash. So finally they have finally tried to fix it - but the fix is terrible. Consider the following scenario: You buy $50 worth of items and generate $10 Kohl's cash. Let us say that you go to return a $11 item. This return will bring the total of your purchase to $39 which should have generated no Kohl's cash. So that is exactly what Kohl's will do now - they will give you $11 and subtract $10 from the refund. So they will give you a $1. I wonder what happens when you return an item worth $8 - not sure if they will expect you to pay them $2.

A fairer system would have been to prorate the Kohl's cash on the refund. So in my example, the $11 would have subtracted $2.20 for the Kohl's cash. [Not completely fair since Kohl's cash is not exactly the same as real cash] but that would be a lot better than the new ridiculous return policy. And when I was in the store, I heard a jingle about Kohl's return being no problem - yeah right - returns are no problem - but you may get cheated in the process.

Kohl's will definitely be losing some of my business - particularly the online business since returns could end up being a real pain.

Incidentally, I wanted to return an item for which I had paid $14 and they were going to give me $4. So I chose to return without receipt and they gave me $18+tax in store credit. Only downside was that they did get my driver's license - so can't do this too often.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Do you work for Kohl's? Did you read the thread? Go read the first post - should be good enough to understand why the ne... (more)

PrincipalMember (Dec. 29, 2013 @ 2:15p) |

Why don't they just drop Kohl's Cash and offer lower sale prices? I think the whole thing is a scam. People think they... (more)

Imbroke2 (Dec. 29, 2013 @ 6:07p) |

I don't understand why they can't just make it so that you can't earn Kohl's cash if you use merchandise credit to pay. ... (more)

Dawndola (Dec. 31, 2013 @ 11:30a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am always given the option of a Kohl's instore credit. If I chose that they don't deduct the Kohl's cash. Obviously you cannot get any % discount that you would get using your Kohl's charge.

marmel518 said:   I am always given the option of a Kohl's instore credit. If I chose that they don't deduct the Kohl's cash. Obviously you cannot get any % discount that you would get using your Kohl's charge.

I was always given that option in the past. That option is now gone (unless I ran into one cranky cashier making up her own policy.

With regards to getting the % discount, you could always get that when buying things online. Let us say you bought $200 of items and you had $199 in store credit. You would apply that to your online order and charge $1 to your Kohl's charge and still get the full % discount on everything.

i just got store credit yesterday for returning.

I don't know what store you were in, but your assessment that this is a Kohl's policy is wrong. I was standing behind a lady just yesterday who returned nearly $100 in merchandise and she received the full amount of the return as a credit. One of her other options was to have a check mailed to her for the full amount from the Kohls corporate office. Kohls has and continues to have one of the best return policies in the retail world.

PrincipalMember said:   What I am posting is not a deal but since so many Kohl's deals get posted here, I felt it was best to post here so that people are aware of this change.

In the past, when you returned an item that was purchased and Kohl's cash was generated, you were given the option: (1) You could take a reduced item, OR (2) Take store credit for the amount of merchandise. The 2nd option is gone - at least that is what I was told by the cashier today.

Personally, from Kohl's standpoint, I always thought that the above options never made sense since it encouraged people to buy and return items and churn for Kohl's cash. So finally they have finally tried to fix it - but the fix is terrible. Consider the following scenario: You buy $50 worth of items and generate $10 Kohl's cash. Let us say that you go to return a $11 item. This return will bring the total of your purchase to $39 which should have generated no Kohl's cash. So that is exactly what Kohl's will do now - they will give you $11 and subtract $10 from the refund. So they will give you a $1. I wonder what happens when you return an item worth $8 - not sure if they will expect you to pay them $2.

A fairer system would have been to prorate the Kohl's cash on the refund. So in my example, the $11 would have subtracted $2.20 for the Kohl's cash. [Not completely fair since Kohl's cash is not exactly the same as real cash] but that would be a lot better than the new ridiculous return policy. And when I was in the store, I heard a jingle about Kohl's return being no problem - yeah right - returns are no problem - but you may get cheated in the process.

Kohl's will definitely be losing some of my business - particularly the online business since returns could end up being a real pain.

Incidentally, I wanted to return an item for which I had paid $14 and they were going to give me $4. So I chose to return without receipt and they gave me $18+tax in store credit. Only downside was that they did get my driver's license - so can't do this too often.

I think this has been always the case if you have receipt or traceable purchase(i.e. purchase made using KCC or any CC). But they used to refund full current price of the merchandise if you don't have the receipt and opt for store credit.Looks like that has changed, because last week I went to exchange the pair of pant without receipt, and cashier said either I can get 41.99 back in store credit or exchange it. The price on that day for the item was 69.99.

I think OP is right, I was walking past the returns counter the other day while shopping at Kohl's and I overheard the cashier say exactly what the OP has posted to one of the customers (who I presume was trying to return something that had resulted in Kohl's cash).

Made a return at Kohls last week that had Kohls cash involved. CS rep told my wife that if she wanted to get the monies back on a store credit, instead of crediting our Kohls charge card, that she would get to keep the Kohls cash... I thought that was pretty generous at the time. I know that they have changed the policy on redeeming Kohls cash... they used to take it after the redeeming window, but now they do not.

I was a Kohls employee for 5 years... Though I am 3 years out of date at this point, but here is what I think happened.

IF they are are still giving out the Kohls cash for that promotion aka the Kohls cash is before the date it can be redeemed you cannot return and keep the Kohls cash. IF they have ended the promotion aka you can redeem the Kohls cash then you CAN choose store credit and keep the Kohls cash.

It is possible this policy is changing/has changed, but I suspect this is what happened to OP. You tried to return while they were still giving out the Kohls cash so that option wasn't there. Go back next week and you will likely have the store credit option.

I had to explain this to people at least once a week at Kohls so got rather good at it.

Is it just me or are their prices inflated considerably on a lot of things?

jtroye32 said:   Is it just me or are their prices inflated considerably on a lot of things?

Regular price at Kohls is 50% off... Aside from a few brand name things like nike that holds true. Nike and similar brand names regular price is generally 15-30% off though when I left they were drifting towards 50% off being the norm for that stuff as well.

LordB said:   I was a Kohls employee for 5 years... Though I am 3 years out of date at this point, but here is what I think happened.

You are out of date! I have been shopping at Kohls for almost equal number of years (5+) and this is the first time the cashier insisted that I could not get $14 store credit - all I could get was $4. I would not have opted to return without a receipt if store credit was not fine with me.

mmtnc said:   I don't know what store you were in, but your assessment that this is a Kohl's policy is wrong. I was standing behind a lady just yesterday who returned nearly $100 in merchandise and she received the full amount of the return as a credit. One of her other options was to have a check mailed to her for the full amount from the Kohls corporate office. Kohls has and continues to have one of the best return policies in the retail world.

Do you know the full circumstances? Did the order generated Kohl's cash that had been used up? Once you have used up Kohl's cash, you can either get cash with Kohl's cash deducted or store credit. You can't have check mailed to you for the full refund. Now if you don't have a receipt, then they will probably agree to mail a check for the full amount.

I bought something online but was told the only way to return it was to bring it to the store. I wonder if they are still doing that?

PrincipalMember said:   What I am posting is not a deal but since so many Kohl's deals get posted here, I felt it was best to post here so that people are aware of this change.

Sounds like time for a new handle a'la SuckisStaples.
There should now be a new descriptive:

KrapisKohls

Yurg

Don't shop at Kolh's, gotcha.

LordB said:   jtroye32 said:   Is it just me or are their prices inflated considerably on a lot of things?

Regular price at Kohls is 50% off... Aside from a few brand name things like nike that holds true. Nike and similar brand names regular price is generally 15-30% off though when I left they were drifting towards 50% off being the norm for that stuff as well.

Their regular prices have always been really-really bad. But with a sale combined with 30% off and combined with Kohl's cash, there were some nice deals to be had. And during black Fri, rebates on top of all this made it really sweet since the rebate was not diluted by the 30% off and Kohl's cash. But this is why I say that Kohl's cash is not the same as regular cash. You could buy things at this great discount and everything with cash but then the following week, you may be stuck to paying regular price with Kohl's cash.

I ordered online via Kohls.com and never received an item and tracked the package they did get it back and they never credited my credit card so no more shopping with Kohl, screw me once and that is it!!! Great deals but I will pass. I wrote customer service and they said wait for 15 days to see a credit but nothing was credited. Its ok. Maybe I will learn to sew my own clothes, curtains and sheets.

geez....if people want to slam Kohls, go shop at JCPenney's instead

yeah the retail prices are high, that's why they ALWAYS have sales going on....and they DO have really good deals if you try

on topic: have not necessarily heard anything, it's very possible they changed it due to abuse?

I could imagine people going back and forth just to skim KC.

lordoffire said:   geez....if people want to slam Kohls, go shop at JCPenney's instead

yeah the retail prices are high, that's why they ALWAYS have sales going on....and they DO have really good deals if you try

on topic: have not necessarily heard anything, it's very possible they changed it due to abuse?

I could imagine people going back and forth just to skim KC.

There was a hell of alot of abuse with the Kohls cash. Originally they allowed people to get store credit for returns while it was still being given out. So people were buying say 5 dress coats, returning them for store credit and keeping the $50 Kohls cash, then go buy 5 more... return for more store credit and more Kohls cash. In a few hours they could easily get $500 store credit (most weren't quite that bad, but there were people doing this).

The rule that you could only do store credit when it wasn't still being given out at least meant that the cycles with this game were at least a week or 2 long (depending on how the promotions worked) but it didn't end it. It sounds like they are finally done with that game and making it impossible to do at all.

As someone who had to deal with these people I am happy they made the change if they really did. I still wouldn't discount though the store employee being an idiot and telling OP the wrong thing. I knew the rules... but I would say you had a 50/50 chance of an employee telling you the wrong thing when you asked about something like this.

LordB said:   

There was a hell of alot of abuse with the Kohls cash. Originally they allowed people to get store credit for returns while it was still being given out. So people were buying say 5 dress coats, returning them for store credit and keeping the $50 Kohls cash, then go buy 5 more... return for more store credit and more Kohls cash. In a few hours they could easily get $500 store credit (most weren't quite that bad, but there were people doing this).

That is because the original rule of store credit for the full amount itself was bad. Sure - they had to fix it - but they now have fixed it where people not trying to churn but have a $20 return in a $200 will get hurt. As I said in my original post, the fairer system would be to pro-rate the Kohl's cash over the return.

Originally, JCP messed up over this too. As an example, if you had a $10 coupon on $50, they kind of applied the coupon to one item. So if you returned other items, you got full price back on it. Over time, JCP realized their mistake and the receipts used to show a pro-rated refund value. I say used to since I don't know what is going on with the whole new JCPenney without coupons. It shouldn't be that hard to implement a pro-rated refund system. I suspect that Kohl's would end up paying a lot more somewhere down the line with this whole thing - this thing is getting ripe for a class action lawyer to hit them in their shins.

PrincipalMember said:   LordB said:   

That is because the original rule of store credit for the full amount itself was bad. Sure - they had to fix it - but they now have fixed it where people not trying to churn but have a $20 return in a $200 will get hurt. As I said in my original post, the fairer system would be to pro-rate the Kohl's cash over the return.

Originally, JCP messed up over this too. As an example, if you had a $10 coupon on $50, they kind of applied the coupon to one item. So if you returned other items, you got full price back on it. Over time, JCP realized their mistake and the receipts used to show a pro-rated refund value. I say used to since I don't know what is going on with the whole new JCPenney without coupons. It shouldn't be that hard to implement a pro-rated refund system. I suspect that Kohl's would end up paying a lot more somewhere down the line with this whole thing - this thing is getting ripe for a class action lawyer to hit them in their shins.

Math is not customer's strong point... believe me pro-rating would cause massive problems as people were convinced it was being calculated wrong. The 10 different discounts are already a huge problem there they don't need to make it worse :-/.

sap283 said:   
I think this has been always the case if you have receipt or traceable purchase(i.e. purchase made using KCC or any CC). But they used to refund full current price of the merchandise if you don't have the receipt and opt for store credit.Looks like that has changed, because last week I went to exchange the pair of pant without receipt, and cashier said either I can get 41.99 back in store credit or exchange it. The price on that day for the item was 69.99.

That's not correct. They always refund you the lowest selling price, typically going back to 30 days.

rsuaver said:   sap283 said:   

That's not correct. They always refund you the lowest selling price, typically going back to 30 days.

Also be careful using the returns without a receipt. There is a fairly low limit on the number of times you can do this. After about 3 returns it will start rejecting the return and there is nothing the cashier can do except arrange for corporate to call you.

Of course plenty of people pull the forgot wallet etc. and if you try a few times odds are you will get someone willing to fake it with a phone number or something... but they aren't supposed to.

LordB said:   

Math is not customer's strong point... believe me pro-rating would cause massive problems as people were convinced it was being calculated wrong. The 10 different discounts are already a huge problem there they don't need to make it worse :-/.

Before the new JCPenney, the JCP receipt would show you the items with their original price, sale price, coupon discounted price and finally the "return value". Personally, even with math being my strong point, this was great - no quibbling nothing - it was right there on the receipt - all done "fair and square".

This new policy is correct. My sister recently began working at Kohls and last week was trained on this new policy which goes into effect this week. So even if the merchandise credit worked for you last week, it will not (or at least should not according to new policy) work starting this week. Note that this applies to the purchase that earned the Kohls cash (not the purchase you make with the Kohls cash) or at least that was my understanding of what she explained to me.

Didn't happened to me when I did return today at Kohl's. I was given two options, as usual.

LordB said:   There was a hell of alot of abuse with the Kohls cash. Originally they allowed people to get store credit for returns while it was still being given out. So people were buying say 5 dress coats, returning them for store credit and keeping the $50 Kohls cash, then go buy 5 more... return for more store credit and more Kohls cash. In a few hours they could easily get $500 store credit (most weren't quite that bad, but there were people doing this).

The rule that you could only do store credit when it wasn't still being given out at least meant that the cycles with this game were at least a week or 2 long (depending on how the promotions worked) but it didn't end it. It sounds like they are finally done with that game and making it impossible to do at all.

As someone who had to deal with these people I am happy they made the change if they really did. I still wouldn't discount though the store employee being an idiot and telling OP the wrong thing. I knew the rules... but I would say you had a 50/50 chance of an employee telling you the wrong thing when you asked about something like this.

wow....at least it looks like they're doing SOMETHING to prevent it further on

LordB said:   Math is not customer's strong point... believe me pro-rating would cause massive problems as people were convinced it was being calculated wrong. The 10 different discounts are already a huge problem there they don't need to make it worse :-/.
I was going to say the same thing.

It sounds like a compromise but the whole point is to purchase a set amount to get the discount. That would mean you could return the item (and be under the limit) and still be getting a partial discount....vs. someone who didn't reach the limit (but essentially the same $ value as the other after return) and would not get any discount.

Ignore my original post, I misunderstood what part of the policy is changing.

Never mind - Emily Latella

sara85 said:   Note that this applies to the purchase that earned the Kohls cash (not the purchase you make with the Kohls cash) or at least that was my understanding of what she explained to me.Phew.. I originally misunderstood the change and thought it was on items purchased with the Kohl's Cash. Unless Kohls changes their policy to apply KC *after* coupons (which they really should since the current policy is unfair as it degrades KC value by 15-30%), many customers will continue to turn their KC into merchandise credits. I hope THAT return policy does not change.

billrubin said:    (which they really should since the current policy is unfair as it degrades KC value by 15-30%), .

You not liking it and it giving you less of a discount does not make it unfair.

Mind you I hate the games Kohls pays with the prices and discounts etc, but I really don't think you will see any company that gives you a promotion like this on the cost before discounts.

LordB said:   billrubin said:    (which they really should since the current policy is unfair as it degrades KC value by 15-30%), .

Mind you I hate the games Kohls pays with the prices and discounts etc, but I really don't think you will see any company that gives you a promotion like this on the cost before discounts.

Staples Rewards checks are treated like coupons and applied after percentage off coupons. Please give examples of other retailers doing it the way Kohl's does.

billrubin said:   LordB said:   billrubin said:    (which they really should since the current policy is unfair as it degrades KC value by 15-30%), .

Staples Rewards checks are treated like coupons and applied after percentage off coupons. Please give examples of other retailers doing it the way Kohl's does.

I think toysrus?

(directed to posts above) the new Kohls policy is true and being rolled out to all stores, it may not have hit "your" store yet. From what I've read elsewhere it seems all stores should have the policy in effect by the end of this month. And same here, I'd be fairly devastated if they changed the policy on items you BOUGHT with KC

gizmo said:   billrubin said:   LordB said:   billrubin said:    (which they really should since the current policy is unfair as it degrades KC value by 15-30%), .

I think toysrus?

(directed to posts above) the new Kohls policy is true and being rolled out to all stores, it may not have hit "your" store yet. From what I've read elsewhere it seems all stores should have the policy in effect by the end of this month. And same here, I'd be fairly devastated if they changed the policy on items you BOUGHT with KC

If only they had done that 5 years ago... At least 10 times I returned $500 worth of dress clothes that the people obviously bought to exploit the Kohls cash. I am actually surprised it didn't happen more TBH. Evidently it has reached a point where they finally did something about it.

One amusing day this guy, wife and kid were there each returning $200 of mens dress clothes ($100 dollar jackets mostly which by weight is the most expensive thing aside from jewelry) and cycling through multiple times... Getting tired of playing this game I go "You know I already asked I'm not allowed to deny your returns no matter how obvious it is you are abusing this can you please stop playing games and just return it all at once. I will give you separate cards if you want so they aren't too high for when you sell them on eBay." The guy then left... Though in truth what he was doing was probably somewhat smart to avoid standing out to much in whatever return reports they may have that would show just how much this was being abused, but on the other hand me calling Loss Prevention about him had to make him stand out even more.

But atlas we weren't allowed to do anything about it.

Some really basic information on refunds involving KC can be found here http://www.kohlscorporation.com/customer_service/ReturnsExchange/ReturnsExchanges.html#KohlsCash on the company website. I currently work as a customer service associate and at Kohl's. There was a huge issue with customers that abused the coupons and that is the reason for the change. Gizmo is correct that it has yet to hit all stores but I have to idea about when that will change. Whether or not it is fair is a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I think it is pretty fair since it is free money Kohl's has given you and if you are returning items you had to purchase in order to get the KC coupon then you didn't really earn it. Regardless, that is just my opinion and I'll agree that the change is a shock when they don't go out of their way to inform anyone about it. I will say that if you feel strongly about it you should contact the corporate customer service line and not yell at us at customer service. There is nothing we can do about it in the store and it won't help change policy for the better unless it goes to corporate.
So this is how it works...
If you have a return from a purchase you made before the new policy you will likely see no effect. Otherwise, when doing a return on a ticket you received KC you now have two options... 1) you can choose to keep the KC but your return will be decreased by the same amount 2) you can keep the full value of your return and decrease or void your KC depending on how much you earned and how much you are returning. For example, say you bought $150 of merchandise and got $30 KC. Now you want to return $100. Your KC coupon will decrease by $20 because after the return you spent only $50 and are only qualified to receive a $10 KC coupon.
If you have used the KC you earned on the transaction you are returning from you will lose some or all of the KC retroactively depending on the amount you earned, the amount you are returning and the amount of KC you have actually used. So in the same example... say you used all $30 KC and you are still returning $100 out of $150 originally spent. You get to keep the $10 KC you are now qualified for but you lose the extra $20 which comes off your return amount. In any of these cases getting a corporate refund will not change the outcome and will just make you wait for the check to be mailed which can take 5-6 weeks.
I heard that if you return all the items from the ticket you get to keep the full amount but I have not had this happen thus far and did not see that listed as an option in the forms so I can't confirm that.
I hope this helps!

gatorseal3 said:   Some really basic information on refunds involving KC can be found here http://www.kohlscorporation.com/customer_service/ReturnsExchange... on the company website. I currently work as a customer service associate and at Kohl's. There was a huge issue with customers that abused the coupons and that is the reason for the change. Gizmo is correct that it has yet to hit all stores but I have to idea about when that will change. Whether or not it is fair is a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I think it is pretty fair since it is free money Kohl's has given you and if you are returning items you had to purchase in order to get the KC coupon then you didn't really earn it. Regardless, that is just my opinion and I'll agree that the change is a shock when they don't go out of their way to inform anyone about it. I will say that if you feel strongly about it you should contact the corporate customer service line and not yell at us at customer service. There is nothing we can do about it in the store and it won't help change policy for the better unless it goes to corporate.
So this is how it works...
If you have a return from a purchase you made before the new policy you will likely see no effect. Otherwise, when doing a return on a ticket you received KC you now have two options... 1) you can choose to keep the KC but your return will be decreased by the same amount 2) you can keep the full value of your return and decrease or void your KC depending on how much you earned and how much you are returning. For example, say you bought $150 of merchandise and got $30 KC. Now you want to return $100. Your KC coupon will decrease by $20 because after the return you spent only $50 and are only qualified to receive a $10 KC coupon.
If you have used the KC you earned on the transaction you are returning from you will lose some or all of the KC retroactively depending on the amount you earned, the amount you are returning and the amount of KC you have actually used. So in the same example... say you used all $30 KC and you are still returning $100 out of $150 originally spent. You get to keep the $10 KC you are now qualified for but you lose the extra $20 which comes off your return amount. In any of these cases getting a corporate refund will not change the outcome and will just make you wait for the check to be mailed which can take 5-6 weeks.
I heard that if you return all the items from the ticket you get to keep the full amount but I have not had this happen thus far and did not see that listed as an option in the forms so I can't confirm that.
I hope this helps!

sorry, but it is not "FREE MONEY Kohls HAS GIVEN US", it is a promotion with conditions to spend money to get it. It's not handed out willy-nilly. I understand the reasons behind the change, but to take the attitude that somehow you did a customer a "favor" by giving them Kohls Cash will indeed get you yelled at. Kohls could have just as easily discounted the price of the items which earned you KC by 20%, instead they choose a hocus-pocus method of enticing sales. No, it should not be abused, but please don't act like it's some prize or charity money.

I'm with PrincipalMember and MISTERCHEAP on this one. I don't think it's fair to punish everyone for the abuse of a select few. I don't return items unless there's a major issue with the workmanship. I don't look at Kohl's Cash as free money. It's something I took into account when making the initial purchase. You don't think of rebates as free money, do you? I'm very disappointed to hear of this change.

gatorseal3 said:   
I hope this helps!

I don't have as much problem with the round number scenarios that you have talked about. Bigger issue is what happens when you return $101 worth of merchandise in your example. So if you return $100, you get back $80 - OK. You return $101, you get back $71. Ouch - what kind of corporate idiots designed this policy. It is not like items from Kohls's are bushels of grain or something that we can figure out how exactly to return $100.

Also, a good return policy would require that I should be able to return everything that I have bought and get back all my cash. Try doing that with Kohl's cash purchase where you have spent the Kohl's cash. I believe that you will end up receive partial cash and store credit for Kohl's cash - i.e. I don't believe there is anyway to undo the whole transaction. If there is, it must be very secret since the customer service agents at Kohl's don't know about it either.

> If you have used the KC you earned on the transaction

It is not as if KC has unlimited expiration. So a customer buys a item, spends the KC and then sometime later figures out that the item doesn't really fit or something. So go penalize him. Nice.

On top of all this idiotic return policies, we get to hear corporate jingles about how easy it is to return items at the store. Anyways, you guys completely lost my online business (and probably most of my business). My wife has no desire to deal with the new return policy where if you have a return something, you somehow have to get near $50 multiples to ensure that you don't get cheated by Kohl's. And as more people get shafted on the returns, they will refuse to shop too. Since you work for Kohl's please take that message to your management and get it fixed before you guys start losing customers since it is easier to lose them than to get them back.

youngbum is upset I just gave away their money making game :p

Skipping 229 Messages...
I don't understand why they can't just make it so that you can't earn Kohl's cash if you use merchandise credit to pay. I was at Kohl's yesterday, had a return with receipt of a $21 item and wanted the merchandise credit to keep the Kohl's cash, which is no longer an option. The woman told me the item is scanning at $36 and I can only keep the Kohl's cash if I find one item that is exactly $36. This makes no sense since I had the receipt and I payed $21. But what made even less sense to me is that I was not allowed to exchange the item for two items that add up to $36, it had to be ONE item! I walked around the store like a moron for 45 minutes, and did not see even ONE item that was $36 (and if I had seen one $36 item, what are the odds I would have wanted it?) So I found two items that add up to $36 and the woman told me that was not possible. It seems really unfair when you consider that people spend more money knowing they are getting Kohl's cash, but if you need to return something they screw you. Also, the item I was returning were leggings which can't be tried on in the store because they are packaged, but when I tried them at home they were too big, and they were the smallest size they make the leggings! So I really needed to return them but I would be getting a $21 refund, and then losing $10. It seems ridiculous. And I agree with people who said they should prorate the Kohl's cash, that would be fair too. But it seems like it would be easy to program their system so that you can't earn Kohl's cash from merchandise credit purchases, that's my thought anyway. I'll be going back today to try a return without a receipt. If they gave me the $36 in merchandise credit that would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014