KOHL's return policy changing for the worst

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
Also it should be posted that they take expired Kohls cash or they shouldn't have expiration dates. I overheard another customer being told that they always take expired cash. That infuriates me because I have thrown out the expired cash.

Say I return something that was$440 that I used a $400 Kohls cash and $40 on my Kohls charge. How will they handle the return credit? THANKS for helping

I had $40 Kohls cash that I used to purchase an outdoor rug that was around $50. I didn't care for the color after seeing it on my deck and tried to return it, assuming I would get in store credit. They would only offer around $10 back on my card, and no in store credit at all for the Kohls cash that I had redeemed. So basically, how I understood it, was that if you do any return whatsoever where you had redeemed Kohls cash, you are totally out of that if you make a return - no store credit.

spud5617 said:   Say I return something that was$440 that I used a $400 Kohls cash and $40 on my Kohls charge. How will they handle the return credit? THANKS for helping

They should give you a $400 store credit and $40 credit on Kohl's charge.

nursegabbard said:   I had $40 Kohls cash that I used to purchase an outdoor rug that was around $50. I didn't care for the color after seeing it on my deck and tried to return it, assuming I would get in store credit. They would only offer around $10 back on my card, and no in store credit at all for the Kohls cash that I had redeemed. So basically, how I understood it, was that if you do any return whatsoever where you had redeemed Kohls cash, you are totally out of that if you make a return - no store credit.

Try again - you should have receive $40 store credit. Unless they changed something with regards to this in the last week, I had done something similar a week ago and received the store credit.

Today I returned something I bought with my 10.00 Kohls cash and they did not refund the 10. Please note: I did not return any of the items I bought in my first purchase that totalled 50. I told them why would we want to spend more than 50 if the Kohls cash is only good as long as you dont return what you buy with the Kohls cash. So you lose Kohls cash if you return a purchase you used your Kohls cash for regardless.

So only use your Kohls cash on items that there is no chance of returning. Or you lose it.

ChristyStraw said:   Today I returned something I bought with my 10.00 Kohls cash and they did not refund the 10. Please note: I did not return any of the items I bought in my first purchase that totalled 50. I told them why would we want to spend more than 50 if the Kohls cash is only good as long as you dont return what you buy with the Kohls cash. So you lose Kohls cash if you return a purchase you used your Kohls cash for regardless.

So only use your Kohls cash on items that there is no chance of returning. Or you lose it.


You people got me scared. I had one item bought mostly with Kohl's cash with the intention of converting to store credit and if the policies had changed as you described, I would be stuck. So anyways, before Kohl's messes up with more policies I decided to return my item today. Item was $24.51 or something like that. Receive $4.51 back to my Kohl's charge and received $20 store credit. No hassles - transaction went smooth as silk!

I had a couple of other items to return for which I knew I would almost get $0 due to this new return policy. Had the wife return them without receipt. Received more store credit than I would have under the old return policy. I hate taking advantage of the store - but is either them taking advantage of me or me taking advantage of them. I guess the latter wins.

Does anybody know how many returns can you do at Kohl's without being blacklisted? Seems like the way to go until they fix their return policy.

I love reading these post. If you don't like the new policy do not come to Kohls to shop. I work at Kohls store #1173 and I love the new policy so go somewhere else and shop.

kelleecubano said:   I love reading these post. If you don't like the new policy do not come to Kohls to shop. I work at Kohls store #1173 and I love the new policy so go somewhere else and shop.

That is exactly what I am doing - not shopping at Kohls. You know the recent sale that Kohl's had - 30% off and Kohl's cash, I didn't buy anything. Yea!

Really hoping that the downturn in Kohl's business with the new policies throws people like you out of a job.

so if you return something bought with Kohls cash, you lose the value. then you return something from the same order in which you earned the Kohls cash. will you also lose the "earned" Kohls cash when if you value goes below the $50? thats like double dipping if they do..

anyone confirm this?

looks like a lot of business will be lost

kelleecubano said:   I love reading these post. If you don't like the new policy do not come to Kohls to shop. I work at Kohls store #1173 and I love the new policy so go somewhere else and shop.I really do not think it is a bright idea to post that and say that you are an employee (and I don't know if that is your real name, or maybe your real first name so corporate can figure out who you are).

But since you do claim to be an employee, can you tell us if these reports of people returning stuff purchased with Kohls Cash and not getting a KMRC back are accurate? I understand you lose the valid of the KC when you return the items from the original order if you go under the $50 threshold that caused it to be generated. But we were still supposed to be able to get the KC credit if we returned the item purchased with the KC.

bonhamls said:   I am also a very irritated customer. I tried to return something and was going to lose 20 dollars so for now I still have it. To me they are stealing from the customer because just like someone else said you can never return everything and get your entire purchase back even if you return the kc purchase. I buy a lot from Kohls and I return a lot.

Once I get my last few returns resolved and credits spent I will find a new place to shop. The math has always been in the stores favor but now even more so.

The math is not in the store's favor. However, it is no longer in the customer's favor, either. It's now equal.

You spend $50, you get $10 in Kohls Cash, so you have $60 in merchandise+credit. You return something for $15 and only get $5 back. So you spent $45 but still have $45 worth of merchandise ($35 + $10). If you return the item before you spend the KC, the KC gets voided out (or reduced) and you get the full amount back, and you still have the $45. Basically they are doing the same thing as would have happened if you only spent $45 to begin with, when you would not have been entitled to get the KC. Previously, you'd get the $15 back in credit and kept the KC and would have ended up with the full $60 worth of merchandise+credit even though you didn't really buy $50 worth of stuff and should not have received the KC.

I will acknowledge this is confusing since I had trouble just writing it up! To avoid problems not getting the full amount back, avoid spending your KC until the end of the redemption period when you have returned most of what you want to. Then you can get your full purchase amount back and they will have reduced your KC by the appropriate amount.

billrubin said:   bonhamls said:   I am also a very irritated customer. I tried to return something and was going to lose 20 dollars so for now I still have it. To me they are stealing from the customer because just like someone else said you can never return everything and get your entire purchase back even if you return the kc purchase. I buy a lot from Kohls and I return a lot.

Once I get my last few returns resolved and credits spent I will find a new place to shop. The math has always been in the stores favor but now even more so.

The math is not in the store's favor. However, it is no longer in the customer's favor, either. It's now equal.

You spend $50, you get $10 in Kohls Cash, so you have $60 in merchandise+credit. You return something for $15 and only get $5 back. So you spent $45 but still have $45 worth of merchandise ($35 + $10). If you return the item before you spend the KC, the KC gets voided out (or reduced) and you get the full amount back, and you still have the $45. Basically they are doing the same thing as would have happened if you only spent $45 to begin with, when you would not have been entitled to get the KC. Previously, you'd get the $15 back in credit and kept the KC and would have ended up with the full $60 worth of merchandise+credit even though you didn't really buy $50 worth of stuff and should not have received the KC.

I will acknowledge this is confusing since I had trouble just writing it up! To avoid problems not getting the full amount back, avoid spending your KC until the end of the redemption period when you have returned most of what you want to. Then you can get your full purchase amount back and they will have reduced your KC by the appropriate amount.



The math is in their favor and confusing. The reason it is in their favor is because returning an item, takes away your discount on other items. Instead of going through the trouble of reinventing the wheel, did you look at previous examples that I have posted - here you can refresh your memory.

------

Here are 2 examples:

1. Let us say you buy 5 items - each for $10. Ignore any discount for simplicity and just use Kohl's cash. For buying these items, Kohl's gave you a $10 discount in the form of Kohl's cash. Now you turn around and buy a 6th item from this cash. So overall, you have 6 items for $50. Each item price = $8.33. You are feeling good that you got an item at a fairer price compared to their normal day - "nobody buys at this price" tags. Then you go to return one item. Kohl's basically is going to now dock you $0 for the return of the item because of Kohl's cash. So now you would be left with 5 items for $50 that you have spent. Each item now cost you $10 each. How does that make sense - how can returning one item jack up the price of your items? I consider that cheating.

2. Same example as previous. Let us say you want to undo the whole transaction. You cannot. For the item that you spent Kohl's cash, they will give $10 store credit and for the other items, they will deduct the Kohl's cash and give you $40. In effect you can't even return and get back to the original state. In my dictionary that is cheating too.

PrincipalMember said:   1. Let us say you buy 5 items - each for $10. Ignore any discount for simplicity and just use Kohl's cash. For buying these items, Kohl's gave you a $10 discount in the form of Kohl's cash. Now you turn around and buy a 6th item from this cash. So overall, you have 6 items for $50. Each item price = $8.33. You are feeling good that you got an item at a fairer price compared to their normal day - "nobody buys at this price" tags. Then you go to return one item. Kohl's basically is going to now dock you $0 for the return of the item because of Kohl's cash. So now you would be left with 5 items for $50 that you have spent. Each item now cost you $10 each. How does that make sense - how can returning one item jack up the price of your items? I consider that cheating.
How is this any different than if you'd originally planned to spend $40 but added another $10 to get the KC? I often look at it as "I'll spend another $10 and it's free since I get the KC". If I had not bought the extra item, I would not have gotten the KC. They're changing the policy so you end up with the same amount (including KC) as a result of returning the item as you would have to begin with. Is it not as good a deal? Yes, but so is spending $40 instead of $50 to begin with.
2. Same example as previous. Let us say you want to undo the whole transaction. You cannot. For the item that you spent Kohl's cash, they will give $10 store credit and for the other items, they will deduct the Kohl's cash and give you $40. In effect you can't even return and get back to the original state. In my dictionary that is cheating too.If you do it before you use the Kohls cash you certainly can. It will just void it out, same as it did before.

And personally I think the whole nonsense of "I'm not shopping at Kohls and I'll go elsewhere" is just ridiculous. Where are you going? JCP with their non-sales? Macy's with their overpriced stuff and restrictive coupon rules?

billrubin said:   How is this any different than if you'd originally planned to spend $40 but added another $10 to get the KC? I often look at it as "I'll spend another $10 and it's free since I get the KC".It's different because I might not have bought whatever item at the price they were selling it for were it not for the KC making the deal sweeter. I don't just spend $10 extra to get something "free." Rather I consider the KC in my price comparison to other stores such as Amazon, for example. (Think back of the KitchenAid stand mixer deals where people effectively reduce the price of the item by the KC it generated.)

And yes, I will consider shopping elsewhere from now on. A big draw of Kohl's over Amazon was the ease of returns if needed. No messing with shipping stuff back and keeping track of a return that way.

MissCrabette said:   It's different because I might not have bought whatever item at the price they were selling it for were it not for the KC making the deal sweeter. I don't just spend $10 extra to get something "free." Rather I consider the KC in my price comparison to other stores such as Amazon, for example. (Think back of the KitchenAid stand mixer deals where people effectively reduce the price of the item by the KC it generated.)And if they returned the mixer, they should have forfeited the KC they earned, rather than ending up with a full refund AND a $30-40 KMRC. Your example is an extreme case and it's also the sort of thing that explains why they changed the policy.

Alright, so the mixer was an extreme example, but I gave it so you could see how people think of KC as reducing the amount spent. Imagine someone buying $50 of various (somewhat overpriced) items. Is it right that they should have their entire $10 in KC taken away if they return one small item? I think store credit would be a much better deal, and I'd be OK with them saying that store credit cannot earn KC. I think that would be fair. Either that or they should prorate the return.

Yes if you return items that was purchase with Kohls cash you WILL receive a store credit. It says it on the receipt and also in store back by customer service area. Example you buy a suit for $100.00 dollars you use $60.00 Kohls cash and you pay the rest with credit card when you return the item you will get a store credit for $60.00 and the rest will go towards your credit card. Now with the dollar off coupons you DO NOT receive it back on a store credit any more. It used to be that way. One thing though is if you bought and item back in March and used a dollar off coupons like a 10 off 30 and you return the item you will loose that 10 off unless you bring it to the attention of the person that is handling the returns that it said on the bottom of the receipt that if the item is returned the 10 off will be returned as a store credit. We can give out a $10.00 store credit for that if it says it on the receipt. Just make sure you bring it to our attention.

billrubin said:   kelleecubano said:   I love reading these post. If you don't like the new policy do not come to Kohls to shop. I work at Kohls store #1173 and I love the new policy so go somewhere else and shop.I really do not think it is a bright idea to post that and say that you are an employee (and I don't know if that is your real name, or maybe your real first name so corporate can figure out who you are).

But since you do claim to be an employee, can you tell us if these reports of people returning stuff purchased with Kohls Cash and not getting a KMRC back are accurate? I understand you lose the valid of the KC when you return the items from the original order if you go under the $50 threshold that caused it to be generated. But we were still supposed to be able to get the KC credit if we returned the item purchased with the KC.


Yes if you return items that was purchase with Kohls cash you WILL receive a store credit. It says it on the receipt and also in store back by customer service area. Example you buy a suit for $100.00 dollars you use $60.00 Kohls cash and you pay the rest with credit card when you return the item you will get a store credit for $60.00 and the rest will go towards your credit card. Now with the dollar off coupons you DO NOT receive it back on a store credit any more. It used to be that way. One thing though is if you bought and item back in March and used a dollar off coupons like a 10 off 30 and you return the item you will loose that 10 off unless you bring it to the attention of the person that is handling the returns that it said on the bottom of the receipt that if the item is returned the 10 off will be returned as a store credit. We can give out a $10.00 store credit for that if it says it on the receipt. Just make sure you bring it to our attention.

billrubin said:   And personally I think the whole nonsense of "I'm not shopping at Kohls and I'll go elsewhere" is just ridiculous. Where are you going? JCP with their non-sales? Macy's with their overpriced stuff and restrictive coupon rules?

First of all, even though JCP keeps saying non-sales, they are still having sales. They just have some color coded nonsense that you need to decipher. Main attraction for Kohl's was that you could order stuff online and if you didn't like it, take it back to the store. Now that they have made the returns stacked in their favor, I would only buy if I was 200% sure that I am not going to return the item. So like it or not, they will lose business. Additionally, it is not as if I am hurting for clothes or something. I have enough new stuff to last for a while - so no urgency of "I have to buy now". The stores know this too and that is why they try to make it so attractive that you can't resist. But now I have good reason to resist and ignore their sales.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that you only have JCP/Macy's as competitors. At least for me, I live very close to factory outlet malls. The prices are generally on par with Kohl's. Now that the attraction of hassle free online shopping with Kohl's is gone, the factory stores will most likely end up getting more of my business too.

Even if a minor % of people start slowing down their Kohl's purchases, what happens? The same stores sales number relative to last year will show a decrease. This is the magical number that drives the stock price on the Wall street and the CEO's/management's compensation.

And by the way, Kohl's is not going to be able to keep the ill-gotten gains. Sooner or later, some state attorney general is going to take them on for their unfair practices and slap a hefty fine on them. Or a class action law suit waiting to happen. So talk about a double/triple whammy - lose your customers, make less money by paying fines/lawyers and get acknowledged publicly as a crooked company. Nice going CEO! A couple of smug remarks from Kohl's employees will be my trigger for filing a complaint with CA attorney general!

My biggest issue with Kohl's new policy surrounding the earning and redemption of Kohl's cash is that the stores never posted any signs regarding the policy change. I shop Kohl's all the time and unless directed to do so, why would one read the message on the bottom of the receipt after every purchase? I feel Kohl's implemented this policy underhandedly. I am an MVC customer is didn't receive anything by mail or email regarding the policy change. I expect more from Kohl's.

PrincipalMember said:   
And by the way, Kohl's is not going to be able to keep the ill-gotten gains. Sooner or later, some state attorney general is going to take them on for their unfair practices and slap a hefty fine on them. Or a class action law suit waiting to happen.

I think this is all very unlikely to happen because anyone who looks at this as an outsider is going to view keeping the KC once you return the items as "ill-gotten gains", to use your words.

billrubin said:   PrincipalMember said:   
And by the way, Kohl's is not going to be able to keep the ill-gotten gains. Sooner or later, some state attorney general is going to take them on for their unfair practices and slap a hefty fine on them. Or a class action law suit waiting to happen.

I think this is all very unlikely to happen because anyone who looks at this as an outsider is going to view keeping the KC once you return the items as "ill-gotten gains", to use your words.

Why do you insist on calling it that? If the refund is in the form of store credit, they STILL have your money.

I agree. I am definitely taking my business elsewhere. I cannot begin to tell you the $$ I have spent at Kohls over the years. Shoes, clothes, towels, sheets, comforters, outside
furniture/tables/cushions, holiday decorations, etc. I bought most everything there. I can find lots of these things at Target and other stores. I know people have had issues
at Macys. I have not. I have returned things there bought with $ off coupons or % off coupons. With the $off coupons they prorate the discount, so I have never felt like I lost
it all like I now do at Kohls.

I was the one who posted a while ago that I tried to return a crockpot and was only going to get $2 for it. This item was actually a gift that I returned instead of the receiver
of the gift. What if I had instead given them a gift receipt. They would have gone to return it to get $2 back on a gift? What could they buy instead? It would have instead
looked bad for me the gift giver that I spent $2 on a gift. BTW, I also do a large portion of my Christmas shopping at Kohls. Not anymore because I would hate to be in a situation
like that.

Also to the Kohls employee that told people to go elsewhere, shame on you. It's attitudes like that that will cause further lost sales for Kohls.

PrincipalMember said:   billrubin said:   And personally I think the whole nonsense of "I'm not shopping at Kohls and I'll go elsewhere" is just ridiculous. Where are you going? JCP with their non-sales? Macy's with their overpriced stuff and restrictive coupon rules?

First of all, even though JCP keeps saying non-sales, they are still having sales. They just have some color coded nonsense that you need to decipher. Main attraction for Kohl's was that you could order stuff online and if you didn't like it, take it back to the store. Now that they have made the returns stacked in their favor, I would only buy if I was 200% sure that I am not going to return the item. So like it or not, they will lose business. Additionally, it is not as if I am hurting for clothes or something. I have enough new stuff to last for a while - so no urgency of "I have to buy now". The stores know this too and that is why they try to make it so attractive that you can't resist. But now I have good reason to resist and ignore their sales.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that you only have JCP/Macy's as competitors. At least for me, I live very close to factory outlet malls. The prices are generally on par with Kohl's. Now that the attraction of hassle free online shopping with Kohl's is gone, the factory stores will most likely end up getting more of my business too.

Even if a minor % of people start slowing down their Kohl's purchases, what happens? The same stores sales number relative to last year will show a decrease. This is the magical number that drives the stock price on the Wall street and the CEO's/management's compensation.

And by the way, Kohl's is not going to be able to keep the ill-gotten gains. Sooner or later, some state attorney general is going to take them on for their unfair practices and slap a hefty fine on them. Or a class action law suit waiting to happen. So talk about a double/triple whammy - lose your customers, make less money by paying fines/lawyers and get acknowledged publicly as a crooked company. Nice going CEO! A couple of smug remarks from Kohl's employees will be my trigger for filing a complaint with CA attorney general!

I wont go back either. I have spent thousands of dollars. But losing my 10.00 just because I returned something I bought with Kohls cash was rediculous. And I will repeat. I returned nothing from my original 50. They did not give me store credit. Maybe some stores are differant. I know mine will NOT let you go 1 day over if your Kohls cash expires. I told them that policy lets you extend your cash 2 weeks was the latest I heard. She said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ChristyStraw said:   I wont go back either. I have spent thousands of dollars. But losing my 10.00 just because I returned something I bought with Kohls cash was ridiculous. And I will repeat. I returned nothing from my original 50. They did not give me store credit. That is not what the policy change was supposed to affect. You should still be getting a KMRC for purchases made with KC.

MissCrabette said:   billrubin said:   PrincipalMember said:   
And by the way, Kohl's is not going to be able to keep the ill-gotten gains. Sooner or later, some state attorney general is going to take them on for their unfair practices and slap a hefty fine on them. Or a class action law suit waiting to happen.

I think this is all very unlikely to happen because anyone who looks at this as an outsider is going to view keeping the KC once you return the items as "ill-gotten gains", to use your words.

Why do you insist on calling it that? If the refund is in the form of store credit, they STILL have your money.

And YOU have $60 worth of product and merchandise credit, bur you only paid $50 for it.

billrubin said:   
And YOU have $60 worth of product and merchandise credit, bur you only paid $50 for it.


You would have sixty dollars' worth of products and/or merchandise credit that you paid only $50 for whether you returned an item or not. How is that an "ill-gotten" gain? It's a promotion that the store chose to run.

MissCrabette said:   billrubin said:   
And YOU have $60 worth of product and merchandise credit, bur you only paid $50 for it.

You would have sixty dollars' worth of products and/or merchandise credit that you paid only $50 for whether you returned an item or not. How is that an "ill-gotten" gain? It's a promotion that the store chose to run.
You returned the item. You no longer spent $50. Had you not spent $50 to begin with, you would not have been entitled to the "promotion that the store chose to run." (i.e., the $10 bonus).

If you returned the item before you spent the Kohls Cash, the Kohls Cash would have been invalidated and you would have gotten the entire $50 back, right? Do we agree on that? So clearly Kohls intended for you to only have $50 in that case. If you have used the KC, they can no longer take it back, so they take it off the refund.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I give up. I'm going to stop trying to explain it.

So how would it work if: a customer purchase $50 of merchandise and earned $10 Kohls cash. spend the $10 Kohls cash and then returned the items $50 that made her earned the Kohls cash..So now, will she get charged w/ using the Kohls cash since she returned the $50 purchase..????

Just got hit with this today. I returned an item that earned the Kohl's cash last week. Stupid people deducted $10 from my refund since I had used the Kohls cash too the same day. Didn't know this new unfair policy. Fair should be that they should take 20% off from each item (10 of $50 is 20%). I am really pissed.

consumer1 said:   Just got hit with this today. I returned an item that earned the Kohl's cash last week. Stupid people deducted $10 from my refund since I had used the Kohls cash too the same day. Didn't know this new unfair policy. Fair should be that they should take 20% off from each item (10 of $50 is 20%). I am really pissed.

Return without receipt (they will ask for your driver's license). I don't know how exactly it works - but gather 2-3 items and return them together. Hopefully, that counts as 1 negative against your name versus returning 3 items separately. Once you are done with handling past purchases, stop shopping at Kohl's or only buy things that won't return. By the way, if you have a dog with a driver license, have him return items too .

I think it's kind of ironic that the honest people who never took advantage of the Kohls cash are now being backed into a corner and doing what the people did who made this policy change come about--returning things without receipts. Would be interesting to know if Kohls has seen an increase in returns without receipts.

PrincipalMember said:   consumer1 said:   Just got hit with this today. I returned an item that earned the Kohl's cash last week. Stupid people deducted $10 from my refund since I had used the Kohls cash too the same day. Didn't know this new unfair policy. Fair should be that they should take 20% off from each item (10 of $50 is 20%). I am really pissed.

Return without receipt (they will ask for your driver's license). I don't know how exactly it works - but gather 2-3 items and return them together. Hopefully, that counts as 1 negative against your name versus returning 3 items separately. Once you are done with handling past purchases, stop shopping at Kohl's or only buy things that won't return. By the way, if you have a dog with a driver license, have him return items too .

sap283 said:   PrincipalMember said:   What I am posting is not a deal but since so many Kohl's deals get posted here, I felt it was best to post here so that people are aware of this change.

In the past, when you returned an item that was purchased and Kohl's cash was generated, you were given the option: (1) You could take a reduced item, OR (2) Take store credit for the amount of merchandise. The 2nd option is gone - at least that is what I was told by the cashier today.

Personally, from Kohl's standpoint, I always thought that the above options never made sense since it encouraged people to buy and return items and churn for Kohl's cash. So finally they have finally tried to fix it - but the fix is terrible. Consider the following scenario: You buy $50 worth of items and generate $10 Kohl's cash. Let us say that you go to return a $11 item. This return will bring the total of your purchase to $39 which should have generated no Kohl's cash. So that is exactly what Kohl's will do now - they will give you $11 and subtract $10 from the refund. So they will give you a $1. I wonder what happens when you return an item worth $8 - not sure if they will expect you to pay them $2.

A fairer system would have been to prorate the Kohl's cash on the refund. So in my example, the $11 would have subtracted $2.20 for the Kohl's cash. [Not completely fair since Kohl's cash is not exactly the same as real cash] but that would be a lot better than the new ridiculous return policy. And when I was in the store, I heard a jingle about Kohl's return being no problem - yeah right - returns are no problem - but you may get cheated in the process.

Kohl's will definitely be losing some of my business - particularly the online business since returns could end up being a real pain.

Incidentally, I wanted to return an item for which I had paid $14 and they were going to give me $4. So I chose to return without receipt and they gave me $18+tax in store credit. Only downside was that they did get my driver's license - so can't do this too often.


I think this has been always the case if you have receipt or traceable purchase(i.e. purchase made using KCC or any CC). But they used to refund full current price of the merchandise if you don't have the receipt and opt for store credit.Looks like that has changed, because last week I went to exchange the pair of pant without receipt, and cashier said either I can get 41.99 back in store credit or exchange it. The price on that day for the item was 69.99.


Oh oh, you will only got whatever the lowest price of the item(s) currently in their system w/ your DL info if you ever want to do a return w/o receipt - good practice is always ask for the price first before you hand them to CSR for the return w/o receipt.

Bobobo said:   

Oh oh, you will only got whatever the lowest price of the item(s) currently in their system w/ your DL info if you ever want to do a return w/o receipt - good practice is always ask for the price first before you hand them to CSR for the return w/o receipt.


Good point. (1) You should know what you paid for the item, (2) Know what you will get when returning with receipt and factoring in Kohl's cash shenanigans, (3) Know what the refund value without receipt is. Once you have all 3, then you can make the best decision.

In my case, I had purchase the item with 30% discount code. Receiptless return generated the same price. So I was fine with returning without receipt because with receipt, I would have received $10 less.

> I think this has been always the case if you have receipt or traceable purchase(i.e. purchase made using KCC or any CC).

The whole idea is that we don't want them to trace. If they trace, we are back to square one. So if they ask, how you paid for it, just say - "Paid with gift card". That should shut them up about trying to trace it.

I know. I thought that logic was strange.

I am so happy! I only got a 15% this time! Yay! Now I won't be tempted to shop there.

I actually got a 30% but did not go in to shop.

Shelties4me said:   I am so happy! I only got a 15% this time! Yay! Now I won't be tempted to shop there.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014