KOHL's return policy changing for the worst

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
beyond827 said:   I went to Kohl's today to return something I bought with Kohl's Cash. The cashier informed me that a new policy is in place and I'd no longer get the KC portion back in merchandise credit. "Once it's spent, it's gone" were her words. This got me thinking,

Say I spend $50 on item A and earn $10 in KC. I then use the $10 KC to buy item B.
According to their new policy, if I return item B, I get nothing back (since it was purchased with KC). Now if I also return item A, I only get $40 back (since the KC was already spent). So I end up with a net loss of $10???

Since I had one pending return item (purchase on 3/2), I decided to test out the new return policy. Returned a $28 item where I had used $20 Kohl's cash and no problems - got back $28.63 in Kohl's merchandise credit.

By the way, after the return noticed that my Kohl's cash receipt has the following verbage: "For returns of merchandise purchased with Kohl's cash coupons, the value of the Kohl's cash coupon will be returned as Kohl's cash merchandise credit.". So if there is a problem, you can throw that part of the receipt at them.

So does your receipt say? Same thing or something different?

beyond827 said:   I went to Kohl's today to return something I bought with Kohl's Cash. The cashier informed me that a new policy is in place and I'd no longer get the KC portion back in merchandise credit. "Once it's spent, it's gone" were her words. This got me thinking,

Say I spend $50 on item A and earn $10 in KC. I then use the $10 KC to buy item B.
According to their new policy, if I return item B, I get nothing back (since it was purchased with KC). Now if I also return item A, I only get $40 back (since the KC was already spent). So I end up with a net loss of $10???

I had the exact same problem today. I earned $10 in KC last week or so which was redeemable this week. I went shopping again yesterday to use the KC. My total was about $45. Well this morning I decided that I no longer wanted two of the items I purchased so I returned them. When they were showin me what my return was they subtracted the $10 KC I used. They were supposed to give me back about $25 but since I used the Kohl's cash they were going to take another $10 off and give me $15 instead. I asked them if I could get the $10 in credit and the lady said no. I asked if i can get my $10 KC back and she said since it's not their promotion period they can't. It was either I return and lose the $10 KC or not return. She kept saying that I had earned the KC in that transaction which my receipt clearly says "10.00-" which means the KC was used not earned. And she told me I made this purchase last week and I told her to look at the date of the receipt, again clearly showing 3/11/13. I even pointed it out to her that the receipt says "for returns of merchandise purchased with Kohl's cash the value will be returned as credit etc." I don't know why she was so convinced I earned KC on the purchase I made yesterday especially after she said it wasn't the promotional period anymore. She tried to read the back print of the Kohl's cash laying on the countertop but failed. After fighting with me about it because she said there was no way to get that $10 back (even in credit which I was thinking I'd get) she ended up returning it as a no receipt transaction so I ended up with $25 in credit. And even after that point she still insisted on me giving back the KC, which was impossible because it was USED IN the transaction and NOT EARNED.

PrincipalMember said:   beyond827 said:   I went to Kohl's today to return something I bought with Kohl's Cash. The cashier informed me that a new policy is in place and I'd no longer get the KC portion back in merchandise credit. "Once it's spent, it's gone" were her words. This got me thinking,

Since I had one pending return item (purchase on 3/2), I decided to test out the new return policy. Returned a $28 item where I had used $20 Kohl's cash and no problems - got back $28.63 in Kohl's merchandise credit.

By the way, after the return noticed that my Kohl's cash receipt has the following verbage: "For returns of merchandise purchased with Kohl's cash coupons, the value of the Kohl's cash coupon will be returned as Kohl's cash merchandise credit.". So if there is a problem, you can throw that part of the receipt at them.

So does your receipt say? Same thing or something different?

This was an online purchase, and the KC email only says "Return value of merchandise purchased with a Kohl's Cash® Coupon may also be subject to adjustment" (same as the policy listed online). I think they're keeping it ambiguous until all the stores have rolled out the new policy

beyond827 said:   This was an online purchase, and the KC email only says "Return value of merchandise purchased with a Kohl's Cash® Coupon may also be subject to adjustment" (same as the policy listed online). I think they're keeping it ambiguous until all the stores have rolled out the new policy

For online purchases, the same language has been there for a while - at least since March 23, 2012. I checked the email from that date. So NO new language - but they always had the license to fix the issue.

My purchases from Kohl's are substantially reduced but if you have to buy, my suggested algorithm for Kohl's shopping:

- Order online - get FatWallet CashBack and save yourself the gas/hassle of going to the store and you can always get 30%.
- If you can, arm yourself with some gift cards bought at a discount [Sorry not planning to say anymore on this]. You can use them as long as your charge some token amount to your Kohl's charge.
- Order more than you really want to keep. As an example, if you wanted to keep $100 worth of stuff, you could order other things that you don't mind keeping to pad your order to $130 or $170 or whatever (numbers are after the 30% discount but before taxes). Give yourself wiggle room for returns by buying small items for the extras.
- Once the order comes in mercilessly figure out what you want to return. What you are shooting for is a good number after returning things. So for the order in the previous step, after returning things, your net total should be $50+change or $100+change or $150+change. If you really like a item and your total is going to be $120, no problem - return it to get your order to a nice number which is multiple of $50 and order your favorite item in the next ordering cycle. Be careful about clearance items - you may not be able to order them again. If you really liked your base set of items, all you will be returning are the additional items that your purchase. The additional items give you a cushion in case you want to return something from your base set of items and not get shafted on Kohl's cash.
- Return the items before you redeem the Kohl's cash. This may invalidate part of the Kohl's cash but that is fair and you are not stuck with too much stuff bought with Kohl's cash.
- With Kohl's cash, only buy items that you don't mind keeping if Kohl's has changed their policy on returns with Kohl's cash. Make sure that you don't try to spend any more than Kohl's cash.
- If policy not changed, return the item with Kohl's cash for merchandise credit.

I do realize that I am keeping Kohl's staff busy packing and shipping additional items - but this way, I can ensure that I am getting the maximum discount on my purchase. I shifted the burden of bad return policy back to Kohl's by creating more work for their staff .

Ladies and gentleman please let me clear some things up. I work at Kohls in the customer service department for a very long time. First of all we absolutely take any and all Kohls cash past experations date as long as the Kohls cash has any value on it, any cashier can check the available balance for you at any register. Second you earn $10 of Kohls cash Kohls cash for every $50 you spend after tax and after coupons, you need to pay more attention to the sub total instead of the final total. Now if you spend the 50 and get Kohls cash and you make any type of return you are in fact un-earning the Kohls cash you received, the only time your return amount is reduced is if you spend the. Kohls cash and then make a return on the reciept you earned the Kohls cash from, if you un-earn it they will take it back. The only policy that is changing is the shoe policy, Kohls will no longer take back worn and dirty shoes, so make sure to try them on clean floor and carpet.

By the way, did anybody notice that you don't have to necessarily spend $50 for Kohl's cash?

I spent only $48...

If you make a purchase within $2 of the Kohl's Cash earned criteria, you will receive Kohl's Cash. For example, if you place an order of $48, we will round that purchase up to $50 and distribute $10 Kohl's Cash.

PrincipalMember said:   By the way, did anybody notice that you don't have to necessarily spend $50 for Kohl's cash?It's been posted several times and it's in the QS of the Kohl's Coupons and Clearance thread.

I NEED HELP GUYS.

I RETURNED ITEMS FROM Kohls FOR A CORPORATE REFUND. THEY SAID THEY WILL NOT SEND ME MY MONEY BACK BUT WILL PICK UP MY ITEMS BACK FROM THE STORE. TWO WEEKS LATER NEVER HEARD BACK ON WHEN TO PICK UP THE ITEMS. CALLED IN TODAY TO ASK WHEN CAN I PICK UP THE ITEMS THEY SAID THAT THEY WILL NOT RETUNR MY ITEMS BACK TO ME. ESSENTIALLY THEY ARE KEEPING MY ITEMS AND MONEY....BASICALLY THEY ARE STEALING MY ITEMS & MONEY FROM ME....

WHAT DO I DO? HOW DO I GET MY STUFF BACK?

A corporate refund is the same as a send check. What that means is they think the items have been stolen. I am by no means saying you stole anything but when I worked in department stores those were the words used. If they think an item is stolen they say they will send a check that will never arrive. They have their merchandise back and they are whole again. Do you have the receipt for these items. If so there is no excuse for a corporate refund. If not then you are out of gas. I wish there was more I could tell you.

Lena2486 said:   I NEED HELP GUYS.

I RETURNED ITEMS FROM Kohls FOR A CORPORATE REFUND. THEY SAID THEY WILL NOT SEND ME MY MONEY BACK BUT WILL PICK UP MY ITEMS BACK FROM THE STORE. TWO WEEKS LATER NEVER HEARD BACK ON WHEN TO PICK UP THE ITEMS. CALLED IN TODAY TO ASK WHEN CAN I PICK UP THE ITEMS THEY SAID THAT THEY WILL NOT RETUNR MY ITEMS BACK TO ME. ESSENTIALLY THEY ARE KEEPING MY ITEMS AND MONEY....BASICALLY THEY ARE STEALING MY ITEMS & MONEY FROM ME....

WHAT DO I DO? HOW DO I GET MY STUFF BACK?

I would be curious to understand your history with Kohls that led to this. You are portraying yourself as Kohl's being the bad guy and you being the victim - but don't really know whether it is the other way around!

I hardly ever get to the "corporate refund" even when I do a return without a receipt.

lonelystarotron: A Kohls representative....
"Ladies and gentleman please let me clear some things up. I work at Kohls in the customer service department for a very long time. First of all we absolutely take any and all Kohls cash past experations date as long as the Kohls cash has any value on it, any cashier can check the available balance for you at any register. Second you earn $10 of Kohls cash Kohls cash for every $50 you spend after tax and after coupons, you need to pay more attention to the sub total instead of the final total. Now if you spend the 50 and get Kohls cash and you make any type of return you are in fact un-earning the Kohls cash you received, the only time your return amount is reduced is if you spend the. Kohls cash and then make a return on the reciept you earned the Kohls cash from, if you un-earn it they will take it back. The only policy that is changing is the shoe policy, Kohls will no longer take back worn and dirty shoes, so make sure to try them on clean floor and carpet."

After Kohls cash expires, their computer conveniently removes any value. Really, just another decoy, misdirection, lie. Kohls never quits deceit. False advertisement is illegal. This will end in court some day.

Yikes I had no idea about this new policy. Not that I purchased and returned just for the sake of the Kohl's cash. But nevertheless good to know.

Can i return and item and purchase it again at the customer support disk to apply the 30% off instead of the 15% i had two days before the 30%

mene said:   Can i return and item and purchase it again at the customer support disk to apply the 30% off instead of the 15% i had two days before the 30%Yes, but I don't think you need to return. Pretty sure they can apply the extra 15% to your existing receipt.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   mene said:   Can i return and item and purchase it again at the customer support disk to apply the 30% off instead of the 15% i had two days before the 30%Yes, but I don't think you need to return. Pretty sure they can apply the extra 15% to your existing receipt.

But do factor in Kohl's cash.

If you got the item when Kohl's cash was in effect, then such a price adjustment may throw you below the Kohl's cash threshold and make you lose that.

If you didn't get Kohl's cash at that time, then returning and rebuying may be better. You return, you buy the item and buy few other things to reach $50 and get Kohl's cash. If you just do a price adjustment, you will not be able to use that item's value towards Kohl's cash.

And what the hell are you doing buying items at 15%? Everybody knows that Kohl's comes up with 30% off + Kohl's cash. If you have too much money in your pockets, I can take some off your hands

PrincipalMember said:   
And what the hell are you doing buying items at 15%? Everybody knows that Kohl's comes up with 30% off + Kohl's cash. If you have too much money in your pockets, I can take some off your hands

If you had to buy an item as a gift in hurry and hence the 15% - then you can first buy the same item with the 30%+Kohl's cash. And since the old item has been gifted away, return the newly bought item with the old receipt. Kohl's doesn't know which item was bought with which receipt when the same item is involved.

In summary, during a return:
1. Kohls force customers to "buy" their "Kohls cash" with cash.
Three scenarios:
1st: return before kohl cash expires and didn't spend Kohls cash... congratulations... you're lucky. you can get your money back. Sometimes, the online order doesn't arrive until kohl cash expires...
2nd: didn't spend kohl cash, return original purchase when kohl cash expired... sorry, you have to buy your KC with true cash even you didn't use it....only (total paid - KC) will be returned...
3rd: you were forced to spend the Kohls cash before the expiration date (of course, no % off will be applied on the KC portion). Once the spending happens, if customers later want to return the original merchandise that earned KC, there is no way you could get your money back...even if you bring every thing back and try to return all of them, including the merchandise you purchased with KC. in this scenario, the best you can get is store credit. Now Kohls forces you to buy their store credit with your money!

In summary, as long as you decide to do a return after the KC expiration date... you are forced buy the KC with your own cash, no matter whether you used the KC or not, no whether whether you want to keep the merchandise purchased with KC or not.

2. cheats on tax
if 2nd or 3rd in item 1 happens... you want to return everything purchased in the initial transaction as well as that purchased with KC. although you paid tax on the full amount in the initial transaction, Kohls will only refund you tax on (total - KC). Kohls put the non-refunded portion of tax in their own pocket...

All we can do is to cross our fingers hoping we don't need to return anything. Don't you think we should start a class action?

sylviashen said:   2nd: didn't spend kohl cash, return original purchase when kohl cash expired... sorry, you have to buy your KC with true cash even you didn't use it....only (total paid - KC) will be returned...

That is not true. If you did not use your KCash you get full refund to your original form of payment. The system knows whether you used it or not, even after-the-fact.

sylviashen said:   Kohls put the non-refunded portion of tax in their own pocket...

It was actually paid to the appropriate State

gizmo said:   
sylviashen said:   2nd: didn't spend kohl cash, return original purchase when kohl cash expired... sorry, you have to buy your KC with true cash even you didn't use it....only (total paid - KC) will be returned...

That is not true. If you did not use your KCash you get full refund to your original form of payment. The system knows whether you used it or not, even after-the-fact.

that is YMMV, at least when my friend tried to do her return... her expired Kohl cash was subtracted from the total return amount. 

Hmm .. we are still arguing about this Kohl's cash . Just follow my previously described strategy. Works like a charm. So that you don't have to search, I am copying it from a previous post. If you are not following my tried and perfected recipe to avoid getting ripped off by Kohl's, then you deserve to be ripped off . And while you are getting ripped off, why don't you send me $100 via paypal - this way you can feel really good about getting ripped off royally and you can brag to your grand kids on how you did it. The recipe still holds true - the only wrinkle that needs to be added is "remember to register for Kohl's rewards". That stuff is too new for me but hopefully, just works transparently and puts more money in your pocket.

---------------------

- Order online - get FatWallet CashBack and save yourself the gas/hassle of going to the store and you can always get 30%.
- If you can, arm yourself with some gift cards bought at a discount [Sorry not planning to say anymore on this]. You can use them as long as your charge some token amount to your Kohl's charge.
- Order more than you really want to keep. As an example, if you wanted to keep $100 worth of stuff, you could order other things that you don't mind keeping to pad your order to $130 or $170 or whatever (numbers are after the 30% discount but before taxes). Give yourself wiggle room for returns by buying small items for the extras.
- Once the order comes in mercilessly figure out what you want to return. What you are shooting for is a good number after returning things. So for the order in the previous step, after returning things, your net total should be $50+change or $100+change or $150+change. If you really like a item and your total is going to be $120, no problem - return it to get your order to a nice number which is multiple of $50 and order your favorite item in the next ordering cycle. Be careful about clearance items - you may not be able to order them again. If you really liked your base set of items, all you will be returning are the additional items that you purchased. The additional items give you a cushion in case you want to return something from your base set of items and not get shafted on Kohl's cash.
- Return the items before you redeem the Kohl's cash. This may invalidate part of the Kohl's cash but that is fair and you are not stuck with too much stuff bought with Kohl's cash.
- With Kohl's cash, only buy items that you don't mind keeping if Kohl's has changed their policy on returns with Kohl's cash. Make sure that you don't try to spend any more than Kohl's cash.
- If policy not changed, return the item with Kohl's cash for merchandise credit.

I do realize that I am keeping Kohl's staff busy packing and shipping additional items - but this way, I can ensure that I am getting the maximum discount on my purchase. I shifted the burden of bad return policy back to Kohl's by creating more work for their staff http://static3.fatwalletcdn.com/static/i/spacer.gif. 

Hi, I think the Kohls cash return policy might have changed back to the old ways. I returned a large purchase where I received $50 in Kohls cash today. I used the Kohls cash and I also returned what I purchased with the Kohls cash (since I thought it would be deducted from my original purchase). I received the full amount in merchandise credit. They did not deduct any Kohls cash anywhere. Anyone else have this experience?

I just had a similar bizzare experience. I ordered $212 (before tax). They didn't ship me approx $12 worth of stuff - so my new total $200ish. When I ordered, I had ordered a Small and Medium jacket - was going to return whichever size didn't work for my son. Returned one jacked for $75ish - there was no Kohl cash adjustment for Kohl's cash that I still had with me.

But to say the least, this is the most bizzare transaction ever. I used a bunch of gift cards and charged $6ish to Kohl's charge. Since they didn't ship me $12 worth of stuff (and were never going to ship either), they didn't charge anything to my Kohl's credit card and one of my gift cards has its full amount of $33 back. I was thinking that my return experience with no adjustment was due to this somewhat messed up transaction.

This is the kind of crap that Kohl's needs to fix. Nobody should get more money refunded to them if they don't ship everything, and they should pro-rate the Kohl's cash.

How does the KC thing work with gift receipts? If I give someone a gift (for which I earned KC) plus gift receipt and they, unbeknownst to me, return it for store credit, am I out of luck when I go to use the KC? That makes sense, but kind of sucks, since the return is out of my control.

listen, the whole Kohls cash thing was put in place because of people cheating the system, going in buying a bunch of stuff getting Kohls cash, returning all the items keeping the Kohls cash on a mc and then doing it all over again, when you think about it, it's a coupon, there is no cash value.....if it were your company, and people did this all the time, your company would be loosing money, no???? so why should you get to keep the Kohls cash and return your item??? doesn't make any sense...then you use the Kohls cash that you earned and return it all so you just used a coupon, that was free, that had no cash value and returned all the items, do you expect to get Cash Back, no you shouldn't get anything because it's a coupon, not cash!!! dumbasses

shopper41 said:   listen, the whole Kohls cash thing was put in place because of people cheating the system, going in buying a bunch of stuff getting Kohls cash, returning all the items keeping the Kohls cash on a mc and then doing it all over again, when you think about it, it's a coupon, there is no cash value.....if it were your company, and people did this all the time, your company would be loosing money, no???? so why should you get to keep the Kohls cash and return your item??? doesn't make any sense...then you use the Kohls cash that you earned and return it all so you just used a coupon, that was free, that had no cash value and returned all the items, do you expect to get Cash Back, no you shouldn't get anything because it's a coupon, not cash!!! dumbasses

Do you work for Kohl's? Did you read the thread? Go read the first post - should be good enough to understand why the new system is not good (unless you work for Kohl's).

Why don't they just drop Kohl's Cash and offer lower sale prices? I think the whole thing is a scam. People think they are getting a good deal and as long as you have no returns, you can get great deals but when an item doesn't work out and has to be returned, Kohl's definitely comes out on the better end of the deal. They wouldn't give it out so much if it wasn't a good deal for them.

I don't understand why they can't just make it so that you can't earn Kohl's cash if you use merchandise credit to pay. I was at Kohl's yesterday, had a return with receipt of a $21 item and wanted the merchandise credit to keep the Kohl's cash, which is no longer an option. The woman told me the item is scanning at $36 and I can only keep the Kohl's cash if I find one item that is exactly $36. This makes no sense since I had the receipt and I payed $21. But what made even less sense to me is that I was not allowed to exchange the item for two items that add up to $36, it had to be ONE item! I walked around the store like a moron for 45 minutes, and did not see even ONE item that was $36 (and if I had seen one $36 item, what are the odds I would have wanted it?) So I found two items that add up to $36 and the woman told me that was not possible. It seems really unfair when you consider that people spend more money knowing they are getting Kohl's cash, but if you need to return something they screw you. Also, the item I was returning were leggings which can't be tried on in the store because they are packaged, but when I tried them at home they were too big, and they were the smallest size they make the leggings! So I really needed to return them but I would be getting a $21 refund, and then losing $10. It seems ridiculous. And I agree with people who said they should prorate the Kohl's cash, that would be fair too. But it seems like it would be easy to program their system so that you can't earn Kohl's cash from merchandise credit purchases, that's my thought anyway. I'll be going back today to try a return without a receipt. If they gave me the $36 in merchandise credit that would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014